General Character Discussion Thread

Papa Bear

1) No, its not on 6th edition any more. That's one of the reasons (among others also being dropped) that you only take 60 points in complications unlike the 'good old days' where you'd have like 150 points worth of them.

2) acting

climbing

concealment

conversation

Deduction

native language (4 points’ worth, includes literacy)

paramedics

persuasion

one ps (professional skill) at 11- (a character’s job, hobby, or the like)

shadowing

stealth

Transport Familiarity: small Motorized ground vehicles

Area Knowledge: home country or region 8-

Except for the Professional Skill, all Everyman skills require an 8- (8 or less) roll to be successful. There is no cost discount for buying the 'full' version of an Everyman skill. The rules are on page 22-23 of the Champions Complete book, if you have it.

This Hero Lab documentation is not only useless, but aggravating. I read the section on Multipowers because it's unclear from the UI how to make one, and three times the documentation has referred me to other sections of the documentation instead of just telling me how to do it.

Edit: I figured it out. You have to select the Multipower in the left pane, and then double click on the Power in the right pane to add it to the Multipower.

Edited by hakootoko (see edit history)

I'm looking for some help parsing the Movement Abilities "Usable as [Additional Forms of Movement]" modifier.

While it seems straightforward, pay 1/4 for to have use a different type of movement, but the more I read the details the less sense it makes. Because you're supposed to buy the "most expensive" movement you want but it doesn't say if this is Base Cost, Active Points, or Real Points. Some of those would make the modifier modify itself. And the example it gives is Flight vs Swimming saying you must buy Flight but Swimming is still in 1 CP increments just you get 2m instead of 1m.

I'm looking to do a "Not Quite Flight" super movement set so I'm trying to see what how this crunches against just getting Multipower.

Variable advantages add the cost of the advantage to the more expensive power, thus buying flight over swimming. The points spent on the 'main' power are like a mini- Multipower pool so if you buy 20m of Flight, you'd get 40m of swimming from the same pool (with the extra cost of the alternate form advantage). Chances are, you don't want 40m of swimming. Its a way to pay only a small 'fee' for multiple movement powers since, in a way, a second movement power is unnecessary... do you really need 20m of Running and 20m of Flight... the differences are very minor... yes, flight allows vertical movement, but you only get 1d6 against Knockback instead of the 2d6 for ground bound running (more friction, I guess... it makes sense, sort of... otherwise flight would have to cost more than running). However, since the powers are essentially redundant, you get a huge break on the cost for the second power.

the advantage applies to the base cost like any other advantage, which increases the Active Points and calculates into the Real Cost.

As for Gliding... I'm not sure if its in sixth or not, probably a limitation in flight (they've traded out several of powers that are still in the game but now as limitations or advantages to other powers). I'm not sure if they did this with flight and gliding or not. GAH, I had the stupid file set up to transfer to my lap top for my stay at my dad's. And darn it if my stupid cloud doesn't have the books saved in it. I really hate my cloud. More often than not, stuff I want is not backed up on it

grrrrr

grrr

So thing is my goal is to not take full flight (despite it being obviously superior) but be otherwise pretty free to move about. Like Spidey or a wuxia character out of Crouching Tiger.

To that end when I saw Usable As my first thought was to take "Flight" with 4 other modes or +1 then negate that with Gliding -1, so I could do everything but like soar up to a plane and such. Thing is taking Flight + Gliding on its own works out to Base/2 or 1CP per 2m of Gliding or the less expensive type of movement, while adding other +/-'s let you make anything you want the most/least expensive...

But don't worry about it I'll do a Multipower instead.

heh, there's always 'other ways' to do things in champions. With the concept though, I think I like the multi-power idea because you can tailor the different modes of transport better to your needs.

OK, I know I put that I'd put that the game would close on the 13th, but we've got 11 who have posted an interest and started the app process. I don't know how many more will be posting up their intention and I know Champions toons are a lot harder to create than other characters and as such, I'd kind of like to make sure some people haven't changed their minds and maybe even select the players before anyone devotes the time and effort into all the maffs for a Champions toon. So, if you are still interested, please chime in. I hate picking between players for a lot of reasons, but it is something that has to be done. So anyone that has changed their minds... well...

So far, I'm liking what I've seen in the questionnaires. Thank you all for that.

1 hour ago, Papa Bear said:

So, if you are still interested, please chime in.

Ring-a-ding-ding, I'm still interested. I'm making my pc into a heroic Black Adam/Dr.Doom/Braniac 5 story origin at street level power. She's inherited this planet as one of the Chosen which is an unknown prophecy of her birthright; she is millenia years old and has awoken. She has alter-ego who embodies the masochistic American Dream as a young honorably discharged African-American US Army veteran with conservative values. He has frequent blackouts and has visual dreams about her not realizing they're mentally linked. He's a private investigator with a good reputation. Foxy Indigo collects knowledge learning all she can to gain power and gain control over her destiny. She is bonded with other beings as well but to keep things simpler, I'll focus on Foxy Indigo and Man(Fox)Legend for this campaign.