Character Creation OOC

Hi!

What's your ruling on rituals & books, as far as purchasing more scrolls/rituals for a book? Im looking at an archaeologist-style character (bard class) who's into esoteric lore, not necessarily making deals with eldritch beings.

Scratch all of that; I'm not doing ritual caster. I routinely forget about the number of feats vs. ABIs in 5e lol

Edited by Blanket_Thunder (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Blanket_Thunder said:

Hi!

What's your ruling on rituals & books, as far as purchasing more scrolls/rituals for a book? Im looking at an archaeologist-style character (bard class) who's into esoteric lore, not necessarily making deals with eldritch beings.

Scratch all of that; I'm not doing ritual caster. I routinely forget about the number of feats vs. ABIs in 5e lol

You do get a freebie feat. For this campaign.

11 minutes ago, slinkman00 said:

You do get a freebie feat. For this campaign.

You get 1 free feat, unless you choose a background that includes a feat, then you take that feat instead. (not counting variant humans).

2 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

You get 1 free feat, unless you choose a background that includes a feat, then you take that feat instead. (not counting variant humans).

Exactly. This puts all of the backgrounds on an equal playing field.

@codexgigas I've been wish-washing back and forth between like 3 concepts and I'm getting closer to narrowing down, I just have one more question for you:

For druids: What is your ruling on having a mundane (or like +1) suit of scalemail that is just some large animal skin? I believe dragon scale is too high rating for use, and I just want to make sure that's feasible.

Edited by Blanket_Thunder (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Blanket_Thunder said:

@codexgigas I've been wish-washing back and forth between like 3 concepts and I'm getting closer to narrowing down, I just have one more question for you:

For druids: What is your ruling on having a mundane (or like +1) suit of scalemail that is just some large animal skin? I believe dragon scale is too high rating for use, and I just want to make sure that's feasible.

I would allow that. Technically, druids don't have a prohibition on metal armor in 5E, since most of the special materials were removed from the rules. We can always say that armor is made of scale or ironwood.

However, dragonscale armor is actually fairly plentiful at the moment, since the Dragonarmies make heavy use of it. A character could easily have taken a set of dragonscale armor from a killed soldier. It would be limited to one of the chromatic dragon types.

This is a reminder that the application window closes tomorrow. I've been swamped with work this week, but I will be available tomorrow to answer questions throughout the day.

9 hours ago, codexgigas said:

I would allow that. Technically, druids don't have a prohibition on metal armor in 5E, since most of the special materials were removed from the rules. We can always say that armor is made of scale or ironwood.

However, dragonscale armor is actually fairly plentiful at the moment, since the Dragonarmies make heavy use of it. A character could easily have taken a set of dragonscale armor from a killed soldier. It would be limited to one of the chromatic dragon types.

I’ve settled on: an elf/human Druid whose grove was recently destroyed by a red dragon in recent years. Thinking circle of stars Druid who’s been studying the stars for years for signs of the Gods’ return. He really wants that red dragon dead.

any places you recommend for this area to be?

4 hours ago, Blanket_Thunder said:

I’ve settled on: an elf/human Druid whose grove was recently destroyed by a red dragon in recent years. Thinking circle of stars Druid who’s been studying the stars for years for signs of the Gods’ return. He really wants that red dragon dead.

any places you recommend for this area to be?

Southern Ergoth is a good place for an elf druid. It also happens to be where the party currently is.

Thank you to everyone who applied. Character selection is never easy as a DM.

I've decided to take three characters, due to the high quality of apps overall. Welcome to the campaign:

• Kelasheway of the Whiteriver Clan, played by @BuyCrom
  • Kyra of the Spirit Elk Tribe, played by @daltar
  • and Telemachus Burrowdown, played by @JagrHunter