New direction discussion

scootloops

Hi everyone, since we still haven't heard from Aspekt, and I can't run two teams on different adventures, the plan is to reconvene after both teams get back to town.

Im totally fine taking on one group and working out something so we don't fall apart entirely, my current plan is to maybe pick something from Yawning Portal, Ghosts of Saltmarsh, or something else. I think Curse of Strahd might actually fit in well to this unknown area so we could keep the borderlands as a place.

I'm also open to running something in Starfinder, the recent Dune TTRPG (2d20), or a 5e Hard Sci-fi conversion. Though with those theres gonna be a lot more downtime while I figure out what we're gonna play, especially if we pick up a 5e Conversion.

It's all up in the air, but the gist is it won't be what aspekt promised, and I don't think I can build out a world like they were without some kind of help since I didn't start this one.

In the meantime, I want you to think about whether you'd like to continue here or look for another game, no judgements at all. Please consider how often you post to this game, and your own time constraints. I'd like to have something that everyone can keep up with fairly regularly (and I won't be pulled so much between two groups so I'll be able to keep up better too)

Cheers, no need to respond here yet, just wanted to put it all in your minds what I'm thinking so y'all can mull it over while we finish out the current scenes.

If you're looking for a good sci-fi based conversion of the 5e ruleset, may I suggest this awesome Mass Effect adaption? https://www.n7.world/.

It's pretty comprehensive.

I've already been in three seperate Curse of Strahd games already, two of them to full completion, so that's less of a great option from my own personal perspective.

...really hope everything is okay on Aspekt's end.

2 hours ago, ResidualRose said:

If you're looking for a good sci-fi based conversion of the 5e ruleset, may I suggest this awesome Mass Effect adaption? https://www.n7.world/.

It's pretty comprehensive.

that looks good, thanks

I've done a couple of Ravenloft games both online and in person, so least favorite option.

lol, I’ve never gotten to go through ravenloft or curse of strahd, it’s on my (admittedly long) list of things. Saltmarsh and Yawning portal are a bunch of smaller adventures we could pick from, including the infamous Tomb of Horrors, though there’s a particular one in Saltmarsh called ‘The Styes’ that I’ve been eyeballing because it has a culty-lovecraftian feel to it.

as for the Mass Effect conversion, I’m a big fan of that universe so if we go sci-fi that seems like a good conversion to me.

regardless, we’ve got some time to think about it

Hi! I would love to venture into Ravenlotf themes in D&D. That's my original plan with this monster hunter girl, with inspiration from both Witcher and Castlevania. Lovecraft too sounds enticing.

Sci-fi doesn't fish me quite yet. Perhaps after reading about the game I'll get riled up?

Posting wise I'm quite frequent. I check the forum daily.

I would also not be a fan of Ravenloft, considering I'm in one of those games right now. However, the concept of Wilovar was originally conceived as a merchant travelling between points of light in the wilderness for a West Marches-esque type game, and only slightly tweaked into a Trickery rather than Unity/Peace domain cleric of Waukeen for this specific game. I'm not sure he would shine in another more traditional adventuring setting (and those aren't the particular themes I want to write with him) - so I think I'll bow out. This is no slight on the excellent job you have done taking up the DM reins scootloops - I've very much enjoyed the prologue - and I totally understand where you're coming from in shifting the game slightly. If I had a different character, I would definitely keep playing! I don't though, and if you're combining the groups you'll need to trim things down to keep it manageable as well.

I will however play out the prologue, since I have enjoyed it, but Wilovar will probably reconsider his life when he returns to town (as I've started to suggest in his posts).

Yeah, no. I would be another detractor to Curse of Strahd, the module or adventure path, but I wouldn't mind a romp to the realm of Ravenloft in general.

Tevis isn't particularly a character who was built for a more traditional adventurer-type game, either, so I'll likely bow out once we finish up where we're at here, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We're getting closer to reconciling, so I've been pondering a few options for us to take.

Adventures on the table

Should be able to keep within our setting and PC's

• Ruins of Grendelroot - Multi-quest adventure, exploring an underground area and the strange effects of the Grendleroot - L1-5 (we'd just stay at 2 for a while), Longish
  • A few adventures from the Arcane Library - they're all one shots and could be strung together as weird missions in the borderlands. Covers any level, but I would start us at level 3 with Crypts of Azarumme. Many of them are horror themed. - L3-L6, longish if we did them all
  • Where the Machines Wait - Longer adventure exploring an ancient underground repository of machines. Has a sci-fantasy feel to it - L 1-5, Long
  • Drakenheim - Dungeon crawler of a city ruined 1000 years ago by some sort of magic. Easily fits into the borderlands as an undiscovered place the Tourist contracts you to go. Rumors of valuable magic crystals. Definitely has a horror theme - L1-L13, so easy to start where we want and end where we want, could be super long or shortish

Probably won't fit in with the current theme and setting

• The Styes - Uncover the mysterious disappearances and murders in a troubled seaside town. Has a lovecraftian horror feel to it and includes a kraken - L10-13, Longish.
  • Something from "Uncaged, Volume 1". - An adventure book with many stories based on mythological female goddesses and monsters. Can't find previews of any of the adventures, so I don't have a good guess at length or how well they would fit in. L1-L5
  • Lost Shrine of Tamoachan - Explore a lost jungle templle that holds the mummy of an ancient vampire demi-god and discover it's treasure (classic treasure hunt) - L5, Med length
  • Whiteplume Mountain - Recover powerful Artifacts from a mad mage's mountain lair (Another classic treasure hunt, this dungeon gets a bit silly) - L8, Med length

Same Setting & Characters Other Setting & Characters Dropouts
    Ruins of Grendelroot Arcane Library Where the Machines Wait Dungeons of Drakenheim The Styes Uncaged, Volume 1 Lost Shrine of Tamoachan Whiteplume Mountain

@Coruja

@morgan_

@Coruja  

@Coruja

@Passione

@8w_gremlin

@morgan_

@PureChance

@Phntm888

Edited by scootloops (see edit history)