OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - As Above, So Below

bwatford

13 minutes ago, Newcomer said:

Oh, and I can also cast alarm as a ritual, which can help us with the watch-taking. I suppose I should establish my end-of-day procedures: cast goodberry, ritually cast alarm, and possibly cast create or destroy water. I'll use bonus actions to aid those castings.

How do ley line disruptions and ritual casting interact?

Ritual spells risk the same effects as if you used bonus action. So today they have a 46% chance of a mishap. You don't need create water today so if you are going to cast two spells, just roll the chance here, anything 46 and below will trigger, and I will determine what effects happen.

It is best to limit spellcasting on "stormy" days.

1 hour ago, Ayeba said:

I think you can safely drop Faire Fire. Both Faerie Fire and Entangle affect the same area (20 foot cube/square), so you'll be forced to choose between the two in a combat situation. I think Entangle is the superior spell in most situations. Entangle imposes restrained, which grants advantage to attackers, disadvantage on the enemies' attack, and immobilization to add insult to injury. There are scenarios in which the anti-invisibility from Faerie Fire is useful, but for the most part it only provides advantage to attackers.

That's all true, though faerie fire targets Dex saves, while entangle targets Str saves. That anti-invisibility part can be very helpful when it does come up, of course

Then I also have web, which is mostly an upgrade on entangle (though not exactly), and which targets Dex saves (but allows Str checks to escape).

1 hour ago, bwatford said:

Ritual spells risk the same effects as if you used bonus action. So today they have a 46% chance of a mishap. You don't need create water today so if you are going to cast two spells, just roll the chance here, anything 46 and below will trigger, and I will determine what effects happen.

It is best to limit spellcasting on "stormy" days.

If we're using the hut, maybe we'll skip alarm on "stormy" days, unless there's some passage we want to keep an eye on. I'll try rolling for the night's goodberry, though. This is my first time trying this dice roller...

Storm Check

Edited by Newcomer (see edit history)
Name
Storm Check
SyntaxError: Unexpected token )
1d100)

I'll give it one more try, and if that doesn't work I'll need someone to walk me through it.

Tens

Ones

Name
Tens
1d10 4
Ones
1d10 10
Ley Line Disruption
1d100 91
d200 Ley Line Disruption
1d200 47
Damage Type
1d13 10

1 hour ago, Newcomer said:

Then I also have web, which is mostly an upgrade on entangle (though not exactly), and which targets Dex saves (but allows Str checks to escape).

Question has Web as well. It is a good spell, though. I considered Maximillian's Earthen Grasp first, but ultimately landed on Web.

1 hour ago, Newcomer said:

If we're using the hut, maybe we'll skip alarm on "stormy" days, unless there's some passage we want to keep an eye on.

Alarm has some interesting usage (like avoid getting pickpocketed), but it's kind of redundant for the purpose of protecting our camp with Tiny Hut available. I find the later so unbelievably powerful I think it honestly deserves a hit with the nerf bat, but that's may just be me.

2 hours ago, Newcomer said:

Oh, and I can also cast alarm as a ritual, which can help us with the watch-taking. I suppose I should establish my end-of-day procedures: cast goodberry, ritually cast alarm, and possibly cast create or destroy water. I'll use bonus actions to aid those castings.

How do ley line disruptions and ritual casting interact?

I have alarm so I can take that off your list if you'd like. not a ritual though and susceptible to the chance of chaos. I also have See Invisibility and Blindfighting to help mitigate that.

For marching order, Taborlin and Sanaa would be close to Deirdre, maybe even a bit ahead. her AC is only one lower, but she's more melee focused than I think Deirdre is (maybe I'm reading it wrong?)

Taborlin will have plenty of water to help us out and a stash of rations. Sanaa is a good pack mule, but will have to shed some things if used in combat. Taborlin can also purify food and drink we find, and with Mold Earth and Shape water as cantrips, I envision she could effectivly pull most things out of dirty water if necessary and make any plantlife we find safe to eat with regards to poisons and diseases.

1 hour ago, bwatford said:

Ley Line Effect

Each ally within 20' of you gains resistance to psychic damage type for the rest of the encounter. So basically, no effect here.

And the Dice tutorial is here:

Dice Tower - Articles - Myth-Weavers

Thanks for that! I looked around a little but didn't find it.

23 minutes ago, scootloops said:

I have alarm so I can take that off your list if you'd like. not a ritual though and susceptible to the chance of chaos. I also have See Invisibility and Blindfighting to help mitigate that.

For marching order, Taborlin and Sanaa would be close to Deirdre, maybe even a bit ahead. her AC is only one lower, but she's more melee focused than I think Deirdre is (maybe I'm reading it wrong?)

Taborlin will have plenty of water to help us out and a stash of rations. Sanaa is a good pack mule, but will have to shed some things if used in combat. Taborlin can also purify food and drink we find, and with Mold Earth and Shape water as cantrips, I envision she could effectivly pull most things out of dirty water if necessary and make any plantlife we find safe to eat with regards to poisons and diseases.

Alarm is in my wizard spellbook, so it will always be available as a ritual for me. I think we'll find more use for alarm if we want to know if something passes through a specific place where we're not, since we have tiny hut for resting. Assuming the ley lines cooperate.

30 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

Oh, by the way, @Newcomer, feel free to have a look at Question's spellbook. If you have the inks, you could learn a spell or two during the night.

:-D

We'll see; I might save the inks for now. Who knows what we'll find inside. Misty step was the last spell I had hoped to buy ahead of time—well, that and magic mouth—but I figured I'd probably just take those two at level up. Right, magic mouth requires components, so maybe I shouldn't grab that unless we find it with components. It's just a fun spell to toy around with, and another ritual.

37 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

I find the later so unbelievably powerful I think it honestly deserves a hit with the nerf bat, but that's may just be me.

Not just you, in Advanced 5th Edition Level Up, it got the nerf bat. It didn't change the spell but it did add a cost to it.

(piece of thatched roof woven into a dome and a sculpture of a protective deity worth 200 gold, consumed by the spell)

I will be moving to A5e fully going forward. I believe this one will be my final o5e campaign. lol

1 hour ago, scootloops said:

she's more melee focused than I think Deirdre is (maybe I'm reading it wrong?)

Pfff, Deirdre is VERY melee focused. lol :P

With 16 Constitution, Extra attack feature, using her intelligence as the attack/melee modifier for her thunder gauntlets, and the fact that the gauntlet have mechanics to help locking enemies on her in melee against her (and also took booming blade cantrip for good measure), she's pretty much a melee tank/defender per the book. If only she had access to d10 HP/Level... 😪

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, bwatford said:

Not just you, in Advanced 5th Edition Level Up, it got the nerf bat. It didn't change the spell but it did add a cost to it.

(piece of thatched roof woven into a dome and a sculpture of a protective deity worth 200 gold, consumed by the spell)

I will be moving to A5e fully going forward. I believe this one will be my final o5e campaign. lol

If you want to hit it with the nerf bat straight away, I'm fine with it. ... as long as I get to replace it with a different spell.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Harding said:

With 16 Constitution, Extra attack feature, using her intelligence as the attack/melee modifier for her thunder gauntlets, and the fact that the gauntlet have mechanics to help locking enemies on her in melee against her (and also took booming blade cantrip for good measure), she's pretty much a melee tank/defender per the book. If only she had access to d10 HP/Level... 😪

Yeah, your build is about as sticky as you can get without going full grapple and pinning people to the ground.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

If you want to hit it with the nerf bat straight away, I'm fine with it. ... as long as I get to replace it with a different spell.

No, its fine for use here. You may need it. lol

1 hour ago, Harding said:

I'll tell you right now, Tabs might be competing a bit with her then

I agree with Ayeba, Entangle over fairie fire, unless the DM says no plants = no entangle.

Also, note that we have a ritually cast "Leomund's Tiny Hut" (thank you, it's one of my fave spells) which is very powerful for what it can do.
As well as goodberry, and create water, we should be fairly well provisioned, unless the winds of chaos alter the effects.

@bwatford I too was under the impression that using bonus action would counteract the winds of chaos aspect, but good to know that isn't the case and it's just a reduction, thanks for clarifying.

(catching up with posts, timezones do that, sorry if delaying)

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)