General OOC

X51

Heya!  Saw the ad and just had to look into it.  Thinking about submitting an app for a Scavenger archetype and have a couple-ish questions for starters (no book, just google).

How does scavenging locations work?  I gather (pun) that it's a PER/Survival check of some kind, but not sure what to expect from dice rolls, average returns and such.  Also, some perks do say they net more materials, ammo or food (etc), but how much is added compared to say having a better skill check?

For crafting are there guidelines I can use?  Something like what stat is used, are skills specific to certain crafts and are recipes all tied to perks maybe?  Also I thought I saw somewhere that crafting can be an assisted check to make better or more complicated things?

With regard to skills capped at rank 3 does that included the bonus from tagged skills?  As in 3 ranks plus 2 from tag for a 5, or 3 no matter the math?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have a question in relation to the above; I looked in the book and I couldn't find it.

Is there a cap on how high a skill can go? I know a super mutant can only go to 4, but what about others? I wasn't thinking of making a one-trick-wonder char, but I am curious.

14 hours ago, X51 said:

You can! Applications are open until the 16th. To copy the sample character, you can click on 'Quote' and start a new reply with it, then either copy and paste it to a different post, or click on the Source button and copy the source code, then paste that into the code editor on you character post.

I did verbatum what you said, and if you look at my char sheet that's the result. I also got rid of the 'quote' line at the top and close to the bottom, and it's the same mess less a couple lines. 

Thus, I think I'm still doing something wrong (or this site is having serious issues; maybe both 🙂 ). Any idea what might be going wrong?

I'm going to do the char minus the char sheet for now. Hopefully I figure out how to copy and paste it soon (to be fair, it shouldn't be this difficult 😛 ).

Edited by Shadewe (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Shadewe said:

I did verbatum what you said, and if you look at my char sheet that's the result. I also got rid of the 'quote' line at the top and close to the bottom, and it's the same mess less a couple lines. 

Thus, I think I'm still doing something wrong (or this site is having serious issues; maybe both 🙂 ). Any idea what might be going wrong?

I'm going to do the char minus the char sheet for now. Hopefully I figure out how to copy and paste it soon (to be fair, it shouldn't be this difficult 😛 ).

What you want to do is:

1. Click the edit post button.

2. Highlight all that code text and Copy or Cut.

3. Click the source button in your post to open the source window.

4. Paste all the code.  Now delete the following bits from the front "

<blockquote class="ipsQuote" data-gramm="false" data-ipsquote="" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="15635" data-ipsquote-contentid="2029" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1665094009" data-ipsquote-userid="1683" data-ipsquote-username="X51">
    <div class="ipsQuote_citation">
        On 10/6/2022 at 6:06 PM, X51 said:
    </div>

<div class="ipsQuote_contents ipsClearfix" data-gramm="false">
        <p>
            Yeah. The way the sample character is set up is that it&#39;s all nested within a 1x1 table. I just set the table borders to 0 so they&#39;re not visible. I&#39;ll post it here with the borders visible to give a better idea:
        </p>

<p>
            &nbsp;
        </p>"

and from the end. "

</div>
</blockquote>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>"

That should get you squared away. 

10 hours ago, Couch Potato Rex said:

Heya!  Saw the ad and just had to look into it.  Thinking about submitting an app for a Scavenger archetype and have a couple-ish questions for starters (no book, just google).

How does scavenging locations work?  I gather (pun) that it's a PER/Survival check of some kind, but not sure what to expect from dice rolls, average returns and such.  Also, some perks do say they net more materials, ammo or food (etc), but how much is added compared to say having a better skill check?

For crafting are there guidelines I can use?  Something like what stat is used, are skills specific to certain crafts and are recipes all tied to perks maybe?  Also I thought I saw somewhere that crafting can be an assisted check to make better or more complicated things?

With regard to skills capped at rank 3 does that included the bonus from tagged skills?  As in 3 ranks plus 2 from tag for a 5, or 3 no matter the math?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Scavenging is treated as a sort of encounter. You'll go to a location, and that location will have a number of attributes which determine how big it is, how long it takes to search, what sort of items will be there, and so on. You'll make a PER+Survival roll, and then depending on what obstacles or hazards might be involved, you may need to do some other rolls, like lockpicking, science, or athletics. There may also be inhabitants, which may or may not be hostile.

The extra items from perks vary by perk. Can Do and Pharma Farma get you 1 additional random food item or chem. Scrounger and Fortune Finder (Level 2+, so it's not listed as a starting Perk, and it also applies whenever you find caps, not just in scavenging scenes) each have three ranks, and grant additional +3 CD ammo or caps at rank 1, +6 CD at rank 2, and +10 CD at rank 3. Scrounger only applies to the least rare ammo found if multiple kinds are found in a location. In addition, Scrounger only nets +1 CD worth of Missiles per rank, and does not net any extra Fusion Cores or Mini-Nukes. As for comparative numbers, the base number of ammo found for non-missile ammo ranges from 12+6 CD to 4+2 CD, so the value of the perk goes up significantly for more rare ammo types.

Crafting requires an appropriate workbench. Everyone knows Common recipes, Uncommon recipes are learned via perk (such as Gun Nut), and Rare recipes have to be learned from someone or somewhere specific. Crafting an item requires time, and an amount of Common, Uncommon, or Rare materials. The skill required depends on the item being made. Armor requires Repair, while Power Armor requires either Repair or Science, depending on what's being made. Chemistry requires Science for chems, and Explosives for explodables. Cooking Stations use Survival. Robot and Weapons workbenches use Repair or Science, depending on what's being made. 

From the way it's set up, I'd say that it'd be hard to be an omni-crafter in this game, though taking Science and Repair will give you the widest range of crafting options. The Perk investment can also be pretty heavy, but you get a perk each level, so it's doable.

Skills are capped at 3, including the 2 from Tagged, so you can only invest 1 more point into your tagged skills, but that encourages skill diversity, which I like. Realistically, it'd be pretty hard to be truly specialized in the wasteland; you kinda need a bit of everything.

ETA: When you scavenge, you roll randomly on loot tables to determine what's found. You can also find a number of 'junk' items which are heavy, but they can be broken down into crafting materials, though that can be a time-consuming process.

8 hours ago, Shadewe said:

I have a question in relation to the above; I looked in the book and I couldn't find it.

Is there a cap on how high a skill can go? I know a super mutant can only go to 4, but what about others? I wasn't thinking of making a one-trick-wonder char, but I am curious.

Skills cap out at 6 for non-SM characters. You can find that on pages 44 and 58.

Edited by X51 (see edit history)

So I looked at a map of the area around Boston and it is full of *ham and *ford and *boroughs.  Got me thinking how settlements could have a butchering of a current name.   My favorite pairing Dedham and Needham.   Obviously this became Dead-Ham and Need-Ham.   Just a short trip away down the old 135 for those pig farmers of Dead-ham to sell their butchered pigs to the starving town of Need-Ham.  

Re: the crafting comments, might I suggest that the PC's have a sit-down and maybe talk about who might cover what craft (if any)? 

I'm assuming there will be a couple people who will want to craft, so if those people crafted for the collective good of the party (and maybe get paid for their efforts?), everyone benefits. 

I'd also recommend some not-party crafting opportunities too; e.g. if a PC were known to have Gun Nut 3, then some NPC's out there might want to hire that person to upgrade a gun for them, for a fee of course. 

Just some thoughts. 

I don't expect crafting to come up a lot in the intro adventure. Once characters are selected, there'll be a chance to make mechanical adjustments before we begin, so that would be the time to have such a discussion.

If and when we decide we want to expand beyond the intro adventure, there'll be another chance to tweak or rebuild characters, which is probably where coordinating crafting abilities might be most beneficial.

Having NPC's approach a character for crafting work is a good idea. I haven't seen much I'm the way of a profession or downtime mechanic yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to put one together.

More questions.

I am trying to change the picture. I went in and tried to change it via Source, aspect ratio changed to 1x1. I tried to adjust the ratio, system said (not exactly) "The ratio can not be greater than 1".

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I was changing it in two spots in the source. I didn't adjust any height or width values though in the source itself, which may be the problem, I'm not sure. I have also tried clicking on the picture and change the picture source there but it doesn't seem to do anything; the picture stays the same on BALDR, but if you double click on the picture it takes you to the correct picture on IMGUR. 

Sorry, I am not a programmer 🙃

I think the easiest way to change the picture is to highlight it in the editor and then hit delete. Then, down at the bottom, there's a button that says 'Other Media,' and it has an option to insert an image from a URL. Make sure your text cursor is still in the right cell when you click on that button.

Once you paste the direct URL for the image, you can hold down the CTRL button and then right-click the picture, which will bring up a context menu with an option to adjust the image properties. That's where you can adjust image width and the like.

Edited by X51 (see edit history)

I just wanna say I'm really liking all the characters so far! Everyone's got something to work with, and fit the setting pretty well. I know I haven't really laid out any guidance on how I'll pick characters, and that's mostly because I don't know. There really isn't an objective way to do it, so I didn't want to list a bunch of things I'd be looking for, but I feel like that's worked out really well, here.

As someone who's super critical of my own writing, I don't like the idea of making writing quality integral to the process, which is why I just did the background questions. They give me an idea of who your character is without you needed to write out a ton about their background (which also leaves players room to fiddle with those backgrounds as the game progresses). In the end, assuming all the apps are complete by the end of Sunday, I'll be choosing whichever six I feel make for the most interesting party, but again, that's subjective and not something I can adequately explain ahead of time.