General OOC

X51

As much as I'd love to get some hands-on time with this game, I agree that even 6 is a lot to juggle for spotlighting and action economy. Given my recent illness and a ramping up of responsibilites at work in the coming month, I will step out and let the others enjoy. It would suck to not be able to keep up with posting at the start.

Five would be the sweet spot, I agree. It was a bit of a wonky weekend and I was feeling pretty shaky yesterday, but what I really wanted to avoid was announcing one player as being excluded, only to then have one of the six not still be engaged, and then awkwardly invite the excluded person to fill that spot (this is mortifying for various mental health reasons for me).

So I wanna see who's all still present and then we'll get the party sorted.

4 hours ago, DoNotFearToTread said:

As much as I'd love to get some hands-on time with this game, I agree that even 6 is a lot to juggle for spotlighting and action economy. Given my recent illness and a ramping up of responsibilites at work in the coming month, I will step out and let the others enjoy. It would suck to not be able to keep up with posting at the start.

No worries. I hope you feel better soon; if the games still going and you feel better and things get easier at work, your welcome to rejoin later on. I'll also invite you to read along, as well!

It is kinda interesting that Strength has become a dump stat. We'll have a chance to adjust stats. One thing I'll note is that ammo is generally scarce, so the odds of you being in a fight without enough ammo to kill whatever you're fighting is high.

Personally I simply wanted to play a scrawny, sneaky sort who takes out enemies from a distance if they cannot be avoided altogether, so forgoing STR made sense. (That, and I'm wary of the lethality of melee combat in systems I have no experience with. 😛)

The lethality will be interesting to see in motion. The proprietary dice make it a little hard to imagine clearly. Fortunately, after having figured out how to average symbol outcomes in Genesys, I can break down the per-die generation on damage.

On average, each Combat Die will generate .83 damage and .33 effects, so if your weapon's damage is 3 CD, you'll average about 2.5 damage and 1 effect per roll. That'd mean it takes an average of about 4 successful regular shots to kill something with 10 HP with that weapon.

On average, small guns have a much higher base damage than melee weapons, until you get a character with a 9 or 10 strength, which is when melee weapons become pretty deadly. Melee weapons also have the benefit of not suffering any difficulty increases for range, and they don't generally require ammo. So, just from a math standpoint, I feel like the balance between the two is pretty decent.

On 10/17/2022 at 6:32 PM, X51 said:

Alright, two things:

1. If you're still around and wanting to play, please post an answer to this question here in this thread: What's your favorite Fallout memory (or your favorite Post-Apocalypse scene if you haven't played Fallout)?
  2. Would anyone specifically be opposed to rolling with 7 characters? Assuming everyone's still on board, picking just one person to exclude is not something I wanna do, and to hell with it, I can manage 7 players. I know some people don't like crowded games, though, so please let me know either way.

1. Anytime I cripple a limb in V.A.T.S. Using Mister Sandman on helpless NPCs.

2. If you're up for it

That should be everyone, then! I've unlocked the World Building thread, and I've also added in a little bit about an important element of the settlement's founding, so give it another read if you've already done so.

You can also feel free to go over your characters and make whatever mechanical tweaks you might want. I'm gonna go over them and post any notes about errors or other concerns.

Edited by X51 (see edit history)