General OOC

X51

44 minutes ago, Couch Potato Rex said:

I just need to figure out what starting gear I get and I should be finished.  Can you tell me what that is and/or what rolls I need to make?

First, select from Mercenary, Raider, Settler, Trader, or Wanderer, as that'll give you the bulk of your gear. You also get some stuff based on your tag skills. For you, that would be:

Explosives

2 Molotov Cocktails

Damage: 4 CD Energy
Effects: Persistent
Qualities: Blast, Thrown (Medium)
Weight: 1 lb. each

OR

2 Baseball Grenades

Damage: 5 CD Physical
Effects: -
Qualities: Blast, Thrown (Medium)
Weight: 1 lb. each

Small Guns

6 + 3 CD additional rounds of ammo of a type you already possess. Please seen the note about using CD to determine quantities in the first post of this thread.

Survival

2 Purified Water

Effect: Heal 3 HP. Satisfies thirst.

Weight: < 1 lb.

1 Iguana On a Stick

Effect: Heal 6 HP. Satisfies hunger.

8 hours ago, X51 said:

You also get some stuff based on your tag skills.

… oh damn, somehow I completely managed to miss this. 😐

Vaguely tempted to rejigger my stats a little now that I could actually start play with a few throwing weapons, though I'm not sure how viable they are as a mainstay in their own right.

2 hours ago, DoNotFearToTread said:

There was a thread about this when the game first came out. The conclusion seemed to be that they aren't a great main weapon but the fact that they are silent and can be retrieved gives them a solid place in a stealth build.

Yeah, unfortunately it does not look like there is a great deal of mechanical support for throwing weapons (no mods, little in the way of applicable perks, no bonus damage from high STR) compared what can be done with firearms or even melee weapons. Might not be quite worth switching my tag skill away from Small Guns, as much as I like the idea of administering silent death by throwing knife.

38 minutes ago, Dybrar said:

Yeah, unfortunately it does not look like there is a great deal of mechanical support for throwing weapons (no mods, little in the way of applicable perks, no bonus damage from high STR) compared what can be done with firearms or even melee weapons. Might not be quite worth switching my tag skill away from Small Guns, as much as I like the idea of administering silent death by throwing knife.

Once I have a better feel for the vanilla system, I might have some idea how to make throwing weapons a little better. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Couch Potato Rex said:

Cool, I think Wanderer sounds closest to my theme.  I'll roll for ammo in my thread and add it to whatever a Wanderer gets.

Wanderer

Drifter Outfit

DR: Ph 1/En 2/Rd 0

Melee Weapon

Choose one from the following:

Switchblade

Damage: 2 CD Physical

Effects: Piercing 1

Qualities: Concealed

Weight: 1 lb.

Pipe-wrench

Damage: 3 CD Physical

Qualities: -

Weight: 2 lb.

Rolling Pin

Damage: 2 CD Physical

Qualities: -

Weight: 1 lb.

Knuckles (Unarmed Skill)

Qualities: Concealed

Pipe Gun

Effects: Piercing 1

Fire Rate: 2

Range: Close

Qualities: Close Quarters (Can be used with enemies within Reach without increasing difficulty), Unreliable (rolls a complication on a 19 or 20)

Weight: 2 lb.

Ammo: 8 + 4 CD rounds of .38

Chem Choice

1 Jet

Effect: Extra Actions cost 1 less AP

Duration: Brief (1 round)

Addictive: 2 (At the end of a session, you roll a number of CD equal to how many doses of each chem you've taken. If your total number of Effects rolled equals or exceeds the Addictive rating, you become addicted.)

Addiction Effects: A failed addiction roll renders you addicted to Jet. You increase the difficulty of all AGI tests by +1 whenever you are not under the effects of a type of Jet (Jet, or Jet Fuel; Ultra Jet has a different addiction effect).

OR

1 RadAway

Effect: Heals 4 Rads.

Duration: Instant

Note: Can be used as part of a First Aid action, healing 4 Rads in addition to the effects of the First Aid.

Personal Trinket

Roll 1d20 to determine the form of trinket.

Once per Quest, you may take inspiration from your trinket to regain 1 Luck Point.

Starting Caps

30 caps

Official cut-off for apps will be at midnight PDT (#BestCoast). They don't need to be completely finished, as some mechanical adjustments might occur after being accepted, but I'd like the questions answered if they haven't been already.

Alright, two things:

1. If you're still around and wanting to play, please post an answer to this question here in this thread: What's your favorite Fallout memory (or your favorite Post-Apocalypse scene if you haven't played Fallout)?
  2. Would anyone specifically be opposed to rolling with 7 characters? Assuming everyone's still on board, picking just one person to exclude is not something I wanna do, and to hell with it, I can manage 7 players. I know some people don't like crowded games, though, so please let me know either way.

31 minutes ago, X51 said:

Alright, two things:

• If you're still around and wanting to play, please post an answer to this question here in this thread: What's your favorite Fallout memory (or your favorite Post-Apocalypse scene if you haven't played Fallout)?

I'll preface my response by saying that the first Fallout game I ever played was the original one, way back in 1997, and I still think more highly of the first two entries in the series than most of what came after.

… but to be honest, what has perhaps stuck with me the most was emerging from Vault 101 in Fallout 3 and beholding the wasteland in all its three-dimensional, open-world glory for the very first time. Even though games like Morrowind already were a thing, it really felt like a paradigm shift compared to the isometric 2D Fallouts that had come before.

31 minutes ago, X51 said:
  • Would anyone specifically be opposed to rolling with 7 characters? Assuming everyone's still on board, picking just one person to exclude is not something I wanna do, and to hell with it, I can manage 7 players. I know some people don't like crowded games, though, so please let me know either way.

It's doable but pushing it, in my opinion. I've been in some games with that sort of player count where those who could post faster/more frequently kind of crowded out those who couldn't (like yours truly 😛), which did not feel great even though I'm sure it was not done intentionally. Just my two cents. 🙂

4 hours ago, X51 said:

Alright, two things:

1. If you're still around and wanting to play, please post an answer to this question here in this thread: What's your favorite Fallout memory (or your favorite Post-Apocalypse scene if you haven't played Fallout)?
  2. Would anyone specifically be opposed to rolling with 7 characters? Assuming everyone's still on board, picking just one person to exclude is not something I wanna do, and to hell with it, I can manage 7 players. I know some people don't like crowded games, though, so please let me know either way.

1. In New Vegas when you take Boone's beret and he actually says something in response. It just really caught me off guard and appreciated the little details like that.

2. I'm fine with it, but it can definitely be a momentum killer...still, if you were already planning to do 6, 7 should be almost no difference.

1. So many moments to pick from, but I think it was the opening scene from FO:NV that has to be the top for me.  Getting shot before the game even starts, I was just rubbing my hands together thinking this was gonna be good. 
  2. 6 or 7 players won't be a difference I don't think.  So long as yer good with the number it's fine by me.

1.  I came to the Fallout world with Fallout 3 and then got FO:NV.   I think that what struck me about the game was the deep lore that was buried in the game and how it mixed a really dark vision of the future with comedy.  When I came into Fallout 3 I had read nothing about the game and it took me a little while to realize that CAPS old bottle caps were the currency of the game.   It was this kind of dark satirical humor that made me really like the IP.   And I dove deep into the lore items of the game reading all the computer terminal articles I could.    

2.  I think 7 players is a lot even 6 players is a large group.   If everyone still is around what my suggestion would be is to take 5 to start and the other 2 as alternates if players drop or get flaky.  The group can run into the other 2 players in the wasteland later on.   If you went this way it might be nice if the 2 not selected got to at least participate in the world building exercises and were allowed into the game as a reader only.   All that being said I'd still play in a game with 7 people I just have a preference for a smaller game. 

1. I've only played Fallout 4, but the pre-War scene was my favourite - it's just not a time period we get a glimpse of, that often, and it was neat to see what life was like before the bombs.

2. Seven might be a bit much, IMHO, but I'm fine with playing with that amount of players.