Session 1: The Staff

GM Saint

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 3 

AC: 16+1 | HP: 36/36 | Hit dice: 3/3d10

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8; DC 13 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

Attacks Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack | Menacing attack | Trip attack | DC 13;

"I've often found that magic and death go together. I'll not be touching that thing. But I don't like leaving this mess at my back without some assurance that it's as finished as it looks."

Ved scouts around, trying to see if he can see any tracks that might give some clue as to who was here and where they went. He checks in the tree and beneath the bushes for any body or drag marks.

Name
Survival
1d20+3 12

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 3 | AC: 18 | HP: 30/30 | Prof: +2 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +2 / Dex +1 / Con +2 / Int +0 / Wis +5 / Cha +1

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Live, Turn Undead, Pereserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +4 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +3 | 1d8+1 piercing

Cantrips: Guidance, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame  Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5

Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ | Command, Bless, Bane, Sure Wounds, Healing Word, Inflict Wounds
Level 2 | ▣ ▣  | Hold Person, Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon

"Aye, Specter, I agree.  This seems to be a lucky find.  If the gods are smiling on us, who are we to turn down their gifts."  The odd looking half orc replies.  Barkvin looks cautiously about. "On the other hand, if someone just left there campsite, they may come back and might not be to happy to see their dinner gone."  His travels with the bard had been pleasant.  The teifling did not judge his heritage and he had no reason to judge Spector.  The gods had treated Barkvin kindly on his travels.  Now he felt grateful for the food, but worried that things might not be what they seemed.

Startled as the dwarf (Murdain) approaches the camp, Barkvin turns and gives a friendly smile. "Argh, welcome friend dwarf.  This be not our camp.  We were just discussing to whom this camp and good smelling food may belong.  Ye wouldn't have happened to see anyone on the road?"  He asks.

OOC:   Sorry about my bad formatting.  If anyone knows how to fix my header, please let me know.

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

spacer.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class Rogue(Soulknife) 3 | AC: 14 | HP: 30/30 | Prof: +2 | Init: +3 | PP: 14 | Speed: 30ft 

SavesStrength: +0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +2
Charisma: -1
 | Special AbilitiesDarkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack: 2d6
Cunning Action: Bonus to Dodge, Dash, Hide.
Psionic Power: 4d6, LR. Recharge 1/SR as a Bonus Action
Psi-Bolstered Knack: Add Psionic Die, expend on success only, when failing Ability Check or Tool with Prof.
Psychic Whispers: Telepathy for 1d6 hours, 1mile. Prof target +you. Action. Free 1st time.
Psychic Blades: 1d6/1d4. Simple [Light] Melee Finesse Thrown. Range 60ft.
 | AttacksPsionic Blade | +5 | 1d6+3 Psychic / 60
Psionic Dagger | +5 | 1d4 Psychic / 60
Shortsword | +5 | 1d8+3 Slashing
Dagger | +5 | Piercing / 20/60
Shortbow | +5 | 1d6+3 Piercing / 80/320

| SpellsShadow-Touched:
Invisibility 1/LR
Disguise Self 1/LR
 ToolsThieves Tools: +5
Woodcarver's Tools: +5

Skills+Athletics: +2
+Acrobatics: +5
++Stealth: +7
Sleight of Hand: +3
Arcana: +1
Nature: +1
History: +1
Religion: +1
+Investigation +3
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine +2
Insight +2
+Perception: +4
Survival: +2
++Deception: +3
Performance: -1
Intimidation: -1
Persuasion: -1

ConditionsNone | Death SavesFailed: 0/3
Succeeded: 0/3

Hit Dice3d8: 0 Used.

He caught one of their names as he approached. The horned one was Specter, the tusked one he didnt hear of. Intentions... About the same as his, by the looks of things? Murdain shook his head in denial: "Not apart from you two, no. I've been coming up from over that way -" He waved his hand in the direction of the town. "Might be they've come from the other direction? Bit strange, but may be they didnt use roads. Plenty of hunters and trappers in our fair land." The rogue considered the next line carefully. "...I will say that we should consider a camp off-road may not be... friendly." He shrugged. "Y'know, just a precaution. But if they got food to share, maybe I can trade something for it as well. Something hot off the fire sounds mighty fine right now." As he saw the state of the camp, he shook his head.  "Nevermind on that food, I suppose. Hmm..."

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Investigation: Why did the hunters leave
1d20+3 1
Perception: Anything interesting left behind
1d20+4 1

22fe5942dd264dc39462248bf9bcee03_400x400.png.1670e41afe3584f3114fea74931b5c3e.pngSouris Garou (as Direwolf)

AC: 14 | HP: 37/37 | Prof: +2 |  PP: 16 (21 hearing and scent)

SavesStr +3 / Dex +2 / Con +2 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0 | Special AbilitiesPack Tactics, Keen Hearing and Smell(adv), Telepathic  | Attacks Bite | +6 | 2d6+3 Piercing (DC13 Str vs prone)

The dried blood was hours old, not much else could be found out from this, but at least the threat was likely passed.  It was not common for a predator to stick around for hours after a kill, especially if there was no meat or bones to gnaw.  ~Fine, you keep your blades... who's blood is this.  She said you were looking for your friends~  She looked at him again, taking measure as to rule him out as the splatterer, for as quick as he was with the swords you didn't make this sort of mess and come out of it clean in her experience, not without magic. 

There was still the druid that she wanted to speak with, perhaps the elfess may know him.  ~Do you know the druid who lives near the lake, Omnus?~

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock | Level: 3| AC: 17 | HP: 28/28 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +1 / Wis +0 / Cha +4
Special Abilities Hexblade's Curse [o] Attacks: Leaf | +6 | 1d8 slash/pierce - Thorn | +7 | 1d8+1 piercing
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Spells Known Magic Items: Healing Potion x2

Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6 Spell Slots: [o][o]

"There's no sign of a body. I think that blood and this staff belong to the same person. Denmother, do you know any other predators here that could kill a very strong man and not leave a body behind?" She began leaning on the staff. It was quite heavy and difficult for her to carry for very long so it become a cane of sorts.

When asked about druids, she shrugged. "I met one once, I think, but I'm not from around here. I'm from the far east side of the Vale so it's a different pack of wolves there. Say, maybe you can help sniff out his friends for us? I bet he'd really appreciate it."

22fe5942dd264dc39462248bf9bcee03_400x400.png.1670e41afe3584f3114fea74931b5c3e.pngSouris Garou (as Direwolf)

SavesStr +3 / Dex +2 / Con +2 / Int +3 / Wis +6 / Cha +0 | Special AbilitiesPack Tactics, Keen Hearing and Smell(adv), Telepathic  | Attacks Bite | +6 | 2d6+3 Piercing (DC13 Str vs prone)

Whilst it was disappointing that the elf didn't know of Omnus, it didn't really change the current predicament.  She was looking for something that was causing shortages in local game, and now she had come across a scene that seemed to indicate that there was something out there that could kill without a trace beyond the dried spatters of blood.  The thought of it raised her hackles as it sent a shiver down her spine.  First things first, make sure they were not missing anything obvious, once the obvious was excluded they'd move on to the perhaps options, but she certainly felt more comfortable as an eight hundred pound dire wolf right now.   With another nod for the elf the large white canine began pacing the area, back and forth in a grid to make sure she covered it well, checking for scents or tracks that would provide a clue as to what happened here, and what dangers may lurk in these woods.

~Game has been unnaturally scarce in these woods lately, hunters and trappers from the towns are ranging further and still go home empty handed.  I hope to find the cause, but worry something very dangerous has come... for now I'll help you find your friends, with luck they're alive.~

Name
Survival
1d20+6 11
roll
1d20 2

18952b9d9f90fab3ed3ff6a40abfd8dd.jpg

Name Specter | Class Bard 3 | AC: 14 | HP: 27/27 | Prof: +2 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str -1 / Dex +4 / Con +1 / Int +0 / Wis +1 / Cha +5

Special Abilities Bardic Inspiration 3/Day, Song of Rest, Tales | Attacks: Rapier | +4 | 1d8+2 Piercing

Cantrips: Guidance (class), Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery  Memorized Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5

Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ | Command, Dissonant Whispers, Faerie Fire, Tashas's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▣  | Aid, Suggestion

Specter let out a low whistle as he chatted with the others, though he was quite happy that the dwarf wasn't ready to string up the Tiefling for being present near a bunch of ashes.  Specter hadn't exactly had the greatest luck with dwarves in the past.  Then again, this guy didn't seem to be a 'typical' dwarf.  In fact, he might actually look like someone willing to...break the law?  Nah, maybe bend it a bit.  Dwarves really hated it when you broke the law around them.

Not that Specter had any experience with that...

"Well, I'm no man of nature, but surely we can search around here and see if anything comes up.  Lemme study these clues and see if I can come up with something.  Also, name's Specter, pleasure to meet you, and thank you for not bringing out the torches and pitchforks."

Name
Investigation: Study for Clues
1d20 13
Perception: Look for anything else
1d20+3 14
History: Do I know any stories/facts about this?
18; 11
1d20+3;1d20 ; [11]

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 3 | AC: 18 | HP: 30/30 | Prof: +2 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +2 / Dex +1 / Con +2 / Int +0 / Wis +5 / Cha +1

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Live, Turn Undead, Pereserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +4 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +3 | 1d8+1 piercing

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame  Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5

Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ | Command, Bless, Bane, Sure Wounds, Healing Word, Inflict Wounds
Level 2 | ▣ ▣  | Hold Person, Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon

"Greetings matey, me name is Barkvin.  Looks like we be too late to enjoy this dinner.  Whoever was here left their gear and departed into the woods."  The half orc picks up one of the packs and starts to go through its contents, then he starts to dig through the other packs hoping to find some clues to who was camping here.

Name
Investigation
1d20 5

@Diofant @Hammerfist @WolfBirch

Specter! You snoop around the camp, looking for some sign of the missing men who had set it. You don't find very much in the way of tracks or signs of where they'd gone except for a lot of blood splattered against a nearby tree. The bark and many of the vines around it are sprayed in obvious blood but there's no flesh or bone or even bits of torn cloth.

Barkvin! The packs contain just the usual camping supplies; a bit of rope, some dried fruit and trail bread, a water skin, etc.

@TheGospel @Rumrunner @Knave

Souris! It takes a few moments but you do smell... orc? You've smelled orc before and the wind had just delivered to you the sent of something akin to an orc not far away. There are other scents with it.

18952b9d9f90fab3ed3ff6a40abfd8dd.jpg

Name Specter | Class Bard 3 | AC: 14 | HP: 27/27 | Prof: +2 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str -1 / Dex +4 / Con +1 / Int +0 / Wis +1 / Cha +5

Special Abilities Bardic Inspiration 3/Day, Song of Rest, Tales | Attacks: Rapier | +4 | 1d8+2 Piercing

Cantrips: Guidance (class), Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery  Memorized Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5

Level 1 | ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ | Command, Dissonant Whispers, Faerie Fire, Tashas's Hideous Laughter
Level 2 | ▣ ▣  | Aid, Suggestion

Specter shook his head as he surveyed the scene, and his brow furrowed as he looked at a grisly mess that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

"The bloodstains are here, but there's NOTHING else.  No clothes, no bones, no drips...nothing.  Usually when someone is killed, you find some sort of evidence or clue.  But I've scoured this place and honest to gods, there's only this splatter.  I mean, for that to happen.."

The Tiefling shook his head, scarcely able or willing to believe it.

"Whoever was making that stew...would have just been annihilated.  Swallowed whole?  Incinerated?  Because that's the ONLY possible way that this could have happened without any evidence.  I mean, I've seen criminals cover their tracks before, but you can't just wash blood of the grass and trees outside.  Whatever did this...must be a powerful being indeed.  Man, do they have dragons in these parts?  I don't know what else could have roasted everything to a crisp and left nothing behind."

22fe5942dd264dc39462248bf9bcee03_400x400.png.1670e41afe3584f3114fea74931b5c3e.png

Souris Garou (as Direwolf)

Her snout crinkled and her lips snarled instinctively.  It wasn't that she particularly hated orcs or personally had many very bad experiences with them, but they had supplied a greater than proportional representation in the causation of the wounds she'd healed over the past year or two.  Besides that, their smell was uniquely astringent to any keen scented creature, which her grandmother joked was why their tusks grew long from the bottom... to plug their own nose against their stink.  

~Orc scent~ , ~Orc scent~  She echoed her two would be companions.  It used to bother her having to repeat herself in this way, but she got used to it, and it was why she preferred small groups, though it wasn't like she was a dire wolf alll the time.  Nodding towards the scent she waited for the other two to follow before slowly stalking that direction.

Name
Stealth
1d20+2 14

spacer.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class Rogue(Soulknife) 3 | AC: 14 | HP: 30/30 | Prof: +2 | Init: +3 | PP: 14 | Speed: 30ft 

SavesStrength: +0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +2
Charisma: -1
 | Special AbilitiesDarkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack: 2d6
Cunning Action: Bonus to Dodge, Dash, Hide.
Psionic Power: 4d6, LR. Recharge 1/SR as a Bonus Action
Psi-Bolstered Knack: Add Psionic Die, expend on success only, when failing Ability Check or Tool with Prof.
Psychic Whispers: Telepathy for 1d6 hours, 1mile. Prof target +you. Action. Free 1st time.
Psychic Blades: 1d6/1d4. Simple [Light] Melee Finesse Thrown. Range 60ft.
 | AttacksPsionic Blade | +5 | 1d6+3 Psychic / 60
Psionic Dagger | +5 | 1d4 Psychic / 60
Shortsword | +5 | 1d8+3 Slashing
Dagger | +5 | Piercing / 20/60
Shortbow | +5 | 1d6+3 Piercing / 80/320

| SpellsShadow-Touched:
Invisibility 1/LR
Disguise Self 1/LR
 ToolsThieves Tools: +5
Woodcarver's Tools: +5

Skills+Athletics: +2
+Acrobatics: +5
++Stealth: +7
Sleight of Hand: +3
Arcana: +1
Nature: +1
History: +1
Religion: +1
+Investigation +3
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine +2
Insight +2
+Perception: +4
Survival: +2
++Deception: +3
Performance: -1
Intimidation: -1
Persuasion: -1

ConditionsNone | Death SavesFailed: 0/3
Succeeded: 0/3

Hit Dice3d8: 0 Used.

Murdain shrugged. "If you're feeling a bit homesick for the warm greeting, I could see if I can find some torches, but I'm afraid pitchforks are in short supply out here." He could also say something about the folk who met others with pitchforks usually had them somewhere up their behind, but he kept silent on that part - the tiefling likely saw his share of such greetings. "'fraid I cant make heads or tails of this camp. Not much of an outdoorsman, either. Nice to meet you both." Murdain knelt beside the campfire, examining it, while keeping an eye on the two new friends. Frankly, neither looked threatening. Specter, at most, might have been a conman, what with ease of speech - course, his lineage might have made that a tad difficult, but nothing a proper trick couldnt fix - and even he knew tricks. The orc had an interesting accent and a great hat, but that was about all he could say for him. "No weapon, neither, huh?" The dwarf rose to his feet, having looked at the stew. "Think you can estimate the way the blood flew, or how much of it is around? Hmm. Blunt object, striking with enough force, would make someone shed plenty of blood, and the body an' the rest'd just fly up or to the side. Dragon?" He shook his head. "I dont see no tracks, and they're fat enough to leave em even on firm ground. If it bit into em, there'd be leftover... parts." 

Name
Investigation: What were they cooking(bones?)
1d20+3 11
Perception: Tree branches in tree broken/body flew this way?
1d20+4 14
Psi-Bolstered Knack: If either roll fails, add d6, if it makes it a success, expended.
1d6 2

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 3 

AC: 16+1 | HP: 36/36 | Hit dice: 3/3d10

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8; DC 13 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

Attacks Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack | Menacing attack | Trip attack | DC 13;

Ved sighs loudly. "Orcs, you say? Well, there can't be too many in these parts, and I'd rather find them now than have them find me later when I'm not expecting it." He unslings his crossbow and holds it ready. "Lead on, wolf. But this better not be a trick."

He tries to tread as softly as the wolf, but its not easy in chainmail.

Edited by Knave (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
keep(2d20,lowest,1)+5 11,9

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame  Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 13 | Spell Attack +5

Barkvin finishes rumaging through the packs, taking any food or water skins that looked good and the rope and putting them into his pack.  Listening to the other comments, the half orc/half elf nodded.    "Aye, I don't know much about dragons, but this don't seem like their work.  The whole camp would have been burned up.  Maybe some kind of bird or flying monster grabbed them and just left a splattering of blood.  Nothing in these packs indicating who these poor souls were.  May Sola have mercy on them and guide them with her divine light back to her presence."  The half orc offers a short prayer holding his holy symbol of the sun goddess Sola.  "Well, me hearties, I don't know that we can do much else for these wretches, but if it were some creature that killed them, I for one would hate to be here if it returned.  Perhaps we should be on our way?"  He suggests looking up nervously at the sky.