New OOC Tavern

Grendel

Time for some swashbuckler stuff I guess. Is this tunnel wide or narrow? Like can caspian run around the edge and get behind the targets or are they shoulder to shoulder with walls? Just trying to get an idea of the size of the cave. Also they are going to flee once they realize they are outmatched.

Edit: Also how do you treat advantage? Since both targets have been attacked and threatened by Bruti and Ehrick respectively does that mean Kaspar and I should get advantage on our attacks due to flanking? 

Edit Edit: So I actually just did some digging on 5e advantage, doesn't look like flanking is a thing... I'll keep digging but basically as long as I attack without anyone within 5 feet of me I get my SA per Swashbuckler Stuff, but I was more curious if you considered flanking to be a thing. I'll just have to specify a little more clear about my positioning from now on.

Edited by Wolfe208 (see edit history)

I've had enough real world for a few weeks. I appreciate the kind thoughts and I will let you guys know if I am going to lag behind at all but honestly like you said this is a good respite from the real world. 

So after some further review, we don’t get advantage on our attacks unless we flank opposite sides (front and behind or sides), but I do still get sneak attack without advantage if there is an enemy of the target creature within 5 ft. of it. 

The flanking rule is optional, not going to bother with it right now.  But you are correct that as long as you have an ally within five feet of the target and that ally isnot at disadvantage (and neither are you) you can sneak attack.  An 11 is going to miss either one of them, but please be specific ont he next attack whether you are attacking the guy on the Right of Left (arbitrary directions based on where they were when Kaspar first saw them.)  Also, the bend in the passage is at 10 feet from the entrance, which is where they were when Kaspar saw them (5 paces more or less).

1 hour ago, Grendel said:

The flanking rule is optional, not going to bother with it right now.  But you are correct that as long as you have an ally within five feet of the target and that ally isnot at disadvantage (and neither are you) you can sneak attack.  An 11 is going to miss either one of them, but please be specific ont he next attack whether you are attacking the guy on the Right of Left (arbitrary directions based on where they were when Kaspar first saw them.)  Also, the bend in the passage is at 10 feet from the entrance, which is where they were when Kaspar saw them (5 paces more or less).

How are we going to do Initiative this round?

If you move 30 feet into the caves you will be well within the next room.  Since you have no light and can't see in the dark that is probably a bad idea.  You can amend your action to stay with the others if you like.

5 damage on a 24 attack roll and it's a wrap for hobgoblin number two (at least I assume it's a hobgoblin, being large and red. Big fan of hobgoblins)

Clerical things that Brother Bruti doesn't do will be one of his recurring gimmicks

1 hour ago, Grendel said:

If you move 30 feet into the caves you will be well within the next room.  Since you have no light and can't see in the dark that is probably a bad idea.  You can amend your action to stay with the others if you like.

I will amend the action he will stay at teh edge of torchlight

Edited by Wolfe208 (see edit history)

Personally I like the flanking rules, but I think it's fine to leave them out.

Speaking of torches, etc, I kind of assumed I got the basic gear in the explorer's pack (or adventurer's pack) so I should have some torches and rations? If not then nbd but I'm so used to taking it as a given that you get that when you don't start at level 1 with background/class equipment. Maybe that's just the games I've played, my oversight if not. Not that Bruti has a free hand anyway, but I thought I was choosing not to use a torch rather than not having one.

BTW I can cast a spell as a reaction when something provokes an AoO instead of making a melee attack, how are we handling stuff like that, if/when it does come up?