New OOC Tavern

Grendel

I'm just thinking that in order of priority I'd put rescuing the guy over asking a possible business associate about him (unless we're assuming Wortman & co are dead already). So long as we don't take too much of an ass-kicking from the goblins (and I can always cast Prayer of Healing outside of battle even so), nothing to stop us from heading towards the Baron immediately after, especially if Lightbringer (and presumably Brother Bruti as well, unless the story points us in different directions) is headed there anyway. Can't hurt to meet the Baron with a notch in our belts.

You came from the West.  The road runs parallel to the town south of it, around the hill.  But there are two gates, West and East.  You guys entered the town from West gate.  To go to the Baron's you can either exit from the same gate, then swing around the hill to the south of the town until you get east of it.  Or exit the east gate.  Either way, you head just a little further east and hit a crossroads, the southern way leads to a logging camp and then the Baron's manor.  Here is a rough plan of the town.  The brown curved line is the town wall.  The outer road joins the inner road East and West of this diagram, and runs parallel to the south along the river.

spacer.png

I drew this map a long time ago, so while not perfect for this discussion, I hope it gives a sense of the town.  But the key here, and this is sort of Ehrick's backyard so he would know, is if they were waylaid while bypassing the town south of it you would not have passed the ambush site.

Bruti is not bound to Lightbringer's party any more than the rest of you.  Since Lightbringer is going to see the Baron, you could divide, he goes ahead with Caelyn while you guys swing around to look for the ambush site.

Well considering the wagon had a load to drop at the brewery. So I would expect that even if he gave her a ride to the Barons he would have dropped of his load first. So if we are going to look for the missing wagon then Ehrick would be headed back the way they came. If the group decides to go after the bandits then he will join them and hope the missing people are being held hostage and not dead.

I only mean that we're kinda using Lightbringer as a plot arrow and as Bruti's entry point to the party, so he's 'with' him until the party has a reason not to be (like if Lightbringer goes on ahead to see the Baron, for example, Bruti will go after Wortman/the goblins with the party regardless because he's already decided on it).

Edited by The Foiler (see edit history)

So if the wagon came from the West, should we assume it went in through the western gate to get to the brewery and then followed the road through town, leaving through the east gate? Or did they intend to go back the way they came?

EDIT: I see the IC thread was updated as well, got it now. Bruti is already committed to trying to save the guy, so I think we're all in agreement

Edited by The Foiler (see edit history)

Ehrick inquired at the brewery and they didn't stop there.  If the passengers were in a hurry they might have gone around, bypassing the town, intending to get off and walk from the crossroads.  Then Wortman could enter the town from the East and go about his business.

That and the guards told him they have not seen the wagon or people either. And even if they had taken the wagon around, the guards would have seen them. May thoughts are the wagon never made it to town and was waylaid somewhere in between the two towns. 

Of course once we leave town and head west Rodin will be looking for signs of a wagon leaving the road. So if they left the road and went around, he should spot that.

I figure that if he takes 10 in his survival check to spot the tracks that gives him a 15, which I hope will be enough to spot wagon tracks leaving the road since that is not a normal occurance. And if someone else is skilled at survival or tracking, then they can help him and boost it to a 17.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

Rodin?  There is no taking 10 in 5e, only passive checks and those only apply to Perception, sometimes Insight.  "And even if they had taken the wagon around, the guards would have seen them." Not a valid assumption, the bypass road is not entirely visible from the gates.

41 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Rodin?  There is no taking 10 in 5e, only passive checks and those only apply to Perception, sometimes Insight.  "And even if they had taken the wagon around, the guards would have seen them." Not a valid assumption, the bypass road is not entirely visible from the gates.

Sorry. I am playing another Ranger in a different game and that is 3.5. Got names and games mixed up. 😉

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)