The Low Quarter (cont.)

Eric

"'Course. Astans haven't got any compunctions about takin' slaves, so it's not like they would pay for this kind of work." Devees's jaw tightens just a little, the muscles in his cheeks forming taut lines on either side of his nose. "Which means either you're freelancin'... or we're on the same job. So which is it?"

50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpgThe realization of the man's words rested somewhere in the blind spot of Byll's psyche. He hid the surprise upon his face, but only barely. The long pause that accompanied it was another way for him to regain himself.

"Hedged his bets, I reckon." Byll finally replied, not sure of the feelings his counterpart had on the matter. The words tasted sour on his lips. The reality quickly sinking in. "You're not sending two teams down here looking for two different things. Nor should we expect to find two different things."

The elf looked over at the huddled mass that had been holding the crown just a few moments before, "It looks like you found something."

Astaban decided to trust Byll for the moment. He maintained his position and spoke loud enough for Byll to hear him clearly. He wanted this 'Dev" to see he wasn't hiding his words, but he didn't speak so loudly that he sounded like he wanted to be heard either. "I'm not splitting treasure or reward...let me know what that means for us."

"So what if we did? You planning to make a stink about it?" Devees juts out his chin pugnaciously. "Keep your nose to your own business. There's enough of it to go around these days."

• 2 weeks later...

50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpgByll couldn't hide his annoyance, even in the shadowed underground tunnels. "I think this is as far as you get in this tunnel, is what I think." His body had grown rigid as his anger grew, making his naturally cock-eyed stance all the more statuesque.

"You go on back that'a way. We'll go on back this'a way. Seeing as you got hold of a different entry point anyways, you'll do fine to see yourselves back out." Byll thought better of telling Dev when the man should be headed that direction, and instead offered up some bait. "Whatever you guys found, it's yours. If we find something, it'll be ours."

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+7 1

Devees grunts indelicately. "Right. Wouldn't want anything unfortunate to happen to a colleague." He gestures with his off hand in a backwards-wavy sort of motion back at the door. "Best be on your way before we needed to reconsider whether your word was good."

50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpgByll's eyes thinned and he thought of a dozen retorts before swallowing them all back down. There were many scenarios where he'd not hesitate to put the man in his place, but this underground room seemed to be squeezing the air out of everyone at the moment. The elf could almost feel the hidden eyes of those in the back room staring at him and he better be on his best behavior.

"Charmed, as always." He said, turning around and leaving the room but not before waving Karn and Astaban to lead the way. Once cleared of the doorway, Byll closed it and looked to see if something could be wedged to keep it closed.

50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpgWith nothing obvious to carry out the next step of his plan, the elf simply waved everyone away from the door. He pressed a finger to his lips at any protests and simply ushered everyone back through the second southern door until they were all in the large hall again. He closed the door behind him there too, this time as quietly as he could.

Using a whispered tone, he huddled everyone together. "Devees's not take kindly to the idea of us finding something he thought to get himself. He may come for us."

The elf looked around the room. It occurred to him that this was the first room they'd actually found anything of substance so far in this expedition and it hadn't even been on the checklist. "Someone make sure that tile is back in place and then we'll see to that other hallway. Rear guard is now watching for signs of traitorous rivals."

Layna shrugs. "Sounds like we just need to put an arrow in his chest, then. That'll teach him to keep his distance." She never had much patience for humans, and especially meddlesome ones. "None of this treasure belongs to him or his kind, anyway."

The half-elf shrugs and gestures toward the door. "Well, I'll keep rear guard. And if I see him, he's going to be doing his best impression of a sieve." She looks to Byll. "So then, where now?"