The Low Quarter (cont.)

Eric

Karn goes over to the others and says, "Those skeletons aren't chained to the wall. Them chains go through the wall to somewhere's else."

He looks around and says, "Could be someone on the other side of the wall could let them free if they want. And raise up that portcullis and let them zombies out too. So stay ready."

• 2 weeks later...

50808a9afe01a02070531e3b55fe89fc.jpg

News of what amounted to a double-layered defense trap brought a wrinkle to Byll's face. "Who's mounting a defense down here?" He said aloud, as he tried to rectify the ridiculous with the pragmatic.

"Can we cinch' the chains somehow to each other, at least keep them controlled that way? Whatever happens, it's going to happen soon I'm guessin'." He fiddled with his belt for a moment, looking to see if anyone volunteered any more ideas.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

Astaban saw the new zombie-like creatures and heard the suggestion from Byll. He moved closer to the bars of the new undead things and took a closer look. "Is there a reason we don't just stick sharp objects into them through the bars?" He turned away and made a bit of a disgusted face at the site of them. "I mean I would feel safer if we eliminated them as threats rather than just creating a long weird chain of them."

He shrugged at Byll who he was starting to trust at least a little. "You're supposed to be the guide down here, you tell us."

Byll gave the portcullis and unfathomable horrors beyond it an befuddled wave of his hand. "You think I knew this was here?" He gave a cutting motion with his hand, suggesting he didn't want an answer to his question. "This was a recovery job, no more and no less. But it certainly feels like this whole place has been overrun."

The elf tried to gauge the interest by the others, but either the shadows or the recent run-in with former coworkers made that difficult. "If you want to practice your archery, be my guest."

It did not take a studying wizard to know what was happening, and Bloody Byll smirked at the new development. "These people are twisted." He remarked, but without any bitterness in his voice.

"So who shall be the bait?" He asked, but he already knew the answer. "I'm guessing it'll be too heavy to prop it open once it's up, but we should try."

Layna shrugged. "Not unless we want to take down one of the other doors in a hurry." She draws her sword, feeling perhaps instinctively that arrows would be of little use against the walking dead.

Brynna nods and casts a spell, summoning a large dog, which she directs to attack the skeleton on the left.

(Summon Monster II, celestial riding dog, +4 to STR and CON due to being a conjuror

attackdamage

Edited by bzipser (see edit history)
Name
attack
1d20+5 14
damage
1d6+5 4

Karn decides to put his fists where his mouth is and moves in to attack the same skeleton that Brynna did. His fists move very fast <Flurry of Blows>

Attack 1

Damage 1

Attack 2

Damage 2

Name
Attack 1
1d20+6 8
Damage 1
1d8+2 2
Attack 2
1d20+6 6
Damage 2
1d8+2 4

Between Brynna's fantastic canine and Karn's flurry of fists, the long-decayed skeletons are quickly dispatched. The portcullis slips down the couple of inches it had raised, landing on the stone floor with a resounding BAM that echoes through the room. The ghouls trapped behind it continue to grope through, though it appears the bars will keep them from breaking through for quite some time.

Astaban looks at the portcullis and then back at the now-slain skeletons. "I bet we have to go in there... it's going to be harder to raise that thing now..." He takes a step forward and checks the portcullis and the ghouls. He takes his short sword from his belt and tries to quickly get one of the creatures on the other side of the portcullis if they are close.

Name
Attack if Needed
1d20+6 16
Damage if Needed
1d6 6

• 1 month later...