Chapter 1: A Call for Heroes | Part 1: The Swordlord's Feast

bwatford

image.png.eb8d450b2b96d03fe6abe3c9ff5f680c.png

Chapter 1: A Call for Heroes Part 1: The Swordlord's Feast

image.jpeg.c5ca68c870a7ecc8449bd8c56eab645c.jpeg

🎵 Mood Music 🎵

PART 1:
THE SWORDLORD’S FEAST

Before the future rulers of the Stolen Lands even set foot in those wild regions, they’re merely individuals in the southern reaches of Brevoy in or near the city of Restov, each with their own history and goals. As this adventure begins, your party and others have caught the eye of one of the nobles of the city of Restov—Lady Jamandi Aldori.

Lady Jamandi, a wealthy and influential swordlord of the city of Restov in southern Brevoy, has come up with a bold and somewhat unusual plan to officially lay claim to the so-called Stolen Lands, an enormous swath of wilderness wedged between Brevoy and the River Kingdoms that has long resisted attempts at settlement. Her “call for heroes” promises a great and perilous opportunity to claim an equally heroic reward. Though this call has reached the ears of many mercenaries and would-be heroes—including your party.

As our story begins, the party have answered Lady Jamandi’s “call for heroes” and arrived at her impressive hilltop manor. A cobblestone path, bordered by regal oak trees and well-manicured hedges, winds its way up the hill for nearly a mile, past a two-story guard barracks, the stables, and a dozen thatched-roof cottages that house the families of the manor’s servants and retainers. The manor itself is a sprawling, three-story structure constructed of light gray mortared stone, surrounded by hedge-lined rose gardens and ancient oak trees.

And here you sit, gathered between the oaks on the walkway leading to the manor's front door, awaiting your turn to be led into the Great Hall. Others who have answered Lady Jamandi’s call for heroes also wait, you have noticed that you make up a small group of individuals, who are last in line to be admitted. The sky above is gloomy, and distant thunder suggests a storm is imminent.

The Great Hall
5:17 pm
Oathday (Thursday), 24th of Calistril (February), 4710 AR

SCENE INSTRUCTIONS
Everyone please introduce and describe your character at this time; whether or not you know each other is up to all of you at this time.

Show Active Maps

No Maps Currently Active!!

Show Bookkeeping

PERCEPTION DC'S

Not Currently in Use.

INITIATIVE
Not Currently in Use.
MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use.

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use.

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use.

CHARACTER 1

Not Currently in Use.

CHARACTER 2

Not Currently in Use.

CHARACTER 3

Not Currently in Use.

CHARACTER 4

Not Currently in Use.

CHARACTER 5

Not Currently in Use.

• 2 weeks later...

Ottokar Pridebrand - Duergar Fighter 1 spacer.png 

AC: 16 | HP: 13/13 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 13

What a course had led him to such a state was truly remarkable. For Ottokar, one who knew the history of his people, the prospect of dire circumstances presaging great renewal was hardly alien. Yet still, he found it very strange to stand outside, awaiting a meeting with a skyborn noble to receive a charter for some expedition into a savage frontier. Sprung from prison by the strings of one consortium or house, Ottokar was not quite sure, he found the prospect far better than gallows and a gibbet, and so went along with it. Dying tomorrow was better than dying today.

"That," he thought wryly, "And these Brevoyan sorts certainly a better grip on things than the squabbling fools down south."

His time among the so called 'River Kingdoms,' whose lords did not even manage to hide their bandit origins behind pomp and circumstance, had not impressed. Other realms he'd only passed briefly through, and he'd heard stories of rightly ruled places such as Cheliax and the like, but had seen not much of it yet. Brevoy, at least, seemed put together enough. He'd heard rumors the whole lot of them weren't many generations removed from bandits or pirates themselves, yet they hid it well. The ones that picked him up, he wasn't sure of their emblem, but they were good sailors, that much was sure, and professional. He admired them, he'd have worked for them even. He wouldn't be staying, of course; they'd seen fit to set him off on a job, but the thought remained.

He glanced at the others still waiting, including the group he'd been set up with, without much pomp or formality or even explanation. The manacles hadn't been removed long before he'd been set up with the group, whose names he barely caught and whose mean he hadn't yet fully grasped. Two humans, nobles by their look and dress, a distant kin, and a short thing he had never seen the like of. He'd not have picked any for a crew at first, but then again he'd seen more than his share of oddities among the outcasts. Was unwise to go strictly by appearances...

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Orchard - Fairy Rangerspacer.png

AC: 18 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13

Sitting in deep contrast to the rough-looking Duergar is the short one. With sandy blonde hair that's sun-kissed and tied into a ponytail, and jade green eyes that shine with an innocence of one who's had few troubles in life, Orchard looks curiously on at everything. Coming not too far from the city, out in the Rostland countryside, he knows well enough that his attachment to this group was because other merchants hadn't volunteered. Still, it isn't troubling to him at all. 

The truth of the matter is, Orchard himself isn't entirely sure what matter of creature he is, the best he can describe himself is "Gnomish", with his longer ears and short stature, but he lacks the vibrant hair and other qualities that make the Gnomes stand out. He lacks the big, hairy feet to make him a proper Halfling either. He too accepts this. It's a great big world with many, many kinds of peoples out there. He is simply one among them.

Wearing armor that's clearly new, and favoring a large, wooden staff over his shortbow, he might seem at home as a member of a town watch... in a safe, secluded farmstead... perhaps as assistant to the town watch. Anyone with real experience in a fight can tell the young man is green, which for such a bold and dangerous quest is curious.  

"This is a very nice home." Orchar's unassuming, carefree voice matches the simple compliment. "Must take a lot of work to maintain it, like a farm but instead of crops you get a pleasant view."

Orchard gives a great big stretch of his arms, or at least as great of a stretch as a shortfolk can have. So many people. Are we all going to the Stolen Lands or is she choosing only some of us?

Mechanics

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

HD: 1/1d10

Foe Slayer: 2/2

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

"That, sure," Ottokar said after a moment, almost despite himself, "And it looks good for others. It's power. Like a fat merchant showing off how much he doesn't have to work anymore. Or a man wearing a sword to show he is willing to kill to defend himself, though a lot of those don't know how to use the stuff they've got."

The line wasn't meant to be caustic, and Ottokar checked himself slightly, "Lot of folks don't know how to use the stuff they've got, and a lot of folks don't look like they can use the stuff they've got, though... always gotta be careful bout appearances."

It was the most he'd said in quite awhile beyond a simple yes or no to various authorities. Whatever and whoever the kid (or at least he thought it was a kid, but then again... looks being deceiving, who knew?) was, they'd be working together. Best make that work... and wise them up to the ways of things.

Mechanics

Action: 
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Anya Surtova - Human Clericspacer.png

AC: 13 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 13

Anya chuckles at the young man's observation of Lady Jamandi's estate. Nice house? Well, that's one way of looking at a 600 year-old estate, one of the finest examples of Early Rostland architecture in the land. The tall, slender, dark-haired woman sat back from the group, eyeing the rest of the candidates as one would a new platoon.  Some good muscle here, if they can follow orders. Looks like we have a scout or two as well. Always useful on a field op. Her lips quirk in a small smile. And no sign of Nico. Interesting. Probably sleeping off a bender. Best if he misses out on this one. He'd charm his way onto the mission, then get bored. She looks over the assembled 'heroes' one more time. Well, best start in on the networking. That's what this party is for, after all.

She strides over to the young man who appreciates houses and his Duergar acquaintance. Her dark-red gown is stylish, with long sleeves. An observant individual might notice the sleeves cover several scars on her forearms, her hands more calloused than one might expect from someone dressed in such a noble fashion.

"A display of power? I suppose so. And not because they don't know how to use it. This house has been the seat of power of the Aldori Swordlords for several centuries." She gestures at the facade. "See there, the mortared stone? They haven't used that for building for over five hundred years." She extends a hand to the two heroes. "I am Anya, by the way. And you are?"

Mechanics

HD: 1/1d8

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)

Nicolay Surtova - Chaotic good Human Noble Sorcerer 1 https://i.imgur.com/y9DNaZL.png

AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Darkvision : 60 ft | Spell Slots : 1st 2/2 | Save vs Death:

Spells knownCANTRIPS (Sorcerer)

Mind Sliver, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Shape Water

FIRST LEVEL (Sorcerer)

Shield, Magic Missile, Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers
| Ability scores/skills/savesStrength 8 (-1)
Save -1
Athletics -1

Dexterity 14 (+2)
Save +2
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +2 | Stealth +2

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +4
No skills associated.

Intelligence 12 (+1)
Save +1
Arcana +1 | History +1 | Investigation +1 | Nature +1 | Religion +1

Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +3 | Medicine +1 | Perception +1 | Survival +1

Charisma 16 (+3)
Save +0
Deception +5 | Intimidation +5 | Performance +3 | Persuasion +5
| Spellcasting modsSorcerer - Spell Save DC: 13 | Spell Attack Mod: +5 | Proficiencies-Tools: Disguise kit

- Instruments: None

-Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaves, light crossbows

- Armors: None
| Special actionsTELEPATHIC SPEECH

Starting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

The telepathic connection lasts for a number of minutes equal to your sorcerer level. It ends early if you are incapacitated or die or if you use this ability to form a connection with a different creature.

TELEKINETIC

You learn the mage hand cantrip. You can cast it without verbal or somatic components, and you can make the spectral hand invisible. If you already know this spell, its range increases by 30 feet when you cast it. Its spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat.

As a bonus action, you can try to telekinetically shove one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. When you do so, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + the ability modifier of the score increased by this feat) or be moved 5 feet toward or away from you. A creature can willingly fail this save.

From far, a young blond man with spectacles in a brand new and lavish teal frock coat is leaning in a wall, near some roses bushes, brooding in the dark.  Never he felts so embarrassed and insulted in his life, to not let in like his station and pedigree will normally be considered, waiting outside with an amalgam of random people ranging from noble persons like to him to dirty mercenary or other scum, answering the call for ''would-be-heroes''.  He looks from time to time around, in hope to sees the familiar face of his good friend and future companion: Killian Ravenhold.  He is hoping that he will arrive before the rain... 

Then, he saw something that put some light in the darkness of his mind - a petite woman in a gorgeous dark-red gown, with dark hair and beautiful deep blue/cyan eyes, talking with a Dwarf and a blond lad Oh! Guess who arrived?  My ''dear'' cousin Anya, right on time to change my mood.  I had hard time to recognized her, without an armor or a uniform... What a sight for sore eyes!

He starts walking fast toward his relative, with a cunning smile on his face and the eyes round of excitement.  He heard that she contested his presence and role in the expedition.  Someone normal would have been insulted, but not Nicolay.  He, in fact, found it extremely amusing that she was forced to take him in her party considering their notorious and effervescent rivalry.  It was the cherry on the sundae, the ''glaçage au sucre' on the the strudel.  And he is determined to metaphorically prance around her tonight, to annoy the hell out of her. 

He's approaching her from behind, and says loudly but suavely ''OH MY! OH MY! Oh...MY!  Is it my dear Anya?  Look !  It's me, your favorite cousin, Nicolay!''  He puts the hand on each side of his face, exaggerating an emotion of surprise, the mouth and eyes wide open.  ''You are blinding us with your elegance and regalness!  The gown is highlighting your irresistible features tonight!  I didn't know you had such desirable curves under those armors of yours!'' 

He has a strong feeling that she is now shuddering, or at least cringing at the moment.  He is waiting with anticipation that she turn and look at him .

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

Killian Ravenhold - Dwarven Bard 1 :  - Character Sheet 

Screenshot_20230117-222531_Chrome.jpg.5d596d539e2942d48bd9b45e6c363a09.jpg

AC: 12 | HP: 11/11 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Darkvision : 60 ft
Bardic Inspiration : 3/3 | Spell Slots : 1st 2/2
Dwarven Resilience | Haughty Obstinacy | DM Inspiration:  0 | Death Saves : 0/0

Features

Dwarven Resilience

-ADV vs Poison Saves

-Resistance vs Poison Damage

Dwarven Toughness (+1 HP / LVL) 

Stonecunning : Expertise History Stonework

Languages : Common, Dwarven, Elven

Tools : Possess + Proficient : Cartography

Tools : Proficient Thieve's, Masons, Smiths

+ 1 Proficiency TBD

Killian arrives at the Aldori estate, in time to witness Nicolay flirting with a beautiful young noble woman outside.    

"Glad to see, some things never change Nicolay!!  Should have known, I'd find you out here, in the rain, how do we say in Restov, 'making introductions' ? Haha. Lady Aldori herself invites you to dinner, but TRUST Nicolay of the most noble Surtovans, to ensure that noone feels neglected while they await their own entrance. Well met friend.  You look well.  Do you plan to fill me in on this grand endeavor you have signed us up for? Now, or shall we wait out here until the feast is cold, our beards grown old, our ciders stale, and they've run out of ale?"

This ought to be an interesting evening.  Can't remember the last time, Nicolay and I were bored to sleep given half a chance.  And of all the places to invite us, they have certainly picked the jewel in the crown. 

Killian introduced himself, if Nicolay was too occupied with the beautiful noblewoman. The expedition team had come together quite nicely it would seem.  Nicolay certainly had an eye for talent. When Killian spotted the young man, his eyes widened, but his smile grew along with them. 

"Orchard? Aye, lad.  I do swear, ye must have grown another inch or three since last we crossed paths.  It seems as if the roads have treated you well.  How are you then? You look good."

It would of course come out, that Nicolay was in fact teasing his own cousin Anya. Leave it to Nicolay, indeed.  That made for a pair of Surtovans, and that was a matter that Killian would try not to focus too closely upon, lest he begin to see plots and schemes in the shadows.

He was not here for the political drama that seemed to linger around the noble houses like fog in autumn.  Killian had had more than enough before he left home.  He had accepted this invitation, as a personal favour to Nicolay.  In truth, Nico had not left Killian much option.  It had felt more like a demand, but they were the type of friends who had each had their moments. 

If Nicolay needed Killian on this crazy endeavor of his, well, Killian wouldn't let the mad man run off alone.  They had gotten each other out of some serious shenanigans in their days. 

Anya on the other hand, seemed to fit the bill for a Brevian Noblewoman. Killian could not help seeing flashbacks when he spoke with her.  On the other hand, she had a martial tone, hidden under the noble voice.  Where might that professional training have come from?

"The honourable Lady Anya Surtova is it? Now, your reputation precedes you my Lady.  Nicolay has many tales that feature his archrival, his grand nemesis, the fierce, the ferocious, the inscrutible, the indomitable, Cousin Anya? Hahaha!! I should have half expected you to be 10 feet tall, and breath fire!! Have no fear, I always take a Nico story with a grain of salt, and often with a hearty drink to wash it down. On a serious note, before we get swept inside, I should thank you for having me.  I always feel better, knowing I can watch Nico's back.  Some of the rumours I have heard, suggest there will be intense competition for this mission."  

Killian was sincere.  He would work hard to protect the team.  If half the rumours were true, they could find themselves in serious danger in short order. He would keep his ears open, and pour on the charm with the crowd at the feast tonight...

Then there was the matter of Killian's counterpart.  Anyone who told you that all dwarves were the same.  They lied.

Killian and Ottokar could not be much different from one another.  Killian made specific point to introduce himself personally to Ottokar, seeing as they were distant cousins, in some respect.

"Ottokar, was it? As Nicolay said, I am Killian.  I sense, that the story of how our two paths crossed today, could fill a song or three. I'm looking forward to working with you.  May I ask you, have you heard much about the mission ahead?" 

O ho, I wonder how things will fare with this one then ?  

Killian soon found out they were all waiting outside, to be invited in.  Some honour.  And it seemed that his group was to be the last ones invited in.  

"Why invite us here, to insult us so openly? I suppose, I understand my own position. It isn't as if Ravenhold is held in highest esteem at the moment. But to leave you two out here? Despite being Surtovan? What does that say, I wonder? Right. Right. I know Nico. I haven't forgotten."

Killian certainly had his own history with the nobility, and these days, the entire Garess House was on a razors edge. But he had to remind himself, that he had promised Nicolay that he would not start any unnecessary drama with the poncy, prissy, panzy, pouty, puffy nobles.  He meant to honour that commitment, to the best of his ability.

Mechanics : 

Darkvision 60 ft 

Main Hand: 
Off Hand:  Horn

Action:  ...
Bonus Action:  ...
Move:  ...
Manipulate:  ...
Concentration: ...

Weapons: 
Dagger : +3 To Hit / 1d4+1 P DMG / (20/60) Melee / Thrown / Light / Finesse 
Light Hammer : +3 To Hit / 1d4+1 B DMG / (20/60) Melee / Thrown / Light
Javelin : +3 To Hit / 1d6+1 P DMG / (30/120) Melee / Thrown
Light Xbow : +3 To Hit / 1d8+1 P DMG / (80/320) Range / Ammunition / Loading 

Spells Prepared
Cantrips : 
Blade Ward
Vicious Mockery

1st Level Spells :
Comprehend Languages (Ritual)
Detect Magic (Ritual) (Conc)
Unseen Servant (Ritual) 
Healing Word (B)

Stonecunning = Expert = +4
Athletics = +3
Arcana = +2
History + +2
Deception = +5
Persuasion = +5 
Outcast Noble Charisma vs Nobility = Disadvantage
Haughty Obstinacy : ADV Saves vs Charm effects (that seek to control my actions)
Haughty Obstinacy : Opponents Have Disadvantage to Intimidate Me

OOC : 

Out

Edited by Sweegy One (see edit history)

As Ottokar mentions merchants being fat, Orchard checks his arms instinctively and relaxes as he hasn't suddenly gained weight. The moment passes as he continues on with people not knowing how to use things and Orchard shrinks a little into himself as he knows he's one such person. Oh, he knows how to shoot a bow, how to swing a staff around, but he's no seasoned warrior that's for sure.

Here to set up some good trade, good trade to...

His thought dissipates as the rest of his appointed group approach and introductions begin. He finally answers Anya's question. "As Killian says, my name's Orchard. Garliopner if you need a surname, though that's just the name of the nice people who took me in. Orchard's honestly enough. I'm the one the Merchant's Guild sent. It's good to see you too Killian. I'm doing well, just... anxious a bit with all this." He gestures to the line in front.

For any in the party given word of  the Brevoy Merchant's Guild assistance, it was claimed they'd be sending in a 'rising star', a capable survivalist who'd help keep them safe. He doesn't appear to quite live up to the lofty claims, not at first glance certainly.

Orchard isn't one to lean too far into first impressions, but cannot help but form his own. Killian he knows a little, but the nobles and the rough-looking warrior are new. They seem like the kind of band who might venture off into lands to claim them, though Orchard doubts if he fits in. I'll have to earn my place with them. That Ottokar's words have already hit the nail twice onto Orchard makes him intimidating, and both Anya and Nicolay seem so confident, each in their own way. 

Mechanics

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Fortunately, you don't have to wait too much longer, as one of Lady Jamandi's servants calls for you to enter the manor—you are the final adventurers to be led into the building. As you enter, the first raindrops of the storm begin to fall.

The Great Hall

This spacious hall has been prepared for a great feast. Servant's hustle and bustle about, while several armed soldiers—Lady Jamandi’s house guards—watch over the hall from their positions against the east and west walls. To the north, a fire crackles away in a large fireplace. An iron lever secured by a lock adorns the fireplace’s eastern face. Two massive crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling twenty feet above. The walls are decorated with painted murals of idyllic woodland scenes: nymphs frolicking amid waterfalls, satyrs dancing with fawns in wooded glades, and various winged fairy creatures flitting through the trees. Nine long tables are arranged around the central portion of the room, each holding plates, utensils, mugs, goblets, and full, ready-to-be-poured pitchers of ale, wine, mead, and water. The smell of roasted meat and other delicious scents fill the room, yet no food has yet been served.

The servants escort you all to the same table. As chance would have it, several other potential adventurers have been seated here as well, seven in all—three humans, a dwarf, an elf, a gnome, and a halfling. You have no time to strike up a conversation with them, though, as a moment or two after you are seated, a bell rings.

The Lady Arrives

A striking half-elf woman enters the hall, followed by an aristocratic, middle-aged human man. The man wears finely tailored clothing, fit for a noble, while the woman appears dressed for battle. She wears a fine leather coat over a sparkling mail shirt, and at her waist hangs an Aldori dueling sword with a bright silver pommel. The two make their way to the head table, where they remain standing.

The man speaks first. “Greetings, heroes! I am Ioseph Sellemius, lord mayor of Restov. And this,” he gestures to the woman beside him, “is Lady Jamandi Aldori. We both thank you for answering her call for heroes. You may be few, but we need only the best for this great task.”

Lady Jamandi offers the room a broad smile before she speaks. “South of here, beyond Brevoy’s border, lie the Stolen Lands. This disputed territory has been claimed time and again by would-be settlers, but because the area has been a haven for bandits and monsters, it has never been held for long. Restov intends for this to change.

“If you have enough courage to drive off the dangerous denizens of the Stolen Lands, you can seize territory for yourselves and name yourselves baronesses or barons. Restov intends to recognize the legitimacy of the new rulers of this land, and none of the other neighboring realms care enough to challenge you. We are prepared to provide backing as a trade partner and military ally. If you claim the land, you will have my—indeed, all of Restov’s—support!”

Lady Jamandi raises her goblet. “But the details of your individual missions and charters into the Stolen Lands can wait. I raise my glass to you, brave heroes! For now, let us eat and enjoy the evening. Tomorrow promises to be a very busy day.”

After Lady Jamandi finishes speaking, her servants begin to circle around the room, filling mugs with ale, fruit juice, or water and serving food from heaping platters. The feast itself includes four courses in all: crisp greens lightly flavored with savory oils, spicy seasoned waterfowl, a main course of tender roast boar, and a finishing selection of fine desserts and cheeses. For the duration of the feast, the servants bustle about in their never-ending quest to keep mugs and goblets full and take discarded plates away to the scullery.

The young halfling woman at the table speaks up as the feast gets underway. She has a large leather-bound journal in front of her, into which she has been sketching profile images of everyone present at the table. "This is so exciting, isn't it? The 'Feast of Heroes!' This is just the prologue to our own thrilling tale of adventure, to be sure! And what an interesting cast of characters we have here..."

The Great Hall
6:00 pm

SCENE INSTRUCTIONS
HEROES FEAST
ROUND 1 of 6

During the feast, the PCs have time to chat among themselves or with the NPCs whose table they share. The NPCs described here are destined to become some of the PCs’ allies and enemies as Kingmaker unfolds. The feast plays out over the next two hours, broken into six separate 20-minute rounds. In each round, each PC can attempt to Influence or Discover information about one NPC at their table. For several of these NPCs, influence awards shift the NPC’s starting attitude for determining how they react to the PCs when they next meet.

Influence - You attempt to make a favorable impression on an NPC to convince the NPC to support your cause. Choose an NPC, and attempt a skill check of your choice that relates to the conversation to impress that NPC. The DC, and whether success is possible, depend on the NPC’s preferences to the skill check and the type of conversation you are having. You must RP the conversation but please limit it to a paragraph or so and don't bombard them with a ton of questions at once or it could lead to them becoming your enemy quickly.

Discover - You watch or study an NPC to learn more about that NPC’s likes or dislikes or how best to influence them. Choose an NPC and attempt a Perception check or an Insight skill check (your choice). You don't have conversation when you discover as you are just observing.

Show NPC's 

spacer.png

Amiri
Amiri is a tall and muscular human woman, clad in a mix of animal skins, leathers, and battle-scarred hide armor. She wears a massive greatsword in a leather scabbard across her back.
Influence Points: 0

spacer.png

Harrim
Harrim is a middle-aged dwarf cleric with a bald head and a long, salt-and-pepper beard. He wears a religious symbol of Groetus, God of the End Times.

spacer.png

Jaethal
Jaethal is deathly pale and wears dark clothing. Her raven-black hair is long, and she has no jewelry. Leaning against the table next to her is a massive, wickedly sharp scythe.

spacer.png

Linzi
Linzi is a young halfling woman wearing leather armor and a weather-worn cloak. She keeps a large leather-bound journal in front of her, into which she sketches profile images of everyone present at the table and scribbles occasional notes and verses for tunes she’ll never finish.

spacer.png

Maegar Varn
Maegar is a ruggedly handsome man with a constant shadow of a beard on his jaw; he wears his dark gray hair in a small bun. He carries a distinctive sword that bears the crest of House Varn—four hatchets arranged in a circle—on its pommel guard.

spacer.png

Tartuccio
Impeccably dressed in fine robes and silks, Tartuccio looks more like a stately gnome prince than an actual adventurer.

spacer.png

Valerie
Valerie is a tall, exceptionally beautiful woman with striking blue eyes and a warrior’s physique.

Show Active Maps

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Anya 13 | Orchard 13 | Ottokar 13 | Killian 11 | Nicolay 11

INITIATIVE
Not Currently in Use.
MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use.

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use.

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use.

ANYA SURTOVA

Hit Points: 9/9
Hit Dice: 1/1
Spell Slots: (ATK +5, DC 13) *L

• 1st Level: 2/2 

DM Inspiration: 1/1
Experience Points: 0 / 300

KILLIAN RAVENHOLD

Hit Points: 11/11 (Resist:poiosn; ADVSAV: poisoned)
Bardic Inspiration: 3/3 *L

NICOLAY SURTOVA

Hit Points: 8/8

ORCHARD

Hit Points: 12/12
Favored Foe: 1/1 *L

OTTOKAR PRIDEBRAND

Hit Points: 13/13 (Resist:poiosn; ADVSAV: charmed, poisoned, stunned)
Second Wind: 1/1 *S

Killian Ravenhold - Dwarven Bard 1 :  - Character Sheet

spacer.png

AC: 12 | HP: 11/11 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Darkvision : 60 ft
Bardic Inspiration : 3/3 | Spell Slots : 1st 2/2
Dwarven Resilience | Haughty Obstinacy | DM Inspiration:  0 | Death Saves : 0/0

Features

Dwarven Resilience

-ADV vs Poison Saves

-Resistance vs Poison Damage

Dwarven Toughness (+1 HP / LVL) 

Stonecunning : Expertise History Stonework

Languages : Common, Dwarven, Elven

Tools : Possess + Proficient : Cartography

Tools : Proficient Thieve's, Masons, Smiths

+ 1 Proficiency TBD

Killian is impressed as the Lady Jamandi Aldori herself arrives and addresses the attendees. The whole city bubbles with rumours and legends about Lady Aldori. He watches and listens, forming initial impressions of those nearest him. Linzi, appears to be an artist and storyteller like himself. Hopefully, the pair will have a chance to exchange stories and songs. Killian can feel his Lute and the Ramshorn, feel the music within. Linzi seems so petite, compared to Amiri and Valerie. The warriors each impressive in their own rights, if in different presentation. Before Killian can explore deeper conversation with either of the ladies, his attention is drawn to something about the Dwarven priest. 

Harrim. Quite a fierce warpriest. Killian may not be the most devout, but he figured that he and  Ottokar might have somewhere to break the ice, with one of their stone bearded kin. 

"Well, the food is excellent and the ale is flowing freely. A good start to the evening. Harrim, was it? My name is Killian Ravenhold. I thought it prudent to spend a few moments with you before i get pulled into the inevitable drama that invariably follows Nicolay here. I wonder, if you have heard any interesting information, abiut our Dwarven History in the southern lands? I've studied many legends of our ancient cousins past expeditions into the region. While several are blatantly wild rumour, I have uncovered a few hints that point to some truth of ancient thriving fortified Dwarven kingdoms, South of the river. I must admit, one thing I look forward to, is the chance to test the myths, legends, and rumours. Time threatens to forget our kin, our history. The Stolen Lands were Dwarven Kingdoms once, if the rumours hold truth. We are strong and unyielding, as the mountains. We won't see us easily forgotten. "

Killian would share any of the Dwarven legends he'd uncovered, especially those that seemed most fanciful. There were several claims of thriving Dwarven nations, now nearly forgotten centuries later. had his own history with the nobility, and these days, the entire Garess House was on a razors edge. But he had to remind himself, that he had promised Nicolay that he would not start any unnecessary drama with the poncy, prissy, panzy, pouty, puffy nobles.  He meant to honour that commitment, to the best of his ability.

If anyone showed any interest, Killian would accept an invitation to recite the epic ballad poems of ancient Dwarven kingdoms. The ebon horn of a giant ram rested lightly, ready to ring out the clarion call of ancient honour. 

Mechanics : 

INFLUENCE Harrim with Dwarven History and Diplomacy.

Darkvision 60 ft 

Main Hand: 
Off Hand:  Horn

Action:  ...
Bonus Action:  ...
Move:  ...
Manipulate:  ...
Concentration: ...

Weapons: 
Dagger : +3 To Hit / 1d4+1 P DMG / (20/60) Melee / Thrown / Light / Finesse 
Light Hammer : +3 To Hit / 1d4+1 B DMG / (20/60) Melee / Thrown / Light
Javelin : +3 To Hit / 1d6+1 P DMG / (30/120) Melee / Thrown
Light Xbow : +3 To Hit / 1d8+1 P DMG / (80/320) Range / Ammunition / Loading 

Spells Prepared
Cantrips : 
Blade Ward
Vicious Mockery

1st Level Spells :
Comprehend Languages (Ritual)
Detect Magic (Ritual) (Conc)
Unseen Servant (Ritual) 
Healing Word (B)

Stonecunning = Expert = +4
Athletics = +3
Arcana = +2
History + +2
Deception = +5
Persuasion = +5 
Outcast Noble Charisma vs Nobility = Disadvantage
Haughty Obstinacy : ADV Saves vs Charm effects (that seek to control my actions)
Haughty Obstinacy : Opponents Have Disadvantage to Intimidate Me

OOC : 

Trying to connect with Harrim initially in phase 1 of social scene. 

Trying an angle from Dwarven Legends. As a Bard, and Cartographer, and a Dwarf, this is one of the major character goals for Killian, to follow legends and myths of ancient Dwarven kingdoms, and while exploring the wilderness, seeking any truth to these legends. 

Not sure which skill you'd want. 

I would think. History and Diplomacy. I'd love to be able. To apply some sort Bardic Lore, but that's not exactly a thing mechanically in 5e right? Not the way I'm thinking of it at least. 

Edited by Sweegy One (see edit history)
Name
Support with Diplomacy
1d20+5 11
Phase 1 : Dwarven History Harrim
1d20+2 6

Anya Surtova - Human Clericspacer.png

AC: 13 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +0 | Passive Perception: 13

Anya leans back, disengaging from conversation to give her a chance to appraise these newcomers. So, an interesting crew. Who are you all? Eventually, her eyes linger on the one called Valerie. A striking woman, to be sure. Since Nico will be drawn to you like a moth to a flame, how can I set him up to succeed. She chuckles. A good leader gives her command jobs that they want to do anyway. Now that he's here, and he's definitely here, might as well turn him loose and let Nico be Nico. She runs a finger around the rim of her wineglass. So, Valerie, what makes you tick?

She leans over to Nicolay and murmurs, "So, cousin, I'm your grand nemesis now? I always thought of myself more as a babysitter." She gives a slight tilt of her head at Valerie near the end of the table. "Fine figure of a woman, there. Seems like she'd be the sort to woo with your flowery words, were you so inclined."

Mechanics

HD: 1/1d8

OOCSo, Anya totally botched her Insight roll. So I'm hopefully handing Nico a load of bad intel for his run at Valerie. Now, given that he really is charming, he may choose to ignore Anya and try a different approach, or go for someone else entirely. If he ignores her advice and scores successfully with Valerie, it could start us down the path where Anya comes to grudgingly respect him.

Edited by taurelin
Adding reaction to die roll (see edit history)
Name
Insight
1d20+5 1

Orchard is awed by the interior even more than the exterior. It's not that he's never seen fine art or architecture, but it's still a rarity for him. He doubts greatly that he is "the best" as the good Lady Aldori claims, but perhaps in time.

At least it doesn't seem like she's auditioning us. I wonder if she should...

Orchard, not exactly the life of a party, takes his time to quietly observe and better understand his surroundings having the sense to not stumble into social scenes with his country bumpkin ways. As he notices others in his group begin to reach out to the other adventurers, Orchard finds himself most drawn to looking at the Gnome, Tartuccio. In some ways seeing a Gnome offers some familiarity, but on the other hand the man appears Orchard's opposite with his dress, style, the way he holds himself.

It's something of a distraction, the blend of what he knows and doesn't that makes it a little harder to pin him down. Still, the young merchant tries to discern what he can, out of curiosity more than any strategy or scheming. 

Beyond this, he thoroughly enjoys the meal, making sure to get a sample of everything, not shy about expressing on his face how much he's liking every last dish. 

Mechanics

Action: Insight on Tartuccio
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Orchard Insight into Tartuccio
1d20+7 5

Nicolay Surtova - Chaotic good Human Noble Sorcerer 1 https://i.imgur.com/y9DNaZL.png

AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 11 | Darkvision : 60 ft | Spell Slots : 1st 2/2 | Save vs Death:

Spells knownCANTRIPS (Sorcerer)

Mind Sliver, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Shape Water

FIRST LEVEL (Sorcerer)

Shield, Magic Missile, Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers
| Ability scores/skills/savesStrength 8 (-1)
Save -1
Athletics -1

Dexterity 14 (+2)
Save +2
Acrobatics +4 | Sleight of Hand +2 | Stealth +2

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +4
No skills associated.

Intelligence 12 (+1)
Save +1
Arcana +1 | History +1 | Investigation +1 | Nature +1 | Religion +1

Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
Animal Handling +1 | Insight +3 | Medicine +1 | Perception +1 | Survival +1

Charisma 16 (+3)
Save +0
Deception +5 | Intimidation +5 | Performance +3 | Persuasion +5
| Spellcasting modsSorcerer - Spell Save DC: 13 | Spell Attack Mod: +5 | Proficiencies-Tools: Disguise kit

- Instruments: None

-Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaves, light crossbows

- Armors: None
| Special actionsTELEPATHIC SPEECH

Starting at 1st level, you can form a telepathic connection between your mind and the mind of another. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You and the chosen creature can speak telepathically with each other while the two of you are within a number of miles of each other equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 mile). To understand each other, you each must speak mentally in a language the other knows.

The telepathic connection lasts for a number of minutes equal to your sorcerer level. It ends early if you are incapacitated or die or if you use this ability to form a connection with a different creature.

TELEKINETIC

You learn the mage hand cantrip. You can cast it without verbal or somatic components, and you can make the spectral hand invisible. If you already know this spell, its range increases by 30 feet when you cast it. Its spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat.

As a bonus action, you can try to telekinetically shove one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. When you do so, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + the ability modifier of the score increased by this feat) or be moved 5 feet toward or away from you. A creature can willingly fail this save.

Nicolay smiles and emit a brief but playful chuckle as Anya mention being his babysitter instead of a nemesis.  He takes his glass of wine and puts it to his mouth, but almost spits the content as she is giving him terrible advice on how to flirt with the beautiful blonde woman named Valerie.  For someone to show at a banquet in armor.. the stick is probably more profound than yours, my dear cousin he thought for himself, not so in disbelief that someone like her would know nothing of courting someone else. 

I really have to show her how it's done though.  Let's see... First, short hair. Not so lady like -  She is probably from some kind of militant organization. More for practicality than fashion sense, obviously. Next, well, the armor at the table... probably because she feels comfortable being always protected.  Someone who kinda lack confidence but who want to empathize that she's a warrior or rich.  In this scenario, my feeling is the first option.  Let's start with this...

He points his glass toward Valerie to get her attention ''This is nice, and impeccable equipment you are wearing right now, my lady.  My bet is that you are a soldier of some sort?  We absolutely need people like you in the Stolen Lands, as a strong arm and discipline would be more than welcome in this savage territory.''

He whip his hand in front of him rapidly ''Yours is Nicolay Sartova, sons of Kovlac of the same name.''  And he makes the same gesture toward her cousin ''And this is Anya Sartova, our cunning and capable leader into this journey''.

His hands stop moving in front of Anya, then the other hand puts the glass on the table delicately.  Then, he lift a finger in front of his face and push back his spectacles ''Sorry to bother you with questions, but I'm a bit curious: Someone who has such discipline maintaining such a beautiful piece of armory and have the arms strong brandishing heavy weapons must have quite a great character to enforce law and order when these lands are going to be tamed.  Best of luck to us, of course! No offense.''

He laughs a little at his own joke, then carries on ''My point is: despite being from a different group, it would have an advantage for everyone to be on good terms, and even show cooperation?  Who knows, if we do take the barony, someone with your particular skills could find an advantageous place in our kingdom, but on the contrary, if your group is achieving the feat, the door may be also... open?  We all want the best for Brevoy, isn't?''

He leans a bit over the table, putting his most charming smile on his face ''Maybe you can tell us a bit more about yourself, and we do the same.  Maybe we will find affinity among rivals.'' - he turn his face toward Anya, and his eyes are telling a lot of messages - ''If I can do this with my she-devil babysitter, probably we can do the same among other civilized folks?''

OOCDefinitively a persuasion roll 😛

Edited by Harding (see edit history)
Name
roll
1d20+5 18

As both the man named Sellemius and the Aldori woman, a supposed 'swordlord' by her name and the words of the noble woman, made their speeches and introductions the full scope of what he'd been impressed into dawned on him. The implication and rumor had swirled, and he was no fool, so he'd gathered much from those, but the direct words were remarkable... and promised much danger. It was not hard to believe that such land existed; the Darkland was rife with such spaces and it was confined in many ways the surface was not. He'd passed through the Hold of Belkzen on his way here, and heard of other such places besides. Even the River Kingdoms were wild and untamed, in many ways.

Yet for land to remain unclaimed so close at hand implied things about it that were worrisome. To send out so many in hopes that some might succeed and claim not merely land but a title to go with it... that was quite the promise. It was rightful too... bring order, and claimed the spoils. Yet such things were done by hard men and women, and as he looked about he saw many soft, like that gnome and halfling, and doubted at once their place. Others seem fit for battle, after a fashion, but only one stood out to him as one truly fit for such a task... even heeding his own earlier words about appearances and deception, he let the others go about their little mixers.

"The rights sort here could be vital to any chance... the sort of thing the captains never thought through..."

For the reaver, there was but one person worth speaking to. At least, at first, that was...

"Mix of soft and hard in here," he said, striding up to the tall and powerfully built woman with the sword seemingly as big as she was. He gave her an appraising glance, his hard features and seemingly natural glower despite the jovial tone managing hopefully to make it seem merely analytic rather than lecherous, "Some folks seem like they've never been outside city walls, others look like they know how to hold their own in a fight... but you, you seem about the only one who knows what its like to survive, am I right? They might kill something but they don't know how to use it, to survive on it. Folks like you and I do the hard work here, I think. The sort that keep folks alive and things on track, you know?"

Mechanics

Action: Using Survival to try to sway Amiri
Bonus Action: 
Move: 
Manipulate: 

Name
Survival
1d20+3 12

Killian spent the next twenty minutes engaged in conversation about dwarven runes with Harrim, a conversation the balding cleric of Groetus seemed to enjoy with his fellow dwarf. Harrim admitted that he himself answered Jamandi’s call for heroes after learning of the existence of possible lost dwarven ruins in the Stolen Lands, and he hopes to rediscover them before they crumble away entirely, or before the world ends—whichever comes first. He then went on to ramble about the end of days.
1 influence point earned.

Anya meantime tried to get a bead on what made Valerie tick as she watched the woman's responses to her words. Valerie was polite and extremely well-mannered, but she seemed to have little time or interest to take part in humor or jokes.

Orchard meanwhile studied the gnome sorcerer that was dressed in the fine silk robes, he was hard to get a feeling for, he was brash and obnoxious and has an obvious superiority complex. He’s also rude and argumentative, doing little to hide that he thinks poorly of most of the people present. He insults anyone within earshot and loudly proclaims he’s the only attendee worthy enough to rule the Stolen Lands.

Despite Anya not being able to read Valerie, Nicolay put his best foot forward to make an introduction to the woman and to start up a conversation. She thought it most honorable that Nicolay offered a spot for them in their kingdom or vice versa if roles were reversed. She explained that she was born into nobility, and once sought to become a champion of Shelyn, but an act of blasphemy forever set her on a much more ordered and organized path. She doesn’t regret abandoning her original path, but she does regret how her fellow Shelynites reacted to her choice.
2 influence points earned.

Meanwhile Ottokar struck up a conversation with Amiri about survival, the conversation then quickly turned to comparing stories of surviving in the wilds with attempts to one up each other. She explains that she left her clan under awkward circumstances to seek her fortune as an adventurer, and she often masks the still somewhat fresh hurt of being exiled with crass comments and bravado.
1 influence point earned.

The Great Hall
6:20 pm

SCENE INSTRUCTIONS
HEROES FEAST
ROUND 2 of 6

During the feast, the PCs have time to chat among themselves or with the NPCs whose table they share. The NPCs described here are destined to become some of the PCs’ allies and enemies as Kingmaker unfolds. The feast plays out over the next two hours, broken into six separate 20-minute rounds. In each round, each PC can attempt to Influence or Discover information about one NPC at their table. For several of these NPCs, influence awards shift the NPC’s starting attitude for determining how they react to the PCs when they next meet.

Influence - You attempt to make a favorable impression on an NPC to convince the NPC to support your cause. Choose an NPC, and attempt a skill check of your choice that relates to the conversation to impress that NPC. The DC, and whether success is possible, depend on the NPC’s preferences to the skill check and the type of conversation you are having. You must RP the conversation but please limit it to a paragraph or so and don't bombard them with a ton of questions at once or it could lead to them becoming your enemy quickly.

Discover - You watch or study an NPC to learn more about that NPC’s likes or dislikes or how best to influence them. Choose an NPC and attempt a Perception check or an Insight skill check (your choice). You don't have conversation when you discover as you are just observing.

Show NPC's 

spacer.png

Amiri
Amiri is a tall and muscular human woman, clad in a mix of animal skins, leathers, and battle-scarred hide armor. She wears a massive greatsword in a leather scabbard across her back.
Influence Points: 1

spacer.png

Harrim
Harrim is a middle-aged dwarf cleric with a bald head and a long, salt-and-pepper beard. He wears a religious symbol of Groetus, God of the End Times.
Influence Points: 1

spacer.png

Jaethal
Jaethal is deathly pale and wears dark clothing. Her raven-black hair is long, and she has no jewelry. Leaning against the table next to her is a massive, wickedly sharp scythe.

spacer.png

Linzi
Linzi is a young halfling woman wearing leather armor and a weather-worn cloak. She keeps a large leather-bound journal in front of her, into which she sketches profile images of everyone present at the table and scribbles occasional notes and verses for tunes she’ll never finish.

spacer.png

Maegar Varn
Maegar is a ruggedly handsome man with a constant shadow of a beard on his jaw; he wears his dark gray hair in a small bun. He carries a distinctive sword that bears the crest of House Varn—four hatchets arranged in a circle—on its pommel guard.

spacer.png

Tartuccio
Impeccably dressed in fine robes and silks, Tartuccio looks more like a stately gnome prince than an actual adventurer.

spacer.png

Valerie
Valerie is a tall, exceptionally beautiful woman with striking blue eyes and a warrior’s physique.
Influence Points: 2

Show Active Maps

Show Bookkeeping

PASSIVE PERCEPTION

Anya 13 | Orchard 13 | Ottokar 13 | Killian 11 | Nicolay 11

INITIATIVE
Not Currently in Use.
MECHANICS

Not Currently in Use.

CONDITIONS

Not Currently in Use.

DESCRIPTIONS

Not Currently in Use.

ANYA SURTOVA

Hit Points: 9/9

KILLIAN RAVENHOLD

Hit Points: 11/11 (Resist:poiosn; ADVSAV: poisoned)
Bardic Inspiration: 3/3 *L

NICOLAY SURTOVA

Hit Points: 8/8

ORCHARD

Hit Points: 12/12
Favored Foe: 1/1 *L

OTTOKAR PRIDEBRAND

Hit Points: 13/13 (Resist:poiosn; ADVSAV: charmed, poisoned, stunned)
Second Wind: 1/1 *S