Transitioning

Poor_Knight

Essentially, Baldr will decentralize AL Games. Each game will be it's own game now, not a subfolder of one game, like it is here. That's good for forum features like private tags, or whatever. IMO it's not ideal for community-style play but maybe we can make it work still.

Feel free to join the AL Game "hub" and help plan a good transition.

• No more moving "character posts" between games
  • No more community PC approval (will be up to each DM to make sure the PC is legit)

Does the ALG hub really serve any purpose? If so:

• Do we continue an open game thread, or just rely on the parent system's functionality for that?
  • Do we encourage any cohesion between each game to signify it's ALG unity?
  • How should the hub be structured to make sense and provide value?

From what I saw in my attempt to start a game on Baldr, there is not really a way/need to centralize character sheets.  The sheet is linked to the game being played and then moved to the next game, just like if we were playing in the wild on OGMW.  I think the community has its place as a hub to discuss AL and bounce rules questions off of each other.  I hate to say it, but I don't see feasibility in maintaining an open tables topic.  We have no way of really enforcing that anyone use it, or really conform to any of the norms we set in the community.  The discussions and having topics for magic item trade and spell copying using downtime might help keep the "hub" together, though.  

39 minutes ago, Shambala said:

I hate to say it, but I don't see feasibility in maintaining an open tables topic.  We have no way of really enforcing that anyone use it, or really conform to any of the norms we set in the community.  The discussions and having topics for magic item trade and spell copying using downtime might help keep the "hub" together, though.  

Yeah I think I agree. It might serve as a separate "advertisements" directly for the people that use the "hub", but entirely voluntary. It suffers the same setbacks as on OGMW.

58 minutes ago, 8w_gremlin said:

Do we need a Character thread where we can post our AL characters at lease, that way we have a single point of truth for our characters and and can link them to the games we play in, as opposed to making multiple posts and copies?

We could do that. As Shambala pointed out, we cannot really move them from one game to another. But you could use it as the "source of truth" for that PC. I always though people did neat things with the "post" character sheet.

Yes, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that menu will show all of the games that have been toggled as Adventurer's League. Does it do anything beyond that? e.g. it's not a built-in hub for AL game players/DMs to communicate, answer questions, gripe about the next wave of rules changes in AL ;), etc.

So it serves as a defacto "games list" that silos conversation to each individual game (replacing the old folder structure we used). But without the continuity between the games and players and tables, ala convention seating. 

Unless I missed something.

So far, I don't hate this.  I like the idea of having this place as a central hub for conversations.  I imagine people can advertise games and openings here.  It will take some getting used to, and change is always hard, but this doesn't feel like a disaster to me.

Just now, Roilem said:

So far, I don't hate this.  I like the idea of having this place as a central hub for conversations.  I imagine people can advertise games and openings here.  

Definitely. The "Communities > Adventurer's League" drop down will already show all Adventurer's League games, but I think dropping a note here will be good to let the participants in the ALG community know when others are opening games and looking for players.

1 hour ago, Poor_Knight said:

Definitely. The "Communities > Adventurer's League" drop down will already show all Adventurer's League games, but I think dropping a note here will be good to let the participants in the ALG community know when others are opening games and looking for players.

Especially if we can establish the community as THE place to go for AL info and game announcements. There will be a lot of noise with nonAL adverts, so it might make finding new players harder. We will be going from an aquarium to the open ocean. Not that it’s bad, per se, but challenges loom. 

• 4 months later...

So can someone tell me how to set this up so anyone can join automatically? Would prefer not to have to approve each person. This should be free for all, IMO.

And anyone who wants to take on more of a community mgmt role let me know and I'll at least promote your membership to GM so you can help with the admin tasks. 🙂

Edited by Poor_Knight (see edit history)