General OOC

rogueblade0729

3 hours ago, rogueblade0729 said:

@grimlock There was a typo on my last post. The saddle Léofwyn found only grants +1 to all Strength and Dexterity ability checks while riding on a horse, as well as an additional +1 to checks to avoid being knocked off.

Got it!

Well everyone, you now have a choice to make! Do you wish to continue on with Tomas, joining his treasure hunt into the perils of the Midgewater Marshes? Or would you simply like to return to Bree, laden with treasure already, and let the young lad figure it out on his own? Or, maybe something else? Let's hear what you're thinking!

Alright folks, looks like we have a treasure hunt on our hands! I'll give Orn a chance to make a response, then we'll move along to the next stage of our story. I do have a couple of things to bring up to everyone, however, and I need your input for some of them.

1) If you have not already, please update your post headers with your leveled-up stats, or however you keep track of it in the IC thread.

2) We are entering a brief interlude in the adventure. This means that, if you all would like, we can take a short Fellowship Phase in Bree to let you all sort out your affairs. This would only be 2-3 weeks long, so you won't have time to travel anywhere outside except within the borders of Bree-land. However, the drawback to it is that the treasure hunt into the Midgewater Marshes will take place in winter, which will make travel more difficult. Tomas is eager to set out and does not want to wait for spring (he also wants to avoid his father until he has the treasure), but you can convince him of the wisdom in that with a successful DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion) check. There may be other consequences to tarrying as well, as the world around you carries on...

3) Anyone with proficiency in either skill can make an additional Intelligence (History) or Wisdom (Survival) check to learn a little more about the history of the map, if you'd like.

4) I would like someone to sort through the Old Troll's Hoard, figure out what you're keeping and what you're leaving, and figure out what's either going into the Company inventory and what individual people are keeping. This includes Orn's hammer, Leofwyn's saddle, Amdiran's bracer, and Prudence's copper figurine, the latter three having sentimental value to the Men of Rohan, the Dunedain, and the Men of Bree, respectively.

Lastly, for successfully deciphering the map, discovering the smoke-letters, and agreeing to join Tomas on the treasure hunt, everyone gains an additional 160 XP!

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

If you want me to add anything to my character's 'header', let me know.  I try to link my sheet in there somewhere... but I can't do it the way I used to do it at OGMW and it seems like I've only recently just given up and posted a plain character sheet link.

34 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

If you want me to add anything to my character's 'header', let me know.  I try to link my sheet in there somewhere... but I can't do it the way I used to do it at OGMW and it seems like I've only recently just given up and posted a plain character sheet link.

You're fine! I just meant for anyone else who does have stuff in their headers. You updated your character sheet, so that's enough for me.

I'll get the header updated. I was holding off, since I wasn't sure if we would actually "level up" before taking a long rest.

With this shorter fellowship phase, are there any activities which we wouldn't have time to do? I'm interested in having Amdiran reduce his Shadow points...

You won't have time to do anything that requires you to travel beyond the borders of Bree-land. Here's a semi-comprehensive list of Fellowship Phase undertakings you can consider:

• Spend time visiting the masters of leech-craft and other healing arts in the four towns, or with the Rangers of Girdley Island, to heal your wounds. (Recovery)
  • Turn to some craft, trade, or hobby to help you process the troubles of your heart. If you spend time in the quiet village of Combe, its melancholy nature will aid you in this endeavor. (Heal Corruption)
  • Earn the favor of one of the more influential members of Bree-land that you've met previously, such as Harry Talltree, Barnabas Butterbur, or Hallas Dunadan. (Meet Patron)
  • Be awarded by either the Men of Bree or the Rangers of Girdley Island with special privileges and honors, which also grant you some measure of authority within Bree-land. For helping Robin Hayward with the barrow-wight, and for overcoming the Old Troll, you would be entitled to such honor. This will additionally grant you a Holding, based on which Culture you choose. (Receive Title)
  • Visit the Schoolmistress in Bree, the loremasters among the Rangers, and Bregil to learn more about the black tablet that Fallfyre carries. Since Twinkletash will not be rejoining us for the foreseeable future, she will give it to one of you for safekeeping. (Research Lore)
  • Aid the Rangers of Girdley Island set up a place for them to dwell on the island. You will now be tasked with helping them open trails between Bree and the Brandywine to secretly transport building materials. (Build a Refuge)
  • Keep an eye out for interesting characters passing through Bree, perhaps ones you may have met before. Eraniel, Dancer, Tom Appledore, and so on. (Chance-meeting at the Inn)
  • Patrol the roads passing through Bree-land, though facing hardships due to the oncoming of winter. (Guard the East Road)
  • [AMDIRAN ONLY] Keep a watch on the borders of Bree and the Shire for trouble, driving off danger and guiding lost travelers to safety. (Guard Bree and the Shire).
  • Compose a message to a notable individual outside of Bree-land, such as Lady Sigrun of Baraz-dum, or the current leader of the Rangers (not yet Aragorn), or perhaps a lord or lady of the Elves. This can be done with the intent of meeting them after your treasure-hunt (to earn a new Patron), seek aid from them in some matter (such as hunting the Old Troll), or meet with them somewhere beyond their current place of residence. (Write a Letter)

Additionally, if there are any story beats you'd like to hit for your character, we can look into doing so!

@codexgigas If you choose the Build a Refuge undertaking, you will be rolling Survival this time. If you can convince one of the other PCs in your Company to help you, you'll gain Advantage on the roll. Success on the roll will also grant you Inspiration at the start of the next Adventuring phase, as well as anyone who helps you.

On 5/5/2023 at 1:32 PM, codexgigas said:

I'll get the header updated. I was holding off, since I wasn't sure if we would actually "level up" before taking a long rest.

At this point, the return journey will not prove eventful. Mechanically speaking, the next time you need to make a roll will be after your return to Bree.