General OOC

rogueblade0729

Woof, what a swing! That'll hit both Prudence and Léofwyn, but miss Orn. However, remember that both Léofwyn AND Orn have the Protection fighting styles. You can spend your Reaction to shield each other if you want, but doing so will also mean you cannot use your Reaction to make an opportunity attack against the Old Troll's movement, assuming you aren't sent flying across the cave. Up to you!

@Papa Bear So, just want to verify. On the Troll's last turn, you would've been able to use your Protection fighting style to help Leofwyn. Do you do that? If so, the club attack becomes a miss against her. You were not close enough to Prudence to help her, but you are now.

@grimlock Also, what is your Reaction? Are you making an opportunity attack against the Troll, or are you using your Protection fighting style to turn the hit against Prudence into a miss?

Yes, protect Léofwyn.  I didn't roll an opportunity so the reaction is available.  I'll try to remember to include it in my posts but he will likely never use a reaction for anything but protection of allies unless there are no allies around to protect.  (One of the reasons I wanted the huge shield... I know mechanically it doesn't matter, but it makes sense in my mind)

20 hours ago, rogueblade0729 said:

Awesome! Since Leofwyn protects Prudence, that means Advantage is canceled, so we take the first of the two rolls. That means the Old Troll missed Prudence, so you're back up at full HP, @Grendel!

I thank ye very kindly, Leofwyn!

Edited the narrative of my last post.

Edited by Grendel (see edit history)

@Grendel Quick note about crits. I think I remember ruling that we're doing double dice, as opposed to multiplying the result by two. That ALSO means you get to roll your Sneak Attack damage twice. So in total, for the crit, you're rolling 4d6 + Dex!

For the sake of momentum, I'll just accept what you've rolled already and move on, but keep that in mind for next time. 🙂

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

You've gotten the Old Troll on the back foot! Decide whether or not you will respect his offer of parley. Depending on the nature of your response, you may end up receiving a Shadow point. Refusing the parley itself is not enough to warrant Shadow, but if your response embodies a dark mood or intent that follows along with the Shadow Weaknesses, you may automatically gain 1 point as a Misdeed.

Excellent! At this point, we will be entering into an Audience with the Old Troll. You have fought him into a talking mood, and so he is willing to negotiate with you instead of fighting... for now.

@codexgigas If you are the spokesperson for the Company, please roll an Introduction check. You gain Advantage on the check if you use Traditions or Intimidation: the Old Troll recognizes you as a Ranger and knows your word is your bond, and thus you will respect the parley. Also, at this point you have both followed him into his lair and dealt quite a bit of damage to him, so you have his respect in a Might Makes Right sort of sense.

Happy to be the spokesperson, but would someone else want it? Amdiran has +4 to Traditions or Intimidation or +5 to Persuasion.

If someone else is the spokesperson, he can use his last Warden's Gift to give someone else +1d6 to their check.