The First Step

Ruess

Sister Elektra. Healer & Elementalist

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=9/9 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=3, Reflex=2, Will=5

At first Elektra stands silently, frozen in place behind cover while the trio strain their senses observing the room that minutes before was dangerously on fire.

It was well-known that sometimes fires would flash back to life and, thus, the charred remnants bore watching even hours after a blaze has been extinguished.

This, however, was something totally different.  Time seemed to drag as the Dwarven priestess focused her perception and unusual sensitivities on the chamber, and most particularly on the beams where the fire seemed to have been rooted.

Finally, after awhile and assuming nothing unusual has drawn the attention of the eclectic trio of companions, then and only then will the holy woman risk a whisper to her old friend.

Show Full Stats

Sister Elektra, the Elementalist - Female Dwarven Domain Cleric (Earth & Fire)

Level 1, Init 2, HP 9/9, DR 0, Speed 20 ft. 
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16

Fort 3, Ref 2, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 0

Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 11
Condition Healthy.

Weapons/Armor:  Morning Star  +2 (1d8+2, x2) -- Light Crossbow (20/20 bolts) +2 (1d8, 19-20/x2)

Club  +2 (1d6+2, x2) -- Dagger +2 (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)

Scale Mail, Heavy Wooden Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)

Resources:  Candles (10), Chalk (10), Marbles (2 lbs), Sunrods (2), Trail Rations (10), 1 SP, 3 CP

Divine Powers:  Destroy Undead (3 per day), Turn/Destroy Air Creatures (3 per day), Rebuke/Command Earth Creatures (3 per day), Turn/Destroy Water Creatures (3 per day), Rebuke/Command Fire Creatures (3 per day)

Spells:  0 Level:  Create Water, Detect Magic and Guidance --- 1st Level:  Bless, Burning Hands and Cause Fear

Show Mechanics

Free Action:  Whisper

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action:  Active Sensory Check from Hiding

Continuing Effects:  None

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

Sarai, Enchantress of the Veil

Veluna.jpg.f367ff00df46559b8526458567075889.jpgFemale   Gray Elf   Enchanter 1  

Init 6 | HP 5/5 | AC 11, Touch 11, FF 9 | Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 0

The two females, elf and dwarf, share a brief whispered conversation, scanning the room the whole time.  After a moment, Sarai steps up and casts a spell.

Show Stats

Sarai

Init 6 | HP 5/5 | BAB 0 | Speed 30'

AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 9

Fortitude 2, Reflex 2, Will 0

Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 14

Condition Healthy

Shortbow (20/20 arrows) +2 (1d6-2, x3)
Quarterstaff -2 (1d6-2/1d6-2, x2)
Dagger -2 (1d4-2, 19-20 x2)

Resources 
Parchment (5), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8), 5 gp, 8 sp

Prepared Spells
0 Level:  Daze x2, Message
1st Level:  Charm Person, Mage Armor, Power Word Pain, Sleep

Zila

Hummingbird FamiliarZila.jpg.18423c5e24e41dc1fb7d851aa88856a3.jpg

Init 2 | HP 2/2 | Speed 10'/40' Fly (Average)

AC 17, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15

Fortitude 2, Reflex 4 Will 2

Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: Speak

Swift Action: 

Move Action: Move as needed

Standard Action: Cast Detect MagicDetect Magic
Divination
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped emanation
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You detect magical auras. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round
Presence or absence of magical auras.

2nd Round
Number of different magical auras and the power of the most potent aura.

3rd Round
The strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + half caster level for a nonspell effect.)

Magical areas, multiple types of magic, or strong local magical emanations may distort or conceal weaker auras.

Aura Strength
An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning spell level or an item’s caster level. If an aura falls into more than one category, detect magic indicates the stronger of the two.

Spell or Object Aura Power
Faint Moderate Strong Overwhelming
Functioning spell (spell level) 3rd or lower 4th-6th 7th-9th 10th+ (deity-level)
Magic item (caster level) 5th or lower 6th-11th 12th-20th 21st+ (artifact)
Lingering Aura
A magical aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a magic item). If detect magic is cast and directed at such a location, the spell indicates an aura strength of dim (even weaker than a faint aura). How long the aura lingers at this dim level depends on its original power:

Original Strength Duration of Lingering Aura
Faint 1d6 rounds
Moderate 1d6 minutes
Strong 1d6×10 minutes
Overwhelming 1d6 days
Outsiders and elementals are not magical in themselves, but if they are summoned, the conjuration spell registers.

Each round, you can turn to detect magic in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Detect magic can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Skill Checks

Continuing Effects:  Detect Magic

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)
Name
Spellcraft
20; 22; 14; 24; 27; 11; 29; 24; 21; 13
1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9;1d20+9 [11]; [11,13]; [11,13,5]; [11,13,5,15]; [11,13,5,15,18]; [11,13,5,15,18,2]; [11,13,5,15,18,2,20]; [11,13,5,15,18,2,20,15]; [11,13,5,15,18,2,20,15,12]; [11,13,5,15,18,2,20,15,12,4]

CSI Magic Division - Please don't read unless you are detecting magics and rolling spellcrafts.

You see it.

Your eyes peel away the world of flesh and wood, and reveal to you the story that has been written by flame and smoke.

The hateful thing is what you seek out first and foremost, and so it is that with some effort you find it lingering. Its fire has faded, its spark has been extinguished, and the water magics that brough its demise draw greatly upon the lake of water still flowing upon the floortiles. You see the elements at war, fire and water. but the only question is how long it can hold, that hateful little ember. The answers eludes you, for the water is far too strong, but you can say with absolute certainty that the hateful fire has no chance, no hope at all. Less than a minute, you suppose. Were you a spiteful one, you could go out and step on it like some great conqueror before then grinding it into oblivion under your bootheel.

Curiously, from your position by the door, you are able to read the path the fire took. It arrived from somewhere in the middle, from... From the gaping pit that sit in the very middle of the tavern. It arrived with a fierce, explosive force that battered through a magically drawn ring of silver and blessed energies that served as a magical barrier. It was a powerful ring of magic indeed. You can see the ering is ruined entirely but the fire's works - and you would wager it is not a coincidence.

Smoke still lingers heavily as well but due to your efforts there will be no chance of the smoke acquiring any malign will of its own. The same will inevitably be the fate of what remains of the fire. 

It is Roy who answers, still holding the amulet in his hands to renew the raincloud over himself. The vision of a man standing in a self-made raincloud in a desert environment is rather funny. 

Roy

"Today, I was supposed to meet with some friends and Durnan in particular. We were planning on ventuiring down to scout the catacombs,image.png.05b8037471cd0ed6c060996ff6ce84ac.png and then to see if the way into the Undermountain remains barred. If things were bad, we would report it and begin our own efforts to keep the dead in their rest while experts... did something."

Roy pauses. You hear him groan as he adjusts his seated posture.

"I woke up in a room I rented, with the door barred on the other side and the lock jammed. The interior was on fire, Durnan was nowhere to be found. If not for you six, I don't expect that the tavern would be left."
 Here, Roy pauses yet again to clear his throat and to turn his helmet upwards to let rain in through the visor.

Rolf continues where Roy leaves off.

Rolf

"I was in a room opposite Roy's. I was here to meet with a spice trader from Tiign Trading Company. Supposedly he has aimage.jpeg.c743c745ba7e2fd7eda505e147f8e961.jpeg miracle spice I will want to buy for my ship. I woke up to my floor being on fire, and Roy bursting through the door. And then, when I got up, someone had smashed the large mirror in the room and left the pieces all over the floor. The trader is missing. Several people are, in fact. I'll have to see a healer to remove the damn glass bits. I don't even want to guess what those vultures will demand in pay."

Edited by Ruess (see edit history)

harlen.png.ef4976bceb300c7489eda46684eb78db.png

“And you, my good fellow?” Harlen says to Varon. “A man of few words, eh? Not that I object to such, you understand - I am quite happy to do the talking!”

Stat Block

Male True Neutral Human Sorcerer, Level 1

Init +0, HP 6/6, Speed 30
AC 10, Touch 10, Flat-footed 10, Saves Fort 1, Ref 0, Will 1 
ATK Shortspear (1d6, x2), Light crossbow (1d8, 19/20x2, 80') Base Attack Bonus +0
Abilities Str 7, Dex 11, Con 9, Int 15, Wis 9, Cha 16
Spell slots 5/5 cantrips, 4/4 1st level
Condition None

c07997165f0305bbf8f88abe532c588f.jpgEmery Escue - Warforged Crusader

AC 16, Touch 8, FF 18 | HP 14/14 | Init -2 | Fort 6, Reflex -2, Will 0

Fighting the fire seemed RIGHT to Emery, as if it was something he was meant to do. He puts all of his efforts into it, and is immensely satisfied when the fire is under control. He is brought to a moment of reverie when the bucket brigade comes, it seems like some things never change, and these people the sights, the sounds seem all too familiar. He takes a moment to take it all in, and he has never felt so alive. Still, his mission, and his duty to his Lord remain. PROTECT THE INNOCENT, enter the mountain, and stop the impending doom.

"Greetings, Comrades. Your tale is harrowing, and I am thankful to my Lord for your good fortune. I bring to you two questions.

Do we know where the origin of the fire is? And where are the missing? Did they flee, are they still trapped in some wreckage, or were they taken somewhere? The mirror? Or perhaps the Maw?

Active Stance: Iron Guard's Glare - -4 to hit Allies other than me 30ft radius

Sarai steps out from the front door of the tavern where she'd been having a quiet conversation with Elektra, and so had missed the introductions of the three newcomers.  She addresses Emery as she walks over to the group, speaking in the authoritative tone that one might use when well informed on the topic at hand.

In answer to your first question, the fire most certainly came up through the gaping hole in the floor.  A malevolent magic is at work, and it's possible some or all of the missing people were taken captive or destroyed.  What we need to ask is, where is Durnan? 

She looks over at the newcomers, then, her gaze seeming to linger a bit longer on the shady looking Varon.  Thank you for your efforts, gentlemen.  We've done a follow up inspection on the fire and it seems to be completely extinguished.  The inn is safe for now, but we need to find the proprietor.  I understand you had business here with him?  She directs the question at Roy.

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 
Parchment (5), Ink (1 vial), Sealing Wax (1 lb), Candles (10), Chalk (10), Twine (50'), Sparker (10), Trail Rations (8), 5 gp, 8 sp

Prepared Spells

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: 

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Continuing Effects: None

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=18, Touch=12, FF=16 / HP=9/9 / Init=2 / Saves: Fort=3, Reflex=2, Will=5

Elektra keeps silent but affirmatively nods from time to time as Sarai explains what she has learned from concentrating on her magical detection spell and spellcraft skills regarding the remnants of the fire in the tavern.

After whispering a response, the Dwarven Priestess of Earth and Fire holds up her hand when Sarai waves to Elektra for the Dwarf to follow her outside and shakes her head in the negative.

Instead, however, the minister remains inside the inn standing quietly behind cover in a position where she can keep her senses focused on the gaping hole in the middle of the inn's floor, as well as the rest of the room itself.  

However, this time that she hides and watches, the holy woman has her light crossbow out and a bolt with a razor-sharp iron tip loaded and held at the ready while she maintains her vigil, just in case worse comes to worse before the necessary protections can be restored.

Show Full Stats

Condition Healthy.

Weapons/Armor:  Morning Star  +2 (1d8+2, x2) -- Light Crossbow (20/20 bolts) +2 (1d8, 19-20/x2)

Resources:  Candles (10), Chalk (10), Marbles (2 lbs), Sunrods (2), Trail Rations (10), 1 SP, 3 CP

Divine Powers:  Destroy Undead (3 per day), Turn/Destroy Air Creatures (3 per day), Rebuke/Command Earth Creatures (3 per day), Turn/Destroy Water Creatures (3 per day), Rebuke/Command Fire Creatures (3 per day)

Spells:  0 Level:  Create Water, Detect Magic and Guidance --- 1st Level:  Bless, Burning Hands and Cause Fear

Show Mechanics

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Name
Perception
1d20+3 2

Macsen Mistwalker 

Macsen studies the two men as they tell their story, curious as to see if they were here for the same reason as 

"Sounds like fine hospitality offered here. Nice cold flagon of ale, tasty bit of meat and maybe some potatoes and whilst you are at it, board up my door and set it on fire. Only way I can sleep is nice firm mattress, dow feather duvet and the fear of death by burning."

Macsen takes another drag from his pipe studying the third man who has remained silent during the conversation so far. 

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 1 

AC: 17, HP: 7/7, Initiative7: +4, Perception: +7, Search: +7Stonecunning: If he moves within 10' of a stonework trap or hidden or secret door, then he makes a Search check to spot as if actively searching.

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

Noting that Elektra has never come out of the tavern. He listens as the others tell their stories and then start asking questions. He steps back into the tavern and looks around for her. He sees her behind the counter with her crossbow out and ready and watching the hole in the middle of the room intently. He steps to the side of the doorway into shadows and vanishes. He continues to listen to the other outside talk, but also joins in on watching the well.

Actions.Hides in the shadows and watches and listens for trouble.

Name
Stealth check if needed
1d20+12 6
Perception check
1d20+7 15

9 hours ago, snugglepooh said:

Veluna.jpg.f367ff00df46559b8526458567075889.jpg

"In answer to your first question, the fire most certainly came up through the gaping hole in the floor.  A malevolent magic is at work, and it's possible some or all of the missing people were taken captive or destroyed.  What we need to ask is, where is Durnan? "

She looks over at the newcomers, then, her gaze seeming to linger a bit longer on the shady looking Varon.  Thank you for your efforts, gentlemen.  We've done a follow up inspection on the fire and it seems to be completely extinguished.  The inn is safe for now, but we need to find the proprietor.  I understand you had business here with him?  She directs the question at Roy.

Emery defers to the woman's expertise.

"It is much as I feared, the source of the evil that has plagued my slumbers is the Undermountain, and this is a portal to that wickedness.

Where else would this Durnan be, if not here weeping for his beloved tavern. I fear the answers we seek are not without, but within."

Emery edges forward to get a glimpse at the Hellmaw0

Actions

Let's take a look into a gaping abyss.

Perception

Name
Perception
1d20+1 17

“And you, my good fellow?”

Varon

"Same as Roy," is what Varon answers to Harlen, speaking in a voice that is dark in tone but not actually menacing.VKAkopio.png.bf19c72a1221f9d9fa704ac6f179c6b2.png

"I awoke in a room. It was on fire. The mirror had been shattered. The door was barred and the lock destroyed." 

"Greetings, Comrades. Your tale is harrowing, and I am thankful to my Lord for your good fortune. I bring to you two questions.

Do we know where the origin of the fire is? And where are the missing? Did they flee, are they still trapped in some wreckage, or were they taken somewhere? The mirror? Or perhaps the Maw?

Roy

"Hail, fellow armor wearer" Roy begins answering to963102255_EcafRomra.png.7f45272667f150b2311cb214b3e84820.png Emery. "I'll know more after mages look everything offer and tell us what they find. Until that, I know enough that someone did it. and that a whole lot of people who should be here are not here. They can't havce vanished into thin air, so I suspect magic will be to blame."

Sarai's words give Roy pause, yet he nods and continues. "There you have it. Magic. I imagine someone wanted to burn down the tavern with us in it. And that they took several others. If you have business with Durnan I can only invite you to search for answers and ask that you share your findings. I'd like to see him alive and behind the bar. 

Roy pauses here for a breath. You can hear his breath wheezing under the helmet.

"As for the other two, I'm certain they safe are in the cold room. One is a nobleman and the other is... Rolf, what is she again?"

Rolf continues where Roy leaves off.

Rolf

"She's a poisonfusk lizardfolk. Her name is a full mouthful in its original Draconic. Translated, it means Sunrise. Sunrise and a lot of fancy things but she lets me call her Sunshine. She's my best customer and buys prawns by boxful.image.jpeg.c743c745ba7e2fd7eda505e147f8e961.jpeg

By the way, are you two friends touched in the head? Or is there some master plan here to be diving into a tavern full of smoke?"

Rolf indicates at Shade who is looking ready to go diving into the smoky interior of the tavern, and at  where a certain dwarf priestess used to be standing before she headed inside the damaged building.

"the fear of death by burning."

Roy and Rolf both give Macsen look. Roy has nothing to offer as an answer, but Rolf offers one:  "Stay off the loonweed, you'll die older. Or don't."

ShadeGaerbarradd (Shade) Whisper Gnome, Rogue 1 

AC: 17, HP: 7/7, Initiative7: +4, Perception: +7, Search: +7Stonecunning: If he moves within 10' of a stonework trap or hidden or secret door, then he makes a Search check to spot as if actively searching.

Str: 11 (+0), Dex: 18(+4), Con: 12 (+1), Int: 16 (+3), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha:13 (+1)

Shade gives a little laugh as Rolf asks if he is touched in the head. He turns a smile on him.

Obviously! While else would I leave my home and come here to try to unravel whatever is going on and causing these horrid dreams? Where is this cold room? If people are hiding there they would probably like to be told the danger has passed and they can come out.

He turns his attention to Elektra.

Elektra, did you hear something? Or are you just being overly cautious?

Actions.Hides in the shadows and watches and listens for trouble.

Elektra eyes are watering from the lingering smoke that is still visibly hanging in the air of the burnt tavern even though the fire had been extinguished and windows to the place previously opened by Sarai. 

As the fingers of thin gray smoke waft around the elemental Dwarven cleric, Elektra continues to watch the pit and chamber even as she attempts to fight back the urge to cough from behind her filter mask. 

Fortunately, between her strong constitution, the mask and Dwarves' natural immunity to toxins, the clean-shaven Dwarven priestess of Earth and Fire manages to resist the effect of the smoke as she resumes her watch, loaded light crossbow still in hand.

Show Full Stats

Condition Healthy.

Show Mechanics

FILTER MASK: A filter mask is a fine cloth mesh, usually of silk or cotton, that covers your mouth and nose. Cords or straps fasten the cloth around the back of your head to provide a good seal. A filter mask grants a +2 bonus on saves against gas-based effects. It negates the effects of suffocation from dust and sand, as well as the effects of supernatural or magic dust (such as slumber sand) for up to 4 hours. After this time, the mesh is clogged with grit and can no longer allow air to pass through freely. A clogged filter mask requires thorough laundering before it can be reused, but most travelers simply replace it with fresh fabric. (Sandstorm pg. 100).

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Name
Con Save Smoke
1d20+7 10
Perception
1d20+3 18

Smoke? Breathe? Ah, yes! The soft ones needed...respiration, and smoke caused their internal compressors to clog.

"I have no fear of smoke. What is this cold room you speak of? Others may be still trapped inside?!?!"

Or better still, where is the cold room?  Your friends might have some useful information.

Sarai had walked gracefully over to stand beside Emery, resting her hand gently on his arm.  Perhaps they could help lead us in the right direction, hmm?  She looked up at the towering warforged with a patient smile.

Show Stats

Sarai

Condition Healthy

Resources 

Prepared Spells

Zila

Condition Healthy

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: 

Swift Action: 

Move Action: 

Standard Action: 

Skill Checks

Continuing Effects: None