Basic Fantasy RPG

cailano

Hi everyone, I hope it's okay if I post in here. I'm just curious to hear about others' experiences with Basic Fantasy.

I'm a huge fan of BFRPG. I discovered the system a few years ago while perusing some forum or another, and when I saw that the print version of the game was only five bucks on Amazon, I ordered a copy.

I'd played older editions of D&D before, so I recognized the B/X vibe in Basic Fantasy. I was impressed by how clean that core book was. It was everything a GM would need to run a dungeon or hex-crawl campaign, and it was all right there! For five bucks!

I've played it quite a bit since then, mostly with my kids. I've toyed with the idea of running a full campaign with it, and I'm currently tinkering with an expanded Basic Fantasy that uses a lot of the community content and has more of an AD&D feel (and better thieves.)

Anyway, I'm excited to see this game here on the Weave, and I hope this campaign goes well. How about you guys? Have any of you played BFRPG before?

Hi friends.  I’ve not had pleasure of playing the system before, but am excited about our game!

I’ve been perusing the game’s website, and it’s clearly a labor of love.  Quite a trove of various PDF supplements available, and I see stuff that quickly takes it from just “basic” to something more like AD&D and other kinds of things.  So it’s got something for all-things OSR, I guess.

So yeah, good stuff.  Hope y’all are well today.

I had never heard of this system before this game advert. I've only recently gotten into the OSR scene. My first game in it was probably Mörk Borg, which isn't exactly OSR, but more OSR-inspired. From there I found a strange fascination with figuring out this old school stuff. I started my tabletop career with D&D 3.5 and an unremarkable dwarf Fighter named Merrick that wanted to "see the world" lol.

I'm excited to see what this system has to offer, as it's already different than DCC, Hyperborea, and I presume Old School Essentials. I am aiming to play some Barbarians of Lemuria as well as something I picked up randomly on sale called Space Dungeon (cause sometimes you need to rage in space).

When you both say BFRPG has supplements and community content, to what do you refer?

12 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I had never heard of this system before this game advert. I've only recently gotten into the OSR scene. My first game in it was probably Mörk Borg, which isn't exactly OSR, but more OSR-inspired. From there I found a strange fascination with figuring out this old school stuff. I started my tabletop career with D&D 3.5 and an unremarkable dwarf Fighter named Merrick that wanted to "see the world" lol.

I'm excited to see what this system has to offer, as it's already different than DCC, Hyperborea, and I presume Old School Essentials. I am aiming to play some Barbarians of Lemuria as well as something I picked up randomly on sale called Space Dungeon (cause sometimes you need to rage in space).

When you both say BFRPG has supplements and community content, to what do you refer?

It’s their own site, basicfantasy.org.

So, technically I haven't been accepted in the game yet. Gary hasn't even seen my post as far as I know. But here's my two copper pieces.

Never even knew about BFRPG before this morning. As usual when I see ads for systems I've never heard of, I follow the links and look into it. I was delighted to see that the system is made available free on the website, and to see how much material is available. Add in that it's such a simple, old-style system, and I have already gotten things moving in the back of my head about running my own games using it, which is probably typical of most gamers.

It also strikes me that it would be a great system to introduce someone to gaming. Simple but with enough detail and rules to ensnare.. er.. teach new players about how RPGs work. I made the mistake of trying to introduce my nephew to gaming using MERP.. Don't do that. Especially with a smart aleck that insists he's going to enslave a Dwarf village and force them to manufacture firearms.. in Middle Earth. sigh..

I didn’t have a chance to play BF before, but I have it on my shelf and have been (re)familiarising myself with it. In short, I really like this system and love what Chris and the others in the community have done with and for it.

I’ve played AD&D back in the day (though I’m not that old :)) and a few other OSR games, as well. I’m very excited for this particular game/campaign and looking forward to it very much! I am truly thankful I can be a part of it.

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

Hey, hey! How goes it, all? I wasn't sure what kind of interest I'd get on Myth Weavers with Basic Fantasy. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the response. 

I'm new to Basic Fantasy. This will be my first time playing it. That being said, I'm a long time D&D player. Have been playing since 1984. Started with Basic/Expert, moved to Advanced, then 2E. This is right up my alley. Love old-school D&D. Not a fan of 4E or 5E. Although, I do still enjoy playing 3.5. 

Currently I play Dungeon Crawl Classics (Mutant Crawl and Weird Frontiers, also. All the Goodman Games stuff), Old School Essentials, Index Card RPG, Tiny Dungeon, and EZD6. 

I'm also new to Myth Weavers. I'm currently running and/or playing games on Role Gate, Gamers Plane, and Tavern Keeper. I've heard good things about the Weave, so thought I'd give it a try. 

I play a lot of play-by-post. I love it. Also, I'm big into playing Solo RPGs. I do have a home game but can only play about once a month in person because of my work. I'm always on the road traveling. So, this fills the void and scratches the itch. 

We're glad to have you! I've been on the 'Weave since the late 00's under a different account (and then ANOTHER account; being trans can be tough) and I can say this community is absolutely amazing! I started out with Giant in the Playground, but MW just has a higher level of technical excellence that I frankly can't go without.

I've been really getting into OSR as well as solo, and am a programmer by trade (when I can actually maintain a job; being autistic can be tough) and I've been trying to create various web apps to let people play systems like this solo, quickly and easily. The key there is that it needs to focus on accessibility and ease of use. It's slow going, but I've got a random dungeon creator (with themes!) running for Mörk Borg. Being on Baldr is helping me scrap the rust off my HTML design. One of these days I'll release some of this stuff for the 'Weave to enjoy because SOMEONE should be enjoying it other than me!

Ah, yes! How did I forget Mörk Borg? That's the current system I'm using for my solo game. That random dungeon creater sounds interesting. I have this giant 3-ring binder full of "dungeon rooms" I put together that I roll on to randomly generate dungeons. Kinda of Four Against Darkness like. Have another one for hex crawls. Have put together d100 tables for traps, treasures, monsters, npc's, random encounters, weather, magic items, story hooks, side quests, etc. Creating all this stuff is almost as fun as actually playing with it.

Still haven't played Mork Borg, but I have a big indie OSR collection. Lesee... Advanced Labyrinth Lord, OSE, Basic Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Sharp Swords and Sinister Spells, Castles and Crusades, Dark Dungeons, Swords and Wizardry, Stars Without Number, Worlds Without Number, and quite a few megadungeons. Haven't played half of them, but that's not the point, is it?

Hey, just to let everyone know, I've gone ahead and closed out the application period. Everyone that submitted a character has been accepted. I've sent invites to everyone, so if you applied and didn't get one let me know. Once everyone has accepted their invites, I'll give the characters a final look over. As it stands we have a party of six.

I appreciate everyone's interest in the game. I wasn't expecting it. I'm pleasantly surprised! I'm very much looking forward to running this adventure and playing Basic Fantasy RPG with you all.

I still have a few things to get done before we start. If no objections, I'm going to shoot for starting the game by next weekend. That's the weekend of the 3rd thru 5th. That will give me plenty of time to finish getting things set up (with this game) and tie up some loose ends (with some other things I've got going on). 

This should be fun! Good times ahead!