Basic Fantasy RPG

cailano

LOL! @cailano That's funny you mention it; on OGMW about, oh, 6 months ago there was a planning thread going on and on about doing a game in that style. Mainly it was to see if it could be done (and done well), but also as a point of avoiding all the needless chaff that ends up in most people's posts (no offense meant, I'm not targeting folk). Stuff like emotions or thoughts that aren't blatantly obvious; She looked upon him with a sadness, wishing he knew how she felt, but alas, he would never know. Allie was cursed to live alone, or so it seemed... ETC. Stuff like that that, while it seems nice to read, isn't really available knowledge to anyone within the scene.

It was a cool idea, but I never felt confident enough in my ability to make it come to fruition. Maybe now I could. I dunno, would kind of be a neat experiment at the very least!

You should end up with the most purely distilled version of a gaming experience that way. Heck, you'd be writing the blueprints to have it animated or acted out.

Showing emotions would be an interesting challenge. You'd have to use more actor cues in the writing than normal. It would still end up being pretty lean, though.

As you've probably noticed in Sailors on the Starless Sea, I enjoy writing descriptions, so maybe I should be careful what ideas I throw out there!

I've never been much of a writer until I got into PbP. Now I rather enjoy it, although I'm by no means "a writer." I'm better now than I was a year ago, when I first started. That's not saying much though. 🤪 

One problem with being a fan of old sword and sorcery novels is that they aren't always the best examples of lean prose. Unfortunately, that prose still sticks in my head and the adjectives just end up in my posts somehow.

Will mortality be handled as RAW or there’s a chance we’ll get some leeway? This is one of my better characters, it’d be a shame to lose him so soon. 🙂 Or, be prepared for the Attack of the Clones!

(just kidding, for the last part)

10 hours ago, eltorin said:

Will mortality be handled as RAW or there’s a chance we’ll get some leeway? This is one of my better characters, it’d be a shame to lose him so soon. 🙂 Or, be prepared for the Attack of the Clones!

(just kidding, for the last part)

We'll, what kind of game do y'all want? A more deadly game or one a little less so?

Options:

1. Dead at 0 HP. No if, and, or buts about it. Just dead. 

2. At 0 HP character is unconscious and bleeding out. Make a save vs. Death Ray. If failed the character is dead. Period. End of story. If save is made, roll 2d10. Character stays alive for that many rounds (although unconscious and dying). If wounds are bound within that time the character is stabilized at 0 HP. It takes a full week of rest for a character to get back 1 HP. If healing magic is used, HP are restored to whatever is rolled on the healing die roll.

3. At 0 HP the character is unconscious. At the end of each following round, the character loses an additional HP. Once the negative number of the characters CON score is reached the character dies. Unless, of course, wounds are bound or healing magic is used. Character can't fight or cast magic, and can't walk more than a few feet without help until HP are back above 0.

I'm good with any of these. I'll let y'all decide...

I'd prefer 2 I guess, unless we're talking about a crit that literally cleaves your head off or something with a ridiculous amount of damage that leaves your body ruined.

3 does feel like it takes the bite away, but 1 feels a little too... I dunno "Oh god oh god run away!!!!"?