Basic Fantasy RPG

cailano

I saw it on Sunday. I enjoyed it as well. Nice heist element. Neat use of magic. Very cool to see some of the iconic D&D creatures on screen. I was underwhelmed by the main antagonist. Not enough to ruin the experience overall.

The official premiere will be on next Thursday at us, but they started showing it today, so I said 'why not?'. I probably enjoyed it so much because I didn't have high expectations but it worked out alright.

I didn't have major issues with the main antagonist, only a minor quip that I would've wished to see more of the surrounding culture (and I did everything I could to avoid any spoilers in this statement :)).

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

22 hours ago, cailano said:

That sounds like wisdom to me! I gave up on network TV a long time ago. Unless you follow sports, it's pretty useless. Streaming TV series can be interesting, though. They don't follow the normal seven-act structure for TV writing at all. They're more like movies crossed with a TV mini-series. These days if I want to see a film adaptation of a favorite book, I find myself hoping that Netflix or HBO will pick it up as a series. Not Prime, though. After the tragedies of the Wheel of Time and Rings of Power, I don't want them touching anything.

Funny you mention sports. I live in South Bend; the same place where the University of Notre Dame sits. Yes, that Notre Dame. I can't stand how much time my station devotes to covering them. Like, I'm sorry, but sports isn't news unless a crime happened! Otherwise it's no different than the new trending celebrity news or Tiktok dance or whatever (another piece of social media I avoid like the plague).

Oh, and I refuse to watch the Rings of Power because just from the little bits I know of it, it's atrocious writing and choreography.

16 hours ago, eltorin said:

I just went to see the D&D movie and it was actually fun, I enjoyed it. :)

Haven't seen it. Don't know that I will. I have a bad habit of intensely criticizing writing and plots, looking for intentional holes. My brain can't "turn off to have a good time." If I have to not think about a movie to enjoy it, why am I even watching it?

3 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

@guitarist I also wanted to say that I am LOVING your portrayal of Gray! Very fun character 🙂 I only hope Gemlia can be as fun one day.

Thank you my friend!  Gray is a pleasure, I enjoy going in with the quixotic-knight types.  My favorite trope.  I hope I can keep it entertaining and interesting (hopefully not too over the top).  🙂

12 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I have a bad habit of intensely criticizing writing and plots, looking for intentional holes. 

Uh oh! I hope this doesn't apply to the writing of a certain GM! I may be in trouble! 🙂

On 3/24/2023 at 7:56 AM, Malkavian Grin said:

If I have to not think about a movie to enjoy it, why am I even watching it?

Because then you can enjoy fun 80s and 90s movies like The Terminator and Total Recall. You can even watch real dogs like Krull and Hawk the Slayer when you reach true brain-quieting enlightenment. These are no mean tasks! To this day, I have never managed to watch Hawk the Slayer all the way through.

3 hours ago, eltorin said:

I really like how you keep a separate NPC topic available for us, it’s really helpful, thank you, @GaryD20 !

Yeah, I thought it would be helpful and convenient to have. If there's anything else ya'll would maybe like to see let me know. I'm open to suggestions. Also, if I haven't said already, I'm going to be tracking time and resources. So, keep track of monies spent, torches, arrows, what have you. 

20 minutes ago, GaryD20 said:

Okay, dumb question... How are you guys creating your posts? I'm specifically talking about the ones that have the fancy border boxes around their text. How's that being done?

How to Do a Fancy Fieldset

In the toolbar at top of your post/second row, it’s the second button on the left in the middle group of buttons, the box with the S in it.