Basic Fantasy RPG

cailano

My apologies if I'm confusing anyone. I'm just trying to give you all some options to choose from. I don't want you thinking that you have to go one place or the other. This is a totally open setting. You are here seeking fame and fortune. How you go about it is up to you. I don't want to steer you in any one direction. This is your world. You're in control. Have at it. I mean, unless you want me to railroad you??

8 minutes ago, GaryD20 said:

My apologies if I'm confusing anyone. I'm just trying to give you all some options to choose from. I don't want you thinking that you have to go one place or the other. This is a totally open setting. You are here seeking fame and fortune. How you go about it is up to you. I don't want to steer you in any one direction. This is your world. You're in control. Have at it. I mean, unless you want me to railroad you??

The sandbox reads! I like it. We are a little scattered right now, but I bet we'll come together soon.

For now, it seems I may be the only one with a certain sense of direction..Hearing various rumours about the Fortress --> arriving/settling in town --> finding a relevant NPC, gathering information from him --> going to the Fortress --> death  || profit. 😄 

1 hour ago, eltorin said:

For now, it seems I may be the only one with a certain sense of direction..Hearing various rumours about the Fortress --> arriving/settling in town --> finding a relevant NPC, gathering information from him --> going to the Fortress --> death  || profit. 😄 

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I've tried to drop other ideas and paths you can take other than just showing up and heading straight for the fortress.  But it's like you say... opening scene, y'all show up, hear a buncha rumors, meet a few relevant NPC's to gleam information from, decide what direction to take. 

Guess I could have done something like: y'all arrive at Morgansfort seeking fame and fortune. After a few days spent at the local tavern you hear of an abandoned fort rumored to be full of treasure. You find yourself now at the entrance to the Olde Island Fortress. 

To me it's just more interesting to have you interact more with the world around you and let you do what you want to do, go where you want to go.

Also, the Western Lands is a campaign, not a one shot. The Fortress is just one of three main storylines / "dungeons". Lots to do and explore. I think things will smooth out once you get settled in. 

2 hours ago, GaryD20 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I've tried to drop other ideas and paths you can take other than just showing up and heading straight for the fortress.  But it's like you say... opening scene, y'all show up, hear a buncha rumors, meet a few relevant NPC's to gleam information from, decide what direction to take. 

Guess I could have done something like: y'all arrive at Morgansfort seeking fame and fortune. After a few days spent at the local tavern you hear of an abandoned fort rumored to be full of treasure. You find yourself now at the entrance to the Olde Island Fortress. 

To me it's just more interesting to have you interact more with the world around you and let you do what you want to do, go where you want to go.

Also, the Western Lands is a campaign, not a one shot. The Fortress is just one of three main storylines / "dungeons". Lots to do and explore. I think things will smooth out once you get settled in. 

I didn't want to be misleading, so if I was, please excuse me - what I wanted to convey is that I like the setup and particularly enjoy how we started and where we are with Mort at the moment, have no complaints and all, and don't really feel I don't have my place (while I actually do enjoy a healthy amount of railroading). 🙂 

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

No, please, no railroad needed. I'm just trying to do this naturally. I suppose there's a balance to be struck between natural and boring though. That's why I had Gemlia start asking the guards some questions.

I'm all for the sandbox style. We just need to get some direction from our surroundings. I'm not chomping at the bit for them, though.

It does seem like some of the details are getting lost between the cracks in our posts, though. I'm going to aim for shorter, punchier posts.

Was Kharn's post punchy enough? LOL. With an Intelligence of 9 and a Charisma of 6, he's not one for subtlety.

I think the opening is going well. When I'm GMing, I usually go with the "you're at the dungeon door" strategy, but in PbP, even a small dungeon can take a month to play out. That's a long time before getting any significant interaction between the PCs and the setting. If Morgansfort is the central hub for the campaign, I can see the value in letting the PCs settle in and get to know it a little before heading off. It's all tradeoffs!

I’m sorry, but, with all due respect, I don’t know what some of you are taking about.

Since we started, I’ve taken quite a bit of time, posting Gray interacting with numerous PC’s and NPC’s.  I’ve actively tried getting him conscripted in the army, and on patrol, both times either rebuffed for it or told he’d hear back about it. 

I’ll get back to posting when I can.  Sorry to rant, tough week kinda, and my immersion just isn’t what it once was.  Hope I can get my momentum back shortly.

@guitarist My apologies, it was not my intent to confuse, disparage, or berate you, or your character's choices. Ranting is healthy, don't worry about it. We all do it from time to time. It let's us know something needs attended.

As far as interactions go, my rebuff was perhaps a little meta in topic. To me, it sounded like Gray was just trying to get hired with an NPC's job. That doesn't sound like how you get adventuring. Perhaps I could've said it differently. As this is a sandbox sort of environment, I figured we need some details. Hit people up in bars or on the street or even the guards. But I also figured that would wait until we'd at least slept a night so we could "get our bearings" as it were. Maybe I just don't have a ton of experience with sandbox environments...

I do hope you get your muse again; Gray was quite fun to read.