Basic Fantasy RPG

cailano

Yeah, I'm not autistic or anything, but I am pretty much a loner. Although, I did go to JeffCon back in November and had a great time. I'm thinking about giving this MW Meetup a shot, but I'm in  North Carolina, so is quite a drive for me. Trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. 

I’ve never been. I’m out in California so it’s a bit far for me. I’d love to attend some of the big conventions for the OSR crowd like Gary Con or North Texas, but the possibility of me convincing the wife that I need to be gone for a week to go play lots of D&D is remote at best. 

I'm noticing a bit of a trend between Weavers. People seem to mainly fall in one of two camps: Either you have a family and kids and in-person gaming groups, or you are more of a lone wolf that seeks online companionship over anything else. There are exceptions, to be sure, but I'm noticing this split in this game (but perhaps that's more to do with us discussing it directly, which usually is never the case in OOC chats).

I have a family and kids, but no in-person gaming group (other than the kids, which is fun but not the same).

And so, I shall volunteer to be a bridge between our two factions. Let us all be brothers and sisters in geekdom.

We used to have cons here in South Bend, like 15 or 20 years ago during my tail end of college. That all dried up and now I'd have to drive about an hour to get to one. I like cons, but as I get older I find I'm perfectly fine without all the interactions. I don't really like people 😛

Last con I went to was one down in Fort Wayne where I was the only person to sign up for a My Little Pony game (hey I'm trans leave me alone LMAO). All of like 15 tables of games or something. 20 vendors. Really dinky-doo.

I have an in-person game, but it's kinda lacking. Just me and my cousin. We play a lot of boardgames also. Trying to get a VTT game going. Have several people interested supposedly, but so far haven't been able to get them to actually play yet. Most of my RPGing is play-by-post and solo. Love them both. PbP and solo are my preferred way of playing though. PbP just scratches a certain kind of itch for me. You can really develope a story and characters in ways that aren't possible in an in-person game. Like Malkavian, I'm not much of a people person. Not anti-social or anything, just very introverted. Spend most of my time inside of my head so that makes solo gaming a perfect fit also.

53 minutes ago, cailano said:

PbP is good for writers and readers. If you’ve got a group willing to put a little effort into their posts, it can be a great way to play.

I agree. I get the feeling we have that kind of group here. Judging from the incredible backstories I've read!