Death-Duel with the Destroyers! Issue #1: Apocalypse NOW!

image.jpeg.479470b945d4bdd174f3e4ff37237ccc.jpegJinn laughed as the policeman spoke. "I was about to ask -you-, you're the actual detective. I just work here."

Whomever this is, they're an effective combo, people are less inclined to look carefully at things when the weather is terrible."

Looking around at everyone else, she continued: "I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of this. So, I think you should all have my phone number. If you really need me, you can call.

Jinn proceeds to give her number to the other assembled heroes, including Detective Klopp, but she chooses not to disturb Champion while he's talking to everyone.

Even with her mask and hair color change, Nikki keeps her hair in her face and tries to disguise her voice. "Somebody wanted to incite panic. No clue who. Villains don't tend to pre-advertise their powers. So not one of the usual suspects."

9:26 a.m. downtown SF

Klopp.png.c5926dd47eae51992fac19cfe61e0d91.png

The detective nods and takes Jinn's info, then looks around the block, "Well if you guys find out anything else, even if it seems like nothing, let me know, okay?" Klopp digs his cards out of a pocket and hands one to each hero, "According to Coast Guard reports, both the storm and that giant thing originated from the Pacific. We've dispatched units to check out the coastal region but, I'm not expecting a search to turn up much. As usual, the city appreciates your cooperation ..." The detective nods at the heroes and walks to meet with the other officers ...

The block begins to clear as vehicles resume driving through and many of the civilians leave the area, along with Champion who vanishes in a flash of light! The heroes are left to themselves with only a few bystanders watching them from a distance ...

Kelpie tilted his head on one side as he took first Jinn's card and then Detective Klopp's, tucking them away into a waterproof pocket on his wetsuit.  He didn't actually own a phone.

He had been planning on trying to talk to Champion once the crowds cleared a bit to ask about the meteor shower, because that seemed like yet another thing conveniently happening at the same time...but then Champion just kinda vanished, which rather put paid to that idea.  So instead he just looked around to the other heroes. "There were still boats and swimmers in danger when that shadow appeared.  Hopefully the Coastguard got to them, but I want to make sure, so...if you need me, I'll be in the ocean." He paused for a moment and added, deadpan, "Maybe I should get a business card too. 'Kelpie. To contact, please look in the ocean.'"

And so saying, once the area was clear enough that he could take off without blasting anyone with the high-pressure water his flight generated, he did so, heading back to the coastguard to check what the progress was on the assorted rescue missions that he'd had to leave behind when the illusion had descended.

Invulnerable

Invulnerable takes Klopp's card and thanks him again. "Will do, Detective, thank you."spacer.png He takes Jinn's, as well, with a nod.

As he hears Kelpie saying goodbye, "Alright, it was good to have you here. I guess we'll see you around." Then turns to Jinn and Nikki. "Well, it seems it's just us, then. Any ideas what to check out, or we should depart, as well? It seems calm now, but I can't shake the feeling that something or someone is watching us..this was just a warning and we need to be ready. But right now, I'm not sure there's a clue we could follow."

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

image.jpeg.479470b945d4bdd174f3e4ff37237ccc.jpeg“Then it seems like the thing to do is make sure we’re ready. I’m going to catch up on things at work, and then I’ll see about the laundry. One less thing, right?”

With that, Jinn ran off, leaving a trail of flickering flame behind her.

Invulnerable

To Jinn, Invulnerable says, "Alright, I guess we'll see each other again, take care!" To the question if he has a phone, though.."Umm, well..sorry, I don't, I left in a hurry without it. I have a nifty hidden pocket, though, so if you have a card or can write it down. If neither, I'm going to have to remember it.", says, smiling.spacer.png

When he's the only one left on the scene, Invulnerable decides that lingering on will bear no fruit, so he takes off and quickly flies back to Baxton, conveniently looking for the same window he left through. If all goes well, he heads to the ... he left his backpack in, changes his clothes and checks his phone to save all the new phone numbers he received. As presumed, James finds a text from Roger but as he checked in via Nikki's phone a bit earlier, he believes he's in the clear.

He casually trots down the stairs, back to his office, and checks back his boss. "Hey, Roger, I'm back. Sorry about disappearing like that, I had an early lunch scheduled, but my date also got stuck in traffic." "Date, as in..?" "Nonono, nothing like that, don't even start!", says laughing, then sits at his desk.

"Whoa, what a busy morning..speaking of which, I better make this call..", then he already finds his phone in his hand, waiting for the other end to pick up. "Hey, sorry about the early call..no, I'm alright, but are you? Yeah, it was crazy out there, I'll tell you later, if you want, but is Casey okay..?" This goes on for a while, and when he hears his daughter was safe at the school all along, he feels a great sense of relief. His relationship with his ex-wife may be strained, but his daughter is the most important thing fro him through and through.

Invulnerable

The rest of the day flowed rather typically for James at the office, mostly with preparations for a new project but nothing out of spacer.pngthe ordinary.

During his phone call with Jessica, his ex-wife he managed to "sneak in" a surprise visit, so when he finished work some time after 5PM, went straight to see his daughter. Casey was truly happy to see his father and okay, but a little shaken up due to the events during the day but she and her classmates were rather safe all along the school building, though James was sure that the "Shadow man", as Casey dubbed the apparition, will surely cause some nightmares for her. He was only sorry to be away from her during the night, but couldn't stress it enough that he will never let anything happen to her, be it a gigantic shadow or else.

Jessica - probably also due everything that went down during the day - was more lenient than usual, she even offered a dinner to James, so he  gladly took up on the offer and joined them, just like old times. After dinner, while Casey went to work on her homework, he told her what really went down. Despite everything between them, Jessica was and always will be a confidante to him and felt good for James to just let go and share his perspective of the events. He even told her about the great new heroes he got to meet, expressing hope to see them again. Traumatic events do help making certain bonds, apparently.

The night finds him there, playing a board game with his daughter, after she finished up on said homework.

spacer.pngValérie eventually made it home, despite the traffic. Back to work, Valérie. 

It was good that she had long experience with ledgers and reports. While not quite an automatic process, the patterns were often familiar, so part of her brain could simmer other ideas in the background. 

Why? What was the point of all of that? Usually terror attacks have a cause…a manifesto…

She set her pencil down, and pinched the bridge of her nose. Of course, that was what we were supposed to see. Like a good stage magician, the real trick was in the other hand. 

Valérie switched tabs on her laptop, and pulled up the Chronicle. She started looking for what -else- had happened during the storm. 

Nikki arrives back at school, changes back to her self and heads to class..... late as usual. Luckily they don't take roll at university and she could con one of the guys in class to share notes.

8:00 p.m., San Francisco

spacer.png

As the sun's glow surrenders the sky to nightfall, the city's streets are jam-packed as usual even as citizens continue to remove 'displaced' trash debris. Many citizens are out on the sidewalks pointing to the sky and recalling where they were when the storm-of-the-century blasted the Bay. The Knights were a home-favorite tonight and the lack of parking anywhere nearby the stadium was ample proof. Fisherman's Wharf was hosting "Family Night" showcasing new attractions and dramatic price discounts which brought out the crowds, whether local or tourist. San Francisco was, as usual, illuminated by its myriad of things to see and do. It was almost as if the city had already forgotten the day's darkness ....

.... then again, the sounds of terror ...! Cellphones began blaring the monotone emergency alert just as the city-wide emergency warning system began to echo everywhere! People all over the city simply froze.

But unlike this morning, no storm crashed inland from the sea. This time screens flickered - smartphones, TVs, computer monitors, digital billboards - as national news correspondents appeared to the city:

spacer.png

"This is a GNN breaking news livestream!  Just minutes ago a video was delivered here to the GNN News headquarters, from a person or group that claims responsibility for the storm that caused such havoc in Northwest California earlier today. We’re going to show this video for you as soon as we get it set up, so we will be seeing this for the first time just as you do, in the next few minutes. While we’re waiting for the tape to run, let’s go over once again, the chain of events that . . . excuse me for one moment . . all right … I understand that the video is ready to run. I don’t understand exactly what we are about to see now, other than it’s supposed to be a statement of demands from the group that claims responsibility for the devastating storm that raged across the Bay Area this morning. Here’s the footage ---"

Shade.png.9a8614ebe46f7b8e9b24fbdacb4a9900.png

"I am Doctor Apocalypse! I am the author of the tempest that shook the Bay Area in its terrible gauntlet! These are my demands - I suggest that you heed them: In nine days, the Congress of the United States of America will pass a resolution declaring that the city of San Francisco shall be a separate and sovereign state, independent from the United States and deeded wholly and completely over to myself. No later than the following day, the President of the United States will sign that resolution into law. In addition, the President will have drafted by that time, and be prepared to sign, a treaty of non-interference with the new state, and with me as its absolute monarch. Within three days following this, the government of the State of California will ratify this law and will initiate procedures to evacuate the city of San Francisco. No later than thirty days after the law is ratified by the California legislature, San Francisco shall be completely evacuated of all of its current residents. Anyone remaining will be executed! If these demands are not met, in strict adherence to the schedule I have stated, I shall destroy a major city of the United States! I will continue to do this every day that you fail to comply with my demands. Do not think for a moment that your military or your technology can protect you from me. I am your technological superior. I can defeat you strategically; I can crush you psychically; I can destroy you supernaturally! If you are wise men, then you will let the evidence that I have already shown you be enough; you will let the disasters that have already occurred be the last. To underestimate me would be a terrible mistake!"

"Unfortunately, I do not believe that you are wise men. I believe that most of you will be foolishly skeptical of my powers. For you, I have arranged for there to be one additional demonstration of my abilities. You have tasted my supernatural power; tomorrow I will show you something of my technological might. This demonstration will take place at noon tomorrow in the center of downtown San Francisco! You may respond to this situation as you see fit. You will not hear from me again --- unless you disappoint me."

The screen goes blank momentarily before the GNN news anchor returns and begins reviewing the words of this 'Dr. Apocalypse' with a company of reporters and news pundits! Meanwhile throughout the city a sickening soul-numbing panic begins to grow out of control ---!

Invulnerable

While James was playing a fun board game with his daughter, the screen started to flicker, then the broadcast started. spacer.pngWhen he saw that dreadful form again, a shiver came to him involuntarily. "I need to make some calls."

Then takes his "work" phone and moves to a different room, to call each numbers he received today, sayingsomething like this to any of them: "Hey, it's the guy in blue you met today, have you seen the news? Yeah, I couldn't have missed it..sounds bad. I think it would be the best if we met up to talk things over, any ideas where we could all hang out privately?"

He wants to organize a meeting with the heroes who met "Dr. Apocalypse" first hand. He may have a few ideas how to move on but it would be best not to do them alone.

blah blah blah.... king of SF... blah blah blah.... Superior tech... blah blah blah... small penis.... blah blah blah... overcompensating... blah blah Nikki hits the mute button over the objections of others in the dorm common room. "What? You all have Twitter go crawl into the caves you call rooms if you want to be spoon fed bullshit."

Answering her phone, "Little boy blue, sup?..... Agreed..... I vote Pica Pica Maize Kitchen, I'm in the mood for arepas."

Edited by Civit (see edit history)

A moment later, Valérie’s phone rang. “Hello?”

“Yes, it’s been all over the news.”

“I can join you there. This doesn’t make any sense. Let’s talk.”

She hung up the phone, and was glad she had at least stopped for produce. Her roommate wasn’t home yet, so she wrote a quick note. I’m sorry you had a hard day, I’m sure the kids were glad you were there. 

Then, she headed out to join the others. Arepas, huh?