Searching for Shipwrecks [IC]

image.jpeg.5fe8222e1c9f71cea63402bf832aa6d6.jpegBarlo Hawkins nodded greetings as a couple of more men joined them, "Please join us as we talk about this venture. My name is Barlo Hawkins, a traveling lyricist and adventurer. I am a fair person of gathering information and rumors."

"If we are to go into business together, then we best have some more introductions and talk about what each brings to the group. It would be prudent to ensure we have all the skills and supplies needed, yes?"

"... And I am curious about your arm in a sling?" he asked Arradon.

Edited by Paro (see edit history)

spacer.png

Casimir Ivaldisson, human priest and shipwright

Casimir looks around the group, waiting for someone other than him to speak first, as it is not in his nature. With everyone seemingly waiting on each other, he decides to take the plunge and introduce himself to the others.

"I am Casimir, Casimir Ivaldisson, and I am a priest of the Stormlords. I work at the shipyards here in Venza, where I provide my services to the builders of ships, and those who sail on them... and on occasion, to the ships themselves.", he declares, raising his trusted mallet for emphasis. "I am skilled in the healing arts, as well as the building and maintenance of ships, their tales, their histories... This particular tale of lost ships interests me. What else can you tell me about them?" It is clear he is far more interested in the ships themselves, than in the prospects of any immediate financial reward.

Actions

Free action:
Move action:
Standard action:

Mini stats

Character sheet

Casimir Ivaldisson
Male NG Human Cleric, Level 2, Init 1, HP 18/18, Speed 30 ft
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +7, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus +1  
Light crossbow (20 bolts)  +2 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
MW Mallet (Warhammer) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
Dagger +3M/+2R (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
MW Lamellar armour, MW Buckler
Abilities:
Str 14, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 8
Condition: None

Name
Knowledge (History) to learn more about these ships
1d20+5 6

spacer.png

Waiting for Casimir to finishes,  Azgar stands up and announces. "I'm Azgar.   A part-time actor  - my most recent performance was as the lead actor in a production for the kobold king of Venza.   However, my full-time job is aggressive problem solving.       This what I bring "      Flexing his muscles.   He shows his strength.  "I'm good in fight.   I hit and hit hard".     

"GAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR" he screams a war cry everyone.   I'm good at scaring people.     Then he leans towards everyone and whispers.   "I also talk to the spirits.  Spirits that will help your weapons hit harder.   You just need to join me in a simple daily ceremony to get their blessing.   Orcish shamanic tattoos can be seen on his arms and his neck that give some credibility to this claim.   

"I also know a little bit of magic and smattering of skills"  he adds as he sits down

AZGAR  AC19 TAC12 FAC17 HP28/28  Init+4 F+8 R+6 W+5  Perc+6 Diplo+5 Intim+12  Falcata +8 1d8+8 19-20x3 (+2hit &dmg vs undead) Everyone: +2 wpn dmg

Arradon Delgaran, Harran Renegade

spacer.png

Arradon listened as the man called Casimir described his fascination with ships. Seems a fitting task for him. He'd never been a particularly devout himself, but Arradon knew from experience that only a fool denied the power of the gods.

He was listening to Azgar politely but without particular intrest when the half-orc let out a loud war cry. Arradon warily eyed the crowd at the Dunn Wright. He was not looking to draw undue attention, quite the opposite. He'll be easy to hide around, seems he doesn't mind all the attention, works for me. Arradon found being unseen was often less a matter of hiding and more a matter of not being whatever was drawing the most attention.

Taking advantage in the silence after the half-orc finished, he spoke softly with the slightest hint of a lilt, a characteristic of those who hailed from the Harran. "My name is Arradon. My skills are best used when more... subtle methods are needed." With a flourish a dagger appeared in his good hand before disappearing just as quickly with a mechanical whir. "I used to be a... scout." He gives a small grin as if he finds the whole conversation amusing.

"As for my arm." He gestures to his sling-bound arm. "An unfortunate incident in the Planks last night. A few... amateurs bit off more than they could chew, yet I was still a tad careless. Regardless, I am certain my skill should prove more than sufficient for this task." 

Mini-Stats

Arradon Delgaran
Initiative: +5 Perception: +8, Move 30ft
AC: 17 (13 Flat-Footed, 15 Touch) (+1 Dodge Bonus vs Light Blades)
HP: 26 Current: 26
CMB: +2 CMD: 17
Fort: +2 Reflex: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs. Enchantment, Immunity to Sleep)
Conditions in Effect: None

Current Weapon in Main Hand: Masterwork Dagger (+7, 1d4+4, 19-20/x2)

Current Weapon in Off Hand: None

Features:

• Evasion
  • Sneak Stab (+2d8)

Actions

Move: 

Standard:

Swift:

Free:

spacer.pngLothar Gunther Bucheim

Character Profile

Male Neutral Half Orc Fighter 2 / Warpriest 1, Level 3, Init 2, HP 18/18, Speed 20'
AC 20, Touch 12, Flat-footed 18, CMD 18, Fort 8,

Ref 4, Will 5, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2   
MW, Silversheen Reach, Trip, Cord Horse Chopper  +8 (+7 Power Attack) (1d10+6 (+9), x3) Weapon Cord
Chakrams (2) +3 (1d8+4, x2)
Warhammer  +5 (+4 Power Attack) (1d8+4 (+6), x3)
Magic +1 Agile Breastplate + Kilt (+8 Armor,+2 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 8
Condition None 

The assembled group appeared proficient, a priest boat builder, an agreeably loud half orc ready for a brawl, much like himself and someone sneaky. Quietly, grinning at the war cry, he wonders if they could find a mage. Recent experiences with swarms had taught him their value. Returning his attention to money bags, he makes his own pitch "Like Azgar here, I hit hard and often, being very hard to hit in the meantime, see in utter darkness and have some minor magics. I keep things off those who cannot withstand such attention.. the polearm helps with that.", he murmurs, his voice akin to a low bass growl. "We could do with a mage. I dislike swarms.. they ignore my polearm."

image.jpeg.5fe8222e1c9f71cea63402bf832aa6d6.jpegBarlo shrugged, "Mayhap we can heal your arm, Arradon. I too know a healing spell."

"As for other abilities, I can bolster our morale in combat to make you warriors a bit better, and I have some magical spells. Though, none that can fend off swarms of rats or insects."

"But we have time to properly outfit ourselves with appropriate equipment. I could try to read some magical spell scrolls, I suppose if we had to, but mayhap we'd be better served with an ample supply of alchemist's fire and acid flasks."

"Also, we might need to consider a wagon or two to transport supplies. Anyone good with animals?" 

In answering Casimir's question about the ships, he continued, "The Kaijitsu ships often deliver trade goods from afar to Venza. Many years ago, two of their fleet (Kaijitsu Star and Kaijitsu’s Blossom) were lost enroute the city, never arriving. There was a very bad storm at the time, and it was assumed the two ships had perished without reaching shore. While they likely wrote off the cargo, they were said to have lost family heirlooms as well as family members. Likely the Kaijitsu family would pay handsomely for any of the artifacts recovered, but the treasure seekers could keep the rest."

"A few months ago, a goblin tribe in the Brinestump Marsh, about a week from Venza, was harassing caravans along the coastal road. But notably, they were using fireworks that were unique among the goods Kaijitsu imports and they contained the family logos. It was believed those likely came from the cargo the two lost ships carried."

spacer.png

Casimir rolls the names of the ships around in his mind, but does not recall hearing about them before. All the more reason, then, to ensure that their stories are recovered.

He tries to recall whether he has ever heard of the Brinestump Marsh before, then considers logistics: "You speak of wagons to transport supplies... but how accessible might this marsh be by sea? It must be reasonably close, for those ships to have ended up there. Perhaps we could shave off some time if we sailed there as well?"

Actions

Free action:
Move action:
Standard action:

Mini stats

Character sheet

Casimir Ivaldisson
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +7, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus +1  
Abilities:

Name
Knowledge (Geography) check
1d20+2 10

Character Profile

Male Neutral Half Orc Fighter 2 / Warpriest 1, Level 3, Init 2, HP 18/18, Speed 20'

MW, Silversheen Reach, Trip, Cord Horse Chopper  +8 (+7 Power Attack) (1d10+6 (+9), x3) Weapon Cord
Condition None 

Lothar, listening quietly, pipes up with... "Much will depend on the wrecks distance from the nearest landfall and its distance from the nearest pathway. Another thing to consider is whether we all can swim. I can, but I don't take it as a given that all of us can.", his voice a low rumble. "Oh and I have some skill with animals, as in some training. I can drive a wagon passably well."

"Anyway, more swimmers among us makes a seaward approach more attractive and vice versa.", he adds a moment later, concluding with that.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

image.jpeg.5fe8222e1c9f71cea63402bf832aa6d6.jpegBarlo shook his head, "I do not think a ship would be the best way to go based on the information I received. The marsh is supposed to navigable with a couple roads and trails, and even some crude bridges that crossed some of the inlets."

"Some inexperienced adventurers took on the task of dealing with the goblin Licktoad tribe. The party ultimately defeated Chief Rendwattle Gutwad and looted Licktoad village. However, they lost a few members in the process. They tried to follow-up to find the shipwrecks of the ships, having learned roughly where to look from interrogating goblin prisoners. Unfortunately, the remaining adventurers ran into trouble with a swamp witch that ruled that part of the swamp and only one member made it back to civilization."

"I purchased this information and received a crude map of the swamp that provided the road leading into that part of the marsh, and the approximate areas where the wrecks were believed to be. The goblins also mentioned there were some caves that held the spirits of the ships that were too scary to go near. The southern edge of the marsh where the road entered was easily identified with some cliffs overlooking the marsh that could contain caves, but the lone adventurer was unable to confirm any locations nor their actual existence."

Character Profile

Condition None 

Witch?, thinks Lothar to himself, equal parts intrigued and nervous at the prospect. His last job, singularly unchallenging, had been something of an ego trip for him, and had seen him carving his way through all opposition with relative ease. The others on the job, had pretty much amounted to window dressing save when occasionally useful. Looking at the others he drew some comfort from the fact that these folk looked much more capable. Given that he had got the distinct impression this mission would be considerably more dangerous, he felt his excitement rise.

"These ships, are they in that same swamp witch's turf?", he asks, hoping to hear that they are.

Arradon Delgaran, Harran Renegade

spacer.png

Arradon waves Barlo off with his good hand. "No need to worry. I'll be fine." He'd been on ships and trudged through his fair share of swamps, either way, he'd make do; broken arm or no.

He listens intently as the discussion continues.

At the mention of a cart he shakes his head, "Not much good with animals." Or people for that matter. 

He frowns slightly at the mention of spirits. The undead were often more difficult to put down than they would be in life. Many were the times he'd delivered what should've been a fatal blow to a mortal man, only to have the foul specters brush it off as though it were nothing. 

Mini-Stats

Arradon Delgaran
Initiative: +5 Perception: +8, Move 30ft
AC: 17 (13 Flat-Footed, 15 Touch) (+1 Dodge Bonus vs Light Blades)
HP: 26 Current: 26
CMB: +2 CMD: 17
Fort: +2 Reflex: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs. Enchantment, Immunity to Sleep)
Conditions in Effect: None

Current Weapon in Main Hand: Masterwork Dagger (+7, 1d4+4, 19-20/x2)

Current Weapon in Off Hand: None

Features:

• Evasion
  • Sneak Stab (+2d8)

Actions

Move: 

Standard:

Swift:

Free:

spacer.png

Casimir finds himself agreeing with the fearsome-looking elf across the table: "Regrettably, I have no experience with carthorses either. Although I could most likely repair the cart itself, if the need arose."

He picks up on something else that Barlo said: "Did you say those goblins thought the "spirits of the ships" were hiding in those caves? Might those be the souls of the ships' crews and passengers? Or something to do with the ships themselves, or their cargo?" He frowns as he considers the implications. His last encounter with the undead had been profoundly disturbing, albeit ultimately profitable, but it had reinforced in his mind the importance of assisting folk in need of safe passage to whatever afterlife lay in store for them. "In either case, please consider me interested. "

Actions

Free action:
Move action:
Standard action:

Mini stats

Character sheet

Casimir Ivaldisson
Abilities:

Edited by Sandstar (see edit history)

spacer.png

My last job was in the nearby swamps.  We encountered the witch of the swamp.  She was fine as long as you weren't aggressive with her.  Azgar comments

AZGAR  AC19 TAC12 FAC17 HP28/28  Init+4 F+8 R+6 W+5  Perc+6 Diplo+5 Intim+12  Falcata +8 1d8+8 19-20x3 (+2hit &dmg vs undead) Everyone: +2 wpn 

Character Profile

Condition None 

He took the news that the witch would likely not be an issue with, it had to be said, ambivalent feelings... one part relief to one part stifled ambition, killing a witch came with bragging rights, but more than this it was the notion of testing oneself against a worthy opponent.

Still, he resigned himself to not being aggressive around her, since it seemed to be outside what he was being paid, as a professional, to do.

"So, since it seems I'm the only one who can drive a cart, we're restricted to one cart." he offered up, knowing he was essentially forcing those who'd not answered the question to do so. 

image.jpeg.5fe8222e1c9f71cea63402bf832aa6d6.jpegBarlo had a thoughtful expression for a moment and the shrugged at Lothar's question about the witch, "Tis likely from what I understood from the guy that told me the story. His companions were looking for the ships in that area when they ran across the witch. They were not able to negotiate or defeat her."

Turning back to Casimir he answered shaking his head, "I cannot really say for sure what the goblins meant. I was only told what the adventurer thought, and it was unclear. But they recovered some of the fireworks that were very probably part of the cargo from the ships and the goblins mentioned two ships, not one. I was expecting to learn more once we find the shipwrecks. Mayhap a logbook or something."

"Lucky for you all, I can at least drive a wagon and cajole a mule passably. So, we can take two wagons then, if we desire."