The Pre-Game In-Character Thread

Kamishiro_Rin

The Pre-Game In-Character Thread

spacer.png

Vogler (VOG-ler)

The fishing village of Vogler clings to a spit of land reaching into the Vingaard River. Wooded cliffs overlook the community, and the only path from the north descends past the ivy-covered remnants of a crumbling stone keep. The village’s modest wooden buildings cluster around a quaint central circle and along the riverbank.

Jutting into the river—out of place and seemingly out of time—stands an incomplete stone bridge of incredible artisanship. The structure clearly dates to before the Cataclysm, eclipsing its modern peers in size and sturdiness. The bridge crosses less than half the river’s width before giving way to a series of ropes and tethered rafts serving as ferries.

On the river itself, dozens of small boats drift along the slow, murky waters as the fishers of Vogler ply their trade.

YalmeYalme takes a short break outside

You’ve entered the quaint little riverside village of Vogler for Ispin’s funeral two days from now. Everyone is getting ready for the annual Kingfisher festival. On the bank of the Vingaard River is a tavern-inn with a small sign hung over its door: the Brass Crab Inn and Tavern.

The Brass Crab

The Brass Crab is a modest single-story inn on the village wharf, and its exterior vaguely resembles its namesake. Its proprietor, an Ergothian woman named Yalme (YALL-me—human commoner), has an odd love of bad storytellers and inept musicians. One wall of the circular common room features a faded mural of two enormous crabs locked in combat, inlaid with brass details. The mural’s origins are lost to time, but if asked, Yalme says she named the crabs Fancy and Gorgeous George. Four short halls branch off the common room, each lined with rooms for rent.

It’s not very big inside—pretty cozy in fact. A huge pot of stew slowly simmers near a rotating hog over a warm fire in the hearth. The heat of the fire would be welcome, were it cold, but Vogler is pretty far north in the southern hemisphere of Krynn—in other words, it’s getting close enough to the equator that spring is already uncomfortably hot. Fortunately, the rainy season is about to start.

“Welcome!” Yalme says in a friendly tone as you enter. “Eight silver for a night’s stay, two silver for a meal—all you can eat stew and pork, serve yourself, ask me for drinks—or nine silver and six copper for a bed and the meal package! What’ll it be? I only have seven rooms left.”

You’ve heard before that the inn’s rooms and beds are comfortable and despite the small size of the place, it’s supposedly worth the price.

There are only two circular tables in the common room, each large enough hold about six people. There’s no bar, but Yalme stands behind a small front desk and behind her, a door presumably leads into a kitchen where she can get your drinks and cook foods other than the pork and stew.

You can hear someone from the back say, “Honey, tell the gentleman who ordered the fillet that it’s going to take a little more time. I’ll be right out with those ales.”

“Skip to it, Darling, we just got another customer!” she answers her husband.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.png                        Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+2) +2 Tough | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10, Insight 10, Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Solamnic, Kharolian, Draconic

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 2/2

Mery takes a moment to tuck a wayward strand of blonde hair that has fallen out of its bun behind a slightly pointed ear as she sets the chest she has been dragging behind her on the ground.  For just a brief moment, she scowls at the chest, before turning to face the woman at the desk, her face now completely cordial.

"I'll take one of those rooms," she tells her, "as well as the meal deal you are offering, and I'll be here for at least two days.  My name is Mery Keryndon, and I've come for the funeral of Ispin Greenshield.  Tell me, do you know him?  And do you know anything about the funeral arrangements?  All I have is a letter telling me to come to Vogel for his funeral."

Mery's eyes are a piercing bright green, and she wears a long-sleeved tunic of a deeper hue of green that appears to be a bit too warm for the rapidly approaching spring.  Her breeches and leather boots are an ordinary brown.  Over the tunic, she wears a set of unusual-looking leather armor that has what might be a firebird embroidered in gold at the chest and a large pocket on either hip, giving her a faintly scholarly look.  Rapidly casting Prestidigitation, she takes a moment to whisk away the dirt and dust of travel from her clothing before returning her gaze to the woman behind the desk.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

YalmeYalme
Ergothian Human Commoner
(Proprietor of the Brass Crab in Vogler)

“Well, everyone here in Vogler knew Ispin!” Yalme exclaims. “So sad he passed away. His good friend, Becklin lives over in the ruined watchtower, and his friend, Cudgel, should be in town for the funeral.”

She takes your money and hands you a bowl, a spoon, and an overly-large fork. “Pull the lever over there to stop the spit spinning, and use that fork to pull the meat off. It should be nice, tender, and juicy. It should pull right off! We’ve got a selection of sauces to ladle on it as you like. The ladle for the stew’s in the pot, just lift the lid . . . Oh, and make sure to release the stop-lever, otherwise the pig’ll burn!”

OOC

Okay, from here on out, I don’t plan to participate in the thread, so others are free to run Yalme or her husband, Branson (he’s in the back) as you please. There’re no other wait-staff. This thread is for applicants to interact with one another.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

Str: 8 (-) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+3)

Mery accepts a brass key with an engraved '2W' on it from from Yalme, then drags her chest into the western hallway.  Finding room 2, she opens it with the key, then drags her chest inside, returning to the common room a scant minute later after locking her room and pocketing the key.

She then dishes up some roasted pig with a red-colored sauce she didn't recognize and a bowl of stew and takes a seat that allows her to view anyone entering.  

Yalme then asks her, "Something to drink, Mery?" 

"Cider, please," replies Mery.  "Or if you haven't any, then some wine."

A few moments later, Yalme brings her drink, some red wine.  As Mery eats, she considers her presence her in Vogler.  She'd gotten the impression that Ispin tended to make a lot of friends.  Will there be others like me who have come from out of town for the funeral?

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 18 (Chain Mail+2 Shield) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+2+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 2/2

The front door of the Brass Crab bangs open and a broad-shouldered dwarf of average height fills the doorway, "hello, the Brass Crab!"  The obvious traveler tramps to a table and unloads against a wall: first, a wooden shield and then a heavy leather backpack.  He replies to Yalme's cheery welcome, "aye!  I'll have a room, a meal, and two ales or beers.  I'm in town to celebrate the life of Ispen Greenshield."  He settles down in a wooden chair analyzing the brass crab mural with a very serious expression.

His shoulder length dirty blonde hair and full beard are relatively unkempt compared to most dwarves you might meet.  His most distinguishing features are a nasty scar down the right side of his face, eyes that sparkle gold, and a fancy pectoral amulet bearing the symbol of a forging hammer.  Chain mail peeks out from the layers of his well-mended but stained leather and wool traveling gear.  On his weapons' belt hangs a warhammer, handaxe, and dagger.

After Yalme brings him his bowl, spoon, and drinks, he gets up to serve himself stew and pork.  As he cuts some pork into his bowl and then pours stew over it, he addresses the half-elf, "I'm Coltan Bluetemper.  Pleasure to meet you.  What brings you to Volger?"

OOC

Pay a steel piece

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+3)

Mery returns the Dwarf's greeting with a shy yet charming smile.  "Greetings, Master Colton, I am Mery Keryndon.  I also am here for Ispin Greenshield's funeral.  What an interesting way to put it - that you are here to celebrate Master Ispin's life.  Is that a normal way of phrasing your feelings about a funeral among Dwarves?"  Mery's bright green eyes regard the Dwarf with intense curiosity.

"Where do you hail from?  I traveled here from Palanthas."

AC: 18 (Chain Mail+2 Shield) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+3+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)

"Well met, Master Mery."  He replies with a genuine nod of respect.  "Well, I suppose there might be people who travel to a funeral to celebrate the death, but I counted Ispen as a friend for more than fifteen years.  So, I'm hear to celebrate his life."

After a swallowing a spoonful of stew, he continues, "Hail from?  Well, I was born in a Neidar village a bit west of Thorbardin called Hillhome, but I've been traveling all over Ansalom for fifty years with my parents.  We're smiths and serve the villages and farms that don't have a resident smith."

The dwarf swallows another spoonful and wipes the extra from his beard with his sleeve.  He then asks pausing to receive answers to his questions, "And you?  What's the news from Palanthas?  Have you been there long?  How did you know Ispen?"

OOC

Pay a steel piece

Taking a sip of her wine, Mery exclaims, "You must have seen a rather good-sized portion of Ansalon, then.  What peoples have you met on your travels?  As for me, my family are parchment-makers, although I find I prefer reading or writing on parchment to making it."

When Colton mentions being Neidar, Mery's eyes go hazy and she looks up while rapidly scanning back and forth, setting her fork down and tapping her pointer finger in rapid succession before finally asking with a triumphant note in her voice.  "Oh, your people are Hill Dwarves then, by the common vernacular?"

"When I left Palanthas, I heard mostly ordinary complaints, although there were a few rumors of armies amassing.  No one seemed to know anything for sure, though."  She shrugs.

"And the day before I left the city, I took a few boxes of parchment to the Great Library to deliver them for my family's business.  I was chatting with a friend of mine who happens to be an Aesthetic when all of a sudden a hullabaloo broke out and many of the Aesthetics began exclaiming as books and scrolls tumbled to the floor."  She pauses a moment to allow Colton to take this in.  "It turned out that a ferret had somehow gotten loose in the Library," she says with a merry laugh. "On my way to the Library, I had seen a guy entering a tavern a couple of doors down who looked like he spent a lot of time in the wild, so I excused myself and went to go ask him if he'd be willing to help the Aesthetics catch the ferret.  Fortunately, he had a small trap on him, so he grabbed some food and we went back to the Library.  He set the trap and was able to catch the creature, and said he'd deal with it.  A few minutes after that, Astinus himself came out, and boy was he ever mad!  I grew up in Palanthas, and have visited the Great Library at least once a week since I was twelve, and I'd go often with my mother before then.  Never in all of that time have I ever seen Astinus himself.  He does not like critters getting loose in the Library, let me tell you!"  Mery is now laughing heartily at the memory.

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

At about that time, another guest wanders into the Brass Crab.  Hunni is small, even for a dwarf, and has some difficulty getting the door open, and once inside she glances around uncertainly, as though expecting to be chased out rather than served.  Yalme is friendly enough, so it is clear that there won't be a problem, but Hunni shows her the letter anyway just to be safe.

Hunni looks slightly cleaner than your average gully dwarf, in that her clothes are all actually clothes and it appears they have been laundered at some point in their past.  She wears a mismatched set, some too big for her, some too small, but most prominently displayed among her belongings is a pouch with the triple moon symbol of the Mages of High Sorcery; probably stolen, but it is easily the cleanest thing she seems to own.  After handing her money pouch to Yalme instead of counting out her coin, Hunni moves to put her pack by the chair closest to Coltan.

"Hello!" she exclaims, happily, to those present, before scooting her chair even closer to Coltan.  Much closer than would be comfortable.  "You all here for the funeral, too?  You lot don't look like locals," she commented, surprisingly observantly.

"My name's Hunni.  I was invited," she clarifies, before anyone can accuse her otherwise.

AC: 18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+3) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12

After another bite of stew, Coltan replies, "aye.  We've seen a lot of the continent, but we avoided big villages and the elven forests.  We only traveled where the people needed smiths.  So, I've never been to Palanthas."  He takes another spoonful and then replies, "aye.  Yes, they call us hill dwarves, because we live among the people of Ansalon."  Clearly, she did not know the history of dwarves.  Not that that was important.  He lets Mery politely change the subject to a story about the library of Palanthas. 

Coltan maintains eye contact with Mery while nodding, eating, and actively listening.  During the half-elf's story, the dwarf follows the new entrant in his peripheral vision.  The female looks too small to be a dwarf.  Maybe she is a gnome.   After he finishes laughing with Mery and her story about Astinus, he turns his attention to the newcomer.  "Hello, Hunni.  I'm Coltan Bluetemper.  This is Mery Keryndon.  We're both here for Ispin's funeral, too.  How did you know him?"

OOC

g8UNneK.png.09a0095c0b02c080e1ba13521855e1da.pngWybil D'Kazitwirx

Tinker Gnome Quandrix Guild Initiate Artificer

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 10, Investigation 15
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+4) | Int: 17 (+5) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, gnomish, and Elven

Slipping in the door after opening it just enough to pass through was a gnome, he was clearly a tinker gnome even for those who didn't know much about gnomes, as he was wearing a heavy apron with several bits of metal poking out.  The little fellow in the apron was looking about apprehensively, as if measuring most everything with his eyes, sizing the tables, stools, chairs, before finally deciding on approaching a stool that was obviously off kilter.  With quick hands he adjusted one of the legs by adding a small bit of leather and took a seat with a grin, for he knew that the obviously wobbly chair was less used and therefore the leather upon it was softer than most.  Wiggling in place with a nod of satisfaction he ordered some... what would he order? Now matters became complex.  He had no foreknowledge of this place, nor a great resource of experience to draw upon.  What did they serve in such establishments, what would be the best choice?

He looked up, and realized there were other people at the table and they were talking about Uncle Ispen... it would be rude to interrupt, so he began fiddling with something from his apron for a moment before stopping the waitress as she came by. "Excuse me, I understand Unc.. Master Greenshield used to frequent this place.  Can you tell me what his favorite dish was? I'll have that... with a second empty plate too and a room please, if there are any to spare."   

OOC

I don’t always put OOC content in my posts, but when I do, I put it in here.

Mery studies the tiny female that enters for several seconds trying to figure out of what race she is.  Gnome?  An exceptionally small Dwarf?  Kender?  Mery had met a few Kender in Palanthas, and she didn't think this tiny female was one of them, though she certainly had the gregarious nature Mery associated with Kender.  When the Gnome with the apron entered, Mery was positive he was a Gnome, but the female seemed to be of a different race than he.  That left some type of Dwarf.  She longed to ask Coltan if he recognized her race, but she figured it would be rude to ask in front of the woman.  She recognized the triple moon symbol on the pouch as indicating the Mages of High Sorcery, for a number of patrons of her parents' parchment shop bore items with the same symbol.  Then something about the way the woman seemed to expect being thrown out when she entered paired with her quick assertion of having been invited that sparked a memory.  Gully Dwarf?  But surely a Gully Dwarf wouldn't be accepted as a Mage of High Sorcery, would they?

And then something Ispin Greenshield had said echoed in her memory.  "One needs to travel the world", Ispin had said, "if only to recognize how limited one's own perceptions really are.  I have met Humans, Elves, and Dwarves who would sooner kill you than look at you, and Kender and Gully Dwarves with the spark of greatness in them and the will to use it."  Could this Gully Dwarf be one of the ones Ispin had had in mind when he spoke those words?  Very well, then.  For Ispin's sake, she would accept this woman, Gully Dwarf or no.  Rising from her stool and then kneeling in front of the tiny woman so that she was at eye level with her, she said, "If you are here for Master Ispin's funeral, you are welcome.  I am Mery.  I do suggest you pay for your room and meal now.  Rooms are filling up pretty quickly and gold is the best way to ensure you will have one come tonight."

To the Gnome she said, "I am not under the impression there is a menu to choose from here."  Pointing to the spit with the roasting pig and the pot of stew, she added, "That is our meal.  It looks like it may be a difficult for you to reach.  If you'd like, I'm happy to dish you a plate of meat and a bowl of stew once you've paid."  Turning back to Hunni, she added, "And for you as well, if you cannot reach on your own." 

OOC

@Rumrunner: GM said to just RP out Yalme serving you, that he wouldn't be doing that.

g8UNneK.png.09a0095c0b02c080e1ba13521855e1da.pngWybil D'Kazitwirx

Tinker Gnome Quandrix Guild Initiate Artificer

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield) | HP: 10/10 (1d8+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 12, Insight 10, Investigation 15
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+4) | Int: 17 (+5) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, gnomish, and Elven

"Thank you Mery, I'm Wybil." He responded, then turned back to the long dark haired proprietor.  She smiled and nodded to the blonde elven woman. "She happens to be correct.  Ispen, bless his soul, did so enjoy the pork n'stew.  But if you must know his favorite was the honey glaze, that's the second sauce there from the left sweetie." She said with bright blue eyed wink  "The bowls and the sort over by the pot, take two if you need them but since this lovely elven woman has been so kind to offer help, I'd hate to interject myself... Oh, that'll be nine silver and six copper Mister Wybil."  

"I only have gold at the moment, I trust Nevermind coin is fine?" He dropped the relatively newly minted Mount Nevermind gold into her palm (It was hardly melted, bent, chipped or greasy... well... relatively.) and the delightful woman nimbly pocketed the coin with a smile and slid four copper his way.  Room and board paid, she gave a curtsy and headed back to her desk to write the new entries her room ledger.  

Wylin slipped down from his stool and headed over to the stew and meat.  He completely forgot about Mery's offer, it never previously occurring to him that he might need help because of his stature.  Wybil had a tendency to overcomplicate things, and this was no exception, so as he did so he simply stood there a moment staring at the rotating spit pondering his options and muttering them aloud.  "I do have some tools and spare parts enough to make a lever or a handle extender, but I not enough to extend the handle on both the fork and the knife to cut the pork... I could probably drag over a chair, but that's rather also would risk tarnishing the furniture next to the fire... I didn't bring any explosives... besides it would be very difficult to get the trajectory right... I bet Rychia would be able to do that, she's very good at blast trajectories... Perhaps I could combine the fork and knife into one jaw like tool that could bite of the desired portion... hmmmm" 

OOC

@tbgg Thanks! Totally missed that 🙂

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

Hunny nodded sagely to Coltan.  "Yes, Ispin, I know him!" she exclaimed, happy to know the answer to this one.  "He told us stories, and I write him letters!  Oh, but he died."  Suddenly sad, she sighed.  "Sorry to tell you, his funeral is soon, I came for that."  She can't possibly have forgotten how the conversation had been going, but with all the activity going on, she seemed distracted.  "We can go together.  All three of us!"

At Merry's reminder of the need to pay for a room, she blinked.  "Oh!  I gave my coins pouch to..."  The girl trails off, but thankfully Yalme is nearby and heard the whole thing.  Laughing, Yalme returned the pouch to Hunni, minus the coin for the room.

Hunni informed her, "I need to stay for...  Two days?  Uh, until the funeral.  You can take as much as you need for that?" and passed the coin pouch back to be lightened.  Fortunately for Hunni, Yalme seemed honest, and counted out what was owed.

The gully dwarf then turned back to Merry.  "Stew is great too!  Let's all eat stew.  Let's go quickly, before the good rat is gone," she advised, and reached for Merry's hand to walk with her to get food to bring back to the table.  "You were Ispin's friend, too.  You and Coltan and me.  And Wybil," she babbled.  The gnome seemed busy, however.  "It is good, to go with new friends, to pay respect to an old one.  Do you all know each other?  How far did you have to travel to get here?"

OOC

@tbgg Hunni reached for Merry's hand, but if she doesn't want to take it, that's fine.  Not trying to impose anything on your character, if she would refuse to take it.  I read in her backstory that Merry likes personal space, but Hunni doesn't really understand that.  So, yeah, not trying to be rude here.

Mery takes Hunni's hand with a smile and leads her over to where the food is, wondering bemusedly what the tiny woman meant by "the good rat".  Does she think the rat is the meat on the spit, or in the stew?  Deciding not to ask, she focuses on dishing out both a plate of pork and bowl of stew, which she shows to the Gully Dwarf and asks, "Does that look like enough?"  She then adjusts the serving according to whatever Hunni wants.

Mery then returns to where the group was sitting and sets Hunni's plate and bowl in front of her.  Taking her own seat, she tells the Gully Dwarf, "It is indeed good to pay our respects to an old friend with new friends.  I rode a ship from Palanthas, which is my home city, to Kalaman, then walked the rest of the way here. It took me about a day to get here.  And as for the rest of us, we are just meeting and getting to know one another.  How far did you travel to get here?  And how did you meet Master Ispin?"

OOC

@GoblinKing Although Mery does indeed like her personal space, she can flex with the needs of the moment, and is generally more comfortable with contact from females than males.  At present, she views Hunni as being a little bit like a child, and would not shy away from taking her hand.  If it gets to be a problem, I'll let you know. 😉 Thanks for checking in with me, though!