The Pre-Game In-Character Thread

Kamishiro_Rin

image.png.a78fd01e5dd4757f4293c2d56e3e3d2e.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 18 (Chain Mail+2 Shield) | HP: ??/?? () | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception ?, Insight ?, Investigation ?
Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 1 (+) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 1 (+)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis folded away the note from Becklin, and looking up at the Inn's sign decided this must be the place. Judging by the noise and bustle emanating from behind the door it was already busy - always a good sign in a tavern. Not that he should be surprised, Ipsin was surely well loved if his time with Artanis' family was any judge. 

Opening the door to a wave of warmth, chatter and smell Artanis stepped in, taking note of the wide range of peoples already present, both in dress and race. He made his way up to the proprietress politely, letting the well dressed young lady and excitable child? pass in front of him. 

"Ah, two nights please Yalme, and the package" he replied, sliding the relevant coinage over to the mistress. "I'm in town for Ipsin Greenshield's funeral, which I believe'll be the eve of the Kingfisher Festival, so I'll be staying that long at least. The rooms are up here?" He asked, before heading up a corridor to offload his shield, weapon and pack, and change into something a little more comfortable.

A few minutes later he heads back to the main room dressed in simple undyed clothing, and helps himself to some pork before joining one of the communal tables beside the dwarf, who looks to be of similar heritage as himself at least. He smells of travel and honest work, beneath the mouthwatering rising steam of roast pork. "Busy place," he comments between mouthfuls, "you all from around here?"

OOC

I don’t always put OOC content in my posts, but when I do, I put it in here.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 18/18 (1d12+3+2+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

From behind Artanis a breeze enters and carries with it the scent of dust and earth. Yet another Dwarf arrives, this one looking as if there was some sort of aggressive badger in his family lineage. With a happy and wild look to his eyes, half covered in a boar belt, and a wide grin on his face he stops to take in the room. "Nope. Not from around here at all. Afraid I'd make this place too fancy and cultured if I settled down! Aharharhar!"

As he steps in it's easy to spot the tattoos across his whole body. There are Dwarvish wordsFor those who can red Dwarvish, words like "resilience", "determination", and "bravery" can be seen., crisscrossing Elvish scriptAll of the Elvish lines are colorful insults such as "may your mother eat her weight in pastries and grow twice in size" and "your ineptness is as uncanny as it is unique", with old Primordial linesFor anyone who reads Primordial, the lines represent themes like fate and time connecting everything in a dizzying pattern. It's... quite the statement on one's body. Finding a seat right in the middle on the room to give him as much access to speak to everyone he can he clears his throat in a way that's a bit sheepish... which doesn't match his initial entrance. "I er... would happily trade one of ya a... oh, let's see... a good ol' hunting trap if you'd be so kind to pay for my drinks. A trap and a Dwarf's respect."

He has no money. He spent his last gold on a shield and has not even a copper to his name. Sleeping outside is perfectly fine, but to be in a tavern without drink... that is a tragedy. 

OOC

-

image.png.a78fd01e5dd4757f4293c2d56e3e3d2e.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 18 (Chain Mail+2 Shield) | HP: ??/?? () | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception ?, Insight ?, Investigation ?
Str: 17 (+3) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 1 (+) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 1 (+)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

"Happy to cover you there..." Artanis pauses to let the Dwarf introduce himself. "I'm afraid I wouldn't be so handy with that trap though, and I'd be worried it would leave you hungry if you've no money and no trap." he laughs. "Names Artanis. Tell you what, you can pay me back with whatever it catches if we end up on the road together. I've always heard you can trust a dwarfs word." Artanis digs out his coin pouch again, and slides some the change Yalme gave him back over, to cover the dwarf's meal and drinks.

OOC

I don’t always put OOC content in my posts, but when I do, I put it in here.

spacer.png                        Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 12/12 (1d8+2) +2 Tough | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10, Insight 10, Investigation 14
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 11 (+0) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Solamnic, Kharolian, Draconic

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 2/2

Mery looks over the two newcomers and immediately recognizes the human as likely being a young knight or possibly a squire, given the necklace he wears that proclaims a faith.  Kiri-Jolith, by the symbol.  She has seen many such young men in Palanthas.  She's not entirely sure what to make of the tattooed Dwarf, but she gives both of them a courteous nod, replying to the knight, "Sort of.  I'm Solamnic, but not local to the area.  My name is Mery, by the way." Gesturing to the Gnome, Gully Dwarf, and the other Hill Dwarf, she adds, "We are all here for Ispin's funeral as well. Welcome, both of you.  How did you know him?"

Why am I being so friendly?  That's not like me at all.  Is this Ispin's spirit making its presence known, making me want to be friendly the way he so obviously was?  Then again, wherever I wind up after this, I'm going to need friends.  Yeah, that must be it.  Tiqi always said I could have a ton of friends if I put my mind to it.

OOC

@PureChance FYI, I don't think this inn has stairs.  Rather, there are corridors off of the main common room.  It's described in one of the early GM posts.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

Orphélise 'Lisette' Anthylli (Twilight Cleric/Lunar Sorcerer) orphee5.png.2c83027b2bf55deda4168f40b3fad74f.png

AC: 16 (+2 shield) | HP: 10/10 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: ?? | 
Spell Slots: 1st 2/2, 2nd 0/0, 3rd 0/0 | Cantrips 4/4 | DM Inspiration: 0/0

"Goodness... I should have expected it to be so lively." The words are followed by a light laugh, and the young woman sweeps into the room with a smile, barely holding back a yawn. She'd opted to take a bit of a nap after her arrival, but between her stomach and the dull hum of activity, she'd eventually roused from her slumber and made herself as presentable as she could before heading out. She adjusts her clothing carefully as she looks for a place to settle, and seeing not the innkeeper or her husband, turns a now slightly puzzled smile on the rest of the room.

"Has anyone seen the owners? I would very much like a drink," to start, nose twitching as the roasting pork's scent hits her nostrils, "and something to eat too."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Edited by astronavigatrix (see edit history)

spacer.pngMeryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10, Insight 10, Investigation 13
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 13 (+1) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 17 (+3)

OOC

@astronavigatrix Food is on the some kind of a serving table I'd imagine and consists of a roasting pig on a spit and a kettle of stew.  Drinks you get from Yalme or her husband. GM says we can RP either innkeeper serving us themselves and taking our coin, as he won't be doing that.  Welcome!

1 hour ago, tbgg said:

Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 13 (+1) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Sylvan, Draconic, Solamnic

OOC

@astronavigatrix Food is on the some kind of a serving table I'd imagine and consists of a roasting pig on a spit and a kettle of stew.  Drinks you get from Yalme or her husband. GM says we can RP either innkeeper serving us themselves and taking our coin, as he won't be doing that.  Welcome!

OOC

I'm very aware of what the DM said, I just figured it'd be a good way for one of the other PCs to let her know it's sort of a free-for-all rather than act like she'd already know what's going on.

Edited by astronavigatrix (see edit history)

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+3) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 2/2

Coltan finishes his bowl and his first tankard of ale concluding Hunni must be an Aghar by her behavior.  She must be the most civilized gully dwarf, that he has every seen.  However, Katlina is the most civilized kender that he has ever met, so there's that. 

After refilling his bowl with pork and stew, the smith listens to the now busy pub with a serious scowl on his face.  He would have offered his second ale to the new dwarf, but the young knight covered him.  Continuing on plan, he starts drinking his next tankard and tucks into his second-helping of stew.

OOC

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 18/18 (1d12+3+2+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Modri turns to look up at Artanis, his smile gone, and replaced with a strange expression as if lost in some sort of daze.

"You... sir... are absolutely beautiful!" Modri lets off a boisterous chuckle and pats his newfound friend in the back. "The name is Modri. And you have yourself a deal." The pat on the back is certainly not soft, but not nearly as hard as one might think such a Dwarf would give, showing at least a small sign of restraint.

"For those who want  tale of good ol' Ispin, listen well. For those who don't, I won't hold your poor taste against ya." He figures he may as well be the first to take Meryelle up on her question. "Pity I lost me bagpipes. Played here a couple times, and Yalme can attest to my gift. Sadly, will have to stick to words."

Modri takes one last glance around to let anyone who want to get situated before he starts. "I hail up north of here, and some time back was wrestling a big, hairy, spike-ridden, gaseous boar. By the gods it was a foul-tempered thing, didn't know when to give up. When the axe broke I picked up a dagger. When the dagger got stuck, it came down to fists. I was just about ready to finish the boar off when in comes Ispin, riding in like a proper hero. Now, for some reason the boar was willing to get into a scrum with me, but one look at Ispin and it took off in a terrible fright. Much as I appreciated the offer to help, he'd also cost me a good hunt, so he gives me a ride to the nearest trading post and treats me to several drinks, swapping tales and jokes. Think there might've been some pretty lass or something, but the important part is that was a man who knew good company, and was good company."

Content with his tale he clasps his fingers together and leans back in his chair. His story is plausible enough, though those with a keen eye might spot a few stretches of the truth here and there...

OOC

Rolling for Deception as though the story is mostly true, he's taken some liberties with how well the fight with the boar went.

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)
Name
Deception check
1d20-1 11

The Vengeful Knight

Emil Rosenthal, the Vengeful Knight

Human Knight of Solamnia, Oath of Vengeance Paladin 1

AC: 18 (Chain Mail+2 Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d10+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 10, Insight 12, Investigation 9
Str: 16 (+3)|Dex: 10 (+0)|Con: 15 (+2)|Int: 8 (-1)|Wis: 10 (+0)|Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Solamnic, Abanasinian, Draconic

"Lay on Hands": 5/5 | "Divine Sense": 3/3 | Precise Strike: 2/2 |  Spell SlotsPlaceholder until level 2

Ispin's death came as a surprise to the young knight. Even more so that he'd remember the young boy from a small farming village and made sure he was invited to his funeral. He had no choice but to make the journey, to give respect to the man that started the young man's dream to become a hero.

What would he think now...

The door swung open, an armor clad man wandering in. He moved almost as though he were one of the undead, a lifeless husk. It was a long journey, and it didn't help that he was wrapped head to toe in steel and mail, baking underneath equatorial heat. Nonetheless, he was finally here, and he could finally rest before the ceremony. He shambled towards the front desk, no doubt causing the proprietor a hint of unease. He listened to her offer of food and board and accepted, placing down a singular gold piece onto the desktop, collecting his change of four copper pieces.

As he waited for his room key and dishware, he deigned to take a look around at the colorful faces already at the inn, no doubt here for the same reason as himself. A scholarly looking elf. A dwarf that is clearly cut from the same cloth as Ispin, looking like a "proper" adventurer. A dwarven mage if that symbol was anything to go by. A dwarf that clearly came from the wilds. An exotic looking lady that he could only describe as sparkly. And last but not least, a fellow Knight of Solamnia. Emil couldn't help but place a hand on the faded crest upon his surcoat, somewhat relieved that they didn't match.

Good, he won't know who I am.

He received his key and the dishware needed to have a meal. He decided to deposit his belongings into his room first, keeping only his axe sheathed on his back. He returned to the common room, still clad in armor. Finally, he could have a proper meal. He took a good chunk of meat from the roasting pig, a bowl of stew, and just a cup of water to wash it all down. He took a seat just in time to listen to the barbarian's story. As he just slightly lifted his face plate to expose his mouth alone in order to eat, he could tell that while the deeds of Ispin were most likely true, the dwarf lied on how poorly the fight with the boar truly went. He couldn't help but give a low chuckle.

OOC/Actions

Emil loses 9 sp and 6 cp.

Emil's Passive Insight of 12 definitely beats a 10. 

Katlina Grovegust

Kender Far Traveler Way of the Ascendant Dragon Monk

AC: 16 (Unarmored Defense) | HP: 9/9 (1d8+1) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 13
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Kenderspeak, and Istarian

“Hey there!” Katlina said. | ‘Huh...That's interesting...’ Katlina thought. | Her actions . . .

Think of the dragon and it shall appear, some say!

Do they? Katlina is never sure.

After a long while of waiting on Coltan's part, a small figure finally enters the Brass Crab. This small figure is none other than Katlina, the Sightseeing Kender. She called to her friend throughout the Brass Crab waving cheerfully, "Heeeey, Coltan!" 

She hurries to him, ignoring the other patrons staring at her, "Sorry for the wait, bud! Some bullies tried to harass me on my way here from the shop," She gave a giggle at the last sentence. She knew Coltan knew what she was capable of, and there was the fact that the bullies learned that the hard way. She had parted ways from Coltan earlier in this town in order to go find a shop and buy herself a proper set of Cook's Utensils.  

She then looks to the group gathered nearby and she asked them, "Oh! New friends of yours?" She greeted them cheerfully, "Hi! I'm Katlina Grovegust!"

OOC

Sorry for the wait! ^^"

In response to what appears to be the new Elf female, Mery replies, "The owners are around, wandering in and out.  She's Yalme and I haven't learned his name yet.  There is food here on the serving table, but if you want a drink, you'll need to get that from one of them.  I'd also recommend you rent a room with them sooner rather than later and pay for your meal while you're at it, as there is a discount.  The innkeeper told me there were 7 rooms when I arrived, and there are now..." Mery pauses to count heads..."seven us us needing rooms, and that's if you ignore the fact that the Gnome is leaving and the Dwarf barbarian may not have any money with which to pay for a room.  I haven't kept track of who's paid and who hasn't, but if you want a chance of not having to share rooms with someone, that's your best bet."

"Welcome, by the way.  I'm Mery, and most of us are here for the funeral of Ispin Greenshield.  Are you also among that number?"

She then nods to the Kender.  "Hello, Katlina, welcome.  I'm Mery.  Since you know Coltan, can I assume you are also here for Ispin's funeral?"

Not wanting to leave anyone out, she nods a greeting to the new knight, who has thus far been silent.  "Welcome, friend.  If you're also here for Ispin's funeral, might we have your name, or at least something to call you by?  Otherwise, I fear I may inadvertently call you some silly thing such as Second Knight, or Branchala forbid, Silent Knight, and I'd hate for you to get stuck with a nickname you didn't like."

I'll say this for Ispin.  He sure knew how to make friends with an eclectic variety of people!

OOC

@astronavigatrix I'm not sure if this is a problem on my end or yours, but I am not seeing your character's image, so can't relate to her appearance.

To everyone else, Wybil the Gnome Artificer is pulling out because the player got invited to a different game.

And now I totally have the melody to a certain famous Christmas carol running through my mind!  😄

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 14/14 (1d10+3) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 16 (+3) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 2/2

Coltan waves over Katlina to his table and chair that he had saved for her.  He replies to Mery when she points out there are only seven rooms, "she can bunk with me if the Crab runs out of rooms.  We've been traveling together for almost a year anyway.  Besides, it's good that Ispin's got all these friends in town to celebrate him."

After showing Katlina the meal arrangements, he offers, "you missed that dwarf's Ispen story when he was wrassling a boar."  He takes another long pull of his ale and continues, "bullies?  You mean introducing yourself to the locals.  Hopefully, they're ones who the other locals thought needed a lesson.  Not like that other village."  He takes a sip to hide a smile.

OOC

The Vengeful Knight

Emil Rosenthal, the Vengeful Knight

Human Knight of Solamnia, Oath of Vengeance Paladin 1

AC: 18 (Chain Mail+2 Shield) | HP: 12/12 (1d10+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Passive Perception 10, Insight 12, Investigation 9
Str: 16 (+3)|Dex: 10 (+0)|Con: 15 (+2)|Int: 8 (-1)|Wis: 10 (+0)|Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Solamnic, Abanasinian, Draconic

"Lay on Hands": 5/5 | "Divine Sense": 3/3 | Precise Strike: 2/2 |  Spell SlotsPlaceholder until level 2

Emil seemed to ignore Meryelle as he continued chewing. It wasn't until he swallowed that he spoke up, though he did not turn his head to face her as he continued cutting into his meat. Not as though he could see properly with the face plate now misaligned with his eyes.

"Call me what you will, I've heard worse names. Murderer, for one."

He replied, his voice rather soft and flamboyant, opposite of what one would expect of a man of his demeanor. He then took another forkful of meat as he reminisced briefly. He was always called the foulest of names by those he hunted, even some of the regular folk that simply feared how he presented himself, like a beast prowling about.

"Emil."

He spoke plainly this time, ceasing anything more cryptic. Still, that seemed to be the end of what he had to say, as he continued to finish his meal, maneuvering his hands carefully with choreographed movements.

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

The Gully Dwarf seemed preoccupied with gobbling down her stew and meat, using fingers instead of utensils for the most part.  She made some effort to use the spoon, but mostly just poured the stew into her mouth directly from the bowl.  "That doesn't taste like rat.  Pretty good, though."

Her hunger satisfied, at least for the moment, she sat back companionably and scratched at a few fleas while the others talked.  Hunni seemed most impressed by the tattooed dwarf, and his stories of pig-wrestling.  "Wow, you must be strong!  Is that what the writing on your skin makes you do?  Is it magic?"  Her eyes as big as a Solamnian's shoe buckles.  "I want to win a pig-fight!"

Screwing up her eyes, and squinting her nose, she chanted softly and began tracing sigils on her arm.  Under her tracery, they formed, blue-purple squiggles that glittered softly in the inn's light.  They vaguely matched some of the more creative Elvish curses on Modri's body; close enough to tell what they should say, far enough that the penmanship is clearly lacking.  Then, she tried flexing her arm, to see if it felt stronger.

"Which one says boar?" she asked the dwarf.

OOC

Using Prestidigitation to make a symbol on her arm for an hour.