Officers Lounge (OoC)

TiffanyKorta

A terminology question: Do we talk about races or species in this game? Race sounds more archaic, Kirk-ish, but species feels less like a more neutral term. I do not want to upset anyone.

Oh cool, you're still taking character apps. I've never played this system, but Star Trek is my favorite Sci-Fi, by a wide margin (w/ Babylon 5, Star Gate SG-1 and Farscape tied as a distant 2nd)

Two questions...

1) What books can we draw from, besides the core book, regardless of era the game ends up in? I found an online character creator, but I need to know what books it can pull from.

2) I've an odd idea for a character, but I'd need to run it by you first... Would you be opposed to a Romulan? ...Specifically, since it looks like you'll be playing pre-TOS (assuming I'm not mistaken), a Romulan infiltrator posing as a Vulcan security/tactical officer? They could either be a Tal Shiar agent spying on the Federation, or better yet... a Section 31 turncoat, making them a triple agent just trying to survive. I do have other ideas if that one doesn't work, just wanted to run it by you first.

Also, since this is my first time doing anything w/ this system... anyone more familiar w/ it have any advice?

Edited by karsusthemad (see edit history)

On 5/18/2023 at 4:59 PM, karsusthemad said:

2) I've an odd idea for a character, but I'd need to run it by you first... Would you be opposed to a Romulan? ...Specifically, since it looks like you'll be playing pre-TOS (assuming I'm not mistaken), a Romulan infiltrator posing as a Vulcan security/tactical officer? They could either be a Tal Shiar agent spying on the Federation, or better yet... a Section 31 turncoat, making them a triple agent just trying to survive. I do have other ideas if that one doesn't work, just wanted to run it by you first.

My application is a Vulcan, so if they serve together, it may be difficult for a Romulan to keep up their disguise. Moreover two people behaving like Vucans may be a bit much.

I therefore offer to scratch my Vulcan doctor and replace her by a more personable species - maybe a Rigelian archeologist?

18 minutes ago, Gris said:

My application is a Vulcan, so if they serve together, it may be difficult for a Romulan to keep up their disguise. Moreover two people behaving like Vucans may be a bit much.

I therefore offer to scratch my Vulcan doctor and replace her by a more personable species - maybe a Rigelian archeologist?

To be fair, Romulans can easily pass for Vulcans long term... especially if they're one of the ones who don't have the forehead ridge. It's been shown repeatedly. Heck, they were shown to already be on Vulcan, destabilizing it and the surrounding sectors in Star Trek Enterprise. And that's what, like 100 years (give or take) before this game picks up?

But, I'm fine w/ playing something else... This was just one of those things I can see needing to be run past a GM first; like wanting to play a Drow/Evil Aligned in D&D, or a Dark Side Foce-user in Star Wars, or a Lasombra Anti-Tribue in Vampire: The Masqurade, or a Dark Magic user (of some kind) in Warhammer Fantasy RP. There are just associations that go along with those types of things, as well as possibly seriously changing a game's tone unintentionally if both players and GMs aren't careful... or worse. So if I have an idea for a character that even approaches that possibility, I ask first... don't want to cause anyone trouble, as I've been on both sides of the proverbial GM screen. And a Romulan Double or Triple agent certainly fits that in my book.

But I do have other concepts I wouldn't mind playing at all... like a Catian Con officer adrenaline junkie or an Orion Security/Tactical officer from a piratical background. All three sound like fun to me, so there's no need for you to change on my account. I just wanted to see if the GM was okay w/ a Romulan infiltrator first, as I've yet to decide which concept I wanna play; still feeling them all out in that character builder I found.

@karsusthemad, if I may, I think that the idea of a "Caitian Con officer adrenaline junkie" would work out pretty well. However, unless @TiffanyKorta deems otherwise, an "Orion as a Security/Tactical officer from a piratical background" might not work. The time period designated is 2258 and I don't know if Starfleet would go along with the idea of an Orion serving on a starship in that capacity, the movie Star Trek (2009) not withstanding. Maybe some other Species might work better for that.

Just an update on my end... I think I'm gonna go w/ the ex-pirate Orion Security officer, I just think there's more RP opportunities there. I'll have my sheet up soon, just tinkering w/ the values; trying to come up w/ decent ones that fit the concept

After the weekend I'm going to set this to Open and send out invites, so if you are still interested get something up by then.

If people have any ideas about the type of ship they want feel free to contribute, if not I'll pick out something suitable and get the first mission up in a few days.