Playing a GMless game

MinjaMan

I have been ruminating on how to play a game without a game master. Low is a quick set of rules of how I think it could be done. What's great about it is that it can be adaptable to just about any system.

1. Collaborative Storytelling: The players should work together to create the story and shape the world of the game. There should be no one player who is in charge of the narrative; instead, everyone should contribute to it.
  2. Scene Framing: Players take turns framing scenes, which involves setting up a specific situation or encounter for the characters to navigate. This can help keep the story focused and provide opportunities for different players to take the lead. Each player should contribute details to the scene.
  3. Shared Responsibility: All players should share responsibility for creating and enforcing rules. This could be done through discussion and consensus-building, or by assigning different players to be in charge of specific areas of the game.
  4. Character Creation: Each player should create a unique character that fits into the world of the game. This could involve choosing a race, class, or other defining characteristics, as well as determining their backstory and motivations.
  5. Non-Player Characters: While players should have control over their own characters, non-player characters (NPCs) play an important role in the game. NPCs can be created by any player and used to provide challenges, information, or other narrative elements. Once the NPC is made that player should take on the role of that character.
  6. Conflict Resolution: When conflicts arise, they should be resolved through a combination of negotiation and chance. Players could use a system of opposed rolls, or engage in role-playing to try to persuade each other. The goal should be to keep the story moving forward while also ensuring that everyone feels heard and included.
  7. Consequences: Actions should have consequences, both positive and negative. This could involve gaining or losing resources, affecting the story, or changing relationships between characters.
  8. Shared Worldbuilding: In addition to creating their own characters, players should also have the opportunity to contribute to the world of the game. This could involve creating locations, factions, or other elements of the setting, and could be done through discussion and collaboration.
  9. Emergent Storytelling: By allowing the story to emerge from the actions and decisions of the players, you can create a unique and unpredictable narrative that is shaped by the creativity and input of everyone involved.
  10. Theme and Tone: As the players collaborate on creating the story and world of the game, they should also consider the overall theme and tone they want to convey. This could involve deciding on a specific genre, such as fantasy or science fiction, or a particular mood, such as horror or humor.
  11. Feedback and Evaluation: After each session, the players should take time to reflect on what worked well and what could be improved in the system. This can help refine the rules and mechanics over time, and ensure that everyone is having fun and feeling engaged in the game.

I love to open up this topic to the community at large and see what everyone thinks and ask the question: how well would a GMless game work on mythweavers?

I mean, there are systems that are built for it. I've kinda-sorta done it with Ironsworn, which features a co-op mode. It went reasonably well. The key is to have everyone on the same page.

But yeah, in principle there's no reason it shouldn't work. Wanderhome is GM-less too, I think.

50 minutes ago, MinjaMan said:

I was thinking that came to secrets that you share it with just one other player that way there is at least some accountability to it.

I think you have a remarkable concept. I'm very interested 👍

2 hours ago, Vladim said:

I mean, there are systems that are built for it. I've kinda-sorta done it with Ironsworn, which features a co-op mode. It went reasonably well. The key is to have everyone on the same page.

But yeah, in principle there's no reason it shouldn't work. Wanderhome is GM-less too, I think.

This. There's tons of GMless options available nowadays.

Ironsworn does a great job of playing without a GM. You just have to make sure everyone playing is on the same page for expectations.

I'm slowly playing more and more solo games; some right here on the 'Weave. Solo is fun, but I've yet to try a true co-op.

I've considered something like this before, and I agree with the sentiments about Ironsworn and other solo RPGs. In fact, I've done some research before about how a person could play any tabletop RPG solo without any specific system in mind, though I've never actually put it to the test.

Whatever form it takes, though, it evokes the imagery of a group of writers storyboarding and brainstorming, which I quite enjoy. I get the sense that a group of practiced GMs would be very well suited for something like this, or at least players willing to get into the mindset of and learn to be a GM.

However, it is important to consider the possibility of seriously trying to put together a game like this. How would you advertise for something like that? How would you narrow down your choices? Most RPG games suffer from at least a little bit of attrition: what happens to everything a player has made and tied into the world if they leave?

Tbh, the more I think about it the more tempting it is to actually try something like this. I've been looking to play a game for once, rather than stay a forever GM, and my choices have been... small, thus far.

Here's a recently concluded adventure I ran using Ironsworn in coop mode (sort of; I think it's fairer to call it a hybrid between GM-led and co-op). It's nothing too ambitious or fancy; it's basically a published adventure for The One Ring RPG with some small adaptations and changes made along the way.

It's still quite strongly led (by me) to set the tone and introduce the setting, but other players also provided input, made choices that impacted the story and brought in some NPCs; in general, they had a small hand in shaping the adventure and the world.

Year 2950: Words of the Wise - Myth-Weavers

I think this could be run with a more 'true' co-op, and less GM-led approach too, especially if all the players were knowledgeable about the setting and were on the same page. In fact, I'm running a follow-up adventure and hope that we can slowly move towards something more co-op than led. But it's possible to do something in between, it just depends on how much leading everyone's willing to do (perfect balance is not necessary and may anyway be unattainable).

on MW, could be intriguing, but I guess you could play with something like the Mythic GM emulator where essentially it's a bunch of tables that you roll on, and the mythic GM will guide the story/put twist with whatever system you want to play, but will agree to play with something relatively easy if you don't want to a lot of actual GM work, something like the cypher system for example.

Edited by Rogers (see edit history)

I have been thinking of starting a game like this. First you gather players, then together you decide what theme, system, and setting. Basically have nothing decided until everyone is at the table then figure out what everyone wants to play. You set expectations early. Heck there are rulesets out there for worldbuilding together. Maybe start with A Quiet Year.

It would be geared towards players who want to GM, but are too shy. GMs who love to GM, but want to taste a little more some of the mystery that players experience ( I fit in this category). 

It really is meant for everyone to contribute equally.

Any takers?

1 hour ago, MinjaMan said:

I have been thinking of starting a game like this. First you gather players, then together you decide what theme, system, and setting. Basically have nothing decided until everyone is at the table then figure out what everyone wants to play. You set expectations early. Heck there are rulesets out there for worldbuilding together. Maybe start with A Quiet Year.

It would be geared towards players who want to GM, but are too shy. GMs who love to GM, but want to taste a little more some of the mystery that players experience ( I fit in this category). 

It really is meant for everyone to contribute equally.

Any takers?

Taken. I'd think once the group forum is created all players should have GM or Co-GM status or at least have a 'Setting' sub-forum where agreed details can be documented? Also another 'Character' sub-forum? 

Just tossing out ideas here.

Edited by Jedaii (see edit history)

Count me in as well, @MinjaMan. I have plenty of ideas for settings and campaign premises that I could offer; I'd probably suggest some of my more basic ones that can be easily expanded upon by others.

What type of system would we use? Personally, I'm partial to Fate, but I'd be fine with something else like Ironsworn. Just as long as it can facilitate an original setting.

Edited by Rune Knight (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MinjaMan said:

Any takers?

Tentative interest. I am very creative, but can be a bit picky on mechanics and setting. My ideas also tend to be kind of "out there" so if people are looking for bog-standard kind of stuff, I should probably just keep on walking. Mostly, I love a good twist, like what Mythic GM Emulator can offer, or the emergent story that comes from something like Ironsworn.