Year 2950: Secrets Buried

Vladim

spacer.pngMogdred halted his conversation with the dwarf for a moment. Then, somewhat taken aback, he turned towards Idunn, and spoke a quick response.

"I thank you for these tidings and counsel, yet I fear that I cannot find use for the latter. This complaint I have heard frequently from the followers of the Wizard. But your mercy is misplaced. If you had endured the dungeons of Dol Guldur; if you fought the orcs daily like my own folk do, then you too would seek to make use of every tool in your disposal. The Enemy's devices can be turned against him: not all may have the strength to do this, but we must: for we have no other choice."

unknown.png

Ed: 1 | He: 3 | Ir: 2 | Sh: 2 | Wi: 1

Mom: 5 (10/2) | Health: 2 | Spirit: 4 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Tarric shook his head, but with some measure of sympathy. "While I can understand that viewpoint, lord -- and I can only imagine how wearing it must be to be in such constant conflict -- I will tell you much what I told Dagmar earlier: there is always a choice, albeit a woefully difficult one. I don't expect you to agree, but... let me pose this: If we defeat our foe by becoming him, then in the end, what evil has been removed from the world?"

He continued swiftly, anticipating no positive response from that, but hoping the seed had at least been planted. "Something to think about. But here is something more solid -- We go to Dol Guldur, as Bróin has said. It is my hope that our work there will at least give you some respite."

OOC/Mechanics

n/a?

Assets

Tarric and Olwinne both have +1 talisman vs orcs.

Berserker - (Combat Talent)
When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
------ Push yourself: Endure Harm (1 harm)
------ Lose yourself: Endure Stress (1 stress)
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.
When you perform this ritual, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

▥= 1 tick, ▦= 2 ticks, ▩= 3 ticks, = full

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Journey: To Tyrant's Hill (Troublesome)
Vow: Name (rank)
Vow: name (rank)
Bonds:

Bond 1: Olwinne his wife
Bond 2: Rhosgobel villagers/friends
Bond 3: Idunn
Bond 4: Woodmen-town
Bond 5: Bróin/Vara
Experience: ◍ = have, = used

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T), Dagmar (D)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D)

spacer.pngMogdred smiled at the words: not a mocking smile, but certainly one that betrayed skepticism.

"Such questions are neither for me nor my followers. Better to leave them to the Wise: the Loremasters and the Wizards, who can ponder such matters in times of peace, if peace ever comes. But while orcs remain yet in Mirkwood, it is swords and spears that are needed, not books."

He sighed. "So you will go to Dol Guldur. It is a cursed place. The Necromancer's malice still lingers, even if he is now gone. I have no wish to visit that place of torture and imprisonment again, but at least I can counsel you of the dangers. But, to tell you the truth, you will be lucky to get as far as the fens and the castle.

Still. Let us talk for a while longer, and if your minds are made up, then you can listen, and learn of the perils that lie ahead."

OOC

At this point, we can continue the RP, or, if you prefer, I can write a short summary post listing up all the relevant information that Mogdred reveals.

Additionally, @Maester1216, Mogdred will not forget Bróin's offer of aid, and the two of them can discuss the details at length (even privately, if the dwarf prefers, afetr this discussion closes). We can also summarize that; if you want to also pair this with a Move (especially if Bróin is seeking to gain something out of the deal), feel free (for example, Compel may be fitting, as would be Swear an Iron Vow if necessary). Or we can just leave it as mechanic-less narrative. Up to you!

spacer.png

Bróin bows his head respectfully to Mogdred. "I thank you my lord. Any information - or assistance - you may offer us in our venture going forward would be greatly appreciated... and duly renumerated."

Looking aside at his companions its clear that Bróin isn't wholly onside with the criticism being levelled against the lord of Tyrant Hill, but when the matter pertains to Orcs what Dwarf would be? Still, nothing to draw the circle over. Matters more important than a simple difference in opinion laid before the company, and demanded far greater attention.

OOC

Current Momentum: +5

I'll try a Compel roll using Heart here.

Hmmm... I'll Pay the Price here, and Mogdred makes a demand which costs Bróin greatly.

Pay the Price: Your action has an unintended effect. The most apparent thing here is that whatever Mogdred wants/requires will have some unforeseen consequence. Maybe he wants something from Dol Guldur?

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)
Name
Compel with Heart
1d6+2 2
Challenge Dice
9; 9
1d10;1d10 [9]; [9,9]
Pay the Price
1d100 21

spacer.pngMogdred nodded at Bróin's words and offer, but before long he turned to matters more close at hand, and spoke of the perils of what lay ahead, seeking to warn the companions.

He spoke of the fortress of the orcs in Fenbridge, a castle raised a few miles north of Dol Guldur. It is from there that the raiding parties that attacked the Woodmen issued, and it is there where the orcs were gathered in greatest strength: for even they did not dare reoccupy the Necromancer's fortress after he had abandoned it.

Maghaz was their captain and castellan: a small and weak orc that had, in years past, when the Necromancer ruled Dol Guldur, enjoyed tormenting the Woodmen and other prisoners in the dungeons of that dreaded place. Mogdred spoke his name and spat, remembering with disgust how cruelly he had toyed with the unfortunate souls that had fallen under his supervision.

"Do not underestimate him, or his subordinates." Mogdred advised them. "He may look unfit for rule, but he commands with cunning, and his orcs fight in the manner of your own peoples, using ambushes and clever tricks to their advantage. I have hunted him for many days, for I owe him a debt of pain, but he is a slippery one. Without him, Fenbridge would be headless, at least for a while."

He halted as he walked, and turned to them suddenly, and added: "Since your numbers are few, stealth and secrecy are your best hope. I do not counsel you to go through Fenbridge, but rather skirt around it, giving it a wide berth if you can. The swamps around the castle may seem impassable, but there are secret ways through them, though they are used by orcs. It is best to remain hidden, and wary of their tricks. But if you encounter a patrol, and are forced to fight, my counsel is this: do not spare any single orc, or they will hunt you down, and the depths of the forest are their hunting grounds.

If by some wonder or good fortune you make it past the fens and to Dol Guldur, beware. They say that the fortress is unoccupied. It is not so. Ghosts and bitter memories linger there, and the place is as foul as ever. Against such things, I cannot counsel you: for I have not set foot in that prison since my escape."

OOC

So, a Miss on Compel states: they refuse or make a demand which costs you greatly. Pay the Price. So let's see...

• First of all, what was the intent of Bróin when you made that move? The fiction in your post is not 100% clear to me... is he asking for more help? In addition to what he just provided? Perhaps, aid with helping with the Old Forest Road, or something like that? We can also handle such requests in the background.
  • As for the Pay the Price outcome (unintended effect)... maybe the Woodmen that are with us learn of all this eventually, and word spreads that Bróin is a bit too close to comfort with Mogdred for most Woodmen? Or, maybe word gets out that he tried to bribe them (see previous -1 Wealth to Dagmar et al) and that irritates the dwarves at Black Tarn Hall (such as Bofri & co)? In this way, the 'great cost' that the move mentions could be (partially) Bróin's reputation?
  • Or perhaps Bróin has to make an Iron Vow to speak in favor of Mogdred once he is back in Rhosgobel; perhaps we can make this one a small Troublesome or Dangerous vow and handle it in the aftermath as a short, personal scene?
  • Or maybe somehow, the information that Mogdred is keeping & torturing orcs slips out, and this makes him even more unpopular with the rest of the Woodmen?
  • Or perhaps Mogdred asks for more tribute/support from Black Tarn Hall (in exchange for his), and the constant demands make Bróin/Mogdred unpopular?
  • Or perhaps Mogdred flat out denies, thinking that Bróin doesn't have anything of true value to offer?
  • Or any other idea of your own?

Either way, I'll roll for a negative twist below for the doubles-I think there's an Oracle for this in the book (p. 190).

Edit: 91; Unexpected powers or abilities are revealed. Hm... nightmares? If I flip the numbers (91 -> 19), what's the other twist? 19: An assumption is revealed to be false. I'll need to think about this.

Either way, let's resolve this scene and the request Bróin is making, and then we can move forward... I think the information already given by Mogdred should count as a Milestone in our vow (Investigate Dol Guldur). We've spent way too much time and shed sweat and blood here to get that info, so I think it should count for something. That should take us to 3 milestones (or one and a half boxes).

Investigate Dol Guldur (Extreme): □□□□□□□□

Name
Major Plot Twist Oracle
1d100 91

Scene 8: Into the haunted woods

Time: Morning, five days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngMogdred spoke on as he walked, and at length he led them back to the others: Radagast and Dagmar and Mogdred's hunters the rest of their wood-folk companions. He warned them at great length about this peril and that danger, counseling them on how to best approach the inhospitable marsh-lands that surrounded Dol Guldur, and served as a natural moat to it, but greater in size than any man-made fortification ever built.

It would be a long journey to the fens: not owing to the greatness of the distance involved, but rather because the going would prove painfully slow. The forest that now lay ahead of them was dense and pathless and full of forgotten evils. Seven days, Mogdred reckoned; longer if they found themselves lost, which was a real possibility. As for the marshes themselves, Mogdred had little counsel for them: even his own folk rarely dared to set foot there. They would have to rely on their own wits and skill to reach the Necromancer's abandoned fortress.

When they returned to where they had started in the village, Mogdred also allowed them to seek the advice of his hunters, who now spoke freely with them and answered any questions as best they could. But Bróin instead sought to continue his discussions with the lord of Tyrant's Hill, hoping to negotiate closer bonds between his folk and the rest of the Free Peoples.

Dwarf and man spoke for a long time, and Bróin's openness did not go unnoticed by the Woodmen and Radagast. He was still distrusted, Mogdred, even though he had already earned renown in the field of battle against the orcs. Such ill-feeling stemmed mainly from Mogdred's harsh words towards his own kin the Woodmen, and especially Amaleoda and Black Tarn Hall. And the Woodmen that had come with Radagast begun to whisper: whispers that would surely spread if the company ever made its way back to the Houses of the Woodmen.

OOC

Note, on the map, the current location has changed: We're now in Tyrant's Hill.

Ok, so this handles the miss for Bróin's Compel. This is how I envision the rest of the journey:

• Darkening of Mirkwood states that it takes about 7 days to reach the fens, and from the fens to Dol Guldur it's 3 more.
  • I suggest we swap journey mechanics for delves to mix it up; in my experience, Delves are more fun and varied.
  • For the first leg through Southern Mirkwood, let's define the theme/domain as a Haunted Tanglewood. The second leg can be a Fortified Shadowfen or a Fortified Stronghold (or something else), depending on how we choose to go (via Fenbridge castle or the marshes). The final delve should be Dol Guldur itself: some kind of ruin, I think, or underkeep (we'll figure it out if/when we get there).
  • Successful completion of each Delve should count as a milestone.
  • Additionally, we could have a few more scenes after departing: (a) Bróin reuniting with Vara; (b) some bad dreams because of the negative twist and (c) if Bróin has harsh words for the way Radagast spoke, we could have an extra scene.
  • I will, for now, roll to determine the rank of the first delve (Haunted Tanglewood). Let's say it's 50/50 that it's Formidable (on 51+); otherwise, Dangerous. Remember, Mogdred's help bumps this down by one step. Let's see...
  • Edit: Hey, just Troublesome it seems. Good-we need a break. Maybe Radagast being with us also makes things a tad easier. I'll flesh out the Delve in my next post. Heart of the Wild has good descriptions and suggestions for Denizens. I may not fill a full site worksheet, but still. In the meanwhile, feel free to post! And if someone wants to lead with the first move, go for it! And if you don't know how delves work, you can ask on Discord, but all the moves are freely available here.
Name
Ask the Oracle (Delve rank)
1d100 12

spacer.png

Bróin and Mogdred spoke at length on a great many things, from matters of commerce and logistics to the politics of the Woodmen clans. The Lord of Tyrant Hill was not a gregarious man, that much was clear, but like as not the Dwarf could see only suspicion and a lack of understanding at the root of Mogdred and his clan's ostracism. Black Tarn, Mountain Hall, Woodmen-Town... they see the darkness that assails Tyrant Hill and misattributed it to these hard-working folk. Their words are seen in the worst possible light, which serves only to drive them further and further away from their fellows in the Vales. By the Dwarf's reckoning it would take an outsider's perspective to sway the other clans in their attitude towards Tyrant's Hill; who better than him? It would not be an easy task - especially as he notes the wayward glances from some in the company - but nevertheless it was one that needed to be done.

At the very least his work would not be done alone, for a familiar cawing could be heard growing louder and louder as the Company made to depart for the fens. Soon enough Vara has retaken her place on Bróin's shoulder, regaling the Company with a tale of her daring escape from the slings and arrows of Tyrant's Hill. Such talk follows the Company as the begin to brave the tangled woods of Southern Mirkwood...

OOC

I'll have a go at the Delve the Depths roll. Gonna use Shadow on this one.

So a Weak Hit, meaning I roll on the Shadow table.

We're not in a bad place now, so I'll just Mark Progress.

Name
Delve Roll
1d6+3 2
Challenge Dice
4; 8
1d10;1d10 [4]; [4,8]
Shadow Delve
1d100 61

Time: Morning, six days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 1 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 8]

The day passed. Bróin led the way with stealth and secrecy. Radagast was never far from his side, though the two spoke little. Often the villagers of Rhosgobel boasted of the spells and blessings Radagast knew and could bestow. Amongst them, spells of concealment that could make a hunter move about unseen in Mirkwood. Whether such power was at work here, though, was at present uncertain. For here, the mirk was darkest, so that little light penetrated the leaves and occasional mists that rose from the bogs, even on a bright summer day such as this. Darkness had dwelt for too long here, and it would take more than a few years for its taint to be banished. Perhaps there was little need for spells: they were well-hidden already.

But at least Vara returned, and rejoined her friend and companion, and spoke to them of what she had learned and heard in the Tower, which confirmed what they had already guessed and heard from Mogdred.

This was still Mogdred's own backyard, and in the end his counsel proved good. They made progress in the day, marching with a quick pace along the flat lands where dead and stunted trees mingled with older, healthier ones that seemed to rise to the skies. The woods were empty and silent: only things that buzzed hounded them, and things that crawled on many feet could be seen if one paused to disturb a rock or a piece of dead wood. But as night fell, and all the light died, the distant howling of wolves could be heard: from the eaves of the forest, where they made their hunting grounds. They paused to rest: they had gone far enough for a day. But their sleep would not prove undisturbed...

OOC

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Day: 1 (out of maybe 7)

Progress: ■■■□□□□□□□

Feature: Rolling on the feature table...

Edit: Dense thicket. May use for next description.

At this point, we could have a nightmare scene. I think having personal posts like that is a great way to explore the psychology of the PCs in a more in-depth manner, so it's good for characterization and stuff. But if you don't feel like it, that's fine too. As we approach Dol Guldur, I think it fits thematically for the PCs to start suffering from nightmares (recurring or not).

Mechanically, waking up simply necessitates a Face Danger move (use whatever stat you want/feels appropriate). To make it a bit more attractive to roll, maybe on a strong hit with a match, some aspect of the mystery will be revealed, allowing us to mark more progress in our quest. I can provide the narrative details if that happens (or we can work something out together).

Name
Feature (Haunted Tanglewood)
1d100 35

spacer.png

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: 1 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 2 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 8]

The distant howls did not let her rest easily. The huntress took first watch, and passed it with spear at hand: she knew that the beasts were not near, but she feared trickery and a sudden assault. In the end, her vigilance was unwarranted, and her time passed without event. But even though her watch was ended, she could not sleep. She tried to close her eyes, but it was not until a good hour later that exhaustion won over, and sleep finally took her.

But despite a strenuous day, it was not the sweet, dreamless oblivion that had visited her on nights prior. Reality bled into her dreams, turning them to nightmares, and her mind conjured up a horde of wolves, black-furred, shaggy, lean from starvation, red-eyed and long-fanged. They were hunting her, and it was hopeless: for they were too many, and they were too quick, and she was lost in this accursed forest, and the deeper she delved, the more she got lost. And her feet were weary: they would not carry her for much longer.

At a clearing she made her last stand. A circle of wolves surrounded her, and they moved closer and closer: an ever-tightening noose. Then, they leapt upon her in great numbers. She slew one, then another, but it mattered little. She felt the bite on her shoulder, where an old injury from an arrow still gave her trouble in bad days, and she woke up.

It was still dark, and all save the look-out were sleeping.

OOC

Let's go with the most straightforward thing-Face Danger +heart for courage.

Edit: A weak hit. Endure Stress (-1 Spirit). Updating stats... done!

Edit 2: Another weak hit. She presses on.

Name
Face Danger
1d6+1 5
Challenge Dice
2d10 5,7
Endure Stress
1d6+2 3
Challenge Dice
2d10 9,1

unknown.png

Mom: 5 (10/2) | Health: 2 | Spirit: 3 | Supply: 5
Tarric

His sleep while Idunn stood first watch was restless and uneasy, leaving him no less tired when he woke up than when he had laid down. As Tarric stood his turn for second watch the heavy feeling did not ebb and he found himself tensely scrutinizing every shadow -- for what, he did not know. There was never anything there but more shadows. Nothing seemed to threaten them at all.

Afterward as he laid back down near Olwinne, it was with the defeated attitude of uselessness -- doubtless he'd still be awake when the sun rose. The Beorning rolled onto his side and...

Blind. Was he blind? He turned his head this way and that, blinked repeatedly, but there was nothing but blackness. He tried to move, and his arms resisted. He could feel no rope or shackles, but they were held in place as firmly as if they'd been sunk into stone.

Stone... As if the thought brought it into being, he suddenly felt rough stone press into his back, the soles of his feet. So he was standing, then. But he still could not see; he still could not move. His breath caught, and when he could inhale again...

Pain. For all he could not see it, it felt like the shadow solidified and poured into his nostrils, down his throat, choking him. Pain blossomed in his torso as he struggled for breath that wouldn't come, feeling the blackness close in on him like a solid thing. He panicked and thrashed what little he could against whatever was holding him. A loud noise sounded, and though he knew that sound, recognized the presence of words; he could not understand them, only that they brought terror even above the fear of suffocation.

Fear -- And suddenly he was moving, running... darkness still clouded his vision, but not completely any longer, and he could see a dim light ahead. The shadow was dragging at his heels, but this was his chance...

OOC/Mechanics

Marked progress on Investigate Dol Guldur per earlier post, cleaned up completed tracks, started Haunted Tanglewood Delve track as per above.

For the nightmare - will also try Face Danger + heart... Weak Hit. Endure Stress (-1 Spirit), Spirit is now 3. Another Weak Hit, so he presses on.

Assets

When you Secure an Advantage or Compel by embodying your wild nature, add +1, and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Strike or Clash by unleashing your rage (decide before rolling), inflict +1 harm on a hit. Then, choose one:
When you Endure Harm in a fight, and your Health is above zero, you may let the pain inflame your wildness (decide before rolling). If you then score a strong hit and choose to embrace the pain, take +momentum equal to your remaining Health. A weak hit counts as a miss.

Wayfinder - (Path)
When you Undertake a Journey, take +1 momentum on a strong hit. If you burn momentum to improve your result, also take +1 momentum after reset.
When you Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by carefully surveying the landscape or scouting ahead, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit.
When you Swear an Iron Vow to safely guide someone on a perilous journey, you may reroll any dice. When you Fulfill Your Vow and mark experience, take +1 experience.

Talisman - (Ritual)
When you fashion a charm, envision it and name the specific person or creature it protects against. Then roll +wits.
------ On a strong it, when the wearer opposes the target through a move, add +2. If a one is rolled on the action die while making a move using the charm, the magic is spent.
------ On a weak hit, as above, but the wearer adds +1 when making a move (instead of +2).
As above, and you may instead fashion a charm which aids the wearer against all supernatural threats, such as mystic rituals or horrors.

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)
When you cloak yourself with the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, take +1 momentum. Then, reroll any dice (one time only) when you make a move by ambushing, hiding, or sneaking. On a weak hit, as above, but the shadows try to lead you astray. You must first Face Danger to find your way.
As above, and you may also travel along the hidden paths of the shadow realms to Undertake a Journey using +shadow (instead of +wits). If you do, Endure Stress (1 stress) and mark progress twice on a strong hit.

Progress

Vow: Investigate Dol Goldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Delve: Haunted Tanglewood (Troublesome)
Bonds:

Completed Vows: Rescue the Missing Hunters (T), Deal with the Spiders (D), Defend the Woodmen (F)
Completed Scenes: Destroy the Spider Nest (F), Convince the Elvenking (D), Defend the Western Walls (T), Secure Hospitality (F)
Completed Combats: Boss Spider (F), Orc Warband (D), Stealthy Orc Infiltrators (T), Dagmar (D)
Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D), To Tyrant Hill (T)

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Face Danger + heart
1d6+3 5
Challenge Dice
9; 2
1d10;1d10 [9]; [9,2]
Endure Stress + heart
1d6+3 2
Challenge Dice for Stress
7; 2
1d10;1d10 [7]; [7,2]

spacer.png

Bróin's sleep is restless all throughout the night, for dark visions seem to cloud his mind...

The gold glitters gently in the firelight as he passes through his treasure vault, Bróin's eyes palely reflecting it as he walks enraptured through the hall. It was his fourth pass through the vault tonight, but it was his gold after all; he had earned it, fought and bled for it, why should he not marvel at it? What business was it to the rest of the world what he did with his wealth?

And what wealth there was! Gold and silver coin, jewels and gems of the most glittering grandeur, and the finest craft from across Rhovanion was locked away here. He walked upon fine woven carpets in from distant Raj, wrapped himself in silks brought in from Pelagir... all around him laid the ripened fruits of his labours over the years.

But soon the glint of gold darkened, then turn fiery. Smoke began to rise around Bróin as flames began to envelop the vault! He turned around in a frenzied panic as the shadows twisted and morphed into a monstrous form poised before him, and by its spread wings and malefic gaze he knew it to be that most ancient of his people's foe - a Dragon.

But when the dragon opened its maw to bathe Bróin in flames, inside the beast's was a face. And it was... his?

OOC

I'm gonna Face Danger using Heart.

I'll Suffer -1 Momentum on that one.

Name
Challenge Dice
10; 9
1d10;1d10 [10]; [10,9]
Face Danger+Heart
1d6+2 3

Time: Morning, seven days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: -1 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 2 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 9]

Morning came, but light did not follow. It would be a good few hours before the sun could manage to climb far enough in the sky for her rays to even begin to pierce through the leafy canopy. Radagast assured them this: and so there was no point in setting out just yet. But since they could not sleep they rose, and they attended to their camp as best they could.

With the wizard's permission, they risked a small fire, and begun to prepare breakfast. Looking at their fellows, it seemed evident that it was not merely the three of them that had their nights haunted with nightmares. Everyone's eyes were sleepless, and even Radagast seemed wearier. A few amongst the company, such as Beran, even alluded to their dark dreams, and some took a small measure of solace on the fact that the place was having the same effect on them.

They would have to go sleepless, or nearly that... but they need not go hungry yet. Evoric prepared food, and he was not as stingy as he had been with their supplies previously, thinking that a hearty meal would not just fill bellies, but lift spirits. At least a little.

Meanwhile, the huntress filled a kettle with water she had brought. She did not need the Brown Wizard's counsel to know to avoid drinking from the murky streams of this place. She readied herbs to brew a tea, and she observed others about the camp as she prepared it. If this was only their first night, how much harder would their journey get?

Tarric went past her, and then Bróin. She offered them a warm drink, and spoke for a little about this or that, hinting about dreams but not going into details. Then she noticed for the most fleeting of moments Tarric wince in pain, or at least that was what she thought. And she remembered what had happened only yesterday.

"Bad business, that. I was worried for a moment that Dagmar would get the better of you. I thought it would go to knives, too-that she wouldn't give up the fight so easily. But you came on top. I hope she learned something from it."

She dug into her pack and retrieved some herbs; placing them in a cup, she poured hot water over them and passed it to the Beorning.

"Here. It will numb the pain a little. I cannot do much for the bruising save to say that it was worth the trouble. I have not seen a fight like that before..."

OOC

Ok, I'll attempt a Heal on Tarric, as we discussed on the Discord. I have no momentum to burn, so it's up to the dice gods... Also, I made some small assumptions about your PCs in this post; I tried to keep it minimal but let me know if I went too far and I can edit it.

We're also travelling with Radagast, and while the game doesn't have any mechanics for "NPC heals you" (except maybe Sojourn), feel free to use him as narrative justification to attempt Secure an Advantage whenever (he can give advice or help in general).

Edit: We just seem not to be able to get a break! Sorry @BlueTrillium! I'll take a momentum hit (-2) for the miss.

If anyone else wants to try, please feel free. Otherwise, maybe someone could Delve the Depths again. Happy to do it also (with Wits). Let's hope for an Opportunity so that we can Make Camp or Sojourn.

Also, feel free to Forge a Bond with the company in case you think it's appropriate (it can also help a bit with the Spirit track).

Name
Heal
1d6+3 3
Challenge Dice
2d10 9,10

spacer.png

(Image credit: Jon Hodgson, Beowulf: Age of Heroes)

Time: Morning, nine days after setting out from Rhosgobel

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: -1 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 2 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 10]

Two days passed, though it was hard to reckon time in these dark woods. Yet Radagast assured them of it. At first, the landscape remained unchanged, and they made their way past black firs that grew tangled and twisted, their branches laden down with strands of old man's beard and black ivy. High above, black-leaved trees with thick boughs stood like pillars raised without rhyme or reason, blotting out sun and moon and stars. And down below, the ground grew marshier, especially on the second day, and their boots sank in the mud with a squelch at each step taken.

The changing terrain made their pace even slower, yet some amongst the company took heart: for it was known that their destination lay in the heart of a vast dead marshland. Perhaps they were drawing nearer? They spoke to the wizard on this matter, but Radagast dashed their hopes: nearer, yes, but it would be a few days still for them to reach it, and it would get worse yet before they had Fenbridge in sight.

Still, spirits held. But the land had other tricks to play. As the second day continued, a thick mist rose to envelop them, shrouding their eyes so that none could see past a few yards ahead of them. The Woodmen knew these mists, and called them reeks or glooms, and thought them cursed, believing them to flow out of Dol Guldur itself, for it was at the centre of these corrupted woods. It was no wonder that they thought the forest haunted here: in the fog, everything looked foul and menacing, and even the most unimaginative minds could conjure ghosts and other evils out of gnarled, skeletal trees.

A lesser company would have halted here, and waited for the gloom to dissipate. For there was little benefit to pushing forward, and great risk of becoming lost. But they had Radagast with them, and he seemed to know even these woods as if by heart, and he knew how to lead them. Idunn remained by him. Deprived of her sight, she now used her wits and her hound's keen nose to aid the wizard, and she gave and received counsel freely as they continued their journey.

OOC

To keep things moving, I'll try to lead with Idunn, attempting to Delve the Depths +wits.

Edit: A miss, and I have no momentum to burn. Ugh. Reveal a danger then. And failure track updated.

Edit 2: Check the theme card... Haunted... Frightening visions. So... more nightmares? Or imagination playing tricks on her in the mist? I'll roll for feature too...

Edit 3: Another dense thicket, so nothing special...

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Day: 3 (out of maybe 7)

Progress: ■■■□□□□□□□

Ok, I'll write up Idunn's frightening visions later, and probably take another Spirit hit... In the meantime, please feel free to post and Delve the Depths if you want!

Name
Delve the Depths
1d6+3 2
Challenge Dice
2d10 6,9
Reveal a danger
1d100 21
Feature
1d100 43

unknown.png

Mom: 9 (10/2) | Health: 4 | Spirit: 5 | Supply: 5
Tarric

Despite their and Radagast's best efforts, travel in this dreary place was wearing upon the party. Tarric appreciated Idunn's attempt to help, and the comment about the fight earned a brief upturn of his lips, but as the hours wore on it felt like this murk had seeped into his bones. He was used to bouncing back relatively quickly, but of late the stiffness of each morning had taken hours to work out of his joints.

Throughout, the Beorning had felt a lingering reluctance to take his bear shape. But now... the gloom. With limited sight and misdirected sound, scent seemed their best route forward. And hopefully, his larger ursine bulk would be easier for the party to see and differentiate from the skeletal wraiths and swirling shrouds the mist sent forth to unnerve them. After a brief consultation with the wizard, Tarric allowed his other self to step forward to help lead them, with all the stealth he could muster.

And for once on this forsaken journey -- everything seemed to fall into place. After several hours padding carefully through the reek, avoiding grasping thorns and treacherous slurping mud, snuffling carefully at every scent that crossed their path, the bear found a safe place just as the sun rode high in the sky and even burned away a bit of the fog. Tumbles of rocks formed a ragged clear area that was solid and free from thorns.

Somehow it was not just a safe place - it was a good place. Here the weight of the journey seemed to temporarily fall away from their hearts and Tarric, at least, felt quite renewed. Brightness seemed to fall across each of his companions' faces as they entered the clearing, and Tarric, once more in human form, welcomed them in with gladness and a tight hug for Olwinne.

OOC/Mechanics

All right, gonna try out an asset I haven't gotten to use yet. Tarric's gonna try to use the obscuring mists and shadow to activate his Shadow-walk ability. Rolling + shadow... Weak Hit. +1 momentum (now 6 momentum) and he can reroll dice on his next sneaky move (hopefully Delve the Depths), but he must first Face Danger to get things moving.

So let's do that - Face Danger + heart, since he's fighting his own reluctance to go forward like this... Strong Hit. Yes! +1 momentum again (now 7) and he's overcome his reluctance, perhaps even gained some confidence in this task.

Therefore... Delve the Depths + shadow (+ option to reroll from Shadow-walk) to make some sneaky forward progress, and... Strong Hit with Match! And he did not use his Shadow-walk reroll, so I believe that leaves it available for a later + shadow move. Mark progress AND Find an Opportunity! Progress on Haunted Tanglewood delve = 6/10 (marked my progress bar).

For the Opportunity... I think in chat we discussed it would allow us to find a good spot to Sojourn, so if everyone's okay with that I'll go ahead and roll that as well - given Tarric has bonds with Idunn, Broin, and Olwinne (as well as his Rhosgobel friends in general) I think I can use that bond for the Sojourn move as well. And... another Strong Hit with Match! So I think that means that as a group, we can pick 3 items from the Sojourn list and we all get those 3 benefits. I am assuming Recuperate (+2 health to everyone - Tarric's health now 4), Consort (+2 spirit to everyone - Tarric's spirit now 5), and Plan (+2 momentum to everyone - Tarric's momentum now 9) and I'll update my tracks accordingly to that, but if we decide differently in chat I'll update to cover the change.

What shall we do for the two matches, though? One match on Delve the Depths, and one match on the Sojourn. xD

Assets

Wayfinder - (Path)

Talisman - (Ritual)

Shadow-walk - (Ritual)

Progress

Vow: Investigate Dol Guldur (Extreme)
Failure:
Delve: Haunted Tanglewood (Troublesome)
Bonds:

Completed Journeys: To Forest Gate (D), To Tyrant Hill (T)

Edited by BlueTrillium (see edit history)
Name
Shadow-walk + shadow
1d6+2 5
Shadow-walk challenge dice
5; 7
1d10;1d10 [5]; [5,7]
Face Danger + heart
1d6+3 3
Face Danger challenge dice
2; 1
1d10;1d10 [2]; [2,1]
Delve the Depths + shadow
1d6+2 3
Delve the Depths challenge dice
4; 4
1d10;1d10 [4]; [4,4]
Sojourn + heart + bond
1d6+4 3
Sojourn challenge dice
4; 4
1d10;1d10 [4]; [4,4]

spacer.pngIdunn of Firienseld [Mom: -2 (10/2) | Health: 5 | Spirit: 0 | Supply: 5 | Uthred: 2 | Band strength: 4 | Fails: 11 | Shaken]

Idunn tried to follow Uthred as best she could through the glooms, but even her hound seemed to suffer here, and at times he looked uncertain or on edge, much like her. Soon she gave up the task entirely, and left it to Tarric, who had assumed again his ursine form-and fared much better. And so she followed, and she kept a look-out: but without the use of her eyes, she had to focus on sounds.

Everything looked sinister behind the misty grey shroud: especially the gnarled old trees, which her imagination and fear turned to foes or giants. But worse still were the sounds: subtle and unknowable, she took them all as heralds of perils. By the end of the day, her nerves were in shambles, and she was so weary that she begun to think that she was now hearing things as well: things that were not there at all, but that her mind conjured out of nothing. How else could she explain that whisper of a familiar voice, now twisted into taunts to torment her?

She did not speak of it to anyone, not even Radagast or her closest companions. She did not want to alarm them, and so she kept it secret. Perhaps it would be cured by rest, though she dreaded sleep after her nightmares. And when against all hope Tarric found a place to camp exceeding all expectations, she was not much gladdened-she only lay down her burdens hastily and sat by the roots of a tall tree, too exhausted to do anything else for many minutes.

OOC

This is my owed Endure Stress (-2 Spirit); I'll add more in-game stuff later, in a new post.

Edit: That's another miss, so I must take a -1 to momentum and mark the Shaken debility. +1 to the failure track. Stats updated!

Haunted Tanglewood

Troublesome Delve

Day: 3 (out of maybe 7)

Progress: ■■■■■■□□□□

Name
Endure Stress
1d6+1 4
Challenge Dice
2d10 6,5