Cantina Blues - Out of Character

Malkavian Grin

Thanks @Malkavian Grin! I'm really excited! How important will skills be? I noticed we've doubled up on a few things and I was thinking about swapping my influence for authority, since Sienn has influence and might be more suited for it.

And hi everyone else!

@Fletcher it seems like there's always been an affinity between Jedi and astro-mechs. Would you want to have some sort of connection?

@Summer Silver I haven't defined anything about my former master yet. If you do want a connection, he could be a Twi'lek you knew before he was murdered by the empire. Otherwise we can just meet in the adventure.

6 hours ago, Summer Silver said:

Hmm at just a glance I'm not seeing any obvious connections for Sienn to have met anyone more than just in passing. Unless anyone else spots something?

Actually seeing as how you like to fiddle with droids, and that Kate has been all over the place, there is a chance that you encountered Kate at one point. Maybe your family was one of her previous owners. And you two just happened to bump into each other on Cloud City and recognized each other. Struck up an old friendship. Maybe Sienn's mean old uncle was the one who took Kate away and sold her for. Either to be mean or for some unknown reason, at least to Sienn. Could be something you could discover during the adventure.

???

Vou might have encountered Jeela as she is searching for herself by trying to help others. She will be wanting to keep a low profile and avoid letting the Empire know of her force abilities so maybe she has been hanging out in some of the lower levels helping down there. In that case she could have run into Vou who showed appreciation for her helping others and then at least struck up an acquaintance if not a friendship.

Again, Vou may have run into Kate in his dealings. Perhaps Kate helped get him out of bad situation and now, from time to time, Vou comes to Kate for a little droid aid when he needs it on one of his little schemes.

As for Kardaask, perhaps they know each other because Vou has sold info to the bounty hunter once or twice to help him remove some of the nastier people on Cloud City.

As for Sienn, a fun way would be Vou knows of her because he scouted her out and either committed some small amount of larceny against her or was preparing to. A fun way of handling this would be he has stolen some small item form her that she values, but is not really worth much to anyone else. She is looking for it when the game starts and either he returns it claiming to have found it or she spots him with it and he has to talk his way out of trouble. Otherwise, if the both know Kate they can meet up through her.

4 hours ago, Draidden said:

As for Kardaask, perhaps they know each other because Vou has sold info to the bounty hunter once or twice to help him remove some of the nastier people on Cloud City.

Likely not, as Kardassk has never been on Cloud City before. He doesn't operate in any single planet or system.

However, he is looking for one Valtar Prane as his current bounty, and it's possible that Vou was pointed out to him as someone he could talk to that might be able to help him find Valtar without having to deal with the Imperial Bureaucracy (who don't like him, cause Trandoshan). They may not know each other, but they at least have a reason to meet up. Events can then lead to them working together, because of course they do.

I'm not seeing other possible connections - Kardassk has never owned a droid, he wouldn't have been chummy with any Senator or their family, and I'd rather Kardassk not be the bounty hunter who took out Jeela's master. That's just asking for unnecessary tension between two PCs at the start.

@Primeval Stasis Anytime you roll, you could potentially be leaning on a Skill. While it doesn't give you a bonus, it enhances your ability to get that thing done. Basically, any time you could use a skill, you should, because it turns a Failure (a roll of 6 or less) into a Close-Call instead.

Thus, I'd say Skills are pretty heckin' important. It might not be a bad idea to spread out your Skills so you have no overlap. But also consider there are times the fiction may split you up for a short time and it turns out you wish two people had the same Skill.

There's no right answer to whether Skill overlap is bad or good. Star Worlds is designed to move fast and somewhat erratically. You never really know how things are going to happen! (I hope that helps!)

Hey everyone 🙂

I guess I had a quick question that Phntm888 sparked: How many of us are 'anchored' in Cloud City and who is more 'just landing'?

Vou sounds like a lifer, and I wrote Kate up like she was more of a fixture (though I suppose she could be adjusted to be "with" someone instead, GM-allowing). Anyone else been here awhile vs recent arrivals?

(An 'amnesia' droid does seem pretty amusing as a jedi's buddy, haha)

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)

Sienn isn't specified specifically to make it easier for the initial scene setup. She probably hasn't been in Cloud City a long time but she could have been there a couple days/weeks already or just be stepping off the ship.

14 hours ago, Primeval Stasis said:

I haven't defined anything about my former master yet. If you do want a connection, he could be a Twi'lek you knew before he was murdered by the empire. Otherwise we can just meet in the adventure.

How long ago would that have likely been? Just asking since while I again didn't give a specific number I imagine Sienn is in her late teens or early twenties so she was probably born either right before or after the founding of the Empire.

Jeela is just landing I think. I haven't figured out what would have brought her to Bespin yet, I guess I should work on that.

3 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

@Primeval Stasis Anytime you roll, you could potentially be leaning on a Skill. While it doesn't give you a bonus, it enhances your ability to get that thing done. Basically, any time you could use a skill, you should, because it turns a Failure (a roll of 6 or less) into a Close-Call instead.

Thus, I'd say Skills are pretty heckin' important. It might not be a bad idea to spread out your Skills so you have no overlap. But also consider there are times the fiction may split you up for a short time and it turns out you wish two people had the same Skill.

There's no right answer to whether Skill overlap is bad or good. Star Worlds is designed to move fast and somewhat erratically. You never really know how things are going to happen! (I hope that helps!)

Makes sense, thanks for explaining! Would you mind me switching things up a little at this point? After thinking about it, I think I like authority a little better for flavor.

36 minutes ago, Summer Silver said:

How long ago would that have likely been? Just asking since while I again didn't give a specific number I imagine Sienn is in her late teens or early twenties so she was probably born either right before or after the founding of the Empire.

Just worked that out. I think he died about 12 years ago.

16 minutes ago, Primeval Stasis said:

Jeela is just landing I think. I haven't figured out what would have brought her to Bespin yet, I guess I should work on that.

Makes sense, thanks for explaining! Would you mind me switching things up a little at this point? After thinking about it, I think I like authority a little better for flavor.

Think of this time as "session 0" where we set everything up. It'll have lots of payoff for a bit of upfront work.

No problem on that; feel free to swap Skills (that goes for anyone if you wanna do some changing).

I can imagine Vou hiring Kate as his door-opener now and again but she has no idea that it might be for nefarious or sneaky purposes. She just knows Cloud City so well (navigation skill!) that she's an invaluable resource :D

Okay everybody, let's decide on any connections you'd like to have--even if it's not defined super well. We can further define them during play. I'd like to get us started within the next couple days. (your connections will help me decide who is where and doing what for the opening scene)

Kardassk is heading to a meeting with Vou, since he was told that was someone who could point him in the right direction for his prey. Vou would know he's meeting a Trandoshan bounty hunter who wants his services.

@Fletcher @Primeval Stasis @Summer Silver Last chance on Sunday to decide on some kind of connection with other PCs. I don't want to force anything onto people that they don't want, but it will make the scenario run smoother if you aren't strangers.

I'll get the game started on Monday. Get ready for some crazy scenes!

1 hour ago, Malkavian Grin said:

@Fletcher @Primeval Stasis @Summer Silver Last chance on Sunday to decide on some kind of connection with other PCs. I don't want to force anything onto people that they don't want, but it will make the scenario run smoother if you aren't strangers.

I'll get the game started on Monday. Get ready for some crazy scenes!

Fletcher and I have something in the works, just haven't written it up properly yet. I'll do that by tomorrow night.