Chapter 1: By the Pricking of my thumb....

Michael

MolgrugMolgrug frowns in Creed's direction.

"Oh, I try not to bother with children if I can help it," he says. "Why, they're quite a nuisance to deal with, and surprisingly fatty. You may say they are a delicacy, but the truth is that they're not good for your diet at all! Why, I knew a fellow... a yagnaloth called Thurzigud, who had a... or, wait, was it him? No, I think it was Malazor - also a yagnaloth, so it's easy to mix them up, you see. In fact they looked quite similar, same sort of dour expression. Well, anyway, what do you know? One day, he just keeled over dead! Turned out he had a heart condition - high cholesterol, you see, all because of his diet! Take my advice, you are what you eat."

He pauses, frowning again.

"Though, now I think about it, I'm not sure that he did actually die," he says, a puzzled look coming over his jackal-face. "No, I think I remember hearing that he was still around, but he'd been demoted to routine patrols around some flyspeck outpost on Oinos... I forget where, though; probably the one with the big spire, what was its name now? I don't suppose any of you are familiar with the military encampments on Oinos?"

Julien.png.88369127214c009f80552c869c095398.pngJulien Male, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Incubus, Sorcerer 1

HP: 9/9 | AC/Touch/FF: 14/13/11 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +2/+3/+1/+1/+0/+6 | F/R/W: +3/+5/+2 | Speed: 30ft

"I haven't been completely stripped of my ability to mislead... though it has been greatly limited. I wouldn't want to put it at risk of being exposed as a cover immediately, we might need it to be able to interact with the natives here to get supplies and such."

Julien scavenges through the material left behind, to find enough to make a sleeveless shirt, that while providing no value as armor, will provide a more socially acceptable form of dress should he have to go and mingle with the natives of which he speaks.

"I believe that the cooperation we started this invasion with is needed even more now that it has gone awry. Are there any that feel they would be better off operating on their own than working together? I, for one, don't feel the roiling in my gut at the prospect that normally came with the idea before we went through that disaster of a gate."

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 1

HP: 11/11 | AC/Touch/FF: 16/12/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+2/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+4/+5 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

"Children aren't so great," Kerapsis murmurs in agreement to Molgrug. "Not as much fun when they can't put up a fight. Not that I'm picky," she concludes, ignoring the health related rambling.

Spreading her wings and feeling how delicate and weak they are, she turns back to the material pile as she picks through the remains to find or form a length of rope to exit the cavern when the time comes.

"Not exactly the traveling companions I'd choose," Kerapsis pauses, mulling over Julien's words, her cruel eyes softening just a fraction, "but I suppose I could see the value of us working together."

OOC & Actions
Scavenges some rope

As the fiends pick through the debris...and at each other...a strange feeling overcomes them, a tightening of the belly, and dryness of throat. Creed has the same feeling, but he's used to it having experienced it all his life. Creatures native to the outer planes have no need to eat or drink. They can do both, but neither are necessary for life.

For most of the party then, it is the first time actually experiencing what they'll sooner or later discover is hunger and thirst.

Prime bound fiend template updated

Brandisher.png.4abccf9766ad79862caaa7976666ebfe.png"Of course..."

Brandisher clutches his stomach, the sudden rumbling of hunger pangs making him slightly uneasy.

"We can just as well kill each other later. Survival is now."

It feels more than a little silly to pick through these scattered pieces of garbage to arm himself - but he does find enough patches of skin to cover himself, and a long piece of sharp metal that is relatively straight and seems to hold an adequate edge to feel welcomingly familiar.

OOC

Brandisher makes some Hide Armor, and what passes for a Greatsword.

MolgrugMolgrug pulls a face, feeling suddenly... well, he's not quite sure what it is, but it isn't good. He pokes around in the scattered remnants of what was probably their former possessions.

"Ugh... hmm... what was I saying, now?" he asks. He clears his throat, which feels a little... dry? "Ah, yes, my boss! Right, pay attention, this is important.

"The point is, that we had three separate groups working on the Gate: contingents each from the Baatezu, the Tanar'ri, and the Yugoloths. Unfortunately, the whole thing was rife with problems! The biggest issue... well, there were many issues, and many of them were rather big, but certainly one of the big issues - perhaps the second- or third-biggest, if not the biggest overall - was the complete lack of structure in the Tanar'ri approach. You see - typical demons - they had no overarching strategy whatsoever for the delivery of their primary objectives, and consequently they rather painted themselves into a corner by getting too down in the weeds before managing to operationalise the fundamentals! Can you imagine?

"Now, I don't know if any of you remember that... if you were on the Baatezu side, you might have thought that they had this covered, because they'd set up a working group to oversee the cross-mission integrations, which one would naturally expect would allow them to synchronise their high-level vision with the workers at the coal-face, as it were. Unfortunately, their delivery strands had become far too stove-piped and really needed a far more holistic approach."

The arcanaloth looks from demon to devil, trying to make sure that everyone is following him.

DESCRIPTION Kaida was once a powerful and beautiful creature. She had sweeping wings, full and strong, and glorious horns! Her body was a powerful killing machine through which poisonous toxins flowed to strike down her enemies with. Her body had been strong and hardy, capable of going toe to toe with devils of much higher ranks than she.

Now she is but a pale echo of what she once was.

She was never a hulking creature and that is still true. Not even reaching two feet in height she is as tiny as ever. Her wings are small, much less muscle supporting their frame, and her tail, as long and sinuous as ever, was tipped by a stinger that was coated in what should have been a vibrantly colored sap-like toxin. Instead it was dull, and watery, quite weak indeed.

Her choice of color is always black and gray when given the option. Sometimes she'll stray from the more "bland" colors to exceedingly dark blues and purples but she does so very rarely. Clothing with folds and hidden pouches or pockets for concealed weapons are always of interest to her and she is rarely without a hooded vest.
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngKaida Reombath Attor
Female, Tiny Outsider (Baatezu, Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful), Imp, Swordsage 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 16/15/12 HP: 10/10 S/D/C/I/W/C: 0/+4/+3/+1/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+6/+5 | Move: 30'
See in Darkness (Su)Kaida, like other devils, can see perfectly in any form of darkness as if it were full daylight.; Tail StingMelee Attack, 10' Reach, 1d4+StrMod, 20/x2

Poison
Fort save DC 16
Dexterity 1 (primary) / Dexterity 1 (secondary)
MA +3, 1d4 (20/x2)
Balance +8, Escape Artist +10, Hide +16, Listen +7, Move Silently +8, Search +5, Spot +7, Survival +7, Tumble +8
Maneuvers: Burning Blade (DW), Counter Charge (SS), Mighty Throw (SS), Shadow Blade Tech. (SH), Child of Shadow (SH, Stance)

From the edge of the cave, looking down at the area below, Kaida listened distractedly to the others discussion. Something caught her eye scuttling across the ground nearby that smelled quite good for some reason. She grabbed it, a plump spider half the size of her hand, and started munching on it immediately, eagerly even. * Makes sense to work together... * * munch * * Not like this place is friendly towards us... * *munch* * Now trusting each other... that might be a bit of a stretch... * The arcanaloth, she'd no idea what their name was, seemed to want to discuss the gate itself for some reason. Kaida looked over at the yugoloth as she began to gather up scraps of material that could be tied together.

"I don't think it matters really, does it? The gate and what caused the problem seems insignificant at this point... although I think we could certainly discuss the event at a more appropriate time." She sat and started tying strips together, strong enough to help support weight but not to actually hold it, after all, they only needed to scale down the rough ascent. "It seems much more prudent, and perhaps urgent, that we, as a group, not only help one another but do so quickly to vacate this place. Its likely that someone or a group of someone's will show up to investigate soon. If we mull about, chatting as if we were having tea, its likely going to be unhealthy for all of us in our weakened conditions."

She actually chuckled a moment despite the aches and pains, as well as the strange, still hollow but not quite as much feeling she had begun to feel in the pit of her belly, "It would be ironic indeed to survive such an enormous event only to find ourselves slaughtered by a group of townsfolk wielding farming implements, would it not? We should chain some of these scraps together and move on quickly."

OoC

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 1

HP: 11/11 | AC/Touch/FF: 16/12/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+2/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+4/+5 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

Wondering where Molgrug is going with his story, Kerapsis feels a pain in her stomach. She feels her mouth watering at Kaida's mention of angry townsfolk. Wouldn't be so bad, but getting caught by a group of them while trapped in this cave might not be ideal.

"I agree," she responded to the imp, as she looked around the rock face for a point to tie off the length of scrap rope she had started forming.

OOC & Actions
Looking for something secure to tie the rope off for descending.

It's a natural cave, more than enough outcroppings and such to tie a makeshift rope to.

I will need 1 climb roll when you descend, let me know if it's other than by rope. The wing gliding mentioned in the Q&A wont start until lvl 2)

JulienAltformElf.png.e23b695772fdd3da8a28989bf43ccec5.pngJulien Male, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Incubus, Sorcerer 1

HP: 9/9 | AC/Touch/FF: 14/13/11 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +2/+3/+1/+1/+0/+6 | F/R/W: +3/+5/+2 | Speed: 30ft

Julien spends a moment in concentration to shift into the form of an elf, dressed in makeshift pants and shirt and cleaned from grime. "How about I go down first... in case there are natives about at the base of the cliff already. I can lead them away to allow the rest to descend safely if that is the case."

He looks about to see if there is enough debris left to make a bit of rope for himself, then moves to start the descent. He realizes as he starts just how skewed the circumstances are, with devils left behind that could possibly cut his rope, not to mention others of the Tanar'ri who might be just as likely... he isn't sure he's extended this much trust... ever.

Name
Climb with potential rope
1d20+2 15

Brandisher.png.4abccf9766ad79862caaa7976666ebfe.png"I'll join you."

Brandisher clambers down the cliffside, carefully but slightly impatiently and without the use of a rope. He wants also to get his bearings on the surrounding area.

Provided he manages to get down safely, at the bottom his newly scavenged possessions slide off his form as it changes into the guise of an old-looking hound.

bbd7abe0fde7135a5f353c21f056325b.jpg.6646896bd9f9fdf6ccc36aae859fa7c0.jpg

Edited by Enkhoffer (see edit history)
Name
Climb (1d20+5)
1d20+5 18

DESCRIPTION Kaida was once a powerful and beautiful creature. She had sweeping wings, full and strong, and glorious horns! Her body was a powerful killing machine through which poisonous toxins flowed to strike down her enemies with. Her body had been strong and hardy, capable of going toe to toe with devils of much higher ranks than she.

Now she is but a pale echo of what she once was.

She was never a hulking creature and that is still true. Not even reaching two feet in height she is as tiny as ever. Her wings are small, much less muscle supporting their frame, and her tail, as long and sinuous as ever, was tipped by a stinger that was coated in what should have been a vibrantly colored sap-like toxin. Instead it was dull, and watery, quite weak indeed.

Her choice of color is always black and gray when given the option. Sometimes she'll stray from the more "bland" colors to exceedingly dark blues and purples but she does so very rarely. Clothing with folds and hidden pouches or pockets for concealed weapons are always of interest to her and she is rarely without a hooded vest.
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngKaida Reombath Attor
Female, Tiny Outsider (Baatezu, Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful), Imp, Swordsage 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 16/15/12 HP: 10/10 S/D/C/I/W/C: 0/+4/+3/+1/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+6/+5 | Move: 30'
See in Darkness (Su)Kaida, like other devils, can see perfectly in any form of darkness as if it were full daylight.; Tail StingMelee Attack, 10' Reach, 1d4+StrMod, 20/x2

Poison
Fort save DC 16
Dexterity 1 (primary) / Dexterity 1 (secondary)
MA +3, 1d4 (20/x2)
Balance +8, Escape Artist +10, Hide +16, Listen +7, Move Silently +8, Search +5, Spot +7, Survival +7, Tumble +8
Maneuvers: Burning Blade (DW), Counter Charge (SS), Mighty Throw (SS), Shadow Blade Tech. (SH), Child of Shadow (SH, Stance)

Kaida wasn't a skilled climber, by any means, but she could use her tail much like an extra hand. She couldn't lift anything heavy with it of course but as a support for climbing it was quite useful and snaking it around small outcroppings was a convenient way to prevent a fall. She'd never actually needed to climb, having always been able to fly before this event. Even so she found that her tiny hands and feet easily found purchase in the rocks. * Actually having to climb... how... mundane... * She gripped the rag-tag rope that had been assembled as she descended, her tiny hands holding onto single strands of the makeshift thing most of the time. The thing was quite tattered and uneven but her mere few pounds of weight was no strain on the material at all and her tail grabbing small outcroppings and wrapped around them for more support as she descended as well.

As she stood at the bottom of the steep rocky incline she looked around, as well as she could. It was awkward, being unable to fly, as it limited her vision immensely. Small environmental details were quite literally taller than she was and she simply couldn't see over them. A nearby clump of weeds was almost twice her height while many of the rocks scattered about were at least as tall as she was. It was as if a normal sized individual stood in the middle of a town, surrounded by buildings, and it made her uncomfortable to say the least.

"What a pain..." She murmured as she looked down at her bare feet. It was frustrating, this situation, even her really cute boots, crafted painstakingly from a number of small fairy skins, were now gone and here she couldn't fly at all. She'd have to walk and knew she'd be unable to keep up with the others on foot. Of course being this small did have some advantages as well. She grabbed a multi-segmented bug as it trundled by and bit into it with relish. It was a new thing, this tasting things and eating them, and she knew that for the others these small morsels would likely be nothing. For her it seemed this world would have an abundance of things she could eat.

She climbed up onto a nearby rock as she munched on the last bits of the centipede. "So which direction first then?" She could at least see over most of the surrounding area from this vantage point, now close to three feet from the ground.

OoC

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)
Name
Climb
1d20+2 12

Molgrug

Molgrug blinks at the imp in consternation.

"Of course it matters!" he splutters. "Didn't I say? This is important! Wait, where are you going?"

He watches as the others begin to leave the cave, aghast.

"Hey! Hey! Wait for me!"

Climb roll added by DM

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
Name
Climb
1d20-1 5

Kerapsis climbs down the rock face, trying not to put more weight on the rope than is necessary, not trusting those around her more than she needs to.

When she gathers herself up, upon reaching the cave mouth, she replies "All that talk of villagers has made my stomach turn. Maybe we could pick off some stragglers around the village for some fuel?"

OOC & Actions
Climbs down
Name
Climb
1d20+4 7

image.png.3b04e7734d8ae67f23ecffd296b9f75e.pngWatching the others begin to leave Creed pauses. They all seemed to want to work together. He smiles wickedly, his fangs seeming to grow slightly longer before he controls himself while pondering what their blood might do for him. Likely nothing he thinks and dismisses the thought.

He takes a bit of time to search through the leftovers, aiming to clothe himself and pick up anything that may be of uselooking for a blade of some kind, clothes, a vessel to carry liquid, a bag and a rope. Anything that could be used to make a fire or anything that could be valuable by those people of the prime plane. As he finishes most of the group were moving down the rope.

He reaches out an pats the Arcanaloth on the shoulder. "We're all ears. But I believe they mean to listen as they walk." With that he takes his bearings and slips down the rope after the group, leaving the Arcanaloth to get down by himself.

Creed stalks through the woods, feeling at ease in the wilderness. It had been a long time since he'd been in an actual forest and though he was but a shadow of his former self, he just felt... good. He began to slip into the shadows as the group moved, kept an eye out for danger, and any valuable herbs, plants as he moved.

Name
Search for items
1d20+3 13
Spot for danger and to view path
1d20+6 4
Climb rope down
1d20+7 15