Chapter 1: By the Pricking of my thumb....

Michael

Most of the assembled party gracefully and or athletically descend the cliff face, the majority with the help of the makeshift rope which, by the end, breaks and disintegrates on its way down. It does so as the hapless arcanalolth, in fear of being the only one listening to his dialogue, realises "climbing" is not his strong suit. As rope goes so goes grip, and the jackal headed creature plummets the last dozen yards to land in an untidy pile at the foot of the cliff. The physical bruises at least heal over the next few minutes.

At ground level the only thing that can be seen is trees ahead (east) and the cliffs behind (west). From the cave was spied some kind of chasm to the south, and some kind of settlement to the east. Of course, the group could decide to strike out randomly. The only stomach not rumbling is Kaida's, the other fiends not taking to spiders as food, or realising just how many they'd have to eat to sate hunger.

The only fiend remotely comfortable in this natural environment is Creed. The other fiends can see he has some experience with trees and dirt.

W0lf: Any blade you like (inferior quality), nothing has survived that will hold liquid, bag is fine, as is a makeshift rope that wont last too many uses.

Molgrug

Landing ignobly on his face, Molgrug gets to his feet and dusts himself off. Whilst everyone else was going on ahead, he's managed to salvage some kind of rustic-looking outfit, which really doesn't suit him.

"Everything is ruined..." he moans miserably. "All my papers and scrolls... ruined!"

He looks at the others.

"We must resupply if we are to achieve our ultimate objective," he says, considering their current predicament. "But first, it is imperative that we understand our situation: where we are, and what resistance we are likely to face. Luckily, I have devised a simple, five-point plan in order to realise that goal."

Julien.png.88369127214c009f80552c869c095398.pngJulien Male, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Incubus, Sorcerer 1

HP: 9/9 | AC/Touch/FF: 14/13/11 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +2/+3/+1/+1/+0/+6 | F/R/W: +3/+5/+2 | Speed: 30ft

Julien takes a moment to get his bearings once down at the bottom of the cliff and takes a look finally towards the East.

"I think I'm going to go with a one point plan, find some food. I've had to fake my way through putting together enough romantic picnics that I should be able to pick out something that's edible."

He takes a long moment to look over the rest of the decidedly motley crew that's survived the gate, a far cry from the quite larger host that started out.

"Although, maybe we should head towards that settlement we could see in the distance, perhaps take some livestock or some... vegetables... from a farm on the edge. As mighty as we once were, I'm not spoiling for the first acts of conquest in this invasion until after some lunch."

Molgrug

"Yes, well, food is all well and good..." Molgrug begins... but trails off. He frowns. "Strangely, I do have an odd desire to eat something. I suppose there's no harm in finding a light snack whilst we discuss our next steps..."

There's a pause as he considers the proposition, then shakes his head.

"Even so, it's fair to say that our capabilities are somewhat diminished," he adds. "An unintended consequence, I believe, of factors which I was trying to explain to you... and we still do not know exactly where we have arrived. This... strange arboreal location... certainly wasn't detailed in any of the pre-invasion strategy meetings!"

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 1

HP: 11/11 | AC/Touch/FF: 16/12/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+2/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+4/+5 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

"I could do with getting something to eat." Kerapsis turns to Molgrug and adds, "Do you think all of us who entered the gate arrived in the same spot, or could there be other survivors scattered somewhere? Perhaps we could scout the area after we get some sustenance."

OOC & Actions
N/A

image.png.3b04e7734d8ae67f23ecffd296b9f75e.pngCreed lopes along beside the others, speaking to Molgrug but keeping his eyes tracking their surroundings for any trace of creatures passing through. "Then what do you think happened? And where are we? I feel like the failure drained those passing through and we were the only beings strong enough to survive"

Taking the lead, he aims for the closest settlement. Food in whatever capacity is best, otherwise we might all give in to our base instincts. The feeling of being on the Prime and in a forest was, liberating.

Name
Knowledge (Nature)
1d20+7 18
Survival
1d20+4 13

MolgrugMolgrug listens to Creed's theory, nodding encouragingly.

"Well, it is hard to say, if any others survived, where they might be, particularly given that we do not even know where we are ourselves!" He says, in reply to the... vrock? Bedraggled and weakened as they are, Molgrug rather thinks that Kerapsis looks more like an angry pigeon than one of the Abyss' most feared warriors. "Indeed, as I am sure you all recall, there was quite the army assembled ready for this invasion! Why, I have never seen such an army in my entire life, and I have seen some armies - but of course, never before now have demons, devils and yugoloths all worked together for a common evil. Why, it was quite a logistical challenge, I can tell you. As I was telling you before, I was involved in the invasion planning - perhaps some of you were too, in your respective areas - although I was primarily overseeing the construction of the Gate itself, you know, high-level design plans, requisition and procurement of raw materials, fiendish resources - that is to say, personnel - that sort of thing. There is actually quite a lot involved in such a project, I'll have you know! Why, there would be at the best of times, not to mention when trying to divide the work between not two but three independent parties, particularly when two of them have previously been at war for millennia!"

He eyes the others, hoping that the magnitude of what he's saying isn't lost on them. Frowning, he continues.

"Anyway, uh... where was I?" he asks uncertainly. "Ah, yes, logistics! No, I wasn't directly involved, but I know of course from my colleagues just what a feat it was to assemble such a force! Of course we had multiple generals to deal with, Baatezu, Tanar'ri and Yugoloth, some of yourselves included, perhaps? There were several archdevils of course who wanted to be involved and carve up a slice of the Material Plane for themselves, and just as many demon lords, though frankly - between you and me - I wonder how many of them simply wanted to join in the action. A very bloodthirsty lot, they are, and riddled with a terrible fear of missing out. Why, I once knew a rather powerful demon by the name of Thramaxar who would turn up at any party just so long as you didn't invite him! Hmm... actually, Thramaxar was probably the one who used to raid parties and kill everyone, now that I think about it. I'm probably thinking of Talaxos. Anyway... yes, top devils, elite demons, and of course plenty of yugoloths too, arcanaloth and ultraloths galore, each with their own squad of nycoloth shock troopers and yagnaloth muscle, hoards of mezzoloths and dhergoloths, and almost as many minor yugoloths - voors and canoloths, that sort of thing - as the devils had lemures and the demons had dretches! And there were a lot of lemures, I can tell you! Just trying to find enough space to put the Heavens-blessed things was a task in its own right!"

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Julien.png.88369127214c009f80552c869c095398.pngJulien Male, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Incubus, Sorcerer 1

HP: 9/9 | AC/Touch/FF: 14/13/11 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +2/+3/+1/+1/+0/+6 | F/R/W: +3/+5/+2 | Speed: 30ft

"You must have been quite mighty yourself." Julien aims at the archanaloth.

Otherwise someone would have disintegrated you eons ago.

In his own spirit of cooperation, Julien manages to suppress the second half into just a thought bouncing through his head. He turns and falls in with Creed, letting someone willing to display competence take the lead and letting his own lack of woodscraft be hidden away.

"Not to invite another discourse on naming conventions in your home plane, but do you have a name by which we can address you?" He uses instead to try to keep his lips from adding voice to the more biting thought.

The fiendish group amble loudly through the forest, with Molgrug's unceasing monologue on the minutiae of the gate logistics filling in any quite gaps in their progress, so it is no surprise that there is no surprise when a group of men suddenly leap out of the underbrush. The cries of "halt" and "give us all yer stuff" kind of die on their lips as they see for the first time what group it is they have "ambushed".

They are an unkempt group, more beggars that thieves, their equipment no better than yours...though movement in the denseer copses of trees suggest their may be more of them. They point their rusty swords and fire hardened spears in your direction, trepidation increasing as they take in your forms. One of the bandits splutters out

What in the name of the dragon below are you?

Note: roll20 map updated. bandit leader is tinted red, for those that cannot see him he is somewhere south of Kaida. Not quite in combat yet, bandits clearly taken aback. If anyone wishes to initiate combat they may do so. Regardless please include an initiative in next post, and since we are almost in combat 1 post each for this "round". Also. I have assumed to this point you are conversion in abyssal or infernal. The bandits speak common.

image.png.3b04e7734d8ae67f23ecffd296b9f75e.pngCreed looks up from the surroundings for the briefest of moments and quirks an eyebrow at the Incubus. "You asked before. I replied with Creed and you named yourself Julien." Pausing mid step before stepping forward again his lips match his eyebrows as he smirks slightly. "There's not two of you in there is there?" He jests, indicating Juliens head.

As the bandit speaks, Creed looks up to the surroundings and curses his inattention. I used to be so much better in the wilderness. How could I have lost so much...

He turns to take stock of the ambush. Then grins fiercely. He speaks to the leader yet keeps his eyes hungrily on the man in front of him. "I think you've bitten off more than you can chew human. Today might be a very bad day for you..." As Creed speaks, his features become more feral and his claws seem to elongate and he leaps at the man to the right of him, putting him between Creed and the other bandits.

Actions

Shift as a free action

Charge man in to the right

Attack with both claws as per Razorclaw Elite

• first attack is a touch attack to grab the man
  • second attack is to pin the man and drain. If attack one misses, he will try again with attack two.

Name
Touch Attack, +2 for charge
1d20+8 12
If this hits, Grapple
1d20+14 3
If this is won, Pin attempt
1d20+9 19
If pin is achieved, Con Drain
1d4 2
If attack one misses, Touch Attack
1d20+8 8
If this hits, Grapple
1d20+14 17
Initiative
1d20+2 18

Creed has initiated combat. This post has the bandit init.

Post a placeholder post,

add an init die,

if your init better than or equal to bandit, edit post and include combat action

if your init worse than bandit, wait till after their turn.

Name
Bandit init
1d20+1 11

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 1

HP: 10/11 | AC/Touch/FF: 16/12/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+2/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+4/+5 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

The bandits' arrows fly at Kerapsis, one breaking on her hide, the other making minor contact embedding itself in her. No major injuries, but she grimaces at the discovery that even these inferior weapons can pierce her hide. Her eyes lit up with hunger and cruel intent, Kerapsis lunges towards one of the bandits, claw slashing at them.

Actions

Moves south to engage bandit in melee.

Claw attack on bandit.

Edited by Polyphemus (see edit history)
Name
Init
1d20+2 3
Claw attack
9; 7
1d20+5; 1d6+4 [4]; [4,3]

Julien just looks about at the hapless bandits. Well, perhaps not completely hapless, as they have weapons of at least the same quality as everyone else has put together.

"Oh, not you Creed, I was talking to fuzz face when these humans interrupted us. Not very nice of them..."

And with a gesture and a phrase he flicks his fingers south towards what he is assuming is the leader, or perhaps the spokesperson for having made demands of him, then looking just a little surprised at just the single hurling missile that streaks out to strike the leader instead of the handful he vaguely recalls being the norm.

That was a disappointment

Action

Casting Magic Missile, targeting the bandit 35ft south (and slightly west) of Julien's current position, turning to face that direction as he does so.

Name
Initiative
SyntaxError: Unexpected token s20
1s20+3
Initiative, for real
1d20+3 17
Magic Missile Damage
1d4+1 4

DESCRIPTION Kaida was once a powerful and beautiful creature. She had sweeping wings, full and strong, and glorious horns! Her body was a powerful killing machine through which poisonous toxins flowed to strike down her enemies with. Her body had been strong and hardy, capable of going toe to toe with devils of much higher ranks than she.

Now she is but a pale echo of what she once was.

She was never a hulking creature and that is still true. Not even reaching two feet in height she is as tiny as ever. Her wings are small, much less muscle supporting their frame, and her tail, as long and sinuous as ever, was tipped by a stinger that was coated in what should have been a vibrantly colored sap-like toxin. Instead it was dull, and watery, quite weak indeed.

Her choice of color is always black and gray when given the option. Sometimes she'll stray from the more "bland" colors to exceedingly dark blues and purples but she does so very rarely. Clothing with folds and hidden pouches or pockets for concealed weapons are always of interest to her and she is rarely without a hooded vest.
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngKaida Reombath Attor
Female, Tiny Outsider (Baatezu, Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful), Imp, Swordsage 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 16/15/12 HP: 10/10 S/D/C/I/W/C: 0/+4/+3/+1/+3/+0 F/R/W: +5/+6/+5 Move: 30' Init: +5
See in Darkness (Su)Kaida, like other devils, can see perfectly in any form of darkness as if it were full daylight.; Tail StingMelee Attack, 10' Reach, 1d4+StrMod, 20/x2

Poison
Fort save DC 16
Dexterity 1 (primary) / Dexterity 1 (secondary)
MA +3, 1d4+Poison (20/x2); Concealment 20% vs. Ranged and Melee
Balance +8, Escape Artist +10, Hide +16, Listen +7, Move Silently +8, Search +5, Spot +7, Survival +7, Tumble +8
Maneuvers: Burning Blade (DW), Counter Charge (SS), Mighty Throw (SS),
Shadow Blade Tech. (SH)Shadow Hand Strike 1; Supernatural
Standard action melee attack vs. 1 target

You create a mystical double of your attack and roll two d20's for your attack vs. the target. Select the roll you want to use. If its the higher one its a normal attack. If you use the lower attack (or if both rolls are the same result) and the attack hits then you deal an extra 1d6 points of cold damage as both strikes hit.
, Child of Shadow (SH, Stance)Shadow Hand 1 Stance; Supernatural

If you move at least 10' during your turn you gain concealment against all melee and ranged attacks until the start of your next turn as well as the standard benefits of concealment. This cannot be used to hide in any form, you still need some other terrain feature that would normally allow you to use the Hide skill.

Being wounded, at all, by a simple arrow, or even hit by one from creatures such as these truly astonished Kaida. So much had changed. So much weakness. * This will simply not do... *

She moved towards one of the few bandits she could see, the shadows around her clung and shifted like a loose cloud of particles keeping her tiny form concealed even as she moved. The lack of flight, and with it the reduction of mobility was as frustrating as all the rest of it and her tail whipped about with her frustration even as she moved.

Then, suddenly, there seemed to be another tail for a moment as they both darted forward at the attacking humanoid. Barely visible as a blur in the air they both struck at them. "We have little... and you have things to give us..." Her small pale face barely visible to the bandits within the shadows roiling about her.

OoC

Summary: Move and use a maneuver against the nearby bandit.

Full Round: ---
Move: N-NE in Roll20
Standard: Shadow Blade Tech attack vs. Bandit to the NE (mechanics in an OoC in the stat block at the top of the post)
Swift: ---
Immediate: ---
5' Step: ---

Current Effects:

Concealment 20% from all ranged and melee attacks (until the start of her next turn); Child of Shadows Stance

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+5 5
Shadow Blade Technique Attack
repeat(1d20,2) 12,12
Sting Damage
1d4 4
Cold Damage
1d6 6

Molgrug

Molgrug is about to reply in a similar fashion as Creed, albeit no doubt more loquaciously, when the humans pop up.

"Ah, these must be specimens of the local population," he remarks, intrigued. "Good day, peasants! As you can see, we are otherworldly travellers not native to your plane. We have come here to... well, to conquer and subjugate the general populace. Indeed, as you can see from my colleague here-- Creed! Don't kill them already! We hadn't even finished introductions!"

Actions

12 with a +2 modifier beats 12 with a +1.. but I, uh, really don't have very much to do, unless anyone wants any scrolls deciphering mid-combat or something. So... just ready an action to bite anyone who comes within melee range?

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 9/9 [B]AC:[/B] 16, [B]Touch:[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 14 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, Init: +2
HP: 9/9
AC: 16, Touch: 12, Flat-footed: 14
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison)
Special: None

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+2 10