Character Build OOC

Rakle

Could I use the original version of the Scarred Witch Doctor archetype for the Witch - the one that uses Con as their casting modifier - instead of the "updated" version that's basically just a worse version of the Witch?

I have a half-orc Shaman from one of my previous failed Mummy's Mask games that the Scarred Witch Doctor would work well for, not changing any of her shamanic flavor but switching to an arcane class, but Paizo's update to the archetype ruined it.

1 hour ago, r0llcage said:

Could I use the original version of the Scarred Witch Doctor archetype for the Witch - the one that uses Con as their casting modifier - instead of the "updated" version that's basically just a worse version of the Witch?

I have a half-orc Shaman from one of my previous failed Mummy's Mask games that the Scarred Witch Doctor would work well for, not changing any of her shamanic flavor but switching to an arcane class, but Paizo's update to the archetype ruined it.

That's fine. I would get the app completed quickly since we have several completed apps.

Edited by Rakle (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rhallan said:

Working on a couple of character concepts, will get something up and completed today or tomorrow. However, one build leans to using a feat that I figure I should ask about first. Is the Sacred Geometry, and later the Calculated Mind feats be allowed?

The build rules explicitly call out Sacred Geometry as a banned feat: "Leadership, sacred geometry and other very broken feats and abilities will not be allowed" (emphasis mine).

3 hours ago, jkason said:

The build rules explicitly call out Sacred Geometry as a banned feat: "Leadership, sacred geometry and other very broken feats and abilities will not be allowed" (emphasis mine).

Oops! I knew I would miss something. Stupid question. Thanks you for pointing that out!

As spellcasters, make sure to have a few more strong offensive spells, especially against undead or things vulnerable to fire or other undeady things. Not everything we fight will be undead, but that's a good chunk of what was faced in my past experience. Don't gimp yourself lol.

13 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

As spellcasters, make sure to have a few more strong offensive spells, especially against undead or things vulnerable to fire or other undeady things. Not everything we fight will be undead, but that's a good chunk of what was faced in my past experience. Don't gimp yourself lol.

I've never played this AP or a shadow mage, but in making this character, I've learned that shadow magic has some really awesome versatility.

2 hours ago, Eborne1 said:

I've never played this AP or a shadow mage, but in making this character, I've learned that shadow magic has some really awesome versatility.

Illusion Magic is either the strongest or weakest school in the game, depending on the GM.

5 hours ago, r0llcage said:

Illusion Magic is either the strongest or weakest school in the game, depending on the GM.

I wouldn't say it's ever the strongest, personally. But, yes, I presume you're referring to the "if they interact" line, which mostly pertains to figments. Much of shadow magic forces characters to interact because it mimics a damage spell or conjuration. But in terms of figments, like silent image, I think a lot of the power of the spell has to do with the creativity of the player. I like those spells for that reason. And they can be wildly useful. But yes, a GM can basically negate the entire spell by a strange nuanced interpretation of the definition, though, in my experience, they usually don't go that route.