Chapter 1: Orientation, Day 1

hoverfrog

Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: The Perquesite

Magaambya

Ojofiri ChickenYou wander around looking for the Kafesi Market, hoping to spot the colourful umbrellas that protect the stalls and tables from the rains. It takes two hours and leaves you with damp and tires feet but eventually you find where they have set up today. It is in the far west end of Nantambu, half an hour from the Magaambya. The old proverb of "You never know a line is zigzag until you put a straight line against it" comes to mind as you finally arrive.

Asking around you locate someone who shrugs when asked about the Ojofiri chicks and directs you to a livestock trader called Seydou.

Seydou is a human man with a short, gray tunic and white‑blue paint all over his body. When you approach he smiles avariciously, obviously keen on selling something to these new customers, "My friends, you looks prepared to buy something. What are you looking for? Chameleon lizards? Oh no, I see you are after eggs from a fish eagle to raise from hatching, or is it hyena cubs that you are looking for? Tell me friends, what can I sell you?"

Behind him are crates and cages stacked ten high, balanced precariously on top of each other. Inside these cages are all sorts of animals, mundane and exotic. A tank of bright blue frogs threatens to topple over into a cage packed with masu, small, red furred pandas.

OOC Scene Notes

The dormitory map is in the spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

Alandri Malfore  

EXPERIENCE TRACKER

180xp from the aptitude tests.

Show Active Map

image.png.5365088fba56b64a6bc26be3f673dd59.png

spacer.pngSilas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet

AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4

Silas follows along with the group, staying silent but wearing an obvious bemused expression as he soaks in the aura of the various and sundry booths and barkers. He loved it; this was where the magic truly was for Silas, unique among the Foljets. A thing was just, well, a thing until it passed through sapient hands and touched the essence of life. Silas mused that in a bazaar such as this, any number of seemingly innocuous objects could one day become key to strange power. A trinket, a utensil, even the coin used to pay for it.

He felt hungry.

~

Coming upon Seydou, Silas' daydreaming is cut short when he notices the many caged animals. His nose wrinkles in an expression of disgust - the smell was a potent mix, to keep things family-friendly - and perhaps a bit of sympathy. There were those that saw his own kind as the perfect 'exotic companion,' and Silas himself found the whole idea of pets a bit unhygienic. One shouldn't play with one's food.

Largely ignoring the stinky man's prattle, Silas clears his throat and raises his eyebrows forcefully towards Alandri, getting the absolute most out of his new whispering trick that he could.

Cough. All yours, buddy. Cough.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Edited by The Foiler (see edit history)

Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application SheetThandeka Sun-Steel

AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7

As Silas and the others look around Seydou's stall at the various crates and cages -- chameleon lizards, fish eagle hatchlings, hyena cubs, blue frogs, masu -- the young priestess searches through the merchant's menagerie for the valuable Ojofiri chickens. She focuses all her attention on any clue -- or cluck -- that might prove relevant.

But wait? What was that?

"Lilly! Kaikara! I think I've found something! Look! Look!"

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:  n/a

Action: n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Main Hand: Open (Scimitar in sheath.)
Off Hand: Wooden Shield

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3:

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3:

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3:

Action: Searches for Ojofiri chickens amongst Seydou's wares.

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3:

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)
Name
PERCEPTION (Search for Ojofiri Chickens)
1d20+7 20

spacer.png Alandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

Going to roll fortitude. (edit: oh boy rolled a 6. Ill update this post sometime this weekend. I just got back from vacation and I am mad preparing for an event booth for today. So if I dont get it done Saturday definitely Sunday.)

Alandri loved going to the market. It always brought back fond memories of when he was a child and going to the market with his mother. This nostalgia was brought on by all of the wide variety of scents that filled his nostrils. The cinnamon and honey baked goods, the lavender candles, an array of fresh herbs. It was a wonderful taste of home, a home he was no longer welcome at. To take it in as much as possible Alandri closed his eyes and took in a deep inhale to capture as much of the market and subsequently his nostalgia as he could.

Cough. All yours, buddy. Cough.

Just the person he wanted speaking in his head.

*groan* Now it seams I have to hear your irritable voice in my head as well. Its ok leave it al......

The wall of animal stench was not something Alandri was prepared for. If the rest of the market was beautiful blend of sweet and savory scents, then Seydou's stall was opposite version of animal feces, piss, and vomit.

Alandri's body couldn't handle it. Without his consent his stomach convulsed and the pastry he bought before coming here was now swishing around in his closed mouth. The sorcerer puts up a hand to the group conveying the universal sign of wait and goes around a corner out of sight. He returns looking a little flushed and gives a weak smile.

"Well that was embarrassing."

Seeing the shop keeper, Alandri puts on his game face and his teeth sparkle just a little bit less this time as he says, "Ah yes. These people here are my oh so humble servants" Alandri looks back at Silas and gives him a knowing smirk as he continues. "I am on an errand for my baby sister who is having a birthday party and I need the perfect gift. It has to be something small and cute." He brings his hands in close to gesture something small. "So some sort of baby and oh yes she wanted it to be a bird and you know something that wont fly away later. Oh and colorful. Do you have something like that?"

Mechanics

Edited by MinjaMan (see edit history)
Name
Fortitude Save (Keeping it in)
1d20+3 3
Deception
1d20+7 17

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

She favors black and gray clothing colors.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz
Female, Neutral Good, Fleshwarp (Created), Witch 1

AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

Lilly had briefly taken Thandeka's hand and nodded. "Good morning Thandeka. Did you sleep well? Now what about this market place we're heading to?... And we're really supposed to find chickens? I love chickens." The young girls' questions all but tumbled over one another until she became quite serious about chickens. Open markets with vendors and lots and lots of things to look at, all sorts of different wares definitely were exciting for Lilly. "We had lots of chickens but I had a favorite chicken, she was gray and had the prettiest streak of green feathers. Father had said it was unusual and that she was a very special lady amongst all the hens..." Her voice grew calmer and more focused. "Sorry, I sometimes get a bit carried away... with the good memories you know." She blushed and started looking about with the others, more on track with their goal.

The animal smells weren't by any means something new to Lilly. Not in the least. They didn't bother her at all either as she'd grown up with them, working with them, milking cows almost before she could walk, mucking out stalls with her family, all sorts of work on the farm. This was just like being back there and she felt right at home. She actually had to stifle a giggle when she noticed Alandri all but turning green. She'd seen a city fellow once traveling through town that had looked like that when he'd all but stumbled into the midden on the side of one of the barns and his face had looked much the same. Still, she didn't want to make it worse for him and she sealed her face for a moment to keep her amusement quiet. Thandeka had grown quite sure that she'd found what they were looking for and it couldn't have come at a more opportune time. Lilly immediately look to where her friend, at least she hoped they were friends, was directing everyone.

OoC

Summary: ???

Reaction: ??
Action 1: ???
Action 2: ???
Action 3: ???

Offenses (Attack +6):
Dagger (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10', Versatile S)
Throwing Knife (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 20')

Spells (Attack +7, DC 17):
Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
spacer.png (--; --; 30'; --; Targets 1 unattended object of light Bulk or less)
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)
??? spacer.png (--; --; --; --; --)

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

AC: 18 | HIT POINTS: 21 | CURRENT: 21 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +6 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +5 | PERCEPTION: +7

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.

Kaikara entered the stall, ducking as she did so to ensure that she wouldn't knock something over, she was immediately assailed by the pungent, humid air, it reminded her of the stables she had to much when in the Matanji, rhinoceri were temperamental beasts, massive and plodding, but her brethren preferred them to horses for their massive size, horns, and armor-like hide. She paused a moment as her companions spoke, when Thandeka mentioned she had found something, the orkish woman smiled, a toothy, tooth-filled smile. "Careful, the brightly colored ones are likely toxic, in nature, frogs typically hide from their predators, if they are brightly colored it is because they had evolved with a different defense, typically either toxicity, or emulating the coloration of their more toxic cousins. One should be careful." The antics between Foljet and Malfore made her raise an eyebrow, but she was reminded of her role, and stood resolutely as a warrior, hired to protect the young merchant-prince on his errand to the market.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Chapter 1: The Perquesite

Magaambya

Ojofiri ChickenSeydou smiles broadly, rubbing his hands together in the universal merchant's sign that he's about to make money from someone, "My friends, I have just the chicks you need."

He moves a crate and then uses it as a step to reach a higher crate. Dislodging it, somehow without bringing the whole thing down in his head, he shows you two chicks with grey‑black feathers and white underbellies, "Here you go, bright chickens. Lovely colours, see. Not toxic, I can assure you. Very healthy."

They could be Ojofiri chicks, though he doesn't hand them over you can see the pair quite well.

Thandeka can see that the birds don't quite have the distinctive pattern that was described to you. Ojofiri chickens as small fowl with white faces, dark blue feathers, and lavender combs; chicks should have dark blue feathers with a white underbelly. These birds have grey-black feathers rather than blue. Perhaps they are cousins of the Ojofiri or their plumage is just darker for these two.

"Your sister will love these birds, yes?" Seydou smiles again, "You want both birds, yes?"

"Maybe you should get a pet too. For your sickness? Your friend is right about toxins on some frogs but other frogs cure you? I have tree frogs who will cure your ills if you handle them every day. I promise. Seydou swears on it."

OOC Scene Notes

We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

EXPERIENCE TRACKER

Show Active Map

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

She favors black and gray clothing colors.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz
Female, Neutral Good, Fleshwarp (Created), Witch 1

AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

Lilly reaches forward and prods at the featherline looking at the colors and studies the chicks clinically. "I'm unfamiliar with the Ojofiri but.... I don't think these are the birds we are looking for." She flushes a bit, having put herself in the midst of the situation, but clears her throat and continues. "Having worked with a lot of chickens you get to know a birds traits, I guess something useful I did pick up from growing up on the farm. See here, she prods one of them, this is clearly not the right plumage. Sometimes the young will have different color patterns but usually you can see some hint of what they will be. These don't have any feather mottling." She shrugged and looked up at the merchant almost apologetically. "They are fine birds though sir..." She let her voice trail off, not quite as certain of herself, uncomfortable with being up front and in the middle of things. After all, perhaps she was wrong about this.

OoC

Summary: ???

Reaction: ??
Action 1: ???
Action 2: ???
Action 3: ???

Offenses (Attack +6):
Dagger (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10', Versatile S)
Throwing Knife (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 20')

Spells (Attack +7, DC 17):
Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
spacer.png (--; --; 30'; --; Targets 1 unattended object of light Bulk or less)
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)
??? spacer.png (--; --; --; --; --)

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)
Name
Lore: Farming
1d20+7 10

Thandeka pulls out her handkerchief to try to wipe away the expelled remains of the elf's breakfast before she suddenly gets the drift of what the now not-so-handsome young sorcerer was doing. "Oh! Ah, yes, MASTER Alandri. Ah, your... sister. Yes. Ah, well, I must agree with Lilly. I do not believe that these would be suitable. I believe that she wanted some sort of small fowl with white faces, dark blue feathers, and lavender combs. These birds have grey-black feathers rather than blue. Maybe there might be some others around here...?" The priestess couldn't -- wouldn't -- lie, but perhaps she could aid Alandri's deception without violating her personal code.

Mechanics/OOC

Action 1: 

Action 2: 

Action 3:

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

“No frogs, just those bird chicken things.” Alandri says gesturing towards Thandeka. “You see this is why you keep your servants around. They know all of your sister’s weird asks better than I do. So do you have any of those strange chickens that they described? Clearly these are not the right ones.”

Alandri makes this last statement giving Seydou a withering displeased look. Affronted that he was given the wrong chicken.

“Give me what my servants just described. I am not one to cross. If you do not bring me these chickens then my servants here will know.”

Alandri gives a look around and adds in, “and while you are at it clean this place up or at least use some perfume of some kind. The smell is awful here.”

Mechanics

Chapter 1: The Perquisite

Magaambya

Ojofiri ChickenSeydou latches onto the word, Ojofiri, "Yes, yes, these are Ojofiri chicks, very popular, very rare. I sell both to you. Twenty silver each. That's good value for such rare birds. Very good value." If Alandri were to buy these birds then he could probably haggle him down although it does appear that they aren't the birds you want.

"You'll find no other Ojofiri chicks in the market. Not from that scoundrel, Makena, or any other merchant." Very quickly he clasps his hands over his mouth, "I mean, these are the only Ojofiri chicks in the Kafesi market."

OOC Scene Notes

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

EXPERIENCE TRACKER

Show Active Map

Thandeka quickly notes the name that the excitable merchant let slip. Then she turns to passerby and asks, "Excuse me, but can you help me find the stand of Makena? I would greatly appreciate any help that you could provide."

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action: n/a

Action: Asks for directions to Makena's stall.

Bonus Action: n/a

Main Hand: Open (Scimitar in sheath.)
Off Hand: Wooden Shield

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Name
DIPLOMACY (Gather Information)
1d20+5 16

Alandri pulls Silas over to him shoulder to shoulder as he addresses Seydou again. “You see Seydou, this catfolk servant of mine is my most loyal servant and he has a very discerning eye. My servants here know better what my sister wants. If you can produce in front of him or any of my other most loyal servants” Gives Silas a meaningful look. “These special chickens for my sister to their satisfaction then you can get paid handsomely. Otherwise, ill make sure your name is known among my circles to never shop at Seydou’s again.”

Mechanics

Name
Intimidation
1d20+7 9

Chapter 1: The Perquisite

Magaambya

Ojofiri ChickenSeydou seems about to refuse Thandeka or at least make one final attempt to get the group to buy something in exchange for information when Alandri threatens him, "Fine, fine, go and bother Makena. I have paying customers who you are holding up."

There don't appear to be any customers waiting to the merchant, paying or otherwise, but he quickly gives you directions to the very opposite end of the Kafesi market. It would seem that you approached the market from the wrong direction otherwise you'd have stumbled on Makena first.

Seydou gives Silas a filthy look as you all depart to wind your way through the wandering market until you reach Makena. Quite what the catfolk has done to deserve that is anyone's guess though perhaps being the most loyal servant of a man who threatened him had something to do with it.

Makena is a stern‑faced woman with her head shaved bald and huge hoop earrings through her ears. Her wares, chickens of all kinds, are on display from the back of a wide wagon. A shaven headed child stands on the wagon, passing crates to her on her request. When you tell her what you are looking for she nods, "Yes, yes, I do have those birds, very rare, difficult to raise. Very expensive."

She clicks her fingers at the child who passes down a crate. While you examine them a very fat dwarf interrupts and buys one of the birds. There are five left in the crate, "I want four gold for each one."

OOC Scene Notes

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

EXPERIENCE TRACKER

Show Active Map

spacer.pngSilas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet

AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4

"Done. Take care of that, would you, Jeeves? I wish to retire homewards before lunch."

Silas, speaking curtly and with an air of disinterest, directed the second half of his remark towards Alandri with a vague fiddly gesture of the fingers, barely turning his head back to look at Malfore. It was no feat to come off as a haughty, privileged aristocrat who viewed his time and whim as more important than any cost - objectively speaking, that's what Silas is. Natural as the moisturized and stylishly waxed whiskers on his face.

Turning away from Makena, and displaying a fanged grin to the rest, Silas made a show of very closely examining his nails in a way that communicated an entitled sort of impatience.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Edited by The Foiler (see edit history)