Event Feeedback/Ideas

Eric

It was nice meeting everyone for the first time. As a new attendee I came in not knowing what to expect and I'm happy I made it out this year. Knowing more of what to expect I can see some potential with adding into the event some things around the city some people can do together when not associated into one of the scheduled games. Badges/Tags with Usernames would be a plus for new people.

If I didn't feel so ill Saturday I might have had more but I couldn't shake off what was going on til I slept.

Edited by LaRoche (see edit history)

Time slot organization needs to get better if we get more people. I think part of what happens is some DMs wait to see how many people and how many other games as we try not to step on each other's toes. If instead, we start earlier, only allow 1 per timeslot until there are enough participants to warrant more, and have some managing the clock as well.

I didn't run any games nor did I play in any games. Would do it again. 10/10.

Seriously though, The venue continues to be the right size for our needs as does the onsite drink options (and prices). I know the first year it felt a little cramped (due to the elevated guest numbers?) -mostly due to noise level and room temperature- but I think both of those things could be fixed if we got back to those first year visitor numbers. Moving tables further away from each other, etc.

Game management is always going to be funky. No one wants to work out a game and then have an empty table come game day or get bumped because other time slots went overtime. I like that people are bringing board games with the expectations of them filling in where one-shots don't fit or there's leftover players.

Obviously I wasn't there on Saturday until late, but if things do snowball into more of a board game 'day', it's best if a few people just make that decision quickly and lead everyone to tables. But also to do it without feeling like you're just dictating to a larger group to play the games you want to play. For example, thanks to Jes and Eric for pushing for the two games at the hotel at the after-party, because we could have sat around for another hour with analysis paralysis and not played anything.

Maybe that's what the MWM looks like in the future: dedicated timeslots for one-shots and dedicated timeslots for longer/heavier board games alongside. If someone coming to MWM knows that they are signed up for Time Sink: The Boardgame at 1 pm, they can prepare themselves for it instead of being talking into it randomly on that day. I know I've been at Cons in the past where I turn down a table because there's talk of a potential slightly more interesting thing could be potentially available to me, only to find out a few hours later that I ended up not doing either.

tl;dr

Time slots for one-shots and maybe time slots for board games. Both would need some kind of 'GM' to help with rules and possibly provide the game.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

These are all great ideas! We kinda got out of the logistics game after MWM I, but we did have badges and a more concrete schedule once. We can probably do it again, we just need to *ahem* co-opt some volunteers to help out 😄