Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

Tarric had indifferent skill at best with a bow, and so for this stage of the fight he left those weapons to those who could better make use of them. For his own part - at least now, while the walls remained unbreached and the orcs were not in physical reach - he took up a place as part of a shield wall, guarding the archers against anything the monsters might fire back.

And here it came -- the Beorning's darkvision was the same as a regular human, but he could hear, and he could feel. It was only natural, after the village's archers had sent out their attack, that the orcs would respond in kind.

"Shields up!" he called to the defensive line, stepping forward and bracing himself against anything that made it past the palisade while the archers made ready their next volley. He spared a moment to hope that Vara had found a safe roost in the darkness before all this.

But the orc arrows kept coming, and coming. There were short pauses, but Tarric dared not lower the shield for even a moment. Another shield-man nearby - one of Mogdred's, he thought - was not quite so vigilant (or perhaps not so lucky) and yelled in pain as a bolt skidded past the edge of his shield and sliced into his upper arm. So many were flying that their own archers were having trouble getting any more shots off! But the orcs had to deplete their ammunition sometime... right?

OOC

Added current Scene Challenge per Idunn's post.

I'm thinking Tarric's role for this round is something like a Face Danger with iron. Since he's not directly attacking/opposing an orc, I will not add the talisman here...

Face Danger (iron) vs orc arrow volley - Action (4) vs Challenge (10,3) - (Weak Hit) Momentum won't help, so I'll save it. Progress (now 6/10) + Countdown (now 2/4). Hm. Maybe I'll go with that frequent orc volleys idea then.

Having exchanged his merchant silks for a leather brigandine and hefting a heavy axe in both hands, Bróin at last cut some measure of a dwarven warrior's figure as he stood by the western wall with his comrades. Did he want to be here of all times, an army of orcs chomping after his bits? Of course not. But this was where fate had transpired to place him, and cowardice in light of that would be rather poor form. "Heroism is far more profitable in the long-run I find. Provided I live to enjoy it..."

Vara, for her part, relished the opportunity to spill orcish blood; she was warrior in her heart of hearts... and now was the time for battle to be joined! Swooping down at the firing orcs, the raven made to be as disruptive as possible with her attacks...

Alas that the orcs prove far more organized than in their previous battles, and Vara is forced to fall back behind Rhosgobel's walls to regroup with the others.

OOC

Gonna Face Danger here with deception/trickery through Vara. Using Shadow and per the Raven Asset that'll add +1 and net +1 Momentum on a hit. Action Die (5) = 5, Challenge Dice (11) = 4,7

Weak Hit. Progress should 7/10, Countdown 3/4.

For a few minutes, the Woodmen struggled against the relentless barrage. The occasional arrow that found purchase, like in Mogdred's man that stood near Tarric, sapped the warriors' resolve, if only for a moment. Even battle-hardened men were not immune to fear. But as healers came to seek the wounded and carry them away to safety-mostly wives and elders, who urged them not to lose heart-the shield wall was reinforced again, and both it and the palisade stood firm, and Men and Elves were like a single being, their movements coordinated in unity.

Soon the orcs lost the element of surprise, and though they let loose more arrows, those no longer had any effect: neither on numbers nor morale. The inevitable melee was drawing nearer, and soon it was they that had to approach and become the targets to the arrows of the Free Folk. They came pouring in, at first nothing but mere fodder for the keen-eyed elves, but soon their numbers gained them ground, and they begun to scale the walls-some with ladders, others with hooks, and yet more with nothing but bare hands.

But the walls were strongest here, and the men-folk dour and grim. They held, slaying orc after orc, goblin after goblin. Idunn thrust her spear downwards, and thought she found foes a few time, but it was hard to tell in the darkness and disarray. Then a mighty pull deprived her of her weapon, leaving her unarmed just as the cry went up from the east.

"They are inside! Push them back! Push them back!"

The warning threatened to break the ranks of the allies, but Radagast soon rallied them, and gathering the companions to him, he sought the enemies that had managed to quietly steal into the village...

OOC

Defend the western walls
Troublesome Scene Challenge
Progress: ■■■■■■■■■□
Countdown: ■■■□

Let me try and resolve this before posting the narrative...

End the Challenge:
Dice Roll: 2d10
d10 Results: 2, 9 (Total = 11)

Edit: A weak hit. We succeed, but must Pay the Price. Just for fun, let's roll on the Pay the Price oracle table:

Ask the Oracle:
Dice Roll: 1d100
d100 Results: 42

Edit: A new danger or foe is revealed. While appropriate, this is what I had in mind anyway, so let's invert the numbers and say it's a 24: Something of value is lost or destroyed. Maybe it's Idunn's spear-she cannot use her skirmisher asset for thie coming fight.

The foes we are facing now are a small band of orcs that have managed to infiltrate the town-no more than five or six. Feel free to use combat mechanics; we will be sharing the same progress bar (Troublesome foe).

Stealthy orc infiltrators
Troublesome foe
Progress: □□□□□□□□□□

Idunn will enter the fray +heart, but any other stat can be justified here. Don't forget your talisman!

Enter the fray:
Dice Roll: 1d6+2t 2d10
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 4, 2 (Total = 6)
Sum Total: 14

Strong hit. +2 Momentum and she has initiative. I'll leave it at that for now; feel free to post if you want! Stats updated!

Tarric was in the press at the wall, bashing and shoving at any orc that got close enough and seemed to be gaining a hold on the wall. The darkness was confusing, but other senses compensated, for he could hear the orcs, smell them, feel the vibrations of the wall. Olwinne was at his side, blonde braid swinging, giving good account of herself with her well-sharpened axe and taking down her share of the foe in bloody piecemeal.

The call went up just as an orc barrelled into the Beorning's shield, pushing him into Olwinne's side, but she held steady with a quiet flinch and a grunt as she shoved back her own foe and then swung, beheading the one that had collided into them. Tarric paused, looking to the east. "Go," she said roughly. "They'll need you." When he hesitated, she smacked his cheek lightly and gave him a push. "Go." Reluctantly, he nodded and backed away from the wall even as she had already turned to meet the next orc, and the allies' ranks had closed in to fill his place.

Tarric took in a breath and held a hand to the cheek she had tapped. It came away damp. He smelled... blood? An anxious glance showed Olwinne already hidden in the darkness and combat. But Radagast was calling... and so was duty. With a pained roar Tarric-the-Bear went to join the wizard's call.

OOC

Closed the Defend the Western Walls scene challenge. Added the Orc Infiltrators combat.

Let's roll Tarric's Enter the Fray first and see how he's set up... (he's in bear form at this point but Berserker doesn't apply yet, and I don't *think* talisman applies to 'enter the fray' either...? If it would make a difference I'll ask, but first let's roll...)

Enter the Fray + heart - Action (6) vs Challenge (10,7) - (Miss) Ouch. Even if talisman counts here, it'd still be a Miss. And I'd rather not burn 10 momentum to only get a Weak Hit, so I'll take the miss. Adding 1 tick to Tarric's Failure track. The foe has initiative over Tarric and he's got to Pay the Price.

I have some ideas, but just to see if this solidifies any of them, let's roll on the table... 

Price Check heh (95) - A friend/companion/ally is put in harm's way. Yeah that sounds about right... hm.

Yep, Olwinne is (potentially) injured. Since this is just a Troublesome foe it's the equivalent of 1 Harm, but we'll see what happens (and no doubt Tarric is distracted with worry as well, all part of the Price).

Drawing his axe out of the chest of a dead orc that had scaled the walls, Bróin falls in with the others as they withdraw with Radagast back into the village. His blood was roiling now amidst the heat of battle; violence might not be his preference in most cases, but when directed against the hated Enemy how could he feel anything but a rush of passion?

Soon enough the defenders come upon the orcish interlopers, and Bróin takes the opportunity to assess the best path towards excising these foul creatures...

OOC

Gonna Enter the Fray with Shadow(or striking without warning) Action Die (4) = 4, Challenge Dice (9) = 2,7

Weak Hit, gonna Bolster his Position and take the +2 Momentum.

The huntress followed the Brown Wizard as swiftly as she could. By her were her companions: Tarric in bear-shape, and Bróin, brandishing an axe, something Idunn did not recall him do before. But perhaps his hatred of orcs ran deep, much like with the rest of his kin. Either way, she did not question the unexpected development closely; she was grateful for their support.

Her eyes must have at last grown accustomed to the dark, after all the fighting at the walls, for she saw them before they saw her: a small band moving about unopposed. Quietly, she knelt by her hound, calming Uthred's nerves as she placed her hand on the feathered ends protruding from her quiver... and then she thought better of it, and she stopped. Unlikely as it might have been, she did not wish to risk injuring one of her own folk, a danger the darkness made possible. And though she had lost her spear, she still had her long-knife and her shield, and she was well-armored.

She drew the blade forth-not as long as a short-swords, but enough to inflict deadly harm. The orcs had crooked blades, but if she fell upon them quickly, it would not matter. She looked to the hound, and with a cry of "Death!" she charged side-by-side with her ever-faithful companion, who gave a wild growl. Their onset was terrible, and the orcs were caught unprepared, and soon the pair was upon them, making short work of them. At once an orc lost heart and, throwing down his weapon, made back for the walls after looking at the huntress in terror.

OOC

Ok, given that Idunn has initiative, I will attempt a Strike +iron. Hound II allows me to inflict +1 harm or take +1 momentum on a hit.

Strike:
Dice Roll: 1d6+2t 2d10
d6 Results: 3 (Total = 5)
d10 Results: 3, 6 (Total = 9)
Sum Total: 14

Edit: A weak hit, so 2 harm and +1 from hound for a total of 3 (so, 9 progress). And Idunn loses initiative.

Stealthy orc infiltrators
Troublesome foe
Progress: ■■■■■■■■■□

I could burn momentum to make it a strong hit and try to End the Fight, but I prefer one of the other PCs does it... don't want all the glory. Now, let me see if I can work one of those magical effects into the story (for the strong hit in Enter the Fray...) Editing... done!
If any of you has a chance to End the Fight, please go for it! And if we are successful, we'll be at 10/10 for our vow milestones, so please feel free to try to Fulfill the Vow as well! Good luck!

With their position secure the Woodmen at last descend upon the orcish interlopers with great vengeance and furious anger, cries of Death on their lips as they charged at the hated Enemy.

But another cry came up as the Woodmen charged. A cry in a curious and oft unheard tongue as Bróin, son of Bori, held his axe on high in anticipation of the battle ahead...

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

As the two forces collide Bróin cleaves an orc in twain with a fell strike from his axe. Another he takes out at the leg. Amidst all the sound and fury of the fight the old dwarf seems to lose track of himself, but by the end one thing is certain; a great many orcs are dead, and he isn't. All told a serviceable victory.

OOC

Given the nature of the fight at hand, think I'll make a Battle roll with Wits (Fight using careful tactics to outsmart your opponents).

Action Dice (5) = 5, Challenge Die (8) = 4,4

Strong hit, so +2 momentum and the fight is won unconditionally.

The orcs were no match for the combined might of the companions. Between Radagast's magical aid, Bróin's flashing axe, Idunn's long-knife slashing artfully, and Tarric's relentless fury, the party of infiltrators were soon bloody tatters, hardly recognizable. Bear-Tarric stood panting atop his last victim, rage slowly fading.

He looked to the wall, intent on rejoining the combat there -- but even as the group returned to each others' side again, a great cry went up from the warriors there. Rage and exaltation - the foe had broken, the village stood strong... the battle was won!

It now remained to assess the cost and care for the wounded and dead. The bear grumbled anxiously, leaning forward but then looking back to his companions and Radagast. Was there yet more to do? Radagast shook his head and made a shooing gesture. Tarric snorted and gently butted Bróin and Idunn with his coarse-furred head before taking off at a bear's rolling trot to find Olwinne.

OOC

Marked the Orc Infiltrators combat as finished from Bróin's post. Per Discord and Idunn's post, advanced our Defend the Woodmen Vow progress to 10/10. So now let's try to Fulfill the Vow...

Fulfill Your Vow - Progress (10) vs Challenge (4,2) - (Strong Hit) Quest is complete! This was a Formidable quest, so we get to mark 3 experience. I've moved Defend the Woodmen to complete and marked the experience on Tarric's 'sheet' below.

For many days and months after the battle had been won, those amongst the defenders that had keen ears and eyes and minds remembered a few queer occurrences that were observed towards the end. For a soft singing of sweet voices of women could be heard at a distance as the Woodmen pushed the last of the attackers back from the walls, despite the deafening din of the battle. And when at last Radagast rejoined the companions, after they had dealt with the last of the intruders, he brought with him the sudden and unexpected break of day, and the rout of the enemy.

None of the fighters, defenders and attackers alike, had anticipated the dawn to arrive so swiftly. They had either lost track of time amongst the fighting, or the night had lasted a few hours only... but the latter seemed impossible. Was this Radagast's magic at work?

Regardless, after the dust had settled, the Woodmen soon discovered that the village had not only survived, but also endured the onslaught and emerged relatively unscathed. Few were the wounded, and none had been slain. Once again, the walls had proven strong, and they granted them a decisive victory. But the aid had proven equally precious. Without the elves and Mogdred's men, things could easily have gone differently.

Word quickly spread of what had transpired, and of the deeds and parts of the companions in it. Radagast made certain that all Woodmen of note in the Western eaves knew it. For if that orc-band had taken Rhosgobel, Woodmen-Town and Woodland Hall could follow, and a long and bitter war would have surely set the forest aflame.

And so the companions saw their standing amongst the Woodmen rise: their names were now widely known, even if they had not been before, and their deeds earned them considerable renown. And when, a few days after the attack, everything had been put back into place, a great feast was held, and many were the times that they discovered, perhaps to their surprise, that the songs made mention of their names, and the part that they had played in the tale. No longer as adventurers, but as heroes and friends of the Woodmen.

OOC

End of the adventure. I will not lock the thread for a few days, In case any of you want a final POV post for your PC, but it's not mandatory.

Everyone receives +3 XP for fulfilling our formidable vow; Bróin and Tarric can get another +1 (if you want) to put everyone on equal footing.