Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

spacer.pngTime: Morning, twenty-one days after the attack
Location: East Middle Vales, just south of the Cleft of Storms

spacer.pngFor two more days they journeyed northwards on horseback, cutting past the ruins of the Old Forest Road on the first day, and continuing through Beorn's lands thereafter. These vales were quite familiar to Tarric, whose kin dwelt here, in farmsteads around the Bear-Lord's Hall, where they were best protected.

For their part, the companions tried to stay away from the eaves of the forest, from which errant orcs or lost spiders could at times emerge and strike at unsuspecting folk, as they had already discovered. They kept their night-watch and their camp-fire, and no more foes plagued them as they continued onwards.

The memory of the dead, who had once been sealed in those accursed caves, still plagued Idunn and haunted her nights, despite Bróin's words, none of which had managed to reassure her. That was not the only thing about him that had stayed with her. Vara's comment on orc-flesh the day prior did not sit well with her at all, but she had said nothing at the time, and did not wish to return to the matter by speaking of it. But she had to do something about it, despite her silence. And so, she chose to conveniently 'forget' some morsels of food near the dwarf's loyal raven in the days that followed; morsels that at times happened to include preserved meat, though she could not afford much to spare for their feathery companion.

Whether or not such treatment would turn Vara away from the devouring of the dead, Idunn could not say. But on the morning of the twenty-first day since they had set out from Rhosgobel, after journeying nearly a hundred miles through the valleys watered by the great Anduin, they came to a place that looked northwards, towards a twin-horned hill just outside the forest; a landmark that the Beornings and other Vale-folk called the Giant's Axe-Cut, or the Cleft of Storms, for its strange appearance. It must have once been a single mountain, as evidenced by ancient stones piled on both hilltops. Though they were clearly visible in the rising sun of the spring morning, the hills still lay a dozen or so miles northwards. Strange tales spoke of them, though not always in grim manner.

OOC

Another landmark from Heart of the Wild, and another milestone. I have marked our route in red on the posted map.

Journey: To Forest Gate (Dangerous)
Progress: ■■■■■■■■□□

Those familiar with the Cleft of Storms know that the tales claim that if one stands between the twin peaks, they can predict the weather, spotting storms two or three days in advance. More sinister stories say that those with great will can impose it on the weather, controlling it with their desires. Feel free to incorporate such lore in your posts, if you want!

Idunn's RP with Vara is just that-an attempt to give Maester a reaction, and flesh out some group dynamics; it's not intended as passive-aggressive judgement or out-of-character player issue.

Once you are ready, let's have someone lead and Undertake a Journey again. Whoever wants to can go ahead!

spacer.pngTime: Morning, twenty-two days after the attack

spacer.pngThey were close now. The huntress took the lead and sought to take them further north. Not far from the Forest Gate, and less than half a day's worth of leisurely march to the south, stood once the Easterly Inn, a homely house run by one Dody Brandybuck, whom Idunn knew a little of. She had spent some time there before the Yule and her ill-fated mission to the Viglundings. But now she knew that the place was nothing more but ashes, and all the hobbit-folk dead. Orcs had taken advantage during Beorn's absence, when he set out to deal with Viglund and the North, and they had destroyed the place and slain most of its occupants before melting back into the woods.

It was a bleak fate and a miserable tale, and Idunn cared little to share it. On some level she was glad that Leesha was not with them to see what had become of the place. That did little to alleviate a sense of guilt, for it was in part because of her and her previous companions that Beorn had been forced to journey, abandoning his lands for a little while-yet sufficient time for orcs to do their damage. But it was a place their path now led them towards, and there was no avoiding it, not if they wanted to hasten towards the elves.

She kept her silence as they passed by what little remained of the hobbit establishment in the afternoon. Yet the memory of the place felt heavy in her mind and conscience. To distract herself, she urged them onwards, and by the next morning they reached at last the Forest Gate.

spacer.png

OOC

Ok, it seems that things have slowed down a bit, so I hope you don't mind, but I'll try to finish this journey and move us forward. With a little luck, and failing that some momentum, I hope that I will be able to.

Undertake a Journey:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 7, 2 (Total = 9)
Sum Total: 17

Edit: Ok, Strong hit. Mark progress & reach a waypoint. Let's say that the waypoint is the ruins of the Easterly Inn. You can see the location of the Easterly Inn in the new map I posted.

Journey: To Forest Gate (Dangerous)
Progress: ■■■■■■■■■■

Now, to finish this segment, let's try to Reach Our Destination.

Reach Your Destination:
Dice Roll: 2d10
d10 Results: 3, 8 (Total = 11)

Edit: Strong hit. We arrive, and the situation favors us. The next person to post can take +1 momentum or +1 to any move they make. Mark a milestone in the vow, making our progress 8/10 (Defend the Woodmen). Editing post in progress... done.

Feel free to make posts, I'll try to move the story forward next week!

There were no objections from the Beorning as the company traveled past the home of Beorn, keeping to his stated dedication to speed. Still he could not help craning about when they passed through the area, curious for any glimpse of possible kin and hoping not to spot any distress.

Fortunately, at least for now, things seemed calm. No fresh obstacles or enemies blocked their path, and not even Vara's soaring gaze detected trouble. Tarric was even relaxed enough to share a few easy tales of glad days growing up in this area, around the campfire in the evenings.

Even the Giant's Axe-Cut did not seem foreboding, though he noted with relief that no dark clouds seemed to gather in that cleft.

Things grew more somber at the passing of blackened ruins as they neared the end of the journey. It was a stark reminder of the importance of their current task, and that the last few days were the exception and not the norm. Idunn in the lead seemed withdrawn, and Tarric found himself guiding his horse inbetween her and the sight of it, and he kept close watch on it as they rode past.

OOC

Marked Journey to Forest Gate complete! Updated progress on Defend the Woodmen to 8/10 per Idunn's post.

Since Tarric's not making any moves, I'll leave the +1 momentum or +1 on a roll to Bróin.

Every morning that followed the morsels of meat Idunn 'lost' had disappeared by the time the company resumed their journey. If Vara surmised the subtext behind them she didn't say a thing; time would tell come their next battle. Then again if you can have your cake and eat it too...

Bróin for his part has resumed his tale-telling and commentary on their journey, plying Idunn and Tarric with stories of his travails in the region. Passing by the Cleft of Storms, he begins telling the story of how his cousin Hagar tried to use the Axe-Cut to clear up a spring squall they had been trapped by. "It worked, like as not. But wouldn't you know it the whole vale turned as frigid as the Icebays of Forochel instead! No notion how he cocked that up."

Passing by the ruins of the Easterly Inn however causes Bróin to turn dour, shock and sadness playing across his face as he couldn't help dismounting to check the ruins. "I knew Dody and Dindy since they were wee lads back in Bucklebury. I attended Dody and Agatha's wedding, saw Dando and Rodry grow up to. Imagine my surprise when I saw this little piece of the Shire spring up in Wilderland... but in a way it reminded me of home. That and more was why I always made my way here, not matter my business this side of Mirkwood."

Tears slither down the Dwarf's face. "I should have told them to leave. Pack up and go back to Buckland or... or invested some coin in guards or-"

Vara flutters down and rests upon Bróin's shoulder. "Mayhaps that would help. Mayhaps not. Who can say how the skein of destiny may ever truly unfold, save those who do so? Such things are beyond our control friend, for the choices we make can ripple outward in unfathomable ways. All we can do is ride the currents as best we can... and help those who share the river with us."

Bróin nods in some measure of understanding, but is nonetheless silent for the rest of the journey to the Forest Gate. By the time they've reached the edge of Mirkwood once more however the Dwarf has finally comported himself as he begins assessing the next steps forward for the company...

spacer.png

Image from the Beowulf: Age of Heroes RPG (Jon Hodgson)

♫ Icewind Dale OST - Kuldahar theme ♫

Time: Afternoon, twenty-two days after the attack

spacer.pngAs soon as they crossed the Forest Gate, the light faded, even though outside the sun shone brightly still, and they once again knew that familiar sense of being in the gloomy depths of the forest. The Elf-Path now unfurled before them like an endless yet narrow dark tunnel full of twists and turns, with trees rising to their left and right like great and ancient pillars, and meeting many yards above the ground. There they seemed to intertwine their branches and struggle, locked into a grapple that progressed in slow motion, its prize being a few more rays of sunlight, and creating an impenetrable canopy almost as solid as any man-made roof.

Idunn had walked this path before, though she had not done so for a few years now. She brought to mind its many dangers, but presently she worried about Bróin. Throughout their journey, which had gone on for more than three weeks now, she had not seen him like she had by the ruins of the Easterly Inn. She had thought him incapable of such emotion, and yet here she was, mistaken again. She had tried to comfort him, but with what words? No words could suffice in this situation. In the end, all that she had managed to muster was this:

"The hobbits are no more, but I hear that Frier, the dwarf who lived with them and helped them build the inn, survived. He must be in Beorn's Hall now. As for the others, perhaps we can avenge them yet by slaying the orcs that did this, even if such a deed will not bring them back. I am sorry."

But by now she had fallen mostly silent, having little to say that could help, except for the occasional remark on this or that practical matter.

spacer.pngspacer.pngIt was at a point where the path grew narrowest that they were spotted. Standing in single file, they turned to listen to the strange noise for a moment, but the elves surprised them, arriving from behind. "You are trespassing here." were the first words they heard-not a greeting or some basic courtesy-coming from an elf armed with a slender bow whose figure somehow seemed even slenderer. But before a moment had passed, another voice rose from yet another direction, coming from a taller elf that was clearly the leader of the party.

"Lower your bow, Galithil. For these must be the emissaries that Aiwendil spoke of. Friends, your arrival has been foretold. But speak your names and your purpose here, so that my companions can understand it."

OOC

I'll add a portrait for the chief elf later, when I have a computer. (edit) ...and done. Guy on the left is Galithil, guy on the right is the boss.

For now, this resolves the narrative effects of the strong hit in the "Reach your Destination" move (the situation favors you). As we talked in the OOC, @Maester1216 feel free to set your momentum to its previous number, as you don't need to burn it for a new journey, and save that +1 for your next move.

Here, we can introduce ourselves, either via a spokesperson or each one of us individually. If anyone wishes, they can add a Secure an Advantage move to go along with it, but it's not necessary. After this scene, I'll move us towards the audience.

Bróin's spirit seems to lift ever so slightly thanks to Idunn's words. "That... that is good. I know the name, though I cannot say that I know Frier as well as I should. I shall have to rectify that in the future." Even still, a beleaguered mood hands over the dwarf for the duration of their journey to the Forest Gate.

Upon being confronted by the Elven Sentinels however, Bróin is quick to muster up a becalming smile and jaunty tone as he saunters up to the front of the company. If he is concerned by the elven arrow pointed at them he doesn't show it as he speaks. "Indeed friend, we are the emissaries sent forth from Rhosgobel and the lands of the Woodmen. I am Bróin, son of Bori, and late of the Blue Mountains; this is Idunn, daughter of Theodwin of the mountain clans, and Tarric, son of Lorric, of the Beornings. We come seeking an audience with the Elvenking Thranduil, for dark forces threaten the Wilderland and we would beseech of him aid in standing against the orcish horde that now rises."

OOC

Gonna roll to Secure an Advantage with Wits for us, using the +1 we got from Reaching our Destination.

Action Dice (7) = 7, Challenge Dice (6) = 1,5

Gonna Prepare to Act ahead of dealing with Thranduil and take the +2 Momentum.

spacer.pngThe tall elf returned Bróin's courtesy with a slight bow. There might have been enmity or some mutual dislike at times between the folk of Durin and Thranduil, but it seemed as if they had chanced upon one of the Firstborn that was open-minded enough to receive them without bias.

"I am Ithilas, and I was tasked with finding you. Of troubles and orc-work we know all too well, but I can take you to an envoy who will convey your tidings. The king, I fear, is far too busy with pressing matters, and it may prove impossible to secure an audience, yet rest assured that your tale will be heard."

spacer.pngThen Idunn, who was far less trained than Bróin in courtesy and in matters of diplomacy, interjected, producing from a pocket the letter Radagast had penned for Thranduil. "Radagast asked us to deliver this letter to the Elvenking himself, and I suspect he wished us to do this personally. We must go with haste; already time has been spent to warn our settlements, and more orc-work may be afoot!

Then Ithilas turned to the huntress and answered: "If speed is what you seek, then let us deliver the letter; for we can move swiftly in the forest, far faster than any mortal can."

But on this point, the Woods-woman was adamant, insisting they be taken. For a while, the elves looked at her incredulously, but her stubborn insistence was self-evident, and at length the elves begun to make preparations for the journey ahead. The one that had been introduced as Galithil, the elf that bore the slender bow, seemed for a while to insist that these mortals be blind-folded, but eventually Ithilas prevailed, allowing them to come with the elves as they were.

Time: Noon, twenty-four days after the attack

spacer.pngThey left the Elf-Path after a while and turned northwards, following secret trails known only to the Firstborn. Now it was made clear why Galithil had so insisted on them being blindfolded, but the trails were so narrow and winding and indistinguishable that he needn't worry. It would prove impossible to remember them, even if they wanted to, and without the elves they would surely become lost within minutes.

Still, Galithil eyed them with suspicion and spoke few words, and he was not alone in treating them thusly amongst the elven sentries. Luckily, Ithilas was warm and welcoming, and broke bread with them under the old boughs and exchanged tidings. He was the leader of the party and so, despite any lingering concerns, the rest of the sentries did as he told.

After only two days' worth of swift and challenging marching, they reached the Forest River. Idunn marvelled at their speed: for if they had remained on the Elf-Path, this would have surely taken them much, much longer. At such comments Ithilas only smiled and reminded them of that which the mortals called elf-magic with a laugh. Before long, the gates of the great Forest Citadel were in sight, and Ithilas took them across a narrow stone bridge over a swiftly running river. Ahead of them, hidden among the ancient trees, the great doors opened on the side of the cavern's rock face, ready to receive them. A guard conferred briefly with the patrol before allowing them entry into an elegantly carved and decorated entrance chamber.

spacer.pngWhen the gates were shut behind the company, the companions were greeted by an aloof courtier, who spoke in elvish with Ithilas before he led them them into a corridor that branched off to the left of the chamber. The corridor had several doors on either side, and they were led into the third room to the right. It was functionally appointed with a table and chairs. There they were allowed to remove their travelling gear after many days' journey and soon, an elven maiden clad in a fine blue cloak arrived bearing an ornate silver jug full of clear water and earthenware beakers. She spoke not a word, leaving them on the table before departing.

OOC

I'll leave it here as it's a lot of content, but the audience shouldn't be too far ahead now.

spacer.pngspacer.pngAfter the fair elven maiden had left them, they had some time to themselves. Any amongst them that chose to partake in the water found it refreshing and delicious beyond any that they had ever tested. But as the minutes passed without any new arrival or information, it was only natural for them to start to wonder when, if ever, they would be allowed to speak to the Elvenking.

Nevertheless, before their patience could be further tested, a new envoy returned with Ithilas; a handsome elf that seemed to them in appearance similar to a youth at his prime, though they knew full well that with the fair folk, looks had little bearing on age.

Without an introduction, he spoke to them, demanding to receive that which he sought.

"These are the messengers, then..." he said to Ithilas, who nodded in affirmation. That was enough for him, who turned to the mortals and continued: "You must hand over the message that Aiwendil sends to our king, and quickly."

OOC

Just adding something a little more actionable so the characters have something to do beyond just RP.

The journey to the Forest Citadel of the elves had been a wonder, and no mistake. While there was no way to keep the specific path in his mind, he hoped the journey itself would not fade. Still, despite the nature and beauty of the place, Tarric felt uneasy as they were ushered into a room for rest. Even the water here was the best of its kind. Everything here seemed polished, and ornate: two words that the Beorning manifestly was not. Knowing this, he'd been quiet through much of the meeting with the elves, but it could not last.

When this new elf came in and summarily demanded their message (while clearly still not being the intended recipient, if his mention of 'our king' was any indication) Tarric grumbled and stood. But it was Ithilas he addressed, and not the newcomer.

"Look, Ithilas. I appreciate your courtesy to us, and bringing us here perhaps against your own preference. But you heard Idunn earlier. We're to deliver the message to the elfking. I've no doubt he is busy, but is it truly a difference to him whether we are present when he gets the message or not? Are we not wasting more time with these repeated attempts to alter our mission than we would be spending if we just were brought to him? Indeed, what if he has additional questions of us once he has read the message -- would it not save time to have us present to immediately answer them? We've given our word to make certain the message was delivered; please do not try to make us go back on it."

It was likely more words than anyone present had heard from him at once. But there he stood, beard bristling defiantly, no doubt smelling of their long travels despite whatever efforts they'd made to straighten themselves out while waiting.

OOC

Not sure how this'll go, but I think it's a Compel with Heart to try and persuade them to let us see the king.

Compel with heart -- Action (8) vs Challenge (3,5) - (Strong Hit) +1 momentum, and they should help us get that audience in some way. If this becomes a Gather Information, we get to add +1 to it, but I think this is still trying to get him to send aid so maybe not...?

The envoy's face soured upon hearing Tarric's words; surely he was not accustomed to such disobedience, but at the moment this seemed to matter little. For Ithilas appeared far more receptive; upon noticing his kinsman's reaction, he tried desperately to hold back a smile, clearly amused by the entire affair. It seemed as if, when it came to the sentry, the Beorning's words were gaining them some ground.

As for Idunn, she had little to add to Tarric's words, which she endorsed whole-heartedly. Nevertheless, she spoke, for added emphasis if nothing else.

"Yes. Have we not tarried long enough already? Take us now, so that we can at last begin to deal with this pressing matter, if it is not too late already!"

OOC

Sorry-short post, doesn't advance the plot; best I can do right now.

If I get more time, I'll push things forward. Mechanically, I think that Strong Hit (and the good relationship with the sentries, thanks to Maester's previous Strong Hit) earns us the audience. No need to roll more.

Still, if Maester wants to post, please feel free!

Despite the relative ease with which their company is led through Mirkwood by the Elves, Bróin finds the environment no less unsettling. Chatting with Ithilas raises his mood and eases his apprehension to about the same degree, but that's not by much. This was the deepest into Mirkwood he had ever dared to even think about entering - even with the prospect of elvish goods in front of him - and hopefully it would be the last. Still, appraising Ithilas of goings on in Lindon and the rest of Eriador provided him some measure of distraction.

Reaching the Halls of the Elvenking, Bróin couldn't help but marvel at the finely crafted materials that surrounded them. "It's no Dwarf craft aye, but then what we do with stone and steel the Elves have always equalled with things of nature." Taking an available seat after setting his equipment down, the old Dwarf finally breathes a sigh of relief as he pours water for himself and Vara. The raven, who for her part had perched close to the ceiling, glided down and reached her head into the glass to sip at the water.

Long aware that Elves, much like Dwarves, do things at their own pace, Bróin is content to wait for their opportunity to speak with Thranduil. When the courtier returns however and an impasse seems inevitable, he clears his throat to draw attention before speaking.

"My lord, while I do apologize for my companions... frankness, and appreciate that the Elvenking is much preoccupied in these days, I must echo their concerns nonetheless. The oath to the Tender of Beasts notwithstanding, matters such as these are best handled with as few intermediaries as is possible in my experience. Too many cooks in the kitchen and all that. Still while the opportunity remains, I would be most appreciative if you could bring his Grace my gifts. Courtesy of the Woodmen of Woodmen-Town."

Opening his sack, Bróin takes out a box and opens its in turn, revealing some of the furs he'd been rewarded by Gailar with.

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe courtier at first remained reluctant to receive the dwarf's gift, but Bróin's far more courteous words meant that he was at least not seen with the same hostility and frustration as Tarric and Idunn. "Your friends dare question the honor of a trusted subject of the king. They insult the Woodland Realm thusly! For such disrespect alone they should be left to stew until they beg the king's forgiveness!"

But before things could escalate even further, Ithilas interjected. "All is well, my friend. It is merely the urgency of the task that has made them in your eyes discourteous. But I will take personal responsibility for this breaching of protocol, and take them to the king myself. It may not be customary, but these are unusual circumstances... and I believe that the king will agree. But do not trouble yourself with this matter presently."

The words hardly pleased the courtier, but he had clearly had enough; reluctantly, he removed himself from the situation as his kinsman led the company to the king.

spacer.pngIthilas led them back to the entrance chamber. Then, they took another winding corridor that finally broadened into a larger chamber with ornately carved pillars and beautiful hanging tapestries, all lit by countless lanterns and candles.

The king was at first not apparent. A tall figure, clad in a hooded grey cloak and high hunting boots and clothing stained with mud, stood in the middle of the hall. He had likely just returned from a hunt or a journey, but there was no trace of weariness on his countenance. Soon enough, a company of courtiers attended to him, taking care of his travelling gear. The tall figure-now shown without a doubt to be the king-then took his place upon a magnificent wooden high seat as his attendants surrounded him.

All eyes were on the company as they approached. Ithilas stepped forth and spoke their names, introducing them. At first, Thranduil requested the letter, and Idunn provided it. For a while, the king read it carefully, surrounded by utter silence. Then at length, when he had finished, he turned to the three of them and asked:

"Are you aware of the contents of this message?"

OOC

Let's make this a social scene challenge, using the rules found here. As we've done well so far, let's make it a dangerous one in rank. The goal is to convince the elves to aid the Woodmen.

Dangerous Scene Challenge
Progress: □□□□□□□□□□
Countdown: □□□□

If we succeed, we can mark down another milestone. Good luck!

The huntress stood quietly in the chamber, observing, trying to absorb each and every detail in the rich chamber. Four times had the leaves fallen since she had last stood before the king; almost half a decade, and an eventful one for her, yet nothing but the blink of an eye for the immortal elves. For them, it must have seemed like yesterday.

She was not the same woman now; all her journeys and the perils that she had faced had cultivated her innate boldness and stubbornness, to the extent that she no longer thought it necessary to humble herself before the king. She still had respect for his folk, but thought them slow to act, and too little concerned with the troubles of the Woodmen. But she had promised Radagast that she would bring help, and so she endured the courtly rituals.

But not for long. When the question was asked, she stepped forth, speaking briefly and plainly. "No, my king." she said with a slight bow, for it ought not to be said that she entirely lacked in manners. "But I can guess at it. The Woodmen call for aid. I beg you to answer the call."

OOC

Let me start with a Face Danger +heart. Not her strongest stat, but it fits.

Face Danger:
Dice Roll: 1d6+1t 2d10
d6 Results: 1 (Total = 2)
d10 Results: 9, 10 (Total = 19)
Sum Total: 21

Edit: Oh no! Sorry team. But not even momentum will help that.

Dangerous Scene Challenge
Progress: □□□□□□□□□□
Countdown: ■□□□

I have an idea for her Pay the Price involving the death of an elven companion in the previous adventure. I'll get around to posting it as soon as I can! Failure track updated!

The Elvenking leaned forward, and looked at the huntress with examining eyes. "I recall you," he said at first, sternly, "...were you not in these very halls not long ago?"

Idunn nodded.

"Before I can go further into this matter, you must tell me: I hear that one of my subjects, an envoy, has met his end in the North, in a company of Men and Dwarves. Celebros was his name. Do you know anything about this?"

The huntress had not thought of the kind elf; the question shook her confidence, as she had not prepared a response. She fell silent for a moment, thinking which words to choose. When at last she spoke, her tone was grim and solemn. "He travelled with my former companions into the Vales of Gundabad for some great task; I was not with him, but I was told that he died bravely, fighting a great warg. He was a kind and valiant elf: his loss was felt deeply."

She awaited the king's response, yet none came. Thranduil looked sorrowful, lost in his own thoughts for a moment. There were not many elves left in these lands any more; each individual loss weighed heavily upon the king.

OOC

I've taken a -2 momentum from that Pay the Price; Idunn's confidence is shaken as she is reminded of Celebros' loss. Please feel free to take it from here before I mess things up even further!

Tarric had exhausted his bank of words for now, and remained silent as they were escorted and introduced to the king. He bowed slightly at his introduction, but for the most part simply watched the Elvenking, trying to get his measure. Would this one be more like the overbearing courtier or the hunter that had been so hostile, or more like Ithilas?

It was heartening that such a king remembered Idunn, and cared for his people as evident in his question. His sorrow at the loss seemed genuine. Tarric lowered his own gaze in sympathy and held a fist to his breast.

The Beorning did not want to interrupt or cheapen the death in any way, so he hesitated to speak. But after what he hoped was an appropriate amount of time, he dared to quietly bring them back to the issue at hand.

"Sir King. I did not know your man, but I grieve the loss as all that have lost companions, friends, and family to evil must grieve. Please, consider Radagast's request of aid. Others already feel this same grief for those the orcs have killed. Let us work together to stop them, to make certain that grief touches as few of our loved ones as possible."

OOC

Added Scene Challenge to the list with 1 Countdown marked as per Idunn's post. Now...

Face Danger with heart, as Idunn did? -- Action (9) vs Challenge (10,1) - (Weak Hit) Mark progress, but there's also some kind of minor hitch in the works, so mark Countdown too. So Scene Progress is 2/10, Countdown is 2/4, I believe.