Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

Idunn needed no further confirmation; Tarric's words were enough for her. With her companions in agreement, or at least what she perceived was one, she could act now, and look into this, and not throw away precious time. And even though Bróin had not said anything in response to Gailar's tale, she thought that he too would aid them.

She stood up, and turned to Evoric's daughter, and spoke her decision: "I am ready. Let us go now, and let us hope that we can return to you soon, with answers."

Gailar nodded; clearly, she approved of this. But before Idunn and her companions departed, the huntress spoke again, thinking of something else that could be of use: "Even if your hunter cannot help us, even if he is gravely ill... perhaps we can help him. You must send him to Radagast. He will know what to do. Better by river, but if that proves impossible, then by land."

OOC

Ok, let me see what still needs to be done:

• I'm good with counting the successful scene challenge with Gailar as a milestone. BlueTrillium, I think it will be the 4th milestone, not the 3rd, as per the post above (3rd was warning this town), but correct me if I am wrong!
  • BlueTrillium's suggestion above seems great to me! We convinced Gailar, so help will be sent, though the route (by land or by river) will depend on whether we deal with the spiders or not.
  • Even though there's no explicit vow taking, I'll make the 'Swear an Iron Vow' move with Idunn to determine the starting conditions of our 'Deal with the spiders' vow.

Swear a vow:
Dice Roll: 1d6+1t 2d10
d6 Results: 3 (Total = 4)
d10 Results: 5, 5 (Total = 10)
Sum Total: 14

Edit: Ouch! If I let this stand, it will not only be a miss, but also a negative twist. I'd rather not, so I'll burn my +7 momentum (and reset to +2) to make it a Strong Hit instead. By RAW, I think that cancels out the challenge dice, so no positive twist for the match. I think. Anyway...

On a strong hit, you are emboldened and it is clear what you must do next (Ask the Oracle if unsure). Take +2 momentum.

That brings momentum back to +4.

That is, unfortunately, all that I have time for today!

I will set the next scene in my next post, unless another wants to take over the scene setting! Which you are encouraged but not obliged to do. If I do it, I'll interpret the strong hit to represent that we can, in fact, glean some useful information from Fornvir, even though he is pretty sick. But if another sets the scene, please go with your own interpretation, if you prefer!

spacer.pngspacer.pngNot much time had passed since they had left the hall of Bathi to seek out the hunter, Fornvir, and perhaps learn from him whatever they could. Gailar had led them to the threshold of his home, which lay between the inner and outer palisades of the town. It was a thatched-roofed wooden building, much like the others here, yet smaller than most.

Before departing, Gailar told them that Fornvir ought to be found within, in the care of his eldest daughter, a young woman called Merewyn, who was the only one of his family that still lived in Woodmen-Town. Then she bid them good luck and farewell, and went off to seek her father, eager to inform him of these new tidings that the travelers had brought to her attention.

Eventually, one of them knocked on the door, and was soon answered by the woman, who listened to their explanation and quickly agreed to lead them within. She seemed to them fair and kind, and under her eyes were dark circles, bearing testament to many sleepless hours. Clearly, worry and exhaustion were gnawing on her, yet she was willing to help them as best she could.

In the center of the main hall lay Fornvir on a makeshift mattress. He was unconscious, and his breath was shallow, and his skin tinged with a yellowish, sickly hue. By him rested a bowl full of clear, cold water, and within it soaked a rag, which Merewyn used to break his fever as best she could. There was not much that could be garnered from the hunter in his state, but perhaps his daughter could be of help. Her father, she said to them, would sometimes speak in his sleep, delirious and plagued by nightmares, though she did not think that much of what he would say made sense.

OOC

Ok, we can RP this scene now that it's been framed. There's several possible moves here, the more obvious ones being Gather Information and Heal (but others, like Secure an Advantage, should also be possible). I don't think it's necessary to use Compel, as Merewyn is happy to help, but perhaps Compel could be used for other things here. Feel free to frame/set up moves as you please!

I reckon Heal cannot be used to fully revive the man (unless on an extreme result, perhaps, like Strong Hit with a match), but perhaps something else that is useful could happen, like restoring them to semi-consciousness for a moment, allowing him to answer a question, or something interesting like that.

Anyway, if we are generally successful here, let's count it as a Milestone for our 'Deal with the spiders' oath.

Enjoy, and good luck!

"Aye, no reason to dawdle. Not when there's work needs doing. Let's say, ten gold for every spider hide we bring in? Or shall we go by tonnage? Eh, let's put a pin that for now." Standing up from his seat and brushing the crumbs out of his beard, Bróin gives Gailar a reassuring smile. As far as he was concerned coin could be dealt with once the matter with the spiders had been settled.

Falling in with the others as they made there way to the home of Fornvir, Bróin is in the midst of quiet contemplation when Vara flies down and lands softly on his shoulder. "As charming a township as this is, should we not make haste to the Forest Gate? Elvish archers would make quick work of most of these orcs."

"Don't get your feathers flustered Vara. Once we've cleared out the spiders and guaranteed reinforcements from Woodmen-Town, then we'll be on our way to Thranduil's Halls." Messengers from the Woodmen should be more than able to spread the word of the orcish threat across the Vales after all, freeing up Bróin and his compatriots to focus on the Elves.

Offering a silent orison to Fornvir, Bróin then turns his attention to Merewyn. "The realm of dreams is oft times a mirror to the waking world my dear. Mayhaps this is one such case, and your father may yet be able to aid us in fighting these beasts. Now, what can you tell us of his sleeping speech?"

OOC

Rolling to Swear the Iron Vow to clear out the spiders. With the promise of payment I'll add +1.
Action Dice (8) = 8, Challenge Dice (13) = 6,7

Also gonna roll to Gather Information from Merewyn.

Action Dice (7) = 7, Challenge Dice (10) = 3,7
Swear an Iron Vow: Strong hit, +2 Momentum and its clear what we must do.
Gather Information: Weak hit, +1 Momentum the information complicates your quest or introduces
a new danger.
Fornvir's dream-talk is clear and sets us on the right path, but we also learn what attacked him; a large Child of Shelob (maybe one of the named one's from the Mirkwood sourcebook?)

Tarric knew well that he was no healer, so he did not attempt it. But perhaps he could give Fornvir some ease and glean a bit more about his condition while the others talked. First looking to Merewyn for permission, he stepped around her and knelt next to the mattress. He took up the rag from the water and wrung it slightly, leaving it still cool and damp but not dripping. Then he set about soothing the fevered man's head and neck, refreshing the cloth as needed.

The location of the wound was evident, but the wound itself was securely obscured by clean and well-tended bandages, so there was not much for Tarric to glean there other than it was indeed quite a large creature to have inflicted such injury. Or perhaps it had dropped from above...

Fornvir shifted restlessly, and Tarric returned to daubing his face with the cool cloth. It did indeed seem that what information there might be had would come from the man's ramblings, and Bróin had already opened that discussion. The Beorning kept his ears focused on the conversation as his hands continued their work.

OOC

Definitely not trying a Heal; that can really only end up badly, and I don't want to hurt poor Fornvir! xD And I think Bróin set up a good situation so I don't think I have another roll/action to add, currently.

As Tarric and Idunn looked to the sick man, Merewyn listened to Bróin's questions carefully, hoping that these newcomers could help her father. Fornvir himself seemed tranquil in his sleep, and oblivious to the discussion that was now occurring. Tarric could tell that the wounds had been treated well enough, yet it must have been something more, something beyond the physical injury that afflicted him.

"He rarely speaks," replied the daughter, "...only in the night-time, and then not always. Twice he wakened me well past midnight, acting strangely. His eyes were wide-open, but he could not see me, and even though I held his hand and tried to speak to him, he could not hear me either.

He was... not well, and not truly present, or at least his mind was not. In his dream, he must have been with the hunters that had ventured with him, for he called them by name, crying words of warning, but I cannot know what he saw. It must have been a terrible vision. None of the men that went with him died, but he does not know this yet. He must believe that he caused their deaths. While the spider-venom still courses through his veins, he is trapped in that reality."

She turned to Tarric and Idunn, and continued with a question that sounded more like a plea: "Is there anything that you can do for him?"

As for Bróin, the new information had set into motion the cogs and gears of his mind, and he readily recalled the tales of the terrible spiders of Mirkwood. The forest was no place for dwarves, but amongst its many dangers, the three children of Shelob were the gravest. The nature of the spell that afflicted Fornvir was now clear: Black Tyulqin, Weaver of dark sorceries and mind-breaking illusions. She was a terrible foe, a force to be reckoned with.

OOC

I think the information can count as a milestone for our newest vow:
Deal with the spiders (Dangerous)
Progress: ■■□□□□□□□□

Leaving Fornvir's bedside for a moment, Idunn approached Merewyn and spoke solemnly. She could not heal the hunter; such a deed was beyond her modest ability, yet she could perhaps rekindle a measure of hope within his daughter's heart.

"I am sorry that I cannot help you more. Yet I know who can. Radagast the Brown. I have seen him do it before, with a friend-a man called Beran. His affliction had been similar, but under Radagast's aid he made a swift recovery.

I hear that none uses the river now to journey to the Black Tarn. But I will look into it, and see if these spiders can be dealt with. If the infestation is cleared, then the journey will be swift and easy."

In her mind, this was the best chance for Fornvir.

Bróin strokes his beard in contemplation, thinking on Merewyn's words for a moment before taking the others aside to appraise them of the situation. If a creature as dark and terrible as this were behind this it could only spell dread and doom for Woodmen-Town. Had Tyulqin aligned herself with the orcs threatening the Eaves? If word from the Dusky River was any indication, the spider would prove an altogether poor overlord.

"The situation is more dire than I had hoped. Mirkwood is no place for Dwarves aye, but I am not wholly blind to the dangers that make the forest its home. Especially when it comes to Shelob's foul get. Only one creature could be capable of weaving such shadowy illusions as this: Tyulqin, the Weaver. It is said she spins webs as black as the void between the stars, making her lair darker than even the pits of Dol Guldur. Her malice is so twisted that the minds of mortals are simple toys to manipulate with phantoms and illusions."

He rubbed his hands together impassively, as though trying to warm himself against Tyulqin's cold malice. "It shan't be an easy fight, that's for true."

Merewyn's face darkened at Bróin's words, but she seemed at least in part to take heart from the knowledge that Radagast could heal Fornvir's ailment, and from the company's resolve to see the task through.

As for the huntress, despite being a Woods-woman, she knew little of the tales and histories of Shelob and her spawn, for she had been born and raised in Mountain-hall, and so she listened closely to the dwarf's words. Yet though she was unlearned in old lore, she had once before encountered the sorcery-laden webs of Tyulqin's get, when she and her former companions had rescued Beran from them, and so she knew at least what to expect. She warned her companions.

"If this Tyulqin is behind all of this, then we must be wary of her webs. I cannot be certain of this, but my previous companions once chanced upon similar sorcery deep in the Narrows, a little under two years ago. Some fell to the spider-spell. Those of us who resisted the illusions were able to speak sense into them, but I cannot say what would have happened if we had all fallen into the trap.

I did not see the web-weaver herself. By the sound of it, she seems a foe beyond us. Yet if we can drive back her foul spawn, or offer a measure of resistance, perhaps we can secure some time, and a respite from further attacks. Better yet, if we can uncover information about these strange happenings, then we can inform Radagast. If truly the orcs and spiders are in league, then dark days lie ahead... We must not allow such an alliance to flourish."

Tarric returned the rag to the bowl and sat back on his heels. He frowned at these new revelations. "Let us hope that we too can avoid this Tyulquin horror. It certainly seems that the spawn are bad enough."

The Beorning levered to his feet and rejoined his companions. "I will make certain to fashion us all some spider talismans before we go, just in case. I can only hope they will ward us against falling victim to such visions as Fornvir. With luck, we may open the way to his healing more quickly, and strike a blow against our foes at the same time."

OOC

Making us some Talismans against the Spiders (not immediately in this scene, but as soon as he gets the chance, and he will make certain to hand them out before they leave town)...

For Idunn - Idunn Talisman (6) vs Challenge1 (8,3) - (Weak Hit) Idunn gets +1 on rolls to oppose the giant spiders. If the action die on that roll comes up a 1, the talisman loses its magic.

For Bróin - Bróin Talisman (4) vs Challenge2 (10,5) - (Miss) Darn, and momentum won't help with this one, sorry Bróin. Looks like this talisman won't help you either. Marked 1 failure tick for Tarric.

For himself (Tarric) - Tarric Talisman (3) vs Challenge3 (6,4) - (Miss) But momentum will help this one. Burning momentum to give me a 5, which makes this a Weak Hit. Tarric also has a +1 on rolls to oppose the giant spiders, until his action die on those rolls comes up a 1. Resetting momentum to 2. I don't think I mark a failure tick here since I burned momentum.

So in summary (once the talismans are handed out), Idunn has +1 vs orcs and +1 vs giant spiders, Tarric has +1 vs giant spiders, and Bróin has neither.

Also updated our Spider vow status.

spacer.png

♫ Cubicle 7 – Mirkwood ♫

Thanking Merewyn, the company set out with a clear plan of what they had to do next, armed with all the information that could have been gleamed from Fornvir’s state.

For a while, they prepared themselves and checked their gear. Idunn had insisted that they all take bows with them, and ample arrows, even if they showed no particular aptitude for archery. She feared that directly fighting their foe would be folly, especially if said foe would prove to be the spell-weaving Tyulqin. ’We must go quietly and quickly, and stay hidden, and if we must fight, then we must fight at range, else we might share Fornvir’s fate, or worse yet.’ She eyed them both from head to toe, trying to discern what they thought of it all. Courage was all well and good, and there certainly was a place for it, yet they mustn’t cross the line and do something as foolish as it would be futile, she thought.

Resupplying and making all the necessary preparations gave them time to see to all and any other needs, and so Tarric fashioned talismans for them all, to ward off spiders, as he had done before. Idunn accepted it, this time finding the custom less odd, as she was growing accustomed to it. Then, it was off to the docks, where it was easy enough to convince a Woodman to lend them a boat, provided that it was to only make the crossing, and not a longer journey.

As they pushed themselves to the opposite bank, they saw again the webs, confirming that the spiders had grown bold of late. Disembarking, they were greeted by a small band of hunters that were stationed here as sentries. The company’s presence surprised them initially, but as soon as an explanation was offered, they seemed satisfied, and agreed to let them continue on their way.

OOC

@BlueTrillium you are correct, no progress should be ticked on the Failure track if momentum is used to obtain a hit.

All the PCs can pick up bows and arrows (or any other equipment) from the town; this is purely narrative, and your PCs shouldn’t feel obliged to follow Idunn’s suggestion (I know that both of them have +1 for Edge, so it may not be their strong suit). Either way, the gear will be handled narratively, like it’s generally done in Ironsworn (it doesn’t really provide any special bonus unless you have the relevant assets).

For the next bit, I think we could do a Face Danger to delve more deeply into the forest before we start Gathering Information to establish a trail. I think our goal is to discover all that we can, and/or do enough damage to the spiders to deter them (through killing spiders or even wounding Tyulqin, if we are unlucky or brave enough to face her).

I’d rather we don’t drag this out, so I probably don’t favor a journey or delve at this point-a simple Face Danger should do (unless either of you prefers a journey or delve). But even if we just use a Face Danger, let’s do the Delve approach: we can do the Face Danger with speed (+edge), stealth (+shadow) or expertise (+wits). We can mark progress on a hit, and if we need a Pay the Price, we have multiple options (e.g., webs, illusion magic, encountering spiders, etc).

I can start as with Idunn as she has good +wits and her Wildblood asset gives her an edge (+1). Or, if you prefer, one of you can lead. Bróin for example has good +shadow I think. But up to you. I’ll post in a couple of days again, and if no-one has rolled until Wednesday my time (Japan), then I will do a Face Danger +wits.

There are other options too. For example, feel free to use Secure and Advantage or Gather Information for talking with the sentinels, or even we can try to convince (Compel) some of them to come with us. Or we can use the Heal move for the preparations downtime, if anyone wants to go in with max health. Or anything else we can think of!

Good luck!

After a brief exchange with the sentinels, Idunn confirmed what she already knew. But she did not glean any new information. The sentinels were good folk, eager to warn them about the dangers of the forest and the particular situation. Too eager-the huntress thought that they wanted to deter them from delving any deeper, even though they would not say it outright.

This was understandable, but she had come here for a purpose, and she did not want to tarry needlessly. And so, while others may have waited for longer, and perhaps spoken to the sentinels at greater length, Idunn instead insisted on acting. And so, she sought to extract an agreement from her companions before leading them on.

She felt that she was in her element in the forest. Bróin had already more than proven his worth as a guide during the journey from the Black Tarn. And Tarric had not been phased by the forest, despite any superstitions. But with spiders about she felt confident that she could keep them safe.

Perhaps such confidence would prove ill-placed.

OOC

Ok, based on the discussions on Discord, I think Maester wanted to Secure an Advantage with Vara, so please feel free to roll for it! I just posted to keep things moving. If no-one objects, I'll attempt to Face Danger +wits (+1 from Wildblood) to take us deeper. If it works, we can mark progress. Let's see...

Face Danger:
Dice Roll: 1d6+4t 2d10
d6 Results: 4 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 4, 10 (Total = 14)
Sum Total: 22

Edit: Ok, that's a Weak hit, so it still counts. I'll take a minor cost as per the rules, namely -1 Momentum (Idunn is moving slowly and carefully). Then let's all reach a milestone/mark progress.

If anyone wants to describe the scene, feel free; otherwise, just provide your character's POV so far, and I'll add a more descriptive post afterwards and move us forward!

Bróin eyes the webbing as the company passes through the woods, worry apparent on his face. After conversing with the sentinels and gaining new insight into the situation he pivots his head towards Vara, who has roosted on a low-hanging breach untouched by spiderweb.

"I would caution you to save your breath my friend. There is a foulness to the air in this forest; best not to misspend what we have." With that Vara flaps her wings and takes off ahead of the company, deftly gliding between branches as she takes in the surrounding area.

OOC

Rolling to Secure an Advantage using Vara with shadow, per the Raven Asset.
Action Dice (4) = 4, Challenge Dice (15) = 7,8

Gonna Burn my Momentum for a Strong Hit here. I'll Prepare to Act and take +2 Momentum.
Rolling on the Location and Location Descriptor Tables for the Oracle. 

Location & (68)
So Vara finds Perilous Swampland within the forest.

Bows (or ranged fighting of any sort) were not really Tarric's strong suit, and despite acknowledging the wisdom of Idunn's suggestion, he could not help feeling out of his element as he added one to his arsenal. If nothing else, though, at least the arrows he carried might be used by his companions if he did not. And so he made certain to gather up his share.

Once across the river, Tarric willingly let Idunn and Bróin take the initiative with their skills. He had no hesitation about their quest here or the necessity of it, but the uncanny darkness and webs here raised a creeping dread in his memory that he could not seem to shake. The Beorning was very glad to have companions here. He watched with concern as Vara flew off. Hopefully as a smaller creature, and flying besides, she would go unnoticed.

"I can scout as well, once Vara returns," he offered.

OOC

Marked progress on Deal with the Spiders vow per Idunn's Face Danger, now 4/10.

As soon as Vara had flown off, Idunn turned towards Bróin, and gave him a worried look. Had the choice been wise? If Vara ended up ensnared in some spider-web high up on the trees, how would they find her, and how would they rescue her? She was, after all, more than a simple raven-she was a companion to the dwarf, and he seemed to treat her like friend or family.

But she did not say a thing, fearing that what might come out of her mouth would be overly grim or bleak. And their environs were already rather gloomy. Instead, she nodded at Tarric's offer, and like the others, she merely waited... and waited... and waited.

With each passing minute she grew even more concerned and ever more uncertain, and she glanced at her surroundings nervously, and stood guard with bow in hand and arrow nocked. It was as if she expected an ambush.

At some point, when the wait had become much too difficult to bear quietly, she turned towards the dwarf, and whispered apprehensively: "For how much longer should we wait, you think?"

OOC

A short post, but just maintaining the (non-mechanical) momentum... @Maester1216 since this is co-op, do you want to envision & describe what Vara finds? You could always Ask the Oracle if you want. Or if you are unsure, perhaps we can help? It could help to frame the next scene... But no pressure! Only if you want to!

After a nerve-wracking wait that seemed (to Idunn at least) to stretch on for much longer than it actually had, Vara returned to Bróin with nary a sound, and landed suddenly on his shoulder, and conveyed to him her findings.

The light was dim up ahead, and the webs grew thicker, with wide strands obscuring even that which the trees did not. Worse yet, the terrain was difficult for those that went on two feet and did not have swift wings like the raven. The soil seemed to grow marshy and in parts even waterlogged, and even though Vara could not say how deep it was, it was certainly wide enough in places to merit mentioning. The odor too was noxious, and it was not difficult to imagine why-it seemed, from Vara's description, a grim place of death and decay.

Clearly, the spiders would suffer no hindrances in such a place, for they relied on the webs to move from tree to tree. And, by Vara's report, there were many of their kind-a large spider-nest, for certain. Idunn was not glad to hear it; she loathed the creatures just like any other and found them foul and dangerous. But this was, perhaps, a chance to do something about the infestation.

"If we can destroy this den," she proposed to the others, "...then perhaps they will think twice before attacking Woodmen-Town. But we must be quick, and we must be quiet, and we mustn't linger long after we do this. I would rather retreat back into the shadows of the forest before they find us. What do you say?"

OOC

I'll roll a Gather Information using the Hound (for his keen sense of smell) and Wildblood (for her knowledge of the forest) to see if she can follow in the direction of the foul-smelling swamp. Not sure if it deserves progress on a hit... but maybe Vara's Secure an Advantage does.

Gather Information:
Dice Roll: 1d6+5t 2d10
d6 Results: 2 (Total = 7)
d10 Results: 8, 3 (Total = 11)
Sum Total: 18

Edit: +1 momentum. The information complicates your quest or introduces a new danger. Hm... perhaps illusion-laden webs? Not sure.

Anyway, let's mark progress for Vara's finding and do one more Face Danger-Idunn is suggesting with +shadow, but someone with better shadow can lead. Then let's resolve the next scene, perhaps with combat. I didn't get a miss so I won't introduce the big spider just yet-though if someone misses, it's definitely a possibility!