Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

(Previously, while on the road...)

She had received Tarric's gift with surprise at first, immediately followed by a small dose of skepticism, which she tried at once to mask. In that she was mostly, yet not completely, successful. Her reaction must have been very short-lived, but perhaps still discernable to a keen observer.

She was, after all, used to speaking her mind, and to being forthright, to the point of often seeming blunt or gruff to others.

Yet even she understood that sometimes courtesy was about holding one's tongue rather than speaking one's mind.

"Thank you," she offered at length quietly, and at once pocketed the thing, and added: "...indeed, it can do no harm, and yet I trust that it shall be put to the test, for orcs may well be upon us soon."

And yet, as they continued their journey, they encountered no orcs. Perhaps it was an indication that the talisman was working? She wondered what the others thought.

(Presently, outside Woodmen-Town...)

So he knew Hartfast. The revelation surprised her, though perhaps it shouldn't. Bróin seemed well-travelled, and by now she was fully convinced that this was no mere boasting-he knew enough details to persuade her of this.

She smiled at the mention of the old man. The description was just as she remembered him. "Indeed," she admitted, "...that is the Hartfast that I recall, and he is as unchanging as the mountains. Dwarf-like, yet taller. Did he offer you a holding and a mine to convince you to linger for long in Firienseld?"

It was a jest, but she would not be surprised if it were proven true. If so, Bróin wouldn't be the first dwarf to be made such an offer.

She listened to the tales of Bofri's progress with interest, and noted Bróin's thoughts on King Bard, but she had little to say. She only smiled at his interaction with Tarric, and his further comments. But her mind was back to business, and of matters that could be of interest to the both of them, though perhaps not directly related to their task.

"Listen," she said to them, trying to gain their attention, and shifting her tone back to a serious one, "...I have tidings that are fresh, and perhaps of interest to your folk-dwarves and Beornings alike. News about Gundabad, and about the Viglundings to the North. News that are, perhaps, worth relating over a mug or two of Beorning mead in the long-house. Care to come?"

OOC

Nice touch with including Hartfast, @Maester1216!

If you both want to continue the RP, I'm happy to; otherwise, I can also hand-wave/summarize the information. In terms of what the characters would know, I am pretty confident Bróin knows all about Gundabad and the Viglundings; I am guessing his player is knowledgeable of the setting already, but if not, you can always look up Gundabad in Tolkien gateway.

For @BlueTrillium, here's what your character (and all Beornings, really) would know about the Viglundings: they are the followers of Viglund, a petty chieftain and warlord that lives to the north of the Beorning lands, and is a rival to Beorn. They are more of a warrior culture, and they take thralls, enslaving the evil hill-men and the orcs to their service (something most other Free Folk disapprove of). Viglund is called 'Viglund the cruel' by some because of this (and other) traditions. Beorn does not openly oppose him, as Viglund's own peoples freely follow him.

Bróin strokes his beard in thought at Idunn's whispered words. "Gundabad you say? Aye, I'd wager news like that is best discussed over a pint or two." Were the orcs and goblins of the Misty Mountains massing for war so soon? He'd hoped the devastation they'd suffered at the Battle of the Five Armies would have thinned their numbers for at least a few more years, or at the very least that the deaths of so many Captains and Warchiefs would have the orcs weakened by infighting.

Alas that fortune did not favour them. The thought of being encircled by the forces of the Enemy was not a pleasant one for Bróin...

Tarric shrugged off the idea of marketing his talismans, uncertain whether Bróin was serious or not - and there were more important topics at hand. If the subject came up again later, then... well, by then perhaps he'd figure out an explanation the dwarf would understand. Indeed, Idunn's reaction was more along the typical vein.

But right now, Woodmen-town was fast approaching, and a drink was sounding welcome to his travel-weary limbs.

"Viglund," he snorted. "Is there ever good news from the land of the Cruel? But a mug would certainly be welcome, and ease the telling of such tales."

Idunn nodded, and in time they proceeded to approach the settlement, and near the great gate to which the path led. There they were questioned, but not at great length. As soon as one of them mentioned Radagast, and spoke of their task, they let them in, and neither hindered nor harassed them.

The town itself appeared to be in a state of alertness, with a few warriors standing guard by the entrance, and others clearly at the ready. Yet the disturbances and troubles that had been visited upon Rhosgobel and Black Tarn had not been that far-reaching. Clearly, some tidings had made it this far-no doubt the work of the Brown Wizard and his feathed friends.

They headed directly towards the House of Bathi, the town's Great Hall, where they lay down their burdens, hung their mud-stained travel-cloaks and called for food and drink. This long-house, like all others akin to it in these mannish lands, was feast-hall, guest-house and gathering-place in equal measure; in other words, the beating heart of the community. Other Woodmen were present, but though they had eyed the emissaries as they had entered, presently they had elected to leave them to their own business.

Idunn had chosen to drink from her own supply-the mead that she had mentioned-offering it to others too, should they wish it. Then, when all had received all that they had asked for, and started to break bread together, she begun the telling of her tale, leaving little untold, yet keeping it short and to the point, for she did not wish to bore them.

"I have been guest in Viglund's Hall this past Yule, if guest you could call me." she said, smiling bitterly. "I and others had been sent by Beorn's Thanes, to join in the feast and festivities, for Viglund wanted to make a show of power, and had invited many, extending his welcome to the free cottars that live near his lands, even to Beorn's folk."

She paused, thinking how to best explain the countess occurrences that had taken place during that fateful adventure. Taking another mouthful of drink, she swallowed, and continued.

"Viglund seeks to plunder the North, seeking the treasures of old, for weapons and artefacts that he deems worthy of his prowess. But most of all, he seeks thralls: hill-folk, and goblins even, to till his fields and be his servants. These things he deems his birthright, and sees himself as king, and though he rules as tyrant, many follow him willingly, for he is generous with gold."

She took a deep breath.

"We had a falling out. My companions were banished, and had to leave, and as for myself... I stayed, and tried to smoothen things, though it was but a fool's errant. But I had little choice in the matter. Yet as for my companions... they travelled further in the North, into the Sceadudene, and then further yet, crossing the river Langwell, and into the Vales of Gundabad, where they found an ancient tower and sought to restore it.

It is a long tale, and I am not fit to tell it. I was not there. Suffice to say that they were successful, yet the tower now is manned by a skeleton crew of Beornings and Viglundings, and with any luck, dwarves may yet join them. The watchtower lies within sight of Gundabad, the stronghold of the orcs, and it must be strengthened if the peoples of Wilderland wish to hold onto it. In part, finding more men, and seeking the Brown Wizard's counsel, were the true reasons of my return to Rhosgobel."

And there they had it. She had said much, though not all, omitting the dreams and, most of all, the stealing of Elfwyn, Viglund's thrall, by Dahr-Ol, her companion... but these were things they needn't know, and she did not wish to overcomplicate the tale.

OOC

That's the summary of the previous adventure, but I thought I'd put it here because it may give us interesting hooks going forward.

Wiping away foam and crumbs from his beard, Bróin ruminates on the Bride's tale for a good while. "Viglund stretches out his hand far and wide, and with it would bring all of Wilderland into his iron grasp. Thralldom, raids, heavy tribute, all are enemies to healthy trade and commerce, and with routes only now beginning to fully reopen..." Concern played across Bróin's face for his compatriots to see.

"Hmm. 'Tis a grim portent indeed. Great stock has been placed in the Viglundings by manning this watchfort; what's to stop them from killing the Beornings in their sleep and deliver the tower into Gundabad's hands? Other than the presence of a cadre of Dwarven warriors that is." Bróin allows himself a brief chuckle at his black humour.

"Still, even I can see the strategic value in this tower. It may take time, but my fellows and I should be able to drum up support for providing reinforcements from Erebor and the Iron Hills. Once the word is spread I'll wager that volunteers will come in droves; few Dwarves can pass up the chance to kill Orcs after all."

Idunn nodded at Bróin's words. They rang true, but she was not certain if the dwarves would come; the tower was a far ways off from anywhere, and Viglund had a special talent for making folk unwelcome. Still, one could but hope.

She had a little more to say, perhaps to reassure her dwarven companion, but it was not for all ears. She looked about her with a worried gaze, and then leaned in, in a conspiratorial manner, and whispered to the two of them, so that they alone would hear it: "I have a few friends amongst the Viglundings. Not many, I fear, but I can tell you this: not all of Viglund's folk are as cruel or power-hungry as their master."

And she believed it, though whether she could convince Bróin and Tarric of it remained another matter entirely. Yet for now she let it rest. They could come to her later, should they wish to know more.

OOC

I'm good to continue with the RP if anyone else wants to; otherwise, I can try to move us forward in a day or two. Unless your characters want to pursue something specific, that is-which would be totally fine by me!

"For the benefit of those Beornings in the watchtower, I hope you are right," Tarric murmured, keeping his voice down to match Idunn's level. He sopped up a bit of stew with his crust of bread. "Though I would like to think that they could hold their own against a handful of Viglundings, dwarves or no dwarves. Still." He took in a breath and exhaled a heavy sigh, as of one seeing a difficult but needful task ahead.

"Combine that with the threat of orcs, and our current issues... increasing the garrison of that place sounds highly important. Once we complete our current mission, if you think I can be of any help to your recruitment efforts, I hope you will accept my aid, Idunn."

OOC

Attempting to Forge a Bond with Idunn. Action (9) vs Challenge (5,1) - (Strong Hit) Tarric successfully bonds with Idunn and takes +2 momentum (now 5).

spacer.png"I will keep it in mind." said the woodswoman, and thanked the both of them for their willingness to aid her. "There is still much to be done in the north, and it must be done very carefully, or it will quickly be undone.

But let us see to our task first. If the troubles with the orcs here continue, then few I fear will be convinced to leave their homes for some forsaken and forgotten tower, no matter how strategic."

spacer.pngFor a while longer they conversed, exchanging news and perspectives, but word of their arrival had travelled throughout the town while they rested here, and soon enough a young woman came to their table. "There you are, friends." she remarked as she approached, announcing her presence, and asking to join them with a simple gesture. To some she was perhaps known: her name was Gailar, one of the healers of the Woodmen, and the daughter of Evoric, an elder who commanded considerable respect here. She was well-liked and well-trusted, not only by the folk of Woodmen-town but by all her peoples, and in the moots that the Wood-folk mustered every year or two, her voice was heard and respected, despite her young age.

In other words, she had all the trappings of one day becoming an important leader of the Woodmen.

"I hear you bring bad tidings. The orcs growing and gathering, and now even attacking Rhosgobel openly. Here, we have troubles of our own. Spiders. But tell me all you know, and I will answer all your questions."

OOC

I'm thinking that we can reach another milestone in our communal vow (Defend the Woodmen) by giving her the info. If anyone wants to do it, go ahead! I don't think a detailed account is necessary; it can happen in the background (e.g., 'PC told her all that they knew...').

I'm also thinking this is a good place to try to convince her to send aid down to Black Tarn via the Dusky River. Now, Ironsworn isn't great in 'social combat', but in all fairness few games are, but I found this slight hack (link) that basically handles it as a scene challenge. I've already used it (many times) for my solo game and I'm happy with it, though it's nothing too fancy (but I like simplicity, so... that's hardly surprising).

Essentially, it allows usage of Compel as a way to make progress in the scene (similar to how Face Danger works in a vanilla scene challenge) and also allows PCs to Compel with any appropriate stat. Vanilla Compel (used outside scene challenges like this) uses...
+heart for charisma or courage-related stuff;
+iron for intimidation, boasting or awe and
+shadow for sneaky stuff like lying or manipulation.
I've also used +wits for logical arguments in the context of a scene challenge; I haven't thought of a way to use +edge in a social context yet, but maybe it could work with clever framing.

If both of you are onboard, maybe we can use these rules as a little social challenge (thinking Troublesome or Dangerous). Goal is to extract a promise of aid to Black Tarn (perhaps if the spiders are dealt with-which would feed into that side-arc too).

Let me know in your post, in the OOC or on Discord. And if you're for it, let me know if you prefer it to be Troublesome or Dangerous (or we can just Ask the Oracle).

Idunn looked to her companions at first and then to Gailar, and took the brief spell of silence as open invitation to speak forth. And so she did, giving Evoric's daughter the full account, beginning from the great gathering of hunters at Rhosgobel, then continuing with the tidings from Amaleoda's hall in Black Tarn, and ending with a quick telling of their journey. She made sure to introduce the others, and also to mention Radagast, whose name still meant something to her folk, despite the distance.

Nearly a quarter of an hour had passed by the time she had told all and answered any questions. Allowing the others to voice her own thoughts, she listened for a while, in case they could mention something she might have forgotten or overlooked. Then, when this too was done, she thought it was time to make her request and to speak of Black Tarn's need.

"The orcs that attacked in the South." she said at first, wasting no time about it. "Mogdred has kept them in check, but we can no longer count on him fully to do so. Can Woodmen-Town send aid? The Dusky River is still protected by the river-maidens, and I fear that if Black Tarn Hall falls, then the enemy will have a path by which to move up northwards and have freer reign to harry and raid and pillage here, until dealt with."

OOC

Everyone can Reach a Milestone and Mark Progress in our Formidable vow/quest: Defend the Woodmen. This represents warning Gailar about the situation to the south, so that Woodmen-Town is better prepared if the orcs come. The vow should now be at 3/10 progress, with menace still at 0/10.

Then, I'll start this Troublesome Scene Challenge that aims to convince Woodmen-Town to send aid to Black Tarn Hall via the Dusky River. Making a logical argument, so Compel +wits:

Compel:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 9)
d10 Results: 5, 8 (Total = 13)
Sum Total: 22

Edit: Strong hit. Marking progress:
Troublesome Scene Challenge: ■■■□□□□□□□
Countdown: □□□□

If anyone wants to add more arguments, feel free to post them & roll with the appropriate Move and stat. I'll leave this for maybe a day or less before giving some response from Gailar, but if you want you can have your characters speak before she does. Both are ok!

Gailar nodded along as Idunn made her plea. She appeared positively predisposed, and willing to help, but something seemed to stand in the way. The news of Mogdred, and the lack of help from the men of Tyrant's Hill raised great concern within her; concern that was evident by her demeanor. But it was not the first time that she had heard it. Others had carried rumours of ill-will before.

"The Dusky River has grown dangerous of late." she replied at length. "Spiders roam ever closer, and weave their webs nearer the shores and over the waters, and there have been sightings of larger specimens of late. As I said, we have our own problems.

The timing is suspicious. Nevertheless, I would counsel you to stay away from the river. Until this matter is dealth with, any aid must travel slowly, by land."

The Beorning listened and nodded as Idunn conveyed what they had encountered so far. He offered confirming nods in support, and the occasional bit of detail as needed. Gailar seemed receptive, Idunn's logical arguments more effective than anything he could muster, and his spirits rose at the prospect of at last gaining aid for his friends and family.

And then... not quite a denial, but it felt like one, and he spoke before he thought.

"But that will take too long! What of the river-maidens?" Tarric broke in. "Do you have reason to believe they will not - or are not able to - protect travel upon the river, spiders or no? Surely the lives of our kin are worth a bit more risk?"

OOC/Mechanics

Updated Defend the Woodmen progress track to 3!

And then I think this is attempting a Compel to progress the challenge track. Using +heart to try and inspire action from an emotional perspective in addition to Idunn's logical one. Action (7) vs Challenge (1,4) - (Strong Hit) Nice! I think that advances the scene challenge progress to 6/10!

After making his introductions to Gailar, Bróin is content to sit back and let Idunn recount the events of their journey. Much like Tarric he periodically adds additional details or insight on a point Idunn has raised, but most importantly he updates Gailar on the Troll sighted by Vara before they left.

"The Orcs amass great evil to their banners it would seem. Evil not seen since the Battle of the Five Armies. Perhaps a new Warchief has risen to power? Or this devilry may be the work the new Great Goblin whose villainy has reach mine ears of late."

Bróin wavers a hand at Tarric as the Beorning spoke so hastily. "Easy there laddie. Risk in business is good aye, but such risks are best calculated. If the river is festooned with the works of the Children of Ungoliant as the good lady so says, then I fear the Maidens may be as besieged as we are. Sending troops downriver like a bundle o' pelts is liable to see'em at the bottom of the Dusky. Or in some beastie's gut."

As he speaks however realization flashes through Bróin's mind. "But should the Spiders be removed... well, then we've regained the river! We'd be able to send supplies and soldiers down to reinforce Rhosgobel, give the folks down there a fighting chance! The question then becomes how best to clear out spiders such as these..."

"Risk, yes..." said Gailar to Tarric at first, "...but I fear that if the spiders are not dealt with, it would be more than risk-it would be folly."

She turned to Bróin as she continued: "If the spiders were to be dealt with, however, then there would be a chance, and the task not so hopeless... but even if you were so inclined to help, you would not be the first to attempt it."

She paused and took a deep breath, and let out a sigh before telling her the rest of the tale.

"About a week ago, one of our hunters, a capable man by the name of Fornvir, led a small group across the river, and into the woods. He sought to get to the bottom of this. He was hardly gone for a day before returning... or rather, being returned. His fellow hunters spoke of spiders, but it was Fornvir who ventured deepest into the forest. He must have chanced onto something terrible, a spider-spell or a vile venom. He has become bed-bound and delirious, and not even the healing light of the lamp of Bathi can aid him. He seems to be growing better in body, but his mind... I fear that it was irreparably broken."

She turned to Tarric once again, returning to his unanswered question. "The hunters said that it was the river-maidens' song that led them to safety. But even they could do little to help a large group, not with the trees about the river being so full of webs. Perhaps you should seek out Fornvir, and see if you can learn anything from him."

OOC

If you want, we can take a side-quest here: "Deal with the spiders of Woodmen-Town." I'm thinking Dangerous but I'm open to other ideas. Anyone who makes the oath can also attempt a Compel to convince Gailar that we are able to deal with this, and potentially fill some more progress in the (social) scene challenge progress bar. If it gets to 9/10, I think we can go ahead and resolve it.

Troublesome Scene Challenge: ■■■■■■□□□□
Countdown: □□□□

"I've dealt with spiders before." boasted Idunn, at the same time perhaps exaggerating her experience and expertise."It sounds that you are dealing with an infestation, and perhaps this new evil is connected to the orc movements of late." The goings-on in the heart of Mirkwood were unknown to her, but she knew that orcs and spiders existed in a precarious balance, their fates often coupled tightly.

"I can look into this, if you want. I can neither promise nor claim that I can deal with these troubles alone. It seems something for which many would be needed: a great hunting party, or maybe more. But perhaps I can get you some answers."

OOC

I only have a little time now to push things forward, but Idunn is using Compel and trying to project expertise and strength, kind of like a boast, so using +iron:

Compel:
Dice Roll: 1d6+2t 2d10
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 6, 10 (Total = 16)
Sum Total: 24

Edit: Weak hit, I'll take it.
Troublesome Scene Challenge: ■■■■■■■■■□
Countdown: ■□□□

If anyone wants the closing words and attempting the progress move (end the scene challenge), go for it! If successful, I think it's worth another progress in the main oath (protect the Woodmen).

"Agreed. No promises can yet be made until we know more, but we can look into this. Let's talk to this Fornvir." His empty mug and dish were pushed neatly to the side. "I am ready to go at once, if you are." He did not get up from his seat, not yet, but his restless energy showed.

OOC

Let's try to End the Challenge, hopefully.
Progress (9) vs Challenge (1,4) - (Strong Hit) Achieved! I think what this means is help will definitely be sent? Though the speed of the help's travel (land vs river) probably depends on what happens with the spiders, haha.

Marking another progress (now 3/10 edit: 4/10, I miscounted!) on Defend the Woodmen quest/vow.