Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

Outwardly at least, Tarric maintained a calmer appearance than Idunn while they awaited Vara's return. His bow was in-hand but not at the ready. Nevertheless as Idunn kept her watch, he tried to always be keeping lookout in the opposite direction, so that as many angles as possible were covered. And this was, of course, interspersed with many glances upward. With both Vara and spiders about, overhead was an angle that could not be ignored. Bróin of course kept his own watch for his friend.

But the bird's return brought no ease from tension as the landscape ahead was reported. Tarric agreed with Idunn's words, but -- "How to destroy the den, though?" he asked thoughtfully, his voice gravelly as he scratched his beard. He realized suddenly he'd not spoken since his offer to scout upon Vara's leaving. "Fire might work, even in such surroundings, and I admit I like the idea of spiders burning, but... quick and quiet it is not. And who knows what dire fumes such foul webs might release."

He shook his head at his own question. "Let us get closer and destroy what we can, then as you say retreat into the shadows. Strike and withdraw, avoid full conflict."

OOC

All right, Tarric will attempt to lead the way on this first sneak-n-strike, if he can. *dun dun dunnn* Here's hoping...

Face Danger with Shadow 

Action (6) vs Challenge (7,3) -- (Weak Hit) Even if his spider talisman would work on this (which I'm not sure it would, since they're not in direct conflict yet?) it would still be a weak hit anyway. xD So -- succeed but at a cost. I'll also do the -1 momentum, representing Tarric moving slowly and carefully -- perhaps too slowly? Tarric's momentum is now 1/10.

Idunn looked at Tarric gravely, acknowledging his questions. In truth, she had no easy answers, and no clever plan that would address the Beorning's valid concerns. All she knew was that they had taken on this task, and that all they could do now was their best, and hope that they could inflict enough damage to make it count.

"Fire could burn the webs," she replied, "...yet I hope that we will not need to resort to it." It would be a desperate ploy, one that could harm them as well as the spiders, and she dreaded the thought of starting a fire that could spread through the entire forest, perhaps reaching even the Woodmen settlements. She had no experience with it, not on that grand a scale. "But let us go and see. Perhaps we can find something we could use to our advantage."

And so Tarric led them ahead, aided by Uthred, Idunn's hound, who had caught a scent. It was not long before they begun to see growing signs of the infestation, and so they proceeded even more cautiously, at times sacrificing time to remain hidden. They could see the black shapes of spiders now walking up the boughs and climbing onto their webs, and they knew that they were only one mistake from being spotted and attacked. But, at least for the time being, the creatures did not react to them, and so they must have managed to remain invisible to them.

A great and eerie structure made out of webs now hung over them, like a palace woven out of spider-silk. It was beautiful in its own way, though menacing and unnerving. Below it were the swampy, stagnant, muddy waters that Vara had warned them about. Countless strands of webbing, many thick and others thinner, held the entire thing aloft, supported only by the dead or dying trees that were incorporated into it. Beyond the translucent webbing, they could make out the still silhouettes of countless spiders, which seemed to be sleeping...

OOC

Ideas on how to proceed are welcome. If there aren't any, perhaps we can default to a Formidable Scene Challenge? I think it's not a bad time to increase the difficulty a bit. The idea is to weaken the strands sufficiently so that some at least of this spider-nest comes plummeting down into the swampy waters.

For the Scene challenge, Face Danger or Secure an Advantage can be used for many things: identifying weaknesses (wits), cutting down strands (iron or edge or even heart?), climbing trees (iron or edge?), moving about quietly (shadow) etc. Basically, up to you!

Destroy the spider nest-Formidable Scene Challenge
Progress: □□□□□□□□□□
Countdown: □□□□

Good luck!

Where his companions were uneasy Bróin was calm and collected. He'd known Vara for years, and in all that time the raven had never once been undone while flying. She would be the first claiming to be one of the best flyers of her generation, but everything Bróin had seen lent credence to Vara's claims. "Would that I could say the same for us..."

He listened to the others as they discussed a plan of action, speaking up on the matter of fire. "Aye, 'tis a risk indeed. But given the situation at hand I would caution against, well, overcaution. Fire would prove a fine weapon against these beasties and their nest, and give us cover under which to escape their fangs. Anything else is liable to take too long and leave us exposed."

After saying his piece Bróin falls in with the others, holding his breath against the swamp's foul odours and side-stepping those sinkholes he could; when your outfit was purchased from one of the finest tailors in Laketown, you ideally don't want to take it into a swamp. But then, these weren't ideal circumstances, as he gazed on the ominous structure of webs above and around them.

OOC

Secure an Advantage or Face Danger make the most sense. Maybe Draw the Circle if we want to have a go at the Weaver proper?

Tarric stared out at the massive nest suspended over the swampy waters. "If these behave like their smaller kin, they will notice the moment we touch their webs - the vibration will alert them. But I do not see where it can be avoided..."

He took note of the dead trees supporting the web, and the various forest detritus laying about.

"...Unless we can use it to confuse them, perhaps. Could Vara drop stones or sticks from above, away from our location? Or we might be able to throw objects ourselves. That could obscure our actual location while the rest of us... hm. Do you think any of these trees are rotten enough to push over into the water and take their portion of the web with them? We could even separate and go from multiple angles, though I'd worry that also brings more danger if things go wrong and we are unable to help each other."

OOC

Okay I think this is Tarric trying to Secure an Advantage using his Wayfinder asset. Unfortunately this sounds like using observation here so +wits (+1 from Wayfinder)

Secure an Advantage with Wits and Wayfinder Action (5) vs Challenge (3,8) -- (Weak Hit) Again not sure spider-Talisman comes into play yet, but it wouldn't affect the result. I'm guessing this to mean that Tarric's plan could work, but only short-term unless someone can improve on it. Since it is a hit, Tarric gets +1 momentum. Momentum is now 2/10.

Idunn approached warily, with bow and arrow at the ready, just as she had when they had been waiting for Vara to return with tidings. Her eyes were on the trees, but her ears were at times with her companions, and she heeded their words as they together neared the web-infested swamp.

When she saw the great spider-palace hanging from the trees, she halted, and inspected it from side to side. The sight filled her with awe and revulsion, both at the same time. It would not be easy to bring down… but perhaps they could do some damage to it, and perhaps that would prove sufficient.

With hushed voice, she replied to both dwarf and Beorning as quickly as she could, knowing full well that soon enough the time for words would be at an end, and that she would have to get her hands dirty at last if they were to succeed in this.

’They say that the great spiders of Mirkwood understand the common tongue… With fiery words and flaming torch, perhaps you may yet convince them to leave the Woodmen be, though I think our weapons will prove far more effective.’

Then, turning towards the Beorning, she added: ’These are risks, yet perhaps reasonable ones. They could give us the advantage. But sooner or later, we will have to turn blades to web. I will go first. If the spiders perceive me, then I shall lead them away from the two of you. If this happens, do not waste the opportunity. You may not get another.’

And that was all. Steeling herself with all the determination she could muster, she slowly begun approaching the webs, seeking for one amongst them that was weakest.

OOC

Progress: ■□□□□□□□□□
Countdown: ■□□□

Some good ideas floated, let me see if I can provide some input:

• For Bróin, yes, Secure an Advantage and Face Danger should work here for most ideas, as per the Scene Challenge rules in the book (pages 234-235 of the core rules).
  • Draw the Circle… I could see it working, but it would be very risky (to say the least!) to have one PC go up against Tyulqin. I’ll probably take a pass for now-perhaps later with good narrative reasoning, but it would need a lot of that! But if anyone else wants to, that’s good with me. I’m thinking Tyulqin should be an Extreme or Epic foe, but I could be convinced to make her Formidable, depending on OOC discussion. Happy to chat in the Discord or OOC if this becomes relevant!
  • Also hinted by the IC response above, but if someone wants to do social stuff to talk to the spiders, that option is also available and can fill some progress! We can handle it with the same mechanics (Secure an Advantage/Face Danger). Perhaps some social asset abilities can work in this context too, if anyone has them. We can decide on a case-by-case basis.
  • For Talisman, I am not sure if it would work unless actively opposing the spiders… but with narrative framing this could be established at some point? I’m also ok with a more charitable interpretation and applying it throughout this scene, as we are indeed broadly ‘opposing’ the spiders… up to you! The wording is a bit vague 
  • All of Tarric’s plans sound good to me; they could work as Secure an Advantage or Face Danger, depending on if they are setting up another action (SaA) or are the actual action (FD).
  • I’m going to go ahead and roll for Idunn-SaA +wits for spotting weaker webs, and FD +iron for cutting them (if the SaA succeeds). I hope I don’t miserably fail and alert all the spiders! But if I do, as stated in the IC above-she plans to then create a diversion so that you guys can take advantage!

Finding weak webbing-Secure an Advantage +wits:

Decure an Advantage:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 1, 4 (Total = 5)
Sum Total: 13

Edit: Strong hit, so she does it. +2 Momentum, putting her at +6.
Then, actually cutting the webs with Face Danger +iron:

Face Danger:
Dice Roll: 1d6+2t 2d10
d6 Results: 3 (Total = 5)
d10 Results: 6, 2 (Total = 8)
Sum Total: 13

Edit: Weak hit (and momentum cannot help), so Mark Progress (1 box) and a countdown box. A minor complication. Maybe the spiders stir but they still don't see her? I'll write something in the next day or so, but please don't wait if you also want to post!

Moving as carefully and as quietly as she could, the huntress drew further from the others, seeking to near the sticky strands that kept the palace of web aloft. Though in places the growth was dense, she tried as best she could to stay within their line of sight, and at times looked back at them to ensure that things had not taken a turn for the worse.

With scanning eyes she saw a strand that seemed weaker than the others, and approached it. Shouldering her bow, and returning her arrow to its quiver, she drew forth her knife, inwardly lamenting that she had not brought an axe. An axe would make short work of these webs in one quick blow, but it would be riskier. Still, her knife proved sufficient, and soon the strand was severed, but a great vibration followed this, and the Woodswoman perceived many spiderlings move above her.

She held her breath and readied her spear, fearing the worse. But nothing more seemed to happen. Turning towards her companions, she gave them a reassuring nod, and soon she begun to search for her next target...

The Beorning took a deep breath. They were doing this, then. He watched intently as Idunn made her progress and chose her target. When she struck, the moment froze into several, anxiously glancing upwards for any hint they had been discovered. But luck was with them, it seemed, for while there was movement above, there was no apparent recognition of threat.

"Best not let her have all the fun," Tarric murmured gruffly. He crouched and found the heftiest stick that he thought he could still throw a respectable distance. "May luck be with us all." He patted Bróin's shoulder in reassurance and then crept his own way around, opposite from Idunn's direction to open yet more space between them.

He followed the huntress's example, glancing back every so often to make certain he could still see at least one of his companions. At last he stopped, took a moment to gauge the trajectory to his farthest target, then wound back and threw.

OOC

So let's try... Secure an Advantage to distract/confuse the spiders with the thrown stick impacting the web far away from all their locations. I figure this is +iron to chuck it with all his strength. I still won't use the talisman until in direct conflict with a spider, I think.

Secure an Advantage with Iron Action (4) vs Challenge (1,5) -- (Weak Hit) So, the spiders are distracted, briefly. xD +1 momentum, momentum is now at 3/10.

Assuming nothing else happens to change his mind, he'll go for slashing web next, most likely. *edit* Okay let's roll and see what happens!

Face Danger with Iron to try and slash some web while the spiders are distracted! 

Action (8) vs Challenge (6,7) -- (Strong Hit) Woot!!! Ok so web is slashified near Tarric. Need to look up that scene challenge link again... Okay, so we mark progress on the Destroy the Spiders scene (now 2/10). And then +1 momentum for Tarric I think, so he's at 4/10. Will work on a quick post with Tarric's hit.

The distraction worked! At least for now, and at least as far as Tarric could tell from the shivers in the canopy that seemed to go in the throw's direction.

He had to take advantage of it while he could. No time to be selective - in one smooth movement he swept his knife at the closest strands of web, anchored to a tree next to him and just above his eye-level.

Slash! To his relieved approval, the strands parted cleanly beneath his well-honed blade, and the nearest section of web sagged slightly -- the sagging apparently lost amid the quivers that still investigated his earlier projectile.

OOC

Applying the results of the end of the previous post & rolls!

Bróin is content to hang back and let the two warriors get stuck in, but that's not to say he'll sit idly while there's work needs doing. Picking up on Tarric's suggestion he whispers something to Vara, who had perched herself on his shoulder, the raven soon takes off in a southerly direction. As she flies farther down the web network, Vara begins making mocking jabs at the spiders while striking at their webbing.

"Oi, you withered old attercops! Let's see if you can work for your meals!"

The raven's words have some measure of an effect it seems. A great chittering, hissing mass begins winding its way through the webways above in pursuit of the irksome interloper. The better part of the spider's valour seems to have moved to hunt after Vara, with only those too fat, old or otherwise slow or disinterested staying behind.

OOC

Gonna roll to Face Danger with Shadow using Vara, adding +1 to the roll and +1 Momentum on a hit per the Raven Asset.
Action Dice (5) = 5, Challenge Dice (9) = 2,7
so a weak hit. We're delayed, lose advantage, or face a new danger: Suffer -1 momentum. In this case though that works against the +1 from Raven, so no Momentum change.
Vara is successful in drawing some spiders away, but not all of them. The one's that remain are slow and stupid though.

Looking back at her companions, Idunn could guess that they were making good progress. At least none of them seemed in immediate danger yet! She heard the cries of the raven and saw spiders chase after Vara. She knew that this had to be some kind of trickery, but trickery working on their side. Bróin, no doubt. Nearer yet, Tarric was hard at work slashing at the webs.

Things were going as well as she could hope for. But she knew that all could change at a moment's notice. It would only take one spider to notice them for the entire plan to go awry.

She had to act, and quickly: what had to be done was simple enough, but haste was what was needed most at present.

She rushed to a nearby strand and tried as fast as she could to cut it.

OOC

Good rolls so far, I think our progress and countdown should now look like:

Progress: ■■■■□□□□□□
Countdown: ■■□□

I think Face Danger works a bit differently in the context of a scene challenge, as per the rules, so it's like (if memory serves):
_Strong Hit: Mark Progress
_Weak Hit: Mark Progress & Countdown
_Miss: Mark Countdown & Pay the Price

...but I think assets still work as normal. Secure an Advantage is mostly the same (I think) except that on a Miss we should mark countdown.

As for Idunn, I am feeling unimaginative, so another Face Danger +iron to cut some more webs. Fingers crossed...

Face Danger:
d6 Results: 2 (Total = 4)
d10 Results: 3, 3 (Total = 6)
Sum Total: 10

Edit: Strong hit with match, barely. Lucky. I'll update the progress tracker above (filling one box) and... we have a positive twist. Not sure what yet. I'll come up with one, or please feel free to suggest/incorporate one. In the meanwhile, feel free to post/roll for your characters!

As she made short work of yet another strand, Idunn suddenly felt all the webbing wobble, and this was accompanied by a loud crash, and so she turned towards the sound's direction.

In that moment she was filled with fear, for she thought that she had been discovered. But no. As she harkened, the sounds of flapping wings and a litany of taunts followed, and she knew that it must have been Vara. Her eyes spotted many spiders fallen to the ground, by a large branch that had been freshly broken. Soon she pieced together the puzzle, and guessed that they must have overloaded that branch, until it had failed to bear their weight.

As the foul creatures struggled in the mud, Idunn thanked her lucky star. None of them seemed to notice them yet, despite their agitation, and Vara had proven more than able to distract them, buying them precious time. She scanned her surroundings. One of the thicker strands lay not far from her, but it was high above, anchored halfway up a tall tree. She knew that if she could destroy it she would cause critical damage, but she would have to climb. A dangerous proposition, but the situation favored her.

OOC

Progress: ■■■■□□□□□□
Countdown: ■■□□

I've written the positive twist. As far as I understand, such things don't alter the mechanics by RAW, but can provide the narrative framing to attempt things that would otherwise not be possible, thus giving a (purely narrative) advantage. For example, someone could try to kill the spiders stuck in the mud, and if successful we could mark progress. Or some other idea.

Unless things change, Idunn will climb one of the trees (Secure an Advantage +iron) and then attempt to cut another strand (Face Danger +iron). But I'll leave those for another post as I'd rather we all share the spotlight.

It was hard to believe things were going so well thus far, and Tarric held back an approving yell with effort when a number of spiders splatted in to the swampy muck. Their horrid legs flailed as they struggled. There was no telling how long the team's luck would hold, but they had to take advantage of it as long as possible. Every additional strand they cut, every additional spider stuck or drawn away, made the end problem smaller.

And so, much as he'd like to wade in among the floundering arachnids and finish them, or even shoot them from afar with his borrowed bow... he opted to leave them befuddled and distracted while destroying more webbing. He'd trust Vara and Bróin to manage the diversion as long as they could.

Across the way, he saw that Idunn was of a similar mind, her face turned upwards toward a particularly crucial-looking cluster of strands. Following her cue, he peered upward at the trees in his own area. Nothing seemed quite so integral to the web-den as Idunn's target, but if he could time it well then perhaps the loss of strands on both sides simultaneously, combined with the unbalanced weight of those spiders still chasing Vara, might bring it down.

At last he spied the heavy filament that seemed to bear the most tension in his area, already vibrating under the weight of all the activity. That would be his goal. The Beorning's hand dug into the rough spongy bark and he climbed...

OOC

Attempting to also climb to an advantageous position for his own strand (Secure an Advantage + iron) and then, synchronizing with Idunn's swing, attacking it (Face Danger + iron). Confusion to our enemies!!

Secure an Advantage -- Action (7) vs Challenge (10,7) - (Miss) Well, that's not good. Since this was Tarric climbing up to his own position, I'm thinking maybe a hand- or foot-hold crumbled out from under him, so maybe he didn't quite get to the strand in time to coordinate with Idunn? But he still tried to strike at something in time, so we still Face Danger...

Face Danger -- Action (8) vs Challenge (9,7) - (Weak Hit) So I think he does manage to cut some web alongside whatever the result of Idunn's action is. But then perhaps there's some complication from the combination of these two rolls. Maybe Tarric loses his hold and falls in among the spiders in the muck? Or otherwise makes some sound when he fails his grip and draws their attention to himself?

She had only been climbing for a little while, but she was already beginning to regret her decision. This tree was tall, and the strand stood high above the ground. She felt vulnerable and trapped. This was what spiders were best at: climbing and jumping with their slender legs in ways that she could never hope to match. And if they caught her here, neither bow nor knife would be of much use.

'Fool!' she thought to herself, and then did another ill-advised thing, something that she had been taught never to do: she looked down, and at once she felt dizzy and sick, and averted her gaze. But it was too late. For a moment she hang there, frozen, and then she turned her head and saw Tarric. He too was climbing, perhaps inspired by her, and in that moment she felt like the proverbial blind woman leading the blind. But seeing him gave her a bit of heart. Perhaps her idea had not been as stupid as it seemed...

She pushed on. The strand was almost within reach now. All she had to do was to stretch her arm, and cut it. But she needed to climb a little more... just enough to secure better footing. Only then could she hope to make good use of her knife.

OOC

Updating the progress tracker as per the mechanics in BlueTrillium's post and Tarric's actions:

Progress: ■■■■■□□□□□
Countdown: ■■■■

Before I update this post, I need to see if Idunn's Secure an Advantage +iron (for climbing the tree) works. This is done outside of the Scene Challenge rules, as the countdown is full already:

Secure an Advantage:
d6 Results: 3 (Total = 5)
d10 Results: 3, 4 (Total = 7)
Sum Total: 12

Edit: Strong hit. +2 Momentum, putting her at +8/10. Good, at least she doesn't fall. Then, cutting the strand will be represented by taking the End the Challenge move. Fingers crossed, as this roll is crucial:

End Scene Challenge:
Dice Roll: 2d10
d10 Results: 8, 2 (Total = 10)

Edit: Progress was 5, so that's a Weak hit. Phew!

'You succeed, but not without cost. You must Pay the Price. Make this a minor cost relative to the scope of the scene.'

Since I resolved the scene challenge (by making the progress move), I'm happy to eat the Pay the Price. I'll sit on it today, but I have lots of ideas. Anyway, this worked, so I think it's okay to mark progress on the Deal with the Spiders quest:

Deal with the spiders (Dangerous)
Progress: ■■■■■■■■□□

After this scene, I'm happy if everyone wants to do some fighting. We can decide the nature of the enemy and how we fight (individually against personal foes, or against a joint foe) by chatting on the discord or the OOC. If we win, we can mark some more progress and reach max (10/10).

Until then, huzzah! I'll write some fancy IC description tomorrow, or if anyone else wants to write the whole web-thing falling down and a bunch of spiders being squished, falling in the swamp, drowning or crawling out of the wreckage, please feel free! It can potentially be pretty cinematic, I guess. Maybe Peter Jackson can make the movie adaptation.

A few inches more, and the huntress was able to place her foot on a branch and thus stabilize herself. She gulped, and felt her mouth dry. Who could tell how high up there she was now? She certainly was not about to look down again. But after a moment's hesitation, she brought to mind the reason that she had climbed so high. Then, she hesitated no more, and quickly turned her blade against the strand, and sought to cut it.

It was less difficult than she had expected. The worst part was that she could sense the spiders moving about above her. Beyond the translucent layers of webbing, she could see them, far more clearly now, and feel their movements, and hear the strange and eerie clicking sounds that they emitted. She shivered and shuddered, and, spurred on by the sight, she hastened her efforts.

Then, when at last she had cut the strand, time seemed to slow for her. This was the part that she had not given any thought to. As the palace of webs begun to unravel and fall, she clutched onto the tree and closed her eyes. She now tried with all her strength to stick to it, but branches and webs and spiders falling made it next to impossible. Then the branch which had thus far served as her secure footing broke, and she too began to fall.

She knew that falling from such a height could prove lethal. At best, she could expect a broken leg or two. She braced for the impact, but whether it was because webs and branches had broken her fall, or because she ended up landing in the swampy mud below, it was much better than she had expected. Her luck lasted. As she sought to regain her posture, she saw countless spiders scuttling around. Many were struggling in the muck. Others were seeking to escape. It was chaos and anarchy, and amidst the confusion, she had either not been noticed, or was actively ignored.

OOC

For my Pay the Price, I'll take Endure Harm (-2 Health).

Endure Harm:
d6 Results: 2 (Total = 4)
d10 Results: 8, 10 (Total = 18)
Sum Total: 22

Edit: Miss! -1 Momentum as well. Makes sense.

Such a climb would have been easy with his bear-self's claws. As it was, the rotten, spongy bark gave only deceptive support at best to his hands and progress was slow. Glancing across again, Tarric saw Idunn already striking at her webbing. His own target was yet an arm-span away. If he was going to coordinate, he'd need to take a risk.

So he did. Tarric lunged for his target, the bark splintering and digging in to his one hand as the other swung wildly at the cluster of strands. A handful of the high-tension threads snapped, more... but not enough; it wasn't fully severed.

That is, until Idunn succeeded her own attack and with a curious mix of the groans of breaking wood and numerous tiny pings as more and more strands failed and broke apart, and the screechy clicks of panicked spiders, the entire webby nest-mass fell. In the midst of it all, an enormous dark shape hissed its displeasure.

The Beorning clung desperately to the tree as loose threads and vines of web whipped wildly around him. Most fell back into the main mass and stuck there, but one tangled his foot, yanking him downward on the tree despite his hold, and other glanced against his brow...

Darkness immediately grew at the center of his vision. An inky, smokelike darkness, slow tendrils spreading out in all directions until he could barely see around it. The back of his tongue tasted of rot and old blood. And somewhere in that darkness, drawing nearer, something was seeking him... something familiar...

Impact with the ground shook the vision away along with most of Tarric's breath. He coughed from his prone position and frantically glanced around for the blackness, but it was gone. And instead -- poised in the center of the crushed and mucky fallen nest crouched a gigantic spider. Its bulbous eyes gazed menacingly about, somehow seeming to eye every member of the team at once.

OOC

Updated Deal with the Spiders vow track to 8/10 per Idunn's post, and closed out the Destroy the Spider Nest scene.

Since Tarric got a Miss last post, marked 1 tick on his Failure track (now 2/10 total).

This post is basically setting up the Boss Fight/End of 'Deal with the Spiders' vow (hopefully), and dealing with Tarric's Pay the Price from the failure in the previous post, so no new actions here yet. Also -1 Momentum, so 3/10 now.