Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

A bear's loud grumble chased the orcs into the trees, and Tarric himself had a moment's thought of following them, but refrained. Idunn and Eirnwyn's calls had him lumbering back to the wounded man's side.

Tarric whuffed in concern over Idunn's injuries. He stepped closer and nudged his snout under Eranbar's nearest hand and snuffled urgently, then lowered himself to the ground next to the fallen hunter, ready to help transport him back to the village.

OOC/Mechanics

Sure, I'll go ahead and make that roll to head back to Rhosgobel. Tarric's intent here is to get the group (esp the injured) back safely, so anybody who wants/needs to lean on him or whatever, (or if they want to do something before we head out) go for it!

All right, so Face Danger, and I'm thinking +heart or +iron, depending. I'll roll +heart, but if +iron is better, just subtract 1 from my Action roll... Action (8) vs Challenge (3,8) - Weak Hit (Succeed, but at a cost. For Tarric in this case I think his cost is moving slowly with a care for the wounded. -1 momentum puts him at 7.)

*edit* from Leesha's Aid an Ally in the next post, +1 momentum brings Tarric back up to 8.

As Leesha shook her head, she lifted her hands up in a rather feeble attempt to prevent her head from being cut off. But as the moment passed, she looked up, only to realize that Tarric had chased the orc a short distance away. Taking a few deep breaths, Leesha got back on her feet. The first thing she did was head back to the injured, to see how they were doing. It was only now that she realized in the heat of combat, she'd mistaken Eranbar for Idunn.

"Cmon, please be alright...." A quick glance revealed that at least the man hadn't been trampled in the last few seconds, certainly that was a plus. As the bear came back and began to drag the injured on to his back, Leesha kept a close watch on them, making sure they were still in stable condition.

Mechanics

Leesha is going to Aid Another to try to take care of the injured while Tarric carefully brings them back to Rhosgobel. Roll Aid Another [Wits +3]

A Weak Hit. Which means in this case, but Leesha and Tarric can take +1 momentum. @BlueTrillium

The companions made slow and careful progress through the forest, retracing their steps. Many amongst them now had bows ready and weapons drawn-not for hunting, but to defend themselves in the case of yet another attack. Such caution, though wise and well-warranted, was ultimately proven unnecessary. Their trek was uneventful, and even Eranbar seemed like he was out of immediate peril, though help was still much needed.

When at last they reached the gates of the village, they quickly discovered that they were not the only hunting party to have been attacked. Like theirs, other groups had encountered the orcs, and had returned bearing their own bloodied or wounded hunters. Others yet had evaded their foes, but spoke of disturbing sightings.

spacer.pngThe townsfolk that had remained behind were thrown into frantic activity, quickly baring up their settlement as best they could, fearing an imminent attack upon it. Others yet were directing the wounded inside. Luckily, not many lives had been lost. Meanwhile, messengers were being dispatched to the other Woodmen settlements, to warn them of danger afoot.

Inside, the wounded were brought to a makeshift gathering-place over which Radagast presided. As the companions approached, he called them forth, allowing them to bring their own wounded, and showing great interest and concern in hearing them tell their tale.

OOC

There’s a couple of things to be done here. Here’s some ideas:
1. We should probably take our quest/vow here; perhaps something generally phrased like ‘Protect the Woodmen’, and I am guessing the rank should be Dangerous, as Formidable or higher will make it drag out too long. I am also unsure if it makes sense to RP it as an (Iron) vow. If someone feels like it could be portrayed as such, then please feel free to do it and make the ‘Swear an Iron Vow’ move for all of us. Or we can just take the quest without making the move (and forfeiting any of its advantages/disadvantages).
2. The scenario says that healing rolls have a bonus in Radagast’s presence. Ironsworn seems not to have an option for this, so let’s just say that anyone attempting the Heal move (on themselves or another PC/NPC) can re-roll any one die (d6 or either of the d10s) afterwards. They still have to keep the new result, even if it’s lower.
3. The obvious thing to do is to talk to Radagast, and that’s what the written scenario assumes. I am, however, happy to make things a bit more sandbox here, and let PCs do whatever they want within reason, such as talking to other hunting parties (e.g. Gather Info, Secure an Advantage, whatever), fortifying Rhosgobel (Secure an Advantage, etc) or anything else that makes sense to you. I may not be able to RP every NPC response to all these actions, but we all have some solo experience, so perhaps some things you can write for yourselves.

Ordinarily Tarric would have shifted back to human before entering the village -- for ease of movement if nothing else. But in this situation he figured his shaggy form might be more reassurance than surprise or fright -- and of course, the wounded he supported needed to be brought to Radagast quickly. He followed the direction of the group to get Eranbar and the others settled into the brown wizard's care.

Thus freed, the Beorning bowed his head deeply to Radagast and (ignoring his own minor cut) lumbered off to check on the other groups. The healers and wizard, he judged, would be busy for a short while taking care of the wounded, and what little he could add to any report would not be needed urgently. He could take a moment to do some checking of his own, first.

The bear traveled around the perimeter, pausing near other groups that contained friends of his and listening to their talk. More than once he lent a furred shoulder - to bring another wounded to the healers, to hold fresh logs in place while they were fastened to the stockade, to briefly rest a weary head or hide a weeping face when the stress became momentarily too much. Yet always he moved on, searching.

At last his head lifted as he spotted someone working at the village wall - a tall stalwart woman leaning on her axe as she took a short respite, watching progress on the fortifications. Tarric padded up behind her, seemingly unnoticed, and dropped his heavy chin onto her shoulder.

The smack he got to the snout might've laid out his human form - if it had landed. But halfway through the move her hand shifted to come up the side of his face in a halfway-hug instead, his hairy jowls against her cheek. Then she stepped out of the embrace and turned to get a good look at him.

Even an onlooker from further away could see her shake her head as she took in his grubby condition. He cocked his head and she nodded, then gave him a quick kiss on the nose and slapped his shoulder, pointing back at Radagast before she turned back to her work on the village barrier.

Ever obedient, he performed as directed and returned to Radagast and the healers, shifting back to human along the way as he presented himself for whatever was needed.

OOC

Though he's lending a paw here and there with the defenses, I think this is more of a Gather Information on Tarric's part - listening to what other hunting groups are saying, and also finding out news about who else he may know was lost or injured (and then of course, letting his wife know he got back okay xD).

So that's Gather Information, +wits... Action (5) vs Challenge (4,9) - Weak Hit (The information complicates the quest or reveals a new danger. Perhaps one of the villagers/his friends hasn't returned just yet. +1 momentum takes him up to 9.)

While Tarric gathered tidings from whoever had any information to share, Idunn conveyed all that she knew and had witnessed to the Brown Wizard. Although she did not live in Rhosgobel, and had even left her own folk in Firienseld years ago to take up the calling of a wandering emissary, she still knew Radagast well, and he knew her. His counsel was valuable to her, despite his usual eccentricities, and it was, in part, the reason that she had come here in the first place.

Speaking freely, she described the events of the day, as well as the orcs that had attacked them. It appeared from the wizard's reaction that her tale was far from unique. For his part, Radagast did far more listening than talking, nodding or shaking his head grimly at times, and at others falling into silence, and gazing blankly towards the wounded, as if lost in deep thought.

At length he delivered his verdict. 'Orcs from the Misty mountains... Stragglers from the North. To see them this far south is highly unusual, and in such numbers even more so... This is no mere ill fortune.'

Radagast may have been one for thought, but Idunn favored action, and as swiftly as possible. 'We must make ready to defend the towns. Gather the villagers and place them behind the safety of our walls. If they come again, we may not be so lucky. Has Mogdred been notified? He should have stopped them, or warned us at least. Why has he not?'

Her mind raved with possibilities and plans, but Radagast seemed elsewhere, as if not paying full attention presently.

Mechanics

Although this is basically exposition, let's also make a moe and Secure an advantage-let's see if Idunn can impress him with her Wits.

Secure an Advantage:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 3, 3 (Total = 6)
Sum Total: 14

Edit: Strong hit with matches. I'll need to think on the positive twist. For now, adding the momentum, which gets her to +6.

Radagast shook his head. "I cannot say," he admitted at length, "…yet I can only guess that he too was caught off-guard, or else was overwhelmed by their numbers. But I will send messengers, and get to the bottom of this."

He paused, stroking his beard and quickly added: "This threat is too grave, too dangerous for the Woodmen to deal with alone. And the Elvenking must hear of this, if he has not experienced a similar incursion in the Woodland Realm as well.

You must take a message to him, and with all haste. King Thranduil could aid us in determining the cause and solution to this problem. Wait here, and gather your companions, and those that you trust. I must compose this letter… most delicately."

With those words, he retired to his house, leaving Idunn to gather the others and explain all that needed explaining.

OOC

It takes Radagast about an hour to pen the letter, so that's plenty of time to inform anyone not present (e.g. Tarric) to return and learn of everything that's happened.

Since no-one has taken the ‘Swear an Iron Vow’ move, let’s just all mark a shared quest in our character sheets: Defend the Woodmen (Dangerous).

Although the published scenario railroads the adventure towards travelling to the elves, I am actually happy to go into a more off the rails, sandbox direction. So we can pursue any of these goals, in any order we want:
1. Send the message to the elves.
2. Warn the other Woodmen settlements.
3. Scout the orcs.
4. Find out where Mogdred’s forces are.
5. Better prepare/fortify the Woodmen settlements.
6. Look for the missing hunters.
7. Anything else you can think of.
Each of these goals can be paired with another mechanic (e.g. a Troublesome sub-vow, a Journey, a Delve, a Scene Challenge, etc) and every time one is dealt with, we can add Menace to the main quest if we fail, or if we take too much time (as per the Delve rulebook mechanics).

What do you think? If you like the idea, please feel free to suggest which of the above goals we should pursue first.

It was pointless to wait for Radagast to return. Idunn knew him a little, but despite this, she could not guess how much time he would need to write the letter. It could be minutes or hours-for he was a strange fellow, and not always easy to understand.

She was determined to return and check on him, but presently, the entire village seemed to need all the help it could get. She could not simply sit by while men and women remained wounded or hurt. And besides, she was not much better herself... but her own injuries could wait. Now was not the time for rest.

After evaluating the situation and giving all the aid that she could, she sought to gather her allies. When at last she found them, she told all those who did not know already what Radagast had said to her: of his request to deliver a message to the Elvenking, and of all the other information he had shared with her, though there was precious little of it.

She also spoke her mind on this matter: for if the Brown Wizard thought that this was what had to be done, then she would do it, even if she was reluctant to leave the Woodmen, her own peoples, in this dangerous situation. Yet neither Tarric nor Leesha were Woodmen; as such, she did not expect them to come, though she thought that they might want to regardless. Either way, they deserved the choice. Some might be leaving loved ones behind.

"I want to depart quickly, as soon as I have the letter. It is a long journey to the elves, more than two hundred miles as the crow flies, and so I must travel with all haste. But if I ride hard throughout the day, then I hope to reach them more quickly.

The Woodmen do not have many horses, but for such an important task, I think they would spare one. And I have my own, so two steeds would be sufficient..." she concluded, and then, turning to Leesha, she added: "...if you are willing to ride with one of us."

OOC

spacer.pngI think it's a good opportunity to regroup and RP a little bit, if you are so inclined; for example by sharing information and discussing what we are doing next (though we have already done so in the OOC). Idunn doesn't know about the missing hunters, and all the information that Tarric uncovered. That could help her formulate a better-informed plan.

If it's not clear from the IC post above, Idunn is right now a proponent of Route 1, mainly because it is faster and she can use her horse. She is suggesting that they find a horse for Tarric (Leesha can ride with one of them) and depart with all haste. The info about the missing hunters (from Tarric) and associated Vow/quest will of course change her mind, but I am happy to RP it, for some additional characterization of the PCs. But we can hand-wave it too, if folks prefer.

Otherwise, Idunn can happily info-drop, since she's a Woodswoman and all, and knows the region (and the routes) reasonably well. IC questions are welcome and could form the basis of some good RP.

If Leesha is forthcoming with her heals, Idunn would definitely appreciate a healer's touch too! She's not too bad in healing others herself, with that +3 Wits, but nowhere near as good as Leesha (who's got Herbalist) and mediocre at healing her own wounds (+2 Iron). But up to @teth!

"It is an important task to notify the elves," Tarric agreed. A pensive frown marked his face. "But there are additional factors to consider. I have heard from others that there are yet some hunters that have not returned, among them my friend Rathdan, who is among our most experienced. And the lack of news coming to us from Mogdred about these orcs... I fear what may happen, or have already happened, to the messengers between villages.

"I propose we take a slightly longer route, and make certain those Woodmen villages along the route to the elves have been warned. And I, personally, intend to seek out sign of Rathdan and the other missing ones along the way as well. That is my own mission, but I will be grateful if you will lend your aid."

OOC/Mechanics

Here we go, Swear an Iron Vow on Tarric's part to do everything he can to discover Rathdan and the missing hunters, and if possible, get them to safety.

So that's Swear an Iron Vow (Troublesome), +heart. I think it is safe to say that some sort of bond does come in to play here in favor of Rhosgobel or Rathdan, so that gives +1. Action (6) vs Challenge (5,2) - Strong Hit (Tarric/we are emboldened and it is clear what to do next. +2 momentum... puts him at 10 since that's max.)

After the last series of events, Leesha was left wondering how much time had actually past. Since arriving back and meeting with Radagast, Leesha hadn't done much without a patient to tend to. And by not much, it entailed keeping her hands busy prepping more herbs for no particular reason. But without a small task, she wouldn't have been able to keep her mouth shut, which she did. She figured that suggesting to the crowd to have everyone evacuate and run wasn't on the table but hell, orcs? She really hadn't expected to arrive in the middle of a war zone.

So Leesha looked up in surprised when directly addressed by one of the hunters who'd gone with them, Iduun. "Umm... yeah, that would be fine. We don't have full grown horses that we ride in the Shire so its probably best that way anyways."

Leesha mostly ignored Tarric's statements about elves and routes, mostly because she didn't quite follow, but was sure her companions were more experienced than her on far travels. She obviously hadn't made a confident impression as Radagast eyed her skeptically but said nothing. Leesha herself didn't necessary feel actively fearful anymore, but was still wondering what she was going to do next time orcs attacked while idly wondering about the ride.

Her eyes widened as she continue to stare at Idunn. She wasn't in critical condition when compared to their other patient, but Leesha was surprised she'd missed such obvious wounds. "By the... are you alright?" Leesha moved over to Idunn, doing a cursory examination. "Why didn't you say something! Sit down over there!"

Having wounds to tend to, Leesha seemed to get into action rather quickly, trying her best to shove Idunn into a chair and getting some of the herbs she'd collected out to heal. She idly thought that being a traveling doctor was already how she had planned to stay afloat while wandering about, and there were going to be many who needed that service soon to come.

Idunn had sat down to allow Leesha to treat her injuries, however minor. They were mostly bruises: they would heal on their own in time, and there was little point to making a big fuss about them. Worst of all was that cut across her thigh: it was superficial, but it stung, and could lead to a nasty infection. She remained stoic as the hobbit bandaged it up.

"It's nothing." she said, trying her best to appear nonchalant. "I've had worse." she added, suppressing painful winces as Leesha did her work. She played the part of the patient well, seeming stolid and accepting, with only small and short-lived flinches betraying pain.

All the while she spoke to Tarric, in part to distract herself. She did not know this Rathdan well, but he seemed his friend, and she could understand the concern. Yet when she spoke of the matter her words were grim, and perhaps not the most tactful.

"I will come with you, but it will cause a delay. There is no guarantee that they remain alive. But we can spare perhaps some time, though not much. Was...*Is* he your friend?"

By that point Leesha seemed close to finishing. She thanked her plainly, and awaited Tarric's reply.

Tarric sighed deeply. "Rathdan is my friend, yes, and my wife's older brother. Though I would search for him and the other missing ones regardless of the tie." He shrugged, but more helpless than indifferent. It was what it was; no-one should be left in the orcs' cruel hands, even dead.

"If the delay becomes too great... well. It will depend on the situation. But at need you could leave me behind," Tarric offered. "Though of course I hope it will not come to that. I feel confident that we will find at least some trace of them quickly."

OOC/Mechanics

creating random npc links go! heh
Tarric is good to go whenever. With the strong hit on the vow, he's feeling confident at the moment. Concerned, but confident.

Idunn nodded in understanding, reaffirming her decision to help Tarric find his friend.

"Then we must set out at once to Black Tarn Hall. It is not far, and I know Amaleoda, the young leader of the village, and I have friends and a roof to stay under. Perhaps we can find Rathdan there, if we are lucky."

Black Tarn Hall was merely a few hours' journey from Rhosgobel, along winding and narrow paths through the forest that Amaleoda and her folk had cut in recent years. Being one of the newest houses of the Woodmen, it was small, essentially a hamlet, located on the shores of the Black Tarn, where the Dusky River spilled into the lake. There the Woodmen had raised roundhouses on stilts about the shores of the lakes, and relied on fishing as much as hunting to provide for their families.

"If we depart soon, and move as quickly as possible, then we might make it before the sunset." She looked around, mildly irritated or frustrated. "Where is Radagast? He ought to be finished by now. I must go search for him. Will you come?"

OOC

Just a small post to keep things moving. Feel free to continue the RP, if you want; if not, then I'll just have Idunn pick up the letter from Radagast.

Because the journey to Black Tarn is so short, let's not use any journey mechanics yet. A simple Face Danger +edge (for moving quickly) should do. Happy to roll it when the time comes.

"Of course - the sooner the better." Tarric straightened up and rolled his shoulders, loosening the muscles.

He scratched his beard meditatively and looked to Leesha. "Is there anything you might need to do or supplies you need to gather before we go? Or any patients we should check on? If there is, perhaps I could help with that while Idunn seeks out Radagast. Else, we could all search for the wizard."

Leesha shook her head. "Nah, aside from the patient in front of me, I don't any any patients. I haven't been here long enough to build up a list of patients." Leesha also checked her supplies, seeing that she was well set. "Lets go find Radagast. He knows all kinds of magic right? I'm sure he'll be finished."

Having reached a consensus, the small band of three companions made haste to Radagast's house. They need not wait for long once outside. Soon, the Brown Wizard emerged, letter in hand. He listened to what they had to say; as they laid out their plan, he appeared a little worried at first, but ultimately raised no objections to journeying along the various settlements of the Woodmen first.

"I will send out other messengers as well," he said at length, "my feathered forest friends will fly on swift wings, and warn the elves before you do. They will be expecting you, yet I fear that the king will not act before you reach him, and the message is too important to entrust to a raven."

As he said this, an unseen raven crowed angrily from the cover of the foliage of a nearby tree, voicing in its tongue some objection. Radagast turned towards the direction whence the cry had come, and looked absent-mindedly for a moment, before returning his gaze to the companions. He had more to say to them.

"If Thranduil proves obstinate, remind him that the Beast is terrible, and that if its gaze was no longer focused on the Woodmen, it would quickly turn to the North. If there is any indication that the Orcs are organized by some agency... matters are dangerous indeed. Go swiftly! There is no time to lose."

Idunn nodded, and when the Brown Wizard handed over the message, she allowed one of her companions to take it. It bore his seal, which she presumed the Elvenking would recognize. Soon, she proceeded to seek her steed and gather her final supplies before meeting the others by the starting gate.

Mechanics

Probably a Face Danger +edge as we are trying to move quickly. +1 from Wildblood.

Face Danger:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 1 (Total = 4)
d10 Results: 10, 9 (Total = 19)
Sum Total: 23

Edit: A miss! Sorry everyone! I'll try and think of an appropriate Pay the Price over the weekend. Ideas welcome. Adding failure to track...