Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

Bróin listened to the Woodwoman's words and felt his heart sink. Had the worst finally happened? Had the orcs finally begun their campaign of annihilation against the Men of Wilderland? "No, that's not it. There's urgency to her voice aye, but not that urgent. Perhaps these attacks do presage a larger raid on the villages in the region, but by all accounts it is simply that, a raid." Even still, he reckoned, orcish raids were not unlike the swarming of locust; destructive as a rule, quick to escalate, and damned near impossible to contain once they do. Best to nip this in the bud sooner rather than later, and in that Bróin saw no small opportunity...

"The good huntress speaks wisely and true in matters of war my lady. Best to leave a small defending force here to meet any ravening orc raiders set on razing Black Tarn to cinders, while the rest of your warriors shepherd the villagers to join your kin at Rhosgobel. There, like as not, is where battle will needs be joined against this warband, and every able arm shall be of great aid in that venture." The well-dressed Dwarf's voice bent towards an oleaginous tone, one used to using fawning words and laudation in no small measure to get what he wants.

"An ordeal to be sure my lady, though I'd wager the real battle here is to be waged in the Halls of the Elvenking. Thranduil's insouciance to affairs outside the Woodland Realm is infamous... which is why I'd best join with this good company making for his lands. I've done no small amount of business with Elves in the past and, immodest though it may be to say, I believe my services would be invaluable in any such dealings."

Sidling up next to Lady Amaleoda, Bróin leans in and whispers softly yet surely. "Matters of remuneration can be saved for when I return with tidings from Mirkwood, my lady of Black Tarn. Consider it an... investment. Perhaps one of many more to come?"

OOC/Rolls

Gonna roll to Swear an Iron Vow ahead of my post. Per Fortune Hunter I'll be adding +1 to the roll.
Challenge Dice (11) = 6,5, 

Action Die (7) = 7

Alrighty, a strong hit there. Bróin is emboldened and its clear he needs to join up with Radagast's envoys. +2 Momentum, and should we succeed at this quest he'll get 3 Wealth out of the deal.

Was evacuating Black Tarn to Rhosgobel a good idea? Tarric wasn't sure. It would depend, he suspected, upon how many were wounded and just how gravely. If too many could not be moved... well. At any rate, it was unlikely to happen today, given the hour -- even if Amaleoda immediately latched on to that plan it would take the rest of the day to organize, at the very least.

The Beorning slanted a dubious glance at the glib dwarf in blue as he began to speak. What a twisting mountain of words just to say he agreed with Idunn's suggestion! At least, he was pretty sure that's what the dwarf meant. Probably.

Tarric shook his head to dismiss his confusion and patted a hand on Idunn's shoulder in support. "Whether you choose to join Rhosgobel or stay, we will do what we can to aid your preparations here," he addressed Amaleoda respectfully. "But we must not delay long before we continue our task."

Slightly to the side he spotted a Woodsfolk woman standing in Amaleoda's group. She looked familiar... Jas, Jan, Jen... Jenowyn! Yes that was it. She looked the worse for wear and alarmingly in need of rest. And perhaps even more alarming, her family (including Istan, who he would most expect) was not beside her for this council. He kept his place, as the discussion was not yet concluded, but he kept a concerned eye in Jenowyn's direction.

OOC/Mechanics

Added the 2nd mark on the Defend the Woodmen vow for reaching Amaleoda.

Doing a couple Oracle rolls just to get a feel for if Tarric knows the other characters here.
- Does Tarric know/recognize Jenowyn and Istan (and the rest of her family in Black Tarn)? Feels Likely, given his travels and the fact there are several of them he might have met, leading to meet the rest. 

Oracle (26+ = yes) (71) Yep!

- Does Tarric know/recognize Dunstan? I'll put this slightly less likely at 50/50 given he's a single person and their wanderings may not have coincided yet. 

Oracle (51+ = yes) (48). Just barely no. Perhaps he's seen Dunstan around but not directly talked to/met him.
- (I feel like Tarric does not yet know Bróin so I'll just go with that)

Jenowyn felt the breath she had been holding in her lungs slowly leave her. There was to be no aide from Rhosgobel, and worse yet, the woman at the front of the party had suggested moving the villagers. But was to be done for poor Istan* and the others still in their beds, injured and incapable of making such a journey?!

She made to take a step forward, to voice her concern, but one of the members of the dwarven contingent spoke first, and of splitting the Black Tarn's warriors between two different parties! Such a foolish plan -- surely if they did not keep the full of their strength here, there would be no Black Tarn to return to?

And finally, a third voice entered the fray, and her eyes widened upon seeing him. Tarric! It had been many seasons since she had last seen him and at the Woodland Hall* last. He was a friend to the Woodmen, and she nodded a small greeting as she stepped forward to stand before Amaleoda.

"My lady, please do not abandon our home!" Jenoywn urged, looking imploringly around the room to the other Woodmen that were present. "We are still strong enough within our fortifications to hold with our current numbers. And even at the best of times, not everyone is strong enough for the journey to Rhosgobel. Should they be attacked along the road I fear that we would lose far more than if we were to stay and hold our position here - in our home." 

She looked beseechingly at Amaleoda, hoping her words would find a home in the other woman's heart, before she let her gaze shift slightly back towards the original group of travelers.

"Tarric, it is good to see you still well," she says her voice growing softer now that she no longer addresses the full room. "You mention you must move quickly. I know you to be well traveled, but do you and your companion have any need for further guidance through this section of wood?" she asked, looking between Tarric and Idunn.

spacer.pngspacer.pngAmaleoda listened to the speakers, while beside her Bofri stood patiently, observing but not saying a word. After his kin, Bróin, had spoken, he gave him a quiet look and a subtle nod, indicating that he would be paid in full if he were to undertake this task, and prove true his good relationship with the elves.

As for Amaleoda, she too paused to give the good dwarf a brief look, but she was not of a mind to negotiate a reward presently. Other matters seemed far more pressing. But she did not say no either, and besides: Bofri’s pockets ran far deeper. Amaleoda would give what she could, for she had proven a good and fair host in the past, but the Woodmen were a simple folk, with few riches that could be counted in coins.

When Jenowyn had offered the counter-point, Amaleoda broke her silence, and spoke to dispel any notion of evacuation. "No need for talk of fleeing," she said to Idunn and to those assembled, "…it is far too soon to even consider it. If worse comes to worst, we shall move the wounded to Woodmen Town by ship, along the Dusky River, under the protection of the River-maidens. But not yet."

She paused, and probed the response. Her peoples were indeed troubled by the attack, but they were far from dismayed, and all were relieved to hear that Amaleoda thought they should stay.

"These news are troubling. Rhosgobel has been attacked; if the other towns suffered a similar fate, then things are dire indeed. They must be so if seeking out the elves was the wizard’s counsel. You must make haste; I will send word to Radagast of what has happened here, and he can advise us accordingly. Perhaps he will even come, as he has done before. But give me a moment to speak to my folk."

OOC

I think this is the point where new PCs can be tasked with joining the group, as aid from Black Tarn Hall on their mission. Supplies and such can also be provided, but since our supply track is at its maximum value (+5), this will have no mechanical impact. Finally, we will need to decide if we will travel to Woodmen town by boat or on foot, and determine the rank of the journey to the Forest Gate, where the Elf Road starts. I suggest Dangerous, but let’s put it to a vote.

RedShoes and TheObsoleteMan, if you want to take brief control of Amaleoda to have her task your character(s) with joining the group, please feel free. Or you can summarize it or hand-wave it; it’s really up to you!

spacer.pngspacer.pngAfter the meeting had been adjourned, and all had been allowed to wander about the village, each pursuing their own goals and interests, Idunn sought out Cilderic, her old friend. What little she had overheard from Tarric and Rathdan had made her worry; she feared that Cilderic would sink in one of those grim moods that so often took him. She could not blame him, given his history. But perhaps she could help.

Besides this, another thought was at the forefront of her mind. Where was Mogdred? He had promised to aid the Woodmen against the orcs! This was, after all, the sole reason his folk had been admitted into the Houses of the Woodmen a mere two years prior! If he could not keep his oath, then of what use was he to them?

When she found her friend, she spoke to him these thoughts, and sought to understand the reason. Had Mogdred betrayed them, or had he too been overwhelmed by the orcs? She needed to know, even if there was little she could do about it presently.

OOC

Attempting a Gather Information move. I'll write the results in a different post. Everyone else, feel free to do whatever you want during this limited downtime scene, as discussed in Discord!

Gather Information:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 5, 6 (Total = 11)
Sum Total: 19

Edit: Strong hit. Something helpful & specific. Hm. +2 momentum.

Idunn had a humble holding in Black Tarn Hall: a simple hunter's cabin up in the trees, that she had entrusted to her friend to look after when she was not living there, which was most of the time. It was there that the two of them presently were, discussing matters over cups of mead that she had brought from Beorn's Hall in bottles that Greycloud had carried.

For his part, Cilderic looked like he needed some drink, especially after everything that had transpired. The deaths of Leofred and Egbert weighed heavily on his conscience.

When Idunn had pressed him on the matter of Mogdred and his men, Cilderic had but guesses to offer. In recent months, and especially before the winter, Mogdred's men had come here often. They spoke of orcs, yes. But they always spoke of orcs and of Fenbridge. To the Woodmen, it seemed that always Mogdred was pressing them to give more by way of provisions and supplies and even coin. He would say that he needed all of that, and more, to hold back the evils of the forest. But many doubted him, thinking that he only sought to extract from them all that he could under that pretext.

Now Mogdred had not come, and Cilderic could do nothing but wonder if he had been telling the truth all along.

Idunn cursed at the ill tidings. She could not pursue this thread; not until after her task had been fulfilled. But Cilderic promised to see to it. Perhaps he merely wished to redeem himself for his grave error. Idunn did not try to change him mind. She knew he was capable, and hoped that he could get to the bottom of this while she journeyed to the Woodland Realm.

Bróin bowed his head respectfully to Amaleoda, his attention turning away from the affairs of Black Tarn as he took stock of the journey before him. "We could take the Dusky River ourselves, if Black Tarn can part with a boat... no, not fast enough. We'd be going against the current, and with the terrain on the borders of the Eaves as it is t'would be a slog to even reach Woodmen Town, let alone Woodland Hall. Nay, our best bet would be to cut a path straight as the arrow flies through the Vales. Easy going for the most part, relatively safe thanks to the Woodmen and Beornings, and should the need arise we can rest at the Old Ford or one of the Beornings settlements."

Bróin stepped outside the Great Hall once Amaleoda asked to speak with the clan leaders of Black Tarn, thankful for the opportunity to finally stretch his legs after his long travels. While rubbing the tension out of his knees though, he heard a familiar voice speak up.

"Age finally catching up with you old man?" Vara of Ravenhill, Bróin's companion of many years, preened her feathers while sitting on the roof of the Great Hall.

"Ha! Now that's a lark coming from you! Or do you think I haven't noticed the streaks of silver in your feathers?"

Vara glided down from her perch and landed in front of Bróin. The two began a hushed conversation, Vara updating Bróin on what she's seen with her bird's eye view while Bróin informed her on how things went at the Old Ford.

OOC/Rolls

I'm gonna try my own Gather Information roll, using Vara's reconnaissance to get more perspective on the situation.
Challenge Dice (15) = 7,8, 

Action Dice (8) = 8

Weak hit, so +1 Momentum but the information complicates our quest or introduces a new danger. Seems like a good chance to Ask the Oracle on the Major Plot Twist board.

Major Plot Twist (41) = 'You and an enemy share a common goal'. That one doesn't really work here, so I'm gonna go up a row and settle on 'A more dangerous foe is revealed'.

How does a Mountain Troll sound?

It took a moment for Tarric to reply, as he listened to Amaleoda's decision. Likely the better course, he judged, and hoped it would work out that way in truth. At last he was able to speak, in a similar lowered tone. "Jenowyn, good to see you as well, though you look more in need of rest than of providing guidance. Are you all right? Is Istan all right? I did not see him among the wounded, but then I admit I was seeing to my own friend--" he gestured to Rathdan nearby "--before this meeting."

OOC

n/a on mechanics, but I'm thinking perhaps (if Jenowyn doesn't need to stay by Amaleoda's side) we could go and talk -- could gloss it over with a summary if desired to not RP it all out -- with a visit to Istan. Maybe during/after that talk, Tarric could set out to create those talismans for the group, before evening or before we set out again (whichever comes first).

Time passed, and between tending to their own, speaking to their friends, and gathering provisions, there was not much of it left by the point that they were done. Nightfall was fast approaching, and all that they could do was rest, and gather their strength for the journey ahead. That was most prudent.

Idunn was weary by the time the sun had sank. She had spent most of her evening helping Cilderic bury the dead. The man was still shaken by the day's events, yet he felt duty-bound to do this at least for the families of the slain. The huntress did not have the heart to leave him alone to face this. When at last they were done, darkness had fallen, and they listened to what few solemn words those gathered had to say about these unfortunate souls, and they clenched their fists at the mention of orcs, and inwardly swore for vengeance.

Yet nothing was left to do after all of this was said and done, and so the two retired to the cabin, and spent the night, and in the crack of dawn, Idunn reunited with Tarric and the others, those of Black Tarn Hall that were to join them. Their destination lay ahead of them, and soon she hoped that they could warn all the Woodmen settlements that lay in the eaves of the forest, before taking on the more difficult task of seeking aid from the elves.

"Is everyone ready?" she asked them plainly, as she adjusted a satchel on her steed, and summoned her hunting-hound to her side.

Mechanics

Okay, a couple of things:

1. Feel free to wrap up loose ends, either narrative/RP (e.g. the discussion between Tarric and Jenowyn, or Vara's report, or anything else) or mechanical (like making Talismans for Tarric, healing moves, or anything else). If you prefer, you can split your post into two parts (day before.../presently...).

2. Someone should make the Undertake a Journey move. Remember, for those who share a Bond with Black Tarn Hall, you can add +1. Idunn does not, so happy to leave this to another.

Progress (Dangerous journey): □□□□□□□□□□

3. Another player should take the Advance a Threat move. This reflects our (Idunn and Tarric's, but soon the others' as well) reluctance to take the most direct route to the elves, and opting instead to warn the settlements. For those that don't have Delve, the player making this move basically needs to roll 1d100 and consider the outcome:
1-30: The threat readies its next step, or a new danger looms.
If you are in a position to prevent this development, you
may attempt to do so. If you succeed, Reach a Milestone.
Otherwise, mark menace.
31-70: The threat works subtly to advance toward its goal, or the
danger escalates. Mark menace.
71-100: The threat makes a dramatic and immediate move, or a major
event reveals new complications. Mark menace twice.

We can interpret the outcome together (perhaps following a discussion on Discord). I personally favor something subtle to gradually build up tension, but the die will tell.

4. For the sake of simplicity, let's say that Leesha and Ingi (whose players are currently inactive) stay behind at Black Tarn Hall to help with the injured & the defenses.

Good luck!

"You're certain of what you saw? Well and truly?" Bróin's face had grown more and more worrisome as Vara brought him up to speed. In all the years the two had worked together her sight had been faultless... but if there was ever a time she was wrong, he hoped beyond hope that it would be now.

Vara preened her feathers, a nervous tic she's had for as long as she could remember, as she locked eyes with Bróin. "Alas old friend that mine eyes are as sharp as the day they first beheld the cloudless sky. The Enemy has a Mountain Troll waiting due west of the Green River, though the beast could be ranging farther still. Spiders seemed to be giving it a wide berth, as to be expected of such dangerous game. Still, there's no doubt that the beast hungers for the meat and blood of the Northmen in these eaves."

Bróin let out a sigh of consternation. "Well now... that certainly complicates things. But then again should fortune favour us we'll likely never cross paths with a beast like that." A tilt of Vara's head reminds him that there's yet things she needs to know. Bróin spends the next several minutes updating Vara on the journey ahead...

-----

Bróin quickly but still charmingly introduces Vara and himself to the assembled company before double checking that all his gear is at hand. "We've ample supplies and fine weather, I see no reason to dally."

"I shall fly ahead and make sure the way is clear of obstructions, orcish or otherwise." Vara takes off from Bróin's shoulder with a few flaps of her wings, ascending through the air quickly in a northly direction.

OOC/Rolls

Here's the Undertake a Journey Roll.
Action Dice (6) = 6. 

Challenge Dice (7) = 1,6

Weak Hit, so we reach a waypoint and mark progress, but suffer -1 supply.

spacer.png

♫ The Pathless – Meditations – Discovery, One ♫

Time: Morning, nine days after the attack
Location: Outside Woodmen-Town, also known as the Hall of Bathi

spacer.pngFor the next few days, the band travelled through the narrow paths the Woodmen had cut through the oakwood, not straying far from the Dusky River, whose flowing waters defined the path. They sought to reach Woodmen Town, the oldest of the mannish settlements here, a journey that they expected would take a little over a week.

They were led by Bróin and his feathered companion. At first Idunn was skeptical of the dwarf’s ability to act as their guide. She knew that many of his kin were well-travelled and skillful, yet she did not think them as woods-wise as her own folk, and thought she ought to interfere if things went awry. Nonetheless, she had decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. It was not without some measure of surprise that she found her uncertainties quickly disproven, for the stout fellow seemed as capable as any Woodman in following the secret paths. ’They have learned well during these two years.’ she thought quietly on most nights, when they made camp and sat by the fire, concluding that Bofri and his dwarves had used their time well. She wondered at times how Bofur’s son’s task fared, and what progress they had made towards restoring the old road, but she did not ask Bróin, for they had a different task now, one far more urgent.

Day by day, they passed through what few steadings and holdings and waystations the Woodmen had raised in these lands. These were few and far between, for most menfolk had placed their long-houses nearer the eaves of Mirkwood, which were safer. The companions brought tidings of what had happened at Rhosgobel and at Black Tarn. In exchange, they received news from the hunters and gatherers brave enough to dwell this deep in the woods. There had been sightings, but the orcs had not attacked here, though some spoke of unusual spider activity beyond the river. This seemed to fall in line with what they themselves had observed during their journey. For they had seen no traffic down the Dusky River, but many times they noticed dense spider-webs hanging from the trees, above the running waters Those who had weaved them remained hidden from sight, as if invisible to all but the keenest-eyed.

At length they neared Woodmen Town, and the Hall of Bathi, and the paths grew wider and better-traversed as they approached in the morning. The journey had taken eight days, and was at times a slow slog through densely wooded, difficult terrain. They could have moved much faster along the eaves, but they had been determined to warn all the settlements. Now this goal-one of many that defined their task-lay within arm’s reach.

Mercifully, the journey had been uneventful, and none amongst them had any injuries greater than insect bites or skin-deep abrasions. As the town begun to appear at the distance, all amongst them that were weary from the road no doubt felt eager to rest their feet, and leave the paths behind them, if only for a single night.

OOC / Mechanics

Before I write the main body of this post (the IC text), I'll take the Advance a Threat Move to better color the contents.

Advance a Threat:
Dice Roll: 1d100
d100 Results: 11

11: The threat readies its next step, or a new danger looms. If you are in a position to prevent this development, you may attempt to do so. If you succeed, Reach a Milestone. Otherwise, mark menace.
Hm. Will need to think about this. Already I have some ideas. More on Discord...

Ok, so currently, there's a few things we can do:
1. Anyone who wants to set the scene for the next bit, feel free to paint a picture (it can be short too). If you want inspiration and/or setting info, it can be found here (link). Also feel free to give a POV post, share some music that seems to fit, give a summary of the journey from your character's perspective whatever you want!
2. Remember that the Supply track is shared, so everyone should drop it to 4/5.
3. We can all mark progress on our journey. Progress (Dangerous journey): ■■□□□□□□□□
4. Let's brainstorm some small side-quest or trouble. I am thinking something spider-related, but other suggestions are welcome too! If we succeed, we can mark more progress. If we fail, we should mark menace, as per the Advance a Threat outcome.

I hope you don't mind me fast-forwarding to Woodmen Town. I think the map lends itself well to waypoints in this Dangerous Journey being settlements. I'd love to do an extended RP scene around the campfire at some point, let me know if you are keen! Perhaps later when we take the Make Camp move.

Whether in spite of or as a response to their dark and dreary environs they find themselves in, Bróin is chatty for much of the journey along the Dusky River. Most of the conversations place his travelling companions front and centre; where do you hail from, how long have you been in Wilderland, do you prefer milk of goat or cow and so on. It seems that the Dwarf is doing more than simply making conversation to pass the time however, but is also taking their measure. Was he looking to try and sell them something here of all places? Only time would tell.

"Me? Well there's not much to tell all told. My father and his kin were from Erebor and like so many fled Smaug's Desolation. I was born after our people had settled in Dunland, but grew up in a township built on the banks of the River Lhûn in the Blue Mountains."

"As you've no doubt surmised I'm a merchant by trade, and in fact have plied said trade for oh, a century-and-a-half or thereabouts? Crossed the Misty Mountains a few years back though with some kin. Laketown's where the coin's at folks, believe you me. And once the Old Forest Road is open again you bet you'll be seeing more Dalish craft in these woods."

Upon their arrival at Woodmen-Town, Bróin sends Vara to check out the Market Green for anything of note. "Some goods in from the Toft, trappers from among Beorn's folk... oh! A small caravan of Erringmen are in the area it seems, based on the woodwork being peddled. Could be that their wagon-captain's in need of a broker for some goods." Bróin stroked his beard as he ruminated on his partner's words...

Idunn was content to speak little during their journey. Indeed, she was more than glad to leave most of the talking to her dwarven companion. As to herself, she gave what information was asked of her, for she had few secrets, though she guessed that either of her fellows might have heard some of it, either from Radagast or another, such as the folk of Black Tarn Hall, some of whom knew her.

And so she shared with all that she hailed from Mountain-Hall, which they called Firienseld in the tongues of her folk, the most distant of the Woodmen settlements - so much so that some of her kin did not even regard her folk as true Woodmen. It lay nestled and hidden in the Misty-Mountains, closer to the lands of the Beornings than the eaves of Mirkwood. But she called the forest and the towns and villages here second homes, and visited frequently.

At length she even revealed that she was cousin to one of Beorn's thanes, a man who had joined the Bear-Lord not long after the peoples of Anduin proclaimed him leader, though Thane Merovech (for that was her cousin's name) had recently been slain by orcs. She said she was an emissary and go-between for the disparate Menfolk of Wilderland: mountain-folk and forest-folk, Beornings and Viglundings; she had travelled much, and knew some of their customs and peculiarities.

"I know Bofri too," she said as soon as Vara had returned with her tidings, marvelling at her gift of speech, and added: "...your dwarven kin." As if it was not obvious already. But she continued, undeterred by any response, asking eagerly: "How goes his task with the Old Forest Road?"

OOC

Since things are slightly slowing down (which I am totally ok with, it's just part of PbP), I'm more than happy to do some RP.

Regarding the Old Forest Road, I ran (a few years back, but only 1 year ago in in-game terms) The Marsh Bell (link), but altered it slightly so that the mission was not finding/rescuing the two missing dwarves, but rather finding and restoring the Eastfort, an old waystation at the place where the Old Forest Road exited Mirkwood. This mission had Bofri and Gloin involved, though none of the current PCs (Idunn/Tarric) were part of it, so they likely know nothing (or rumours at best).

If you want, we can easily say that Bróin was somehow involved. Perhaps not directly (as he wasn't in the party), but maybe he partially funded the endeavor (which could explain why he might be short on cash-it was an investment)? Or perhaps he has been helping with the restoration of the Eastfort, which is still ongoing? Or perhaps he was part of the negotiations with the elves about the Eastfort? The elves were instrumental in eliminating all the Marsh-Dwellers in our story. Or it can be combinations of the above.

Just some food for thought. You can also come up with your own ideas. And Bróin doesn't have to reveal anything, either (dwarves are secretive folk, after all). Just thought I'd give you the context so that we can keep some narrative consistency.

I think Darkening/Heart says that there were four waystations/forts along the Old Forest Road, so their restoration could be part of the greater task. I think Staff of the Roadwarden (an adventure from Darkening) involves one of those forts, so could be handy for the future.

The trek to Woodmen Town was much more talkative than Tarric was used to, thanks to Bróin. The Beorning still had difficulty understanding such strong desire for coin, but he could appreciate the dwarf's skills. And he was quite fascinated by the talking bird, sneaking Vara little snacks at various opportunities. (Not forgetting Idunn's hound or their horses either, but... well, they didn't talk. That he knew of.)

For the most part Tarric answered questions willingly enough, though he did not have much to tell compared to his companions. Still he ventured tales about Rhosgobel and Radagast, and made no secret about his ability to turn into a bear when necessary.

Whenever his hands were not otherwise occupied, he gathered bits and pieces from the forest around them and, extracting some scraps of leather and bits of bright thread from his gear, at length fashioned each of them a miniature talisman and presented it with a small flourish. "Against orcs," he said. "It may be superstition, but then again, it may not. For certain it will do no harm." His own went straight into a chest pocket.

OOC/Mechanics

Marked 2 boxes progress on the journey, removed 1 supply.
Talisman for Idunn vs Orcs - Action (5) vs Challenge (10,1) - (Weak Hit) When Idunn opposes an orc with a move, she can take +1 on it. If the action die rolls a 1, the talisman is spent, otherwise she can continue using it.
Talisman for Bróin vs Orcs - Action (6) vs Challenge (7,10) - (Miss) No help against orcs, it seems... (marked 1 failure tick for Tarric).
Talisman for Tarric himself vs Orcs - Action (5) vs Challenge (7,5) - (Miss) No luck here either. (another failure tick for Tarric).

Bróin smiles and nods as Idunn tells her tale. "Mountain Hall you say? A happy surprise that! I made the acquaintance of Chief Hartfast a few years ago. As I recall it was after your miners struck that first vein of gold? He was almost dwarf-like in his manner all told, and I mean that as a compliment; in all my years in Wilderland I've not met so stubborn a negotiator, save for mine own people. Cost me a good bit of Dalish and Dwarven steel aye, but the coin I made back selling the gold on Trader's Isle was more than worth it."

On the matter of the Old Forest Road Bróin waivers his hand. Not great, but not terrible. "The Eastfort, meaning the waystation where the Long Marshes meet Mirkwood, has been found and is being restored. Alas I only contributed some coin to hire swords for that venture, as I was needed in Dale and Laketown to negotiate with the merchant princes on the matter of our petition to His Grace King Bard. They are hesitant to see the road restored you see; they fear it will sap trade away from the river that has been their lifeblood for so long. Until they can be persuaded otherwise Dalish support for this project may yet be rather sparse."

Taking the proffered talisman from Tarric Bróin eyes it discerningly. "Hmmm... craftsmanship isn't half-bad laddie. And if there's any strength to the magic you say's in it... how does 100 gold for a 60/40 split sound?" He chuckles, though by his tone the Dwarf is at least half serious.

-----

Vara takes snacks and attention as they come, always surprised at the marvel she tended to inspire in Mannish folk. "I forget sometimes that while we Ravens of Ravenhill range far across Wilderland, few deign to speak with any but our Dwarven allies. You are fortunate then, to be in the company of one as loquacious as I."

Bróin can't help but snort at Vara's self-indulgent preening and peacocking...