Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

It was nearing noon when they set out for the Black Tarn: later than Idunn had hoped for, but still in time to reach the small hamlet before nightfall, if they made haste. Something that the huntress was fully intent on doing.

In one hand she held her spear raised and on the ready, sometimes leaning it against her shoulder to rest. In the other she held the leading-line, and guided Greycloud, her horse, through the forest, as the uneven ground made riding risky. Not far, Uthred followed, occasionally pausing to sniff the air, as if studying it.

They marched for merely an hour when suddenly the hound grew restless. Idunn was uneasy: she feared more orcs, and expected another attack, and so stopped dead in her tracks and observed as carefully as she could. When they made sure that it was safe, they searched the path, only to discover a faint trail of blood that led away from it, beyond the undergrowth and into the forest.

They need not follow it for long. No more than a few dozen paces from where they had been, all three of them spotted at about the same time the shape of a Woodman sitting, leaning against a tree. As they apprehensively approached, Tarric recognized him as Leofred, one of Rathdan's friends and companions. His eyes were closed, but in his hands he still held a long-hafted axe, the weapon of choice for many Woodmen. A black arrow had pierced his shoulder, yet no other injuries were visible at first glance.

Idunn set aside her spear, and she knelt by him, but not for long. After a moment, she returned to her companions, looking grim and grave, and she shook her head sadly. The unfortunate man had not survived. "Orc-poison." she remarked plainly, and asked for their help in lifting the body, to place it over her horse. He still deserved a proper burial.

Mechanics

Let's see if he is still alive; make it a 50-50 and Ask the Oracle, so alive (barely) on a 51+:

Ask the Oracle:
Dice Roll: 1d100
d100 Results: 42

Edit: Dead, so I'll have her Endure Stress (-2 Spirit):

Endure Stress:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 9)
d10 Results: 6, 2 (Total = 8)
Sum Total: 17

Edit: Strong hit. Shake it off. +1 Spirit, -1 Momentum.

Tarric bowed his head and complied, adding his strength to help lift Leofred onto Idunn's horse. Once the man was situated, the Beorning paused, resting his hand on Leofred's shoulder. Then -- "Leofred would have been with Rathdan... If we can retrace his path, maybe we can find the rest of the group, or get some hint as to what happened to them. At least, I'd like to try."

To Leesha -- "I am grateful that you are here." And to Idunn -- "Both of you. I feel like together we have a chance to help these hunters, and warn the other villages. And," he added thoughtfully, his hand straying to his belt pouch, "I might be able to make something to help ward us against these orcs. I will work on it."

Following the trail that had led them to Leofred back to the path was no issue. At that point Tarric slowed and bent down, examining the ground closely, looking for more blood droplets, displaced leaves, bootprints... anything that might indicate where Leofred had come from.

OOC/Mechanics

All right, so right now this is Gather Information to track/scout ahead so he'll use +wits and +1 from Wayfinder... let's see what we get. The 'ward' thing I'll ask about in ooc. ^_^ Action (4) vs Challenge (8,7) -- Miss (But! I've been thinking I need to burn that momentum so here's my chance. Burning momentum turns this into a Strong Hit and resets my momentum to +2, then +1 from Wayfinder for +3 momentum.

As for the results, with a Strong Hit I think maybe we do find a trace and (at least for now) it is going towards Black Tarn anyway so it is along our route. What do you think?)

It seemed hopeless at first. The packed earth of the path denied Tarric's attempts to track for several long minutes. But he could not shake the certainty that there must be a trace nearby. Luck or fate had served them well thus far...

And so it did again. With renewed vigor, the Beorning moved a bit farther than he'd originally intended, and there -- suddenly it was clear. A narrow flattened trail along the edge of the road, where the plants had only recently begun to spring back into place. A drop of blood on an upturned leaf, a dragging scuff in a looser patch of earth.

"There," he murmured, gesturing the others closer. "See, Leofred's trail lies along our path to Black Tarn. We need not detour, at least for now." Then Tarric frowned. "Though it increases my worry for the state of that settlement. We should continue with caution and watch in case the trail turns aside."

OOC/Mechanics

Marked progress on the 'Find Rathdan/the other hunters' vow - 3 boxes since it's Troublesome rank. Onward!

Idunn nodded, feeling somewhat relieved that the tracks followed a direction towards the village. Perhaps Rathdan and his party-whatever was left of it-had hurried to Black Tarn, and managed to save themselves. Moments prior, she had been worried that she would be forced to leave both her steed and its dead rider behind if Tarric was to lead them deeper into the forest. She felt uncomfortable about doing that. Now she knew that she would not have to.

spacer.png

As the sun continued its decent towards the west, the four of them made good progress, led by Tarric, who could follow any tracks he was able to find. A few hours before dusk they at last approached the village. Emerging from the forest and into the lakeside clearing, the first thing they could see was the tall bell-tower, and soon after the palisade and the gate came into view. Its doors were barred, and hunters stood guard atop small platforms behind the wooden walls, with bows strung and arrows near them. They seemed wary of them, but as soon as they could see that they were fellow Woodmen, they let them in, eager for tidings and support.

spacer.png

They were the first messengers from Rhosgobel to arrive here; others had not yet come, unless one was to count the ravens already sent out by Radagast. Idunn knew many of the people here, as well as Amaleoda, one of the leaders. She had friends here too, and a modest cabin-information she had already shared with the others. She quickly set out to tell what had happened, and to seek out Amaleoda, who would tell them all that she knew.

OOC

I left off here because I kinda ran out of time, but I think it’s reasonable to assume that some of the hunting parties scattered and ended up here, seeking shelter after the attack. So feel free to add any details or additional information as you see fit. If you’re unsure, we can always discuss OOC. I think we could also attempt moves like Gather Information, Secure an Advantage etc.

I probably should have added more of a description about the village, and I might at a later post. For now, perhaps the visuals are sufficient. There’s also entries in the Setting folder (here). Feel free to work off/build on those, if you want!

Idunn knows some of the NPCs from previous adventures so I might introduce some of them (in addition to any you want to invent, with help from mechanics if you want like hits/misses on Gather Info, for example), and ultimately we can have an RP scene with one of the leaders (Amaleoda), but no need to rush, we can first play out this arrival.

Tarric shaded his eyes as the group approached Black Tarn. One of the Woodsmen on the palisade looked familiar... It was one of the missing hunters! The Beorning called a glad greeting and raised his hand.

A moment later his face fell and he scratched at his beard as a new thought occurred to him. "Missed the site of the attack somehow..." he muttered to himself. Because Leofred couldn't have been injured here unless something very odd was going on... Well. It was time to gather what news he could.

But first - greeting the hunters and hearing their story would have to wait; they needed to pass Radagast's warning on to Amaleoda. In addition, the leader would be able to direct him to the hunters that had made it here, and tell him if Rathdan was among them.

Title

Let's ask the oracle a few things to influence this post...

First, have any of the missing hunters reached this village? (Almost certain - 11+ is yes) Oracle (33) (Yes)

Is Rathdan among the hunters that arrived? (50/50 - 51+ is yes) Oracle (77) (Yes)
Is Rathdan alive? (hmm, given his skills... Likely - 26+ is yes) Oracle (43) (Yes)
Are other hunters still missing? (Likely - 26+ is yes) Oracle (6) (No) ... huh, interesting. That would've been a 'no' even if I rated it as 'almost certain' lol. Pretty decisive!

Okay I think that (a) we mark another progress (3 boxes) on the 'find the hunters' quest. And then (b) roll a 'fulfill your vow' move to see if we're really done. So let's do that...
Fulfill Your Vow - Vow Progress 6 vs Challenge (4,1) -- (Strong Hit) Quest is complete, mark 1 experience. Clear the vow from the list.

All right! Lots of directions to go from here but let's just get this established then. A couple more rolls to set the scene...

Is Rathdan wounded? (50/50 - 51+ is yes) Oracle (61) (Yes)Can he talk despite the wound? (Likely - 26+ is yes) Oracle (54) (Yes)Of the other hunters (I'll arbitrarily say there were 10 missing hunters in addition to Rathdan and Leofred), how many are alive? (I'll do a straight percent here, round to nearest 10... hopefully I won't regret this lol) Oracle (92) (9) Wow pretty good, only one other dead beside Leofred.So of the living 9, how many are still able to fight? (straight 'percent' here but I'll just roll d90 and round again) Oracle (30) (3) Okay so 3 can still fight, I'll go with the remaining 6 are wounded enough to need healing and/or can't travel due to their wounds.

Final hunter tally/status out of 12 total missing hunters:
2 dead (Leofred + 1), 7 wounded (including Rathdan), 3 hale.

Other notes/questions -- Do you think we should mark any progress on 'Defend the Woodmen' since (a) we completed 'Find the Missing Hunters' and (b) we got here and warned Black Tarn of the wider threat? (if yes, would that be marking progress twice, once for (a) and once for (b), or would we just mark progress once? xD)

Later note: Sorry this ended up a bit short after all that rolling, lol. It occurred to me that, knowing at least some of the hunters were safe and healthy, Tarric would see the fastest and most honorable (and tactical) course to getting to check on his friends would be to 'report in' to the leaders first. So the info from the rolls will still be useful in the future posts I suppose, just not this one, heh.

spacer.pngspacer.pngIdunn did not fully comprehend what Tarric meant by his remark. As he spoke, she turned to look at him with a look that betrayed confusion; she sought to speak to him at once, so that she could understand what had happened.

"More men missing?" she wondered aloud, growing concerned at the possibility.

Yet before her companion could answer, another man approached. Idunn recognized him immediately. It had not been many months since last she had seen him.

"Rarely you come when there is no trouble." said the approaching Woodman in lieu of a greeting, his expression grave.

"Beran! Are things here dire?" Idunn asked bluntly. In this time of crisis there was little time for introductions.

For the next few minutes, Beran told them what he knew. It did not take long for the picture to emerge: when the hunting parties had been attacked, some had fled to Rhosgobel and others here. The death toll had not been graver than that in Radagast's village, but there were many wounded: some lightly, but some more grievously.

"A few good men have been lost," he said at last, and looked to Idunn's horse and its grim cargo and commented: "...and you too have lost some of your own, as I can plainly see. A black day."

She could not argue with that, but now was not the time for mourning-not yet. "This is Tarric, son of Lorric. One of Beorn's, and a good friend to the Woodmen." Then, she turned to Tarric, and introduced the newcomer: "And this is Beran, Radagast's man. An old friend. Whatever you say to me, you can say to him as well."

Introductions now out of the way, she fell silent for a moment, allowing the two men to speak, should they wish to.

Mechanics

Nice rolls!

I'll make a roll too, to see who Idunn meets here, just so we have a chance to RP a bit, if you want, before meeting Amaleoda.

1-Beran
2-Bofri
3-Cilderic
4-Evoric

NPC determination:
Dice Roll: 1d4
d4 Results: 1

OOC

I am good with marking progress in the "Defend the Woodmen" quest, and even doing so twice-once for finding the hunters, and another for warning the village (perhaps later, when we talk to Amaleoda).

I'm going to leave the scene here so that you can jump in, and feel free to talk to Beran (if you want). I'll happily RP him. I guess Tarric needs to decide if he's seeking out Rathdan first or heading straight to Amaleoda. If it's the former, please feel free to introduce NPCs e.g. Rathdan and generally drive the plot forward, given your strong hit in fulfilling the vow.

I may slightly slow down the game-not in terms of posting rate but simply by prolonging the RP-to get some time to write an ad and recruit a couple more people. Narratively, I think this village is a good place pick up a couple more PCs, given that there's many scattered hunters from all the various Woodmen settlements.

He had thought to wait until the most urgent message was delivered, but here was an opportunity Tarric could not pass by. He nodded greeting at the introduction. "Well met, Beran. Though yes, it has been a black day. Would you be able to tell me, of the hunters from Rhosgobel that reached here, was a man named Rathdan among them?"

Relief lightened the lines of his face when he heard his friend was alive, though wounded. And better yet, that all of the missing hunters were now accounted for, if not hale. Though Leofred and one other had died, it could have been a great deal worse. Tarric thanked Beran and looked to Idunn. "Rathdan may have details to add to our report," he suggested. "And further... I would like to see for myself his condition. Leesha as well may be able to lend some aid here with so many wounded. Would you object to seeking out Rathdan before speaking with Amaleoda?"

OOC/Mechanics

Marked 1 progress for now on 'Defend the Woodmen' quest, for finding the hunters. Like you said, we can do the second when we actually talk to Amaleoda.

spacer.pngspacer.png"I'll take you to him." said Beran without a moment's hesitation, and led the lot of them past the palisade, and into one of the round-houses that stood on stilts, raised above the surface of the lake. There, the wounded had been gathered, and soon enough Leesha and Idunn found much work for themselves, helping the healers of that hall to deal with all sorts of injuries, grave and minor.

It did not take long for Beran and Tarric to spot Rathdan. He had not suffered as much as others; his wound was only superficial; a cut against the shoulder by a spear that, had it been thrust a mere inch leftwards, could have caused a grievous wound. Still, the elders wished to keep him here, fearing that an infection could develop. He patiently waited for them to treat the others, keeping an eye on his hunter-companions. His face lit up when he noticed Tarric approach.

"You are safe! This is good news indeed. And what of my sister? Has she been harmed?" he said, desperate for tidings, and hoping as hard as he could that the news would be good.

OOC

I'm happy to have Leesha and Idunn fade in the background for a bit as we play out this scene between Rathdan and Tarric. With recruitment going on, there's no need to rush things!

"Rathdan!" Tarric stepped close with the glad cry and clasped (uninjured) arms with his reclining brother-in-law. "Glad I am that you are well, or nearly so. Olwinne was in perfect health when I left her, in her element directing the wall defenses and repairs at Rhosgobel. Indeed she is less-scathed from this day than either of us can claim." He gestured to his own scratch; then his grin widened momentarily. "I'll take care not to tell her you were worried."

The Beorning settled himself down on the edge of Rathdan's cot more comfortably. He cleared his throat, grin fading. His hand still clasped Rathdan's warmly, offering support. "First I should tell you, if you did not already know... Leofred is dead. My companions and I found him on our way here and brought him with us to be laid to rest properly. I suspect your tale will be similar to ours but... can you tell me what happened?"

OOC

Tarric's wife now has a name!

Tarric's brother in law breathed a sigh of relief as he received the news about Olwinne, but that relief turned to grief when he heard that Leofred was dead. He nodded grimly; clearly, his friend's fate was no surprise, but Tarric's words ended whatever hopes he had harbored about Leofred's survival.

"We were ambushed by orcs: just like the others. A small party; they scattered after a while, after we had slain some of them. I wish we had returned to the village then and there, but Cilderic was amongst us, and he insisted on scouting ahead. He wished to go alone, to spy on the orcs and report back to the others, but Leofred would hear none of it. Neither would the others. In the end, we continued together, despite Cilderic's protests.

They were ready for us. They must have been watching from the trees. We had not marched for longer than an hour when arrows came from all directions. They were far too many, and we could only retreat. Cilderic led us back, and most made it unscathed... but we lost Leofred and Egbert."

He shook his head in regret, and seemed to feel guilty by the admission. "We could not turn back for them. We did not want to leave them, but we had to. We had no choice. If you found Leofred on your way here... then he must have escaped, and managed to survive... though not for long.

We should have waited. This is all Cilderic's doing."

Mechanics

What happened to Rathdan's party? I have no idea right now, so I'll roll for action/theme and see if it serves as good inspiration. If not, I'll just come up with something.

Ask the oracle, twice:
Dice Roll: 2d100
d100 Results: 9, 54 (Total = 63)

Edit:
09: Defeat
54: Creature
Alternatively:
90: Reduce
45: Danger
That's something to work with; at least not completely useless.

The Beorning's head bowed with regret to hear Rathdan's tale. "If the orcs were truly watching, then even returning immediately might not have avoided them. Nevertheless, there are lessons to be learned from this, and Cilderic most of all." He shook his head and squeezed his brother-in-law's hand.

"Our own hunt went similarly to start. We had spread out to stalk a small herd of deer when the ambush came. Several were wounded, Eranbar grievously but not dead. We drove off the orcs and with good fortune we were able to get everyone back to Rhosgobel and into Radagast's care.

"Now here we are, spreading the warning and seeking information on the wizard's behalf."

spacer.png"Then you must go to Amaleoda," replied Rathdan at once, "she has been gathering all those that are strong enough to bear an axe or a spear, and placing the children and the wounded and the very old in the round-houses that are over the water, so that they can be protected. The healers will do what they must to treat the injured, but your task need not await any longer."

With these words, he approached one of the elders who was overseeing the efforts here, and said a few words, before leading the wizard’s emissaries outside. From there, following the docks where the Woodmen’s boats were tied to, they arrived at an islet upon which the great hall had been built. It was not as large as the great houses of Rhosgobel or the larger towns of the Woodmen, yet it had the protection of the waters of the Black Tarn, and so could stand against orcs and spiders even if they breached the palisade.

spacer.pngInside they found Amaleoda, surrounded by many folk. By her side was a dwarf, and not far from him were a few of his stout kin. Those familiar with these lands knew him to be Bofri, who had chosen to live with the Woodmen to pursue his goal of restoring the Old Forest Road. Tarric had not come alone, and presently Rathdan and Beran and Idunn stood by him, though Leesha had elected to stay behind, and to help with the wounded.

"What news from Rhosgobel?" said Amaleoda as soon as she saw them, cutting all discussions with her own folk short as the emissaries approached. "Does Radagast send aid?"

OOC

Let’s use this scene to welcome the newcomers and introduce their characters!

In terms of the previous group, we can assume that Tarric and Idunn are present, including Rathdan and Beran (two NPCs). Let’s also say that Leesha stays with the wounded, and Ingi remains by the palisade, organizing the archers into a defense force. I think this is a good way to have them fade into the background, for now at least.

Regarding the new group, let’s say that the two Wood-folk (Jenowyn & Drustan) are with Amaleoda, perhaps giving/seeking counsel as the group above enters. Similarly, Bróin can be with Bofri and the rest of the (few) dwarves. Feel free to describe/introduce your characters as you see fit!

spacer.pngOne Dwarf out of their circle, with a full grey beard and weather-beaten veneer, paid particular attention to the new arrivals, studying them intently behind a straitened gaze. His cloth is fair and elegant in comparison to his fellows, with finely detailed embroidery across his satin mantle and doublet, contrasting the rather worn cast to his face. His gaze seems to be shifting between the new arrivals, Amaleoda and her cortege, and the Dwarves in his company...

----

Bróin had only returned to Black Tarn in the last few hours, having spent the last week on a trip to the Old Ford trading furs for gear much needed by the people of Black Tarn; he had even foregone his usually retainer fee for such services, so moved was he by the hardship and struggle of the Woodmen... and hopeful such generosity might bring the Lady Amaleoda around to Bofri's proposal. More pointedly it had given Bróin sound leverage to begin parley with the Beornings on the matter of the Old Forest Road. Alas that with regards to such matters the journey had been sorely unsuccessful.

"They like the tolls the way they are, high and not a coin in another's coffer. Even still I believe we've something to work with their; if we can convince them of the profits to be had in reopening the Old Forest Road, even with reduced tolls, then Beorn and his folk may just go in with us. Then there's the matter of the bridge. Price sharing? Maybe put some dwarven stonemasons on the job..."

Such thoughts had been interrupted when he came upon a Black Tarn Village wrought with panicked fear. Having been appraised of the situation by Bofri and the others, Bróin now waited with baited breath what wisdom the Brown Wizard had bequeathed them. "If the movement of trade caravans cannot persuade them, then perhaps the movement of armies will. A company of Dwarves from Erebor could use the road and be here in what, a fortnight? Perhaps even a week? " He studied those assembled in the room, assizing the mood and how best to position his argument...

OOC/Rolls

So to get my toes in the water and acquaint myself with the system, I'm gonna have Bróin roll to try and Secure an Advantage to reflect his read of the room. Given it involves insight I'll use Wits for the roll.
Action Dice (5) = 5, 

Challenge Dice (9) = 1,8

So if I understand the rules that constitutes a weak hit. In this case that means the advantage is short-lived, and simply nets +1 Momentum. Perhaps Amaleoda notices Bróin's assessment and figures what he's trying to do?

Jenowyn stood in the hall of Amadleoda, although standing might be too strong a word. Perhaps, swaying? She has hardly slept since they had carried Istan* through the gates. Despite that she stands in the crowd of people that had gathered in the hall, the low mutterings and murmurs creating a gentle thrum in the room.

Ever since the other hunting party had arrived, she knew that it would only be a matter of time before they presented themselves to Amaleoda, and Jenowyn intended to hear what they had to say.

As they waited, her kinsmen and women spoke with Amaleoda of what should and could be done with so many of their hunters injured, and Jenowyn let the sound wash over her. She knew what she wanted to happen, but her council had already been given to Amaleoda. Let the others continue to argue over it -- she would eventually venture out to secure the surrounding woods with or without their help.

The sound of the doors creaking open broke her from her thoughts, and she watched the group of four move forward into the room, their demeanor grave and serious. <What further ill tidings do you bring us...> she wondered as she watched them approach, her mood dark.

But, as Amaleoda spoke, a spark of hope ignited within her breast. <Radagast...! Surely he must send aid?> She watched silently, her ears keen to hear the words of the travelers.

Idunn took a step forward to join Tarric's side, and looked on towards the gathered assembly. Amongst them, she recognized familiar faces, and yet she also saw new ones. Black Tarn must have grown since the last time she had been here. She was not surprised: for she knew Amaleoda to be a wise and capable leader, and the location of the village had been well-chosen. The lake could feed many, rich as it was with fish and eel, and the River Maidens protected them.

Still, it was deep in the forest-too deep, and too dangerous. Where were Mogdred and his men? They had sworn to protect Amaleoda's folk.

"The attacks have hurt many of Rhosgobel's hunters," the huntress said at length, "...as seems to be the case here. The orcs dared not attack the village, but the elders are making preparations in case they might attempt it. As for Radagast..."

She paused briefly. She had no aid to offer. She felt terrible about it, for Black Tarn seemed to require any assistance they could give. But that had not been her mission.

"The Brown Wizard has tasked us to send word to the elves. We are to travel as swiftly as we can, warning the rest of the settlements along our journey, and to make contact with the fair folk and pass on Radagast's letter."

That was, unfortunately, all that she had, but as soon as she had she said her piece, an epiphany struck her. Not pausing to think things through, she spoke it: "If you were to evacuate to Rhosgobel, I am certain that Radagast and the elders would understand, and offer you aid and a refuge. Rhosgobel is better defended, and lies at the eaves of the forest, and there our numbers are greater. But I have not been instructed to convince you. It remains your own decision."

OOC

Everyone can add the 'Defend the Woodmen' oath (or quest) to their character sheets, either now or when narratively appropriate for your characters. This is the main premise of the adventure, so ideally we all want to have this shared quest, and everyone should offer some kind of in-character justification (or at the very least hand-waving) to explain why the PCs are doing this. This functions as the inciting incident for all the PCs.

Warning the rest of the settlements and bringing word to the elves are just milestones in this quest, but other tasks can easily become milestones too, as the quest progresses. The quest is also on a timer, and so has a menace track (which is currently empty).

The oath already had two milestones fulfilled (so is at 2/10 progress) because of what has already happened, namely because of finding some of Rhosgobel's hunters in Black Tarn Hall (first milestone) and bringing tidings to Amaleoda (second milestone).

Although it is not necessary to make the Swear an Iron Vow move to take up this Inciting Incident quest, if you want you can do it. Just keep in mind that if you score a miss, you should probably make the consequences more personal (narrative or mechanical) rather than about the quest itself, as the path forward is rather clear. By RAW, I think only one PC needs to Swear Vows, but I have no problems with multiple PCs doing it in this case. For example, Bróin might want to do it to take advantage of his Fortune Hunter asset.

Also, there's no need to actually make a vow as per in the Iron Lands setting, though you can if you think it's narratively appropriate. But don't feel forced to swear vows for every quest (a quiet promise, even to one's self, can be sufficient).

Regarding the Secure an Advantage move that Maester made, yeah, that's perfectly appropriate! Please feel free to make moves as you see fit (and, ideally, appropriate according to the narrative). We can then build the story around them. Also keep in mind that consequences (whether positive or negative) can flow not only from a PC's actions, but from things external to them-like an ally arriving at a critical moment, or an enemy, or whatever. This can help open up more options for the story.

In short, feel free to take the story to interesting directions, though for big things maybe it's best to discuss things OOC with everyone and make sure that all the players are on board! This (co-op play) is an experiment for me as well, but I think with good communication it can work!