Year 2950: Words of the Wise

Vladim

Idunn turned to Bróin first and nodded at his words; then, she faced Idunn and listened to his disapproval, quietly at first. He reminded her of his gruff chieftain, the mighty Beorn, though the Bear-Lord would have spoken to her far less gently in such a situation.

In fact, he had once, she recalled. But though Idunn lacked his size, strength and renown, he could match his stubbornness. And here, she was no different, falling to boldness and boasting to avoid embarrassment.

"I will not fail." she assured them both. "Soon I shall prove it to you. But let us go, while the day still shines."

OOC

Correct; 2/5 supply and 4/10 journey progress.

Before I move us to the next waystation (Wuduseld), let me try a Resupply. It would be hilarious if she failed and was forced to eat her words & pride...

Resupply:
Dice Roll: 1d6+3t 2d10
d6 Results: 3 (Total = 6)
d10 Results: 8, 3 (Total = 11)
Sum Total: 17

Edit: A weak hit. Good enough to prevent embarrassment. -2 momentum for +2 supply. I will update my track (feel free to do the same to yours). I wouldn't mind a few Make Camp and Heal moves to help us out. Maybe a Forge a Bond with Bróin as well! I'll take the next post and frame the scene-probably in 2023!

spacer.png

Time: Noon, eleven days after the attack

spacer.pngThey journeyed for the entirety of the day through the dense oakwood of the forest, along hidden paths cunningly marked in a manner that only Woodmen could follow them. The day was pleasant enough, and their spirits seemed high after their success against the spiders outside Woodmen-Town. They covered good ground on that first day, despite and lingering injuries and exhaustion.

All the while, Idunn kept her eyes open for prey. She knew that pheasants lived here, and she had a point to prove. When she had set out early on the next morning, before the sun dawned, she had not expected to be gone for long. She had not wanted to make them wait. She was eager to prove herself, yes, but she had not intended to delay or torment them.

Unfortunately, the great huntsman, Béma, whom her folk always invoked, seeking his favor, had other ideas. She was forced to venture deeper than she had anticipated, and the hunt drew long. When at last she returned to her companions, she was late, but at least she did not come empty-handed. Two birds were slung over her shoulder, and though it was late for breakfast, they would do splendidly for supper.

As the day passed slowly and noon turned towards evening, she led them along the trails, and when dusk arrived, she stopped at a clearing, where they could find a place to make camp and spend the night.

OOC

I figure the slight delay is a good way to narratively represent her -2 momentum.

As discussed on Discord, I'll attempt a Make Camp +wits to try and benefit from the 3rd ability of the Wildblood asset that I just purchased. Here's hoping:

Make Camp:
d6 Results: 5 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 6, 2 (Total = 8)
Sum Total: 16

Edit: Strong hit. Each one of us can choose 3 options from the 'Make Camp' move entry.
• Recuperate: Take +1 health for you and any companions.
• Partake: Suffer -1 supply and take +1 health for you and any
companions.
• Relax: Take +1 spirit.
• Focus: Take +1 momentum.
• Prepare: When you break camp, add +1 if you Undertake a Journey.

For Idunn, I'll take Recuperate, Relax and Focus. Stats updated. I'm happy to RP this, or not-I'll just respond in-character to whatever you post following this!

Prepping his sleeping arrangement for the night, Bróin takes in the dense woods around the company with an appraising eye. "In better days perhaps these lands would be fine for steadings among your people, eh Bride? Plenty of wood for homes, and once you've cleared the forests and drained a bog here and there plenty of arable land. I'll have to set some coin aside for a little land speculation in the future."

OOC

I'll take Recuperate, Relax and Focus for my Make Camp options.

"Perhaps." said Idunn, somewhat surprised that Bróin had chosen to address her with her old byname. "But Mirkwood is yet untamed, and the recent attacks by orcs and spiders prove it. It would be folly to think that the Woodmen, or any other folk, have dominion over the forest."

A night-bird sang, punctuating her remark, and the huntress fell quiet for a while, listening. When at last its sorrowful music had concluded, Idunn turned her attention back to her dwarven companion, and spoke.

"How is it that you hope to build your fame and fortune amongst the Woodmen? I understand Bofri's task, and the restoration of the Old Road would certainly transform Wilderland, though it would take years, if not decades. But my peoples are a frugal folk, with little coin to spare. Seeking it is like trying to squeeze water from a rock. Why not chase after profits in greener pastures, like Dale or Esgaroth?"

"Aye, 'tis true Wilderland is as yet no great center of commerce, but as you've rightly pointed out the Forest Road will upend that and more. Right now it can take a trader weeks to round the edge of Mirkwood safely and reach what? The Toft? Dwarrowhall or one of the Erringmen's caravans? Or they brave northward another week or so to reach these lands and those of Beorn. It's either that or brave the forest itself and likely be taken by Orcs or Wargs or Spiders."

"But when the road opens folk from Dale and Esgaroth, or my folk from Erebor and the Iron Hills can reach your lands in a week's time and vice versa. Think of it Idunn; Dwarven steel and silverwork in the markets of Woodmen-town, Mountain Hall and Trader's Island as well as the Old Ford, but the craft of your people and the bounty of this land could reach Laketown and the Lonely Mountain in turn. Traders and goods from over the Misty Mountains may soon be making the journey as well, certainly my kin in the Blue Mountains will be."

Bróin leans back on his pillow and smiles knowingly at Idunn. "I'll be getting a cut of the door from tolls to be sure, as is the rest of Bofri's company, but who better to aid these fresh-faced traders than one well-connected and hopefully well-loved by the locals? For a modest finder's fee of course. 'Tis a plan that will take many years to come to fruition my dear, that much is true... but I'm a patient man. And time you'll find is a Dwarf's greatest ally."

Idunn indeed thought of the possibilities that Bróin had conjured... but she was less certain about the claim that the effect would be a positive one. She loved her folk because they treasured the forest above coin and gem, and she had seen Lake-Town and its great market. She did not know if she wanted to see such things come to the Woodmen, but perhaps such progress, as some called it, was inevitable.

But she did not speak her mind. She knew that many Woodmen welcomed such changes as Bróin was striving to bring, and so her views were merely personal.

"If ever chance or fate carry you or your ventures westwards, to Firienseld, that is Mountain-Hall in the common tongue, know that the chieftain there, Hartfast, has much use for dwarves. Many are already in his employ, working to expand the mines in the mountains. But perhaps you have heard of this already."

She turned to Tarric after she had said this. "And what of the work at the Old Ford? I hear that the dwarves wish to repair that place as well, for it is where the Forest Road had once started. But Beorn is not overly fond of dwarves. Or have things changed of late? Has it been long since you have last been there?"

OOC

@Maester1216 do you think it's a good chance for Idunn to attempt to Forge a Bond with Bróin? If it's a miss, maybe the two don't see completely eye to eye given their differences in outlook; if it's a weak hit, maybe Bróin can ask something from her; on a strong hit, maybe they find enough common ground to look beyond any differences? Either way, all outcomes seem to have good story potential for me. But I thought I'd ask you first.

Edit: Ok, as per Discord, rolling below:

Forge a Bond:
Dice Roll: 1d6+1t 2d10
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 7)
d10 Results: 6, 6 (Total = 12)
Sum Total: 19

Edit: Strong hit w/ match. +2 momentum. Stats updated.

To Tarric's relieved chagrin, the group was able to reach a new campsite with only minimal use of their reduced supply. And while Idunn's proposed resupply took longer than planned, it too not only bore fruit but allowed Tarric time to refresh his bandages and clear his mind of the scraps of fog that yet lingered from contact with the spider webs. So while he yet grumbled upon her delayed return, it had no bite to it.

And so it was with restored spirit that Tarric poked at the fire and listened to the conversation. Talk of coin and commerce did not interest him overmuch, but it was nevertheless comforting that they could speak on any topic without any other concerns beyond their journey itself worrying them.

Idunn's question caught the Beorning by surprise, and it took him a moment to gather his thoughts from the flickering flames. "Old Ford? I have not been there for years myself. I cannot speak to Beorn's current thoughts on dwarves, but... surely a steady and safe crossing of the river there would be of benefit to many, could the dwarves convince him. Perhaps we could pass that way as we travel to Forest Gate?"

OOC

Updated Supply to 4/5 from Idunn's hunting, and as Tarric is still sensitive to resource usage, will also take the Recuperate, Relax, and Focus from Make Camp, which puts him at 4 Health, 5 Spirit, and 5 Momentum.

"We could," answered the huntress, "though I would rather we did not tarry long there, especially if there is no pressing need. We have already spent many days in the forest, and by electing to warn the other towns we are inadvertently dallying, though this task is important. But we could have taken the direct route. Perhaps with horses we would have already reached the elves, and delivered the message..."

It was clear from her words and tone that she remained uncertain of the choice she and they had made, and she hoped that they would not be forced to pay dearly for it. In the end, it was a risk worth taking-or so she tried to convince herself. But every new day spent in the woods was a day that the orcs could muster and attack Black Tarn Hall and Rhosgobel. If they did, could they not count on Radagast to repel them?

She fed the fire and stirred the embers with a stick, and tried to chase away such thoughts and doubts. They did them little good-her especially.

OOC

Unless everyone wants to continue (which would be great and encouraged) I'm good with moving us forward to the next scene.

BlueTrillium, does Tarric still want that Heal? I'm more than happy to roll for it, though I think now he's at 4/5 health, so perhaps things are less dire. I'll do what you tell me!

I may yet come up with a positive twist for the match but right now I'm drawing a blank so I'll let it sit for a bit.

spacer.png♫ Witcher 2 OST – Vergen by night ♫

Time: Morning, fifteen days after the attack

For four more days they travelled, led by Tarric, who seemed eager to make good progress whilst conserving as best he could their diminishing supplies. Their journey was not without its hardships, for this was, after all, Mirkwood. Nevertheless, the days that followed came and went without event, with each one seemingly not different from the one before, save to the trained eyes of those who had come this way before, and knew the paths of the Woodmen, and the subtle differences that marked proximity to their large settlements.

In two occasions, they encountered hunters and travellers; Woodmen journeying between smaller settlements who broke bread with them briefly and exchanged news. Some had heard of the attack already, for Radagast had sent messages with animals, yet it was only when the companions spoke of it in depth that they could understand at last how dire the situation was.

Then, on the morning of the sixth day since they had set out from the Hall of Bathi, they caught sight from afar, standing atop a defensible mound, the Great House of Wuduseld, from which the entire town took its name. Even to those that had witnessed it before, it was a wondrous sight: more than twice the size of any other long-house of the Woodmen, it sat on a steep-sided hill, surrounded by a great deal of lesser structures. A great palisade at the foot of that hill embraced the entire town, sheltering most buildings from any potential incursion.

spacer.png

It had rained the night before-not too heavily, but enough to cover all leaves and growth with countless tiny droplets of dew, and the scent of petrichor still pervaded path and forest. As they made their approach, the morning warmth made the moisture rise upwards, forming a thick but low-hanging mist that enveloped them. It was under this mist that they entered the town, seeking to spread their tidings and secure a few hours’ worth of respite before they continued along their way.

OOC

I think I’d rather we did not tarry here long (as a player, not necessarily as Idunn) as I’d prefer to move towards the conclusion of this adventure, but if folks feel strongly about it, I am happy to linger, too.

There’s a bit of info on this town in the setting folder of this game; feel free to read it, if you want, and the descriptions can inform your posts, though it is not necessary.

If we want to keep things short, I suggest at most one or two moves per player-moves like Secure an Advantage, Sojourn or any other that makes sense to you can be used. The exchanging of news can be hand-waved and moved to the background, and we can add another milestone to our vow as we warn the Woodmen in this town as well (so Defend the Woodmen reaches 6/10 progress).

I’ll wait for your posts before moving us forward again!

Woodland Hall... This was a place near and dear to the huntress' heart; nearer and dearer than any other town or village of her peoples, and that even included Firienseld, where she had been born and raised. Everywhere she looked were old memories, sweet and treasured, yet also tinged with bitterness and sorrow; sorrow for what had once been, but was now long-lost, and could never again be regained.

Grimborn... His presence was everywhere, and the melancholy mists made her sentimental. Too sentimental. The dream had been a recent thing, and its memory was still fresh in her mind. But she had a task to complete. Now was not the time for reminisce and introspection.

And so she kept herself as busy as a bee. First, she conveyed the grim tidings, as they had done before. Then, she saw to the preparations needed to ensure that the journey along the Vales, on which they would soon embark, would go smoothly. But she also rested and tended to her health. The march had been a long and weary one, and she had her own little rituals to see to the well-being of her body and spirit.

OOC

Since she's still at 3/5 health, I'll attempt a Heal. But since she's treating her own bruises and injuries, she rolls +iron and not +wits. Upon request, I am happy to have her Heal other companions with +wits. Just let me know!

Heal:
Dice Roll: 1d6+2t 2d10
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 8)
d10 Results: 1, 3 (Total = 4)
Sum Total: 12

Edit: Strong hit. +2 health. Stats updated.

After making his introductions to the clan elders alongside his comrades, Bróin spends the time in between rest and recuperation speaking with locals and gathering information for the journey ahead. What the people of Woodland Hall had to say did not inspire much confidence however: it seemed that a group of hunters had journeyed into Western Mirkwood in pursuit of prey... but that was almost a fortnight ago, and no sign of the hunters had been found since.

"Taken by Orcs no doubt." Vara said, a woeful tone to her voice. "We should warier yet at this stage. The Enemy is no doubt aware of us and has guessed at our designs. They will bend great strength towards keeping us from reaching the Elves."

Bróin couldn't help but agree with his comrade. They'd be best served staying far away from the forest itself, but doing so would cost them access to much needed roads. Travel through vales may not be arduous, but time wasn't something they should be frivolous with right now.

OOC

Gonna be rolling to Gather Information. Action Dice (7) = 7, Challenge Dice (11) = 3,8

Weak Hit, +1 Momentum but info complicates things. A group of hunters from Woodland Hall has disappeared, indicating a likely enemy presence in the area.

Woodland Hall was an impressive place, to be sure. Tarric could not help but admire the ancient and solid fortifications, and the multiple watchtowers that took advantage of their height to watch in all directions. But in a way it was quite eerie too, especially on that morning when they approached its stockade, with the mist rising, and the Hall itself floating above like some remote place in the clouds rather than something rooted to the ground. It hardly seemed a place of Men.

Yet Men there were, and Tarric did what he could to assist his companions in spreading the word of their mission and learning of the road ahead. Still, Idunn's words from out on the trail had taken root, and he found himself uneasy and anxious to leave and continue their mission. There was no more talk (from him, at any rate) of Old Ford or Beorn, no; if asked he would advocate the fastest route to Forest Gate.

OOC

Updated Defend the Woodmen progress to 6/10 per the progress post above, but I don't think Tarric will make any particular move at this time.

When at last all their tasks had been completed, and the elders had been warned, and their preparations completed, Idunn rejoined the others at the starting gate, where she had agreed to meet them. She knew that soon the terrain would change, and the forest would turn to plains as they neared the Vales of the Anduin, where the Beornings dwelled. And so, she was eager to ride her horse, Greycloud, and hope that the others would manage well on horseback.

"I trust that you are ready to depart?" she asked them as they made their approach, eager to get going while they still had time.

It was a rhetorical question by the looks of it: for Tarric had his own horse ready, and Bróin had managed to secure a pony. Soon they were off, content to follow her-for this leg of the journey, at least.

OOC

Alright, this is not much of a post, but let's resolve a few things before we continue the story:

• For Bróin, he can either ride with one of us, or just say he secured his own horse or pony in Woodland Hall. I am happy with either (and more than happy to hand-wave how he acquired it).
  • Tarric has a horse, so no problems there.
  • One of us should roll for Undertake a Journey; I'm happy to do it or let someone else, so whoever wants to, feel free to go ahead.
  • If everyone agrees, someone can roll Advance a Threat from the Delve book. It's basically just rolling a d100 so go ahead even if you don't have the book (but Delve moves are freely available on the Ironsworn website so it should be easy enough to find them). The reason being that up to this point we were taking the long way, through the forest, so our enemies are working in the background, perhaps.

That's all for now, I think!

Edit: As briefly discussed on Discord, I edited the post above, and added a pony for Bróin. Making the rolls for this next bit:

Undertake a Journey:
d6 Results: 6 (Total = 9)
d10 Results: 5, 5 (Total = 10)
Sum Total: 19

Advance a threat:
Dice Roll: 1d100
d100 Results: 10

Edit: She's pretty lucky in this adventure, it seems. So:

For the menace, the entry says: The threat readies its next step, or a new danger looms. If you are in a position to prevent this development, you may attempt to do so. If you succeed, Reach a Milestone. Otherwise, mark menace.

For the journey, it's a strong hit with a match. Adding progress to the journey (now at 6/10; stats updated).

Given the match, I'm going to say that we *do* get a chance to deal with the threat; perhaps this is related to the orcs that Vara spotted? Either way, I'll think about it for a day and then frame the scene tomorrow & post it.

spacer.pngTime: Dusk, eighteen days after the attack
Location: East Anduin Vales, just south of the ruins of the Old Forest Road

spacer.pngWoodland Hall was not nestled too deeply in the woods, and after a relatively short march through forest paths they emerged on the eastern vales on the afternoon of the following day. Here they could at last make use of their horses and pony as steeds, and not mere beasts of burden.

For two days they rode swiftly in these empty yet pleasant-looking lands, not stopping to seek out its elusive inhabitants, and not for rest either, except when darkness would come. Compared to the march through the forest, the going was much easier, though Idunn was still not fully accustomed to riding, especially for such great lengths of time. But there was no denying the advantage of speed that Greycloud afforded her. By her side, Uthred struggled to keep up, and so she had to soften the pace at times, but she did not do so for long. With the Woodmen warned, only one thing remained: to reach the Halls of the Elvenking and to deliver Radagast’s letter.

Then on the evening of the second day since they had set foot on the plains, she caught sight of the white and chalky hills that marked the parts south of the ruins of the Old Forest Road, and soon she and the others saw the image of a horse and a rider, cut into the side of a green hill in such scale that it could be seen from miles away. It was an old landmark, and she knew it, but it was dangerous to approach, for she had heard the tales.

"The Pale Rider!" she told the others, adding: "We mustn’t be far from the old road now."

OOC

The map summarizes our rough position (X). It takes about a day to get out of the forest, and another two-ish days on horseback. The landmark of the Pale Rider is currently visible, but distant, and Idunn will not recommend approaching it further, but instead to continue northwards.

As per the 'advance a threat' move results, let's encounter a band of orcs (perhaps one related to that which Vara spotted, or even the same) as dusk approaches, in roughly this region. They can be hiding or sneaking in the darkness when we spot them, either while on horseback or while making camp. Whoever posts next can frame the scene & determine the details, and then we can have a fight. Perhaps with individual enemies for each PC, so everyone can have their own progress track? I'm thinking Troublesome or Dangerous foes, or you can go for Formidable if you're feeling brave!

I'll leave it to the next poster (or if either of you is stuck, I can post it in a couple of days too!)

Bróin breathes deeply of the vale's clear, open air as the company journey's onward. After all that time trudging through a stultifying forest, and reckoning they'd be heading back into it before long, he had every intention of enjoying every moment he wasn't trudging through Mirkwood to the fullest. "Hope we aren't too long getting to the Elvenking's Halls. Those late fees at the stable are liable to cost me everything I made dealing with those spiders. I mean really, who needs an arm and a leg just because a rented pony was a few days late getting back?"

Bróin was shaken from his revery by the sound of a raven cawing... and as realization dawned on his face the Dwarf quickly turned to his comrades "That was definitely Vara, and she only caws like that for one reason; enemies sighted!"

Almost as soon as she starts sounding the alarm Vara falls silent as she begins dodging a salvo of orcish arrows being fired up at her! A ferocious looking warband soon crests the low hills leading into Mirkwood proper, dreadful war cries on their lips!

OOC

Dangerous sounds good to me, but in the interest of convenience I wouldn't be against having the enemies on a single progress track.