Year 2950: Those who Tarry no Longer

Vladim

BlainBlain had check again how easily his sword could leave its sheathe and left the company, heading to where last they had spotted the uruks. If luck would have it, he could lure them towards the group, without the goblins, and remove some of the threat by splitting their forces. Of course, if he was spotted, things would not go well... But there was only so many times he could mess up before he ripped out his own beard from the shame of it. He had to redeem himself somehow. 

The dwarf watched carefully where he stepped, stopping here and there to listen to the noises around him. Uruks were a dangerous game to hunt, and he had to do more than simply kill them.

Bláin set out alone from the ruined ring-fort as others stayed behind to ready the place as best they could. Yet he could not venture far; despite his stealth and secrecy, the goblins were amassing in great numbers. They were descending hastily from the mountains, and even one as elusive as the dwarf would likely be seen, and soon. Thus, it seemed hopeless to pursue this path; the only thing left to him was to return, and to aid the others in their efforts, and bring back grim tidings of the gathering enemy.

spacer.pngIt was morning still when he came back to the place, finding there all his companions. Elhadron's words had been received by Írimë, who nodded solemnly, and added a few words: "Long has it been since last I spoke to the Lord of the Eagles, yet the friendship of my kin and his is old. Let us hope our friends remember us."

And with that, the lady took her leave of him, and alone she sought a large rock that lay in the center of the old fort. There she turned upwards, towards the sky, and she sang in Elvish-a high-pitched keening chant that sounded grim and dire, akin to a funeral dirge.

Soon the orcs assembled in great numbers, undaunted by the morning light. Remaining just out of bow-range, they started their own yowling and shouting to drown out Irimë’s song.

OOC

Apologies for not continuing with the plan, but since the rolls weren't great, I just decided to move us forward. 

There's no Fear Tests in TOR 2, but instead there's something similar-Dread. To resist the effects of Dread, everyone should make a Valour test (for starting characters, that's 1d12+1d6). The TN is 20-Heart. Failure results in gaining 2 Shadow Points. Whether you succeed or fail, you can RP the result as you want (failure does not reduce you to a cowering wreck, though it may perhaps shake you somewhat, if only for a moment).

Arton of Gram

Arton was laying a log in between two stones, hoping to form a barricaded position for the coming fight when the howling started. It should not have bothered him, but it did. He shook his head to clear the feelings, but to no avail. Instead, his gaze fell upon his pitiful attempt at a barricade. How many of his ancestors had died so long ago, behind similar makeshift barricades when the forces of the witch-king came? He forced himself back to his task, but with less confidence now.

Edited by thesloth (see edit history)

spacer.pngBelow the ring-fort, the goblin-company was swelling in numbers. A large orc, evidently the captain of this force, moved forward, shoving his lesser kin aside, and strode to issue a boast and challenge to the small party of Free Folk. He still dared not set foot within bowshot, yet his voice was loud and vain, and could be heard despite the distance.

“Give us the elf-woman, and the rest of you can go!”

Others of his kind sneered at what was obviously a false offer, and yet at once Írimë grew worried, fearing for her own safety.

OOC

I figured I move us forward. Others (Dio and Suzuki) can make the Valour checks at their leisure later on, when they are available.

Any PC can offer a counter-challenge with a successful Awe check. This counts as a use of the Intimidate Foe task, even though we are out of combat. Here's how the Intimidate Foe task has been changed; it no longer drains hate but has a narratively similar effect:

INTIMIDATE FOE — FORWARD STANCE

Brave warriors fighting in a Forward stance can attempt to intimidate their foes, to make them waver, break, or even flee. 

To do so, the acting player makes an AWE roll as the main action for the round. 

On a successful roll, the enemy’s morale has been shaken and all opponents with Might 1 are made Weary on their next attack roll. If the roll produces a single Success icon , then also all adversaries with Might 2 suffer the same penalty. If the roll produces two Success icons or more, the penalty is applied to all adversaries in the fight.

Arton of Gram

Arton ground his teeth in shame and anger as the orc captain mocked them. Perhaps his kin had died by the scores on small hilltop forts just like this. But he had no doubt they had died as warriors. Whatever else might be said of him, he would not let it be said they died as lambs led to the slaughter or that any had wavered in their oath to Irime. He stepped forward, ensuring he was in full view of the assembled orc company. Walking past Irime, Arton motioned towards the orcs and bid her keep her bow ready.

"Go back to your cave old woman! We have no time for you to drink tea and gossip! If you wish to treat with us send one of your men.... Ohh. You have my apologies. I thought you were one of your tribe's old crones.

Very well then let us treat! We can not give you the lady, but if you come three steps closer I will give you a gift for your masters."

spacer.pngspacer.pngThe orc-chieftain looked on at this display of defiance and simply spat disdainfully on the ground. Then, he lifted up his war-axe and turned to his kin, and roared to them a rallying cry:

“Good! Tonight we eat man-flesh! Kill them all except the elf!” His followers seemed to falter for a moment, but as their captain charged up the hill towards the company, a black tide of Orcs surged after him. Outnumbered twenty to one, all that the companions could see was a wave of fangs and jagged swords and blood-shot eyes.

Yet before battle was joined, something unexpected happened-something that caught the great orc-host by surprise. Irimë stepped forth, and she raised her hand, and from the jewel of the ring she wore a bright light bloomed, as if a star had uncloaked itself beside her protectors. The blaze further dismayed the Orcs, adding injury to Arton's insult, and amongst them some turned and fled, and those in the lead raised up their shields to shade their eyes from the elf-light.

The advantage was short-lived, but for now, at least, it was with the company.

OOC

Just as a reminder, Diofant, Varon, Suzuki (and Yelik, if she's still with us) must still make that Valour check. 2 Shadow points on failure.

Then, battle is joined, and though it works a bit differently in second edition, let's take it step-by-step. First, let's resolve the opening volleys. Because of the distance, the momentary advantage and the strategic position, let's say that anyone with a bow can make 3 shots against the advancing orcs. Those without a bow can hurl a spear (if they have it) or a rock just once, before the enemy closes in.

Then, I will resolve the enemy's opening volley.

Now, this combat is one of the more problematic bits of this adventure. I don't want to pull a gotcha or a deus ex machina, so I'll be upfront about this: you only need to fight long enough to be rescued by the Eagles. Six rounds, to be specific. I'm telling you so that it doesn't feel like the whole thing is entirely pointless. If, on the other hand, by some good luck you manage to defeat the force before six rounds, that works too-in that case the fellowship will simply need no rescuing.

Most of all, this is a combat tutorial for second edition, so don't fret about tactics and such too much 🙂

thammegil_ranger.webp

As the Orcs surged towards the small redoubt the companions were defending, and just as the lady Irimë unleashed the blinding power of her jewel, Thammegil leapt to the top of one of the taller stones, bow drawn, arrow knocked and released his first shot directly at the Orcish leader who had so taunted the companions.

Swiftly, barely pausing to select another target, he released two more arrows from his vantage.  Then, it was too late, the Orcs were upon them.  Discarding his bow, he drew his sword from its sheath, the blade ringing out as it cleared the scabbard, and leaping from his vantage point he locked blades with the nearest of the foul creatures with the battle cry "For Erebor!  For the Dunedain!"

Battle was well and truly joined.

Name
Valour check (TN13)
[10] (4) = 14
tor(1) 10,4
First Arrow in Opening Volley against Orc Leader (Player TN13)
[10] (4,4) = 18
tor(2) 10,4,4
Second Arrow in Opening Volley (Player TN13)
[6] (6,1) = 13
tor(2) 6,6,1
Third Arrow in Opening Volley (Player TN13)
[7] (6,6) = 19
tor(2) 7,6,6

The light flared from Irime and Elhadron nearly dropped his bow in surprise. What it was, he could not say, save that it was something of great power and struck fear even into the hearts of the stoutest of goblins. 

It made his heart sing in some sort of way, although he could understand little of it. But it soon faded, and he strung an arrow on his bow even as his eyes readjusted to the darkness. His bow sang three times, loosing arrows into the night at the horde of goblins. 

Arton of Gram

Arton held onto the brief hope that he had intimidated a few of the lesser orcs when the wave faltered. But none of them broke until the lady displayed her power. 

Finding his courage he picked up his bow and fired into the oncoming wave until it crested the hill.

Name
Shot 1
[4] (2) = 6
TOR (1) 4,2
Shot 2
[8] (2) = 10
TOR (1) 8,2
Shot 3
[9] (3) = 12
TOR (1) 9,3

BlainAfter surveying the positions and numbers, and finding little he could do, despite evading notice, he could not do much. The dwarf returned back to their fortifications and grimly pulled out his sword, sitting down on the ground with it in his lap, pulling out a whetstone. Work always made it easier to think, but right now... Right now he wanted to think less. He did not stir when Irime began her song, though it was strangely soothing despite sharp sounds. He did not shudder them the orcs began their boasts and screams, but inside, everything that was him balled itself up. There was nothing he could do. Never. Not plotting a course, not upsetting a trap, not protecting someone. Nothing he had ever done was of worth, nor would it be. Even his comments on the orcs being deterred by the sunlight did not work. Then... Then came Irime's light. Gentle, powerful, comforting. Blain got to his feet, slowly, as arrows flew overhead. It didnt matter. It was true - nothing he did mattered, and nothing he would do would matter. The dwarf walked, pace slow, to the front of the barricade, unslinging his shield. That was all true. But he gave his word. And he would die keeping it. 

Thammegil's bow sang as the orcs begun their assault. The first arrow flew true and found a weak spot in the orc-chief's armor. He hissed with hatred, crying for vengeance, but the injury forced him to remain behind as his minions-or at least those that remained-were urged forward. Soon enough, the ranger was able to find other targets, and with two more shots he felled two orcs, his keen arrows slaying them instantly.

The rest of the companions unleashed arrows of their own, and though they did not find any purchase, this was lost in the disorder of the ensuing battle. Yet it was more than enough to give the enemy pause in their forward charge.

Now a company of five Uruks took the lead, and with their better armor they sought to urge the others up, raising their shields and interlocking them to protect themselves from more arrows. Behind them, large numbers of much smaller, cowardly goblins readied bows of horn and unleashed their own projectiles upon the hill, but their shots were made as if with half a heart, and many fell short, without doing any harm. Once their companions, Uruks and orc-soldiers armed with bent swords and long spears, had approached the ring-fort, they ceased their volleys, and instead begun to scatter, seeking positions from which to take opportunistic shots from all sides.

OOC

I'll make some rolls for the opening volleys of the goblins, but these will be ill-favored, because of Arton's successful intimidate (and Irimë's light).

There's some detailed mechanics for Thammegil's hits but let's just say that he manages to injure the orc-chief and kill two lesser orcs. Normally the new rules are such that for every 6 rolled you get to choose a special effect, like extra damage, a piercing blow, a shield-bash etc... and this depends on weapons. But let's keep it simple for now and just say that these were kills.

Then, it's time to choose stances. There's the same stances as First Edition (Forward, Open, Defensive, Rearward) but they work a bit differently. Here's a quick summary:

FORWARD STANCE (CLOSE COMBAT) You seek to exploit any opportunity to attack, to the point of exposing yourself to the retaliation of your enemies. Your attack rolls gain (1d). All close combat attacks aimed at you gain (1d).

OPEN STANCE (CLOSE COMBAT) You fight without sparing yourself, but giving proper attention to your enemies’ actions. No advantage or disadvantage.

DEFENSIVE STANCE (CLOSE COMBAT) You fight conservatively, trying to protect yourself or others and holding your ground. All close combat attacks aimed at you lose (1d). Your attack rolls lose (1d) for each opponent engaging you.

REARWARD STANCE (RANGED COMBAT) You stay away from the press of the fighting to attack your foes from a distance. You can attack your adversaries using only ranged weapons, and you can only be targeted by attackers using similar weapons.

Combat tasks are as per TOR 1st ed (Intimidate foe, Rally comrades, Protect companion, Prepare shot respectively).

The adventure has some additional rules:

Each member of the company is engaged by multiple opponents, the precise nature determined by their chosen stance (see below).

• Forward Stance: One Black Uruk, two Orc soldiers.

• Open Stance: One Black Uruk, one Orc soldier.

• Defensive Stance: Orc soldier using a thrusting spear.

• Rear Stance: Goblin archers with bows of horn.

Let's say that if you survive 4 rounds the Eagles come to your rescue, and if you kill 10 orcs (Uruks counting double) you route the enemy. Already, Thammegil has killed 2 orcs (so the counter is at 2/10).

Good luck!

Goblin volley summary:

Thammegil: Arrow only hits you if your Parry <=9 for 3 damage.

Blain: Arrow only hits you if your Parry <=8 for 3 damage.

Elhadron: Arrow only hits you if your Parry <=11 for 3 damage (maybe extra, not sure, let me check if it's a hit).

Arton: Arrow only hits you if your Parry <=10 for 3 damage.

Name
Arrow vs. Thammegil, ill-favored
[4] (2,2,4) = 12
tor(3) 4,2,2,4
Ill-favor (Thammegil)
[1] () = 1
tor(0) 1,
Arrow vs. Blain, Ill-favored
[𐍈] (2,1,4) = 7
tor(3) 11,2,1,4
Ill-favor (Blain)
[1] () = 1
tor(0) 1,
Arrow vs. Elhadron, Ill-favored
[6] (1,6,2) = 15
tor(3) 6,1,6,2
Ill-favor (Elhadron)
[2] () = 2
tor(0) 2,
Arrow vs. Arton, Ill-Favored
[1] (4,4,1) = 10
tor(3) 1,4,4,1
Ill-Favor (Arton)
[6] () = 6
tor(0) 6,

thammegil_ranger.webp

As he leapt from his vantage point, his bow discarded, Thammegil drew his sword and bought it down in a two-handed overhead sweep.  Reckless, but he sought the skull of the huge Black Uruk that deigned to set foot within the ring-fort in front of him.

Barely paying attention to his strike as he landed, he was concentrating more on ensuring that he found his footing clearly, his only feedback being the jarring up both his arms as his blade struck true, and his hope, nay, even his prayer to whatever god or friendly spirit might have been listening, that his strike had cleaved the creature's skull in twain.

Barely pausing after landing however, he followed through his strike, ready to parry the blow he knew would be incoming from either the foul creature before him, or his two lieutenants flanking him.

OOC Actions

For clarity, I've completed the manoevre mentioned in my previous post (Thammegil leaping from his vantage point and drawing his sword) with an overhead cleave as he lands in a forward stance.

Hopefully, the blow he's struck is a killing blow.  The two sixes rolled should, I believe, give him two special damage results, so I'll elect to inflict a heavy blow on the Uruk for one (Additional endurance loss of STR+1 for striking two-handed) and I'll use the other to fend off the incoming enemy blows (+2 for parry for this round).  Also, my Keen long-sword has the advantage that an attack roll of 9+ strikes a piercing blow.

Name
Forward stance two-handed sword cleave on Black Uruk - forward stance (Base TN13)
[1] (6,2,5,6) = 20
tor(4) 1,6,2,5,6

Arton of Gram

The wave pushed forward, Uruks taking the lead as Arton dropped his bow and drew his sword. He could see Thammegil jump headlong into the fray. He It was not the first time he had pushed out of a defensive line during battle. Arton stepped to his left and formed up on his companion's side. If his friend was surrounded now, he would be lost forever. He hoped fervently that drawing enough of the Uruks to them would lessen the danger to the Lady.

Tactics

Arton will fight defensively, protecting Thammegil's left side leaving Thammegil to do what Thammegil does best!

(OOC/Edit by Vlad: Ignore that second roll. I messed up the dice roller.)

Name
Defensive Stance
[7] (4) = 11; [9] () = 9
tor(1,no);tor(0,no) ["7",4]; ["9"]

Blades flashed from their scabbards as they were swiftly drawn, and within moments brought down upon the heads of the vile Uruks that surged forward. Thammegil and Bláin threw themselves into the melee, seeking to cut the orcs down before they could do any harm to the lady or their other companions. Arton took a more cautious stance, seeking to protect his fellow Ranger. This coordinated approach seemed to work well. The Uruks struggled against such unexpected aggression, fiercer than what they had thought the Free Folk capable of.

OOC/Mechanics

A summary of what is happening just so I (and everyone else) starts to get the hang of this.

Thammegil (Forward) rolls a 20 vs. a Strength TN of 13 +2 (Uruk's Parry) = 15. It's a hit and an extraordinary success, so he spends the two 6s rolled to for Heavy Blow (+8 damage for two-handed) and Fend off (+2 Parry for Round 1). Final damage is 7 (base damage for 2-handed long sword) + 8 = 15. I'm using the Orc Guard stats for the Black Uruks, so that leaves the enemy at 1/16 Endurance.

Bláin (Forward) rolls a Gandalf, making it an automatic hit and a Piercing Blow. It's also a Great Success, so he spends the 6 to land a Heavy Blow (+7 damage: 6 from Strength, 1 from dour-handed). The Uruk has to make a Protection check vs. TN 16 (Sword's Injury Rating) or be outright slain.

Arton (Defensive) rolls an 11 vs. a Strength TN of 14 + 1 (Orc soldier's Parry) = 15. So it's a miss, unfortunately.

I'll roll the Uruk's Protection check below, but will wait for Varon to post before I resolve enemy actions.

Edit: Unfortunately the Protection test is succesful, meaning that the Uruk engaged with Bláin simply takes 11 damage (4+6+1). That leaves him at 5/16.

Name
Protection test TN 16 (Uruk)
[6] (5,6,3) = 20
tor(3,no) 6,5,6,3

Though they had struck the first blow, drawing first blood, they had failed to fell the enemies. Two Black Uruks had been gravely wounded, but they stood yet, and the hatred in their eyes now seemed to burn hotter. One of them let out a terrible war-cry, leading his kin against Thammegil and Bláin, who fought most boldly and recklessly. Soon the orc horde surrounded them, striking blows from many angles with cruel scimitars of black iron. Much strength and malice guided these cruel blows, who fell upon the defenders of the ring-fort viciously, but did not yet wound them.

OOC

Ok, I rolled for the enemies in the dice thread, so if you need to check out the details of how it's done in this new shiny edition, they're all there. If you spot any errors, let me know and I'll correct them!

This is the summary:

• Thammegil takes a total endurance loss of 13 points (7 damage from the Black Uruk, and 6 damage from orc soldier #2). Both hits were heavy blows.
  • Bláin is hit with a heavy blow from the Black Uruk (7 damage), and it's also a piercing blow. @Diofant, make a Protection test (TN 16) to avoid a wound. Orc soldier 1 rolled a 15 on his attack, but your Parry is listed as 14 (17), so I am not sure if it hits or not. If it hits, it's another 3 damage. Orc soldier 2 hits for 3 damage. In total, that's an endurance loss of 10-13 points.
  • Arton is hit for 3 endurance loss.
  • Elhadron is not hit.

As far as I can understand Travel rules in second edition, Fatigue points are not awarded until the end of the journey, so I don't think anyone is in danger of becoming Weary yet (unless they are carrying too much burden, of course). If unsure, feel free to ask me to look up the rule!

This is the current status of the enemies and the fight:

• Thammegil (Forward): Black Uruk (1/16), Orc Soldier 1 (12/12), Orc Soldier 2 (12/12)
  • Bláin (Forward): Black Uruk (5/16), Orc Soldier 1 (12/12), Orc Soldier 2 (12/12)
  • Arton (Defensive): Orc Soldier 1 (12/12)
  • Elhadron (Defensive): Orc Soldier 1 (12/12)
  • Total number of slain orcs: 2/10 (from opening volleys). Uruks count double.
  • Current Round: 2 (out of 4)

You can now change stances (if you want) and continue attacking. If you change stances, I will adjust your enemies as I mentioned above:

• Forward Stance: One Black Uruk, two Orc soldiers.
  • Open Stance: One Black Uruk, one Orc soldier.
  • Defensive Stance: Orc soldier using a thrusting spear.
  • Rear Stance: Goblin archers with bows of horn.

This may result in some of your enemies becoming 'disengaged' and thus unable to attack/be attacked, so consider this as well as everything else when making the choice.

Good luck!