Year 2950: Those who Tarry no Longer

Vladim

thammegil_ranger.webp

Staggering under the onslaught of blows from the advancing Orcs, Thammegil struggled to maintain his balance.  Two blows struck true but were not enough to cause injury.  Swinging his sword at the huge Uruk before him again, he attempted to put the creature down for good ...

OOC Actions

Added the missed d6 as an extra roll.  Total rolled is 13, with an Eye on the d12

Name
Forward Stance, Black Uruk, Base TN13
[𐍈] (2,6,2) = 10
tor(3,no) 11,2,6,2
Additional d6 for above attack roll...
1d6 3

BlainOne orc struck true, a glancing blow from another, and a miss from the next as he ducked under it. About as expected. The pain from the strikes was manageable, for now - Blain grit his teeth and remained silent, answering with a strike of his own to the Uruk's. They were three orcs that would not be attacking anyone else while he held his ground. It didnt matter. 

He wished to consider himself brave but knew better - he had simply felt like there was nothing else for him to do but stop their advance. At least do your job as a shield. Sneered an internal voice. He'd heard that warriors cried out in combat, to threaten the enemy, to boast, to intimidate - but Blain felt no such compulsion. It felt right to deliver sword strike after sword strike - like hammering at an anvil. Orcs could pass for slag... His vision darkened as the orc blade bit deep, but he swung his own in turn.

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Protection
[𐍈] (4,2,1,3,5) = 15
tor(5,no) 11,4,2,1,3,5
Wound Severity
[8] () = 8
tor(0,no) 8
Sword vs Uruk
[10] (6,3,3,2) = 24
tor(4,no) 10,6,3,3,2

Arton of Gram

Arton grimaced as Thammegil suffered a particularly harsh blow. Stepping forward he drew close to his own combatant encroaching on one of the orcs menacing Thammegil as well. 

"Back to your masters! Go back! There is no prize here but death for you!" he screamed as he swung hard at his opponents neck.

Name
Sword Strike Forward
[1] (1,5,1) = 8
tor(3,no) 1,1,5,1
I don't think the dice tower rolled the D12 so I put one here
1d12 8

With a powerful blow, Bláin had ran through the Uruk, slaying him instantly. As the black blood poured through the fuller of the dwarf's sword, the battle raged about him, the balance of power constantly shifting back and forth with each passing moment, and each blow exchanged.

Seeing his companion exposed, Arton rushed to Thammegil's side, drawing one orc away from him. But the enemies were merciless in their onslaught. They raised their swords and brought them down with all their might. One of their strongest had fallen, but there were many others ready to take his place. In the chaotic exchange, only Elhadron had managed to remain unscathed-all the others, fighting fiercely from a forward stance, had to test their endurance against more blows.

OOC

Summary of Round 2:

• Thammegil (Forward): Misses the Black Uruk. The Black Uruk hits him for 3 damage & Thammegil needs to make a Protection test (TN 16) or become wounded. The Orc Soldier hits him for 3 damage. Current opponents: Black Uruk (1/16), Orc Soldier 1 (12/12).
  • Blain (Forward): Slays the Black Uruk. Orc Soldier 1 hits him for 9 damage, the other misses. Current opponents: Orc Soldier 1 (12/12), Orc Soldier 2 (12/12).
  • Arton (Forward): Deals 5 damage to one of Thammegil’s orcs. Orc Soldier 1 hits him for 9 damage, the other misses. Current opponents: Orc Soldier 1 (12/12), Orc Soldier 2 (7/12).
  • Elhadron (Defensive): Misses. So does the orc attacking him. Current opponents: Orc Soldier 1 (12/12).
  • Total numbers of slain orcs: 4 (2 from opening volley, 1 Black Uruk slain by Blain. Uruks count double).
  • Current round: 3 (of 4).

Looks like some heavy damage for some PCs. As a reminder, knockback is still an option in second edition, and you can choose to take it:

Once each round, Player-­heroes can halve the Endurance loss caused by a successful attack (rounding fractions up) by choosing to be knocked back: they will spend their next main action recovering their fighting position.

I bent the adventure guidance a little bit for this round, but next round, new enemies will arrive, and I will allocate them according to your stance:

• Forward Stance: One Black Uruk, two Orc soldiers.
  • Open Stance: One Black Uruk, one Orc soldier.
  • Defensive Stance: Orc soldier using a thrusting spear.
  • Rear Stance: Goblin archers with bows of horn.

As much as I can, I will keep previous enemies and add fresh ones, and if you switch to stances which suggest fewer enemies, I will opt for keeping the more damaged enemies in the fight.

BlainWith the Black Uruk fallen, Blain stepped back, raising his shield and moving his back foot further to present the enemy a more defensive stance, continuing to stab from behind the shield. Unfortunately, his stabs went wide, and both orcs remained unharmed. It didnt matter. Two orcs he held up meant two orcs that were not striking anyone else. But the sooner they were dead, the sooner he could hold up two more. Gritting his teeth, Blain redoubled his efforts.

Name
Defensive vs Soldier
[𐍈] (0,5) (weary) = 5
tor(2,yes) 11,3,5

Though the arrows sung as they sprang from the bowstring, they did not strike true, much to Elhadron's disappointment, but he paid it no mind, for the great horde of goblins and uruks surged towards them. He cast his bow behind him, to the saddle where his horse stood and drew the longsword from his sheath, staying in the rear, with the buckler on one hand. The sword steel sang against the leather and he clutched at it with his hand. 

His eyes shone in starlight as the first orc came to meet him, trading blows back and forth, his own blade sparking against the crude armor of the orc soldier who hewed at him with a cruel fury. Elhadron stepped aside, parried, and riposted, dancing away from the heavy blows before lunging forward again to try and go past the defenses. 

thammegil_ranger.webp

The blow from the Black Uruk and one of his subordinate orcs had left Thammegil gravely wounded.  He was now beginning to rue his recklessness at leaping into the fray beforehand, but what else could he do?  It was his nature.  Now though, it was all he could do to defend himself whilst attempting to fall back amongst his allies, hoping that bringing himself closer to his comrades, he could take some of the pressure away from them, and they from he.

He took a wild swing at the Uruk before him as he attempted to retreat from the fore of the battle...

OOC Actions

Thammegil will attempt to disengage from his enemies and drop back into open stance during this round.

... and unless I'm very much mistaken, scratch one Black Uruk.

Name
Attack roll, black Uruk, Base TN13
[9] (4,3,4,3) = 23
tor(4,no) 9,4,3,4,3

Arton of Gram

Having exchanged blows and gotten the worst of it Arton felt a grim foreboding creep over him. This might indeed be the end. He chided himself for such thoughts. End or not, he would fight a battle worthy of his ancestors. He shifted his body weight rearward, aligning himself more fully with Thammegil and thrust again. Today would not be the day that men faltered.

Name
roll
[6] (4) = 10
tor(1,no) 6,4

Now all in the company fell back to a defensive posture, trying to ward off blows whilst holding their ground as best they could. Only Thammegil remained aggressive, yet even he seemed to grow wary of their many foes. Even then, with his keen blade he sought to cut down one of the lieutenants, and for a moment fortune favored him. A short-lived opening allowed a bold strike, and instantly his wild swing connected, claiming the life of yet another Black Uruk. He was the second to fall in a short time.

In the opposing side, the orcs, much like the company, were growing wary and weary. Thammegil's success gave them pause, and many chose not to press on as boldly and recklessly as they might have had at the onset. Instead, they let the fellowship fall back somewhat, and switched to long-spears, and from this safer distance they sought to drive them deep into their enemies. This sudden change in tactics seemed to work to their advantage: in the attack, the spear of the one that faced Arton found purchase...

OOC

Summary of round 3:

• Bláin (Defensive) misses. So does the orc attacking him. Current opponents: Orc Soldier 1 (12/12). In the dice thread, I made a mistake and rolled 2 attacks, but I should have only made the first, so ignore the second.
  • Thammegil (Open) slays the Black Uruk, but is hit for 3 damage by the Orc Soldier. Current opponents: Orc Soldier 1 (12/12), Orc Soldier 2 (12/12). The second one is added because of the Open stance. By the way, I removed the last d6 from your attack roll because the bonus die only applies in Forward stance. It was still good enough to hit though, so no change.
  • Elhadron (Defensive) misses. So does the orc attacking him. Current opponents: Orc Soldier 1 (12/12).
  • Arton (Defensive) misses and is hit for 3 damage and must make a Protection test vs. TN 14. Current opponents: Orc Soldier 2 (7/12).
  • Total numbers of slain orcs: 6 (2 from opening volley, 1 Black Uruk slain by Blain, 1 Black Uruk slain by Thammegil. Uruks count double).

• Current round: 4 (of 4).

This is the last round before the Eagles arrive. So let's roll those dice and resolve this scene soon! Good luck!

thammegil_ranger.webp

Weakening rapidly, Thammegil's spirit lifted somewhat as the huge Black Uruk fell to his blade at last.  Things were beginning to look dire though.  This, he had to admit, could be the end for him.  He would not, however, allow himself to fall into that black pit of despair.  He would fight to the bitter end, as he had always vowed to do in the hope that if he did indeed have to make that ultimate sacrifice, then he could die knowing that he at least gave his companions hope...

Steeling himself for one last swing of his blade, he shifted his feet and pivoted, bringing his sword around in a sweeping diagonal blow against one of the Orc Lieutenants that still harried him.  If this were to be his last moments in Middle Earth, he would at least attempt to take one of these foul, black creatures with him.

OOC Actions

Right, the 15 rolled means that the blow is a  piercing blow against the Orc (assuming it connects), and the 6 rolled means I'll also trigger a fend-off action this round as well, granting me a +2 to my parry rating for any incoming blow.

Name
Attack against one of the remaining Orcs (Base TN13)
[1] (6,4,4) = 15
tor(3,no) 1,6,4,4

BlainThe orc that remained attacking him seemed to have grown weary, as his hand shook just as he raised his weapon to strike the dwarf. Perhaps the song - or the sun - had begun to at last take effect. It did not matter. Nothing did, apart from keeping this orc occupied, so he could strike at no-one else. Blain did not make a sound, swinging his weapon with fingers that could barely feel his weapon. As long as he could stand, he would continue.

(Unsure where to put this, but I am spending Hope, thats why 3 dice)

Name
Defensive
[5] (0,0,0) (weary) = 5
tor(3,yes) 5,1,2,3

spacer.png

More cruel-looking spears rose from the great orc-host: a great hedge of them. The horde was now closing in methodically, and soon neither strength nor skill nor courage would make any difference. Only the law of sheer numbers, ruthless and cold and terrible. The company closed ranks around the lady, determined not to let the enemy take her, but when at long last all seemed futile and hopeless, and the inevitable end was upon them, the defenders felt a wild wind rush by overhead. They heard the beating of tremendous wings. The Orcs fell back in terror as a flight of gigantic birds swooped upon them from above, coming from the East.

It was as Irimë had hoped-her friends in high places had not forgotten her. They had come just in the nick of time.

At first, one of them lifted up Irimë, taking her gently into his talons. Then, two more picked Bláin and Arton, for they were wounded, and the creatures could perceive their peril. Then at last, when those three were secured, they turned to the others, even if they still were fighting, and despite any protests or resistance. Others yet grabbed orcs, but far less gently, and they flew off with them, but not for long: for soon they dropped them from a great height to break on the rocks below.

spacer.pngThe Orc captain roared from below to rally his troops as best he could, but already to the companions' ears, his cries were growing faint and irrelevant. “Stand and fight, you maggots! They’re only feathery cows!” he boasted, seizing a huge black bow and letting loose an arrow at one of the departing Eagles. The arrow flew straight and true, piercing the Eagle’s breast. But the bird did not fall, though its flight became more labored.

The Eagles soon were out of bow-shot, and could fly the company into the mountains unhindered. From up high, in the clear morning, the sight was both terrifying and exhilarating at once. They felt the rush of wind against their skin, blowing their hair into wild shapes and patterns. They had a panoramic view of the Vales of the Anduin. Not even the highest peak in Wilderland could afford them the vista that unfolded beneath them.

Far in the distance, their foes stood flustered and empty-handed. 

OOC

I hope you don't mind @Varon777 but I just moved us forward, your attack roll would probably not have mattered much at this point. I also skipped orc attacks because it seems not to matter-we got our demo combat in 2nd edition, so all good for me.

@Suzuki Stumpy For your attack roll, it's a hit, but I am not sure why you say it's a piercing blow? I thought that with Thammegil's sword, he needs a 9+ on the Feat die to score a piercing blow. Let me know in the OOC thread or at Discord so that I can have the final body count; I think it may be somewhat relevant in the audience with the Eagles that will follow.

I realize that I could have pushed the story forward, as this is basically a cutscene, but I thought you might want to right any reactions to what is happening, given that it's pretty dramatic. And, more practically, I'm down with a cold and a bit limited on time, so I can't write much more right now (but should be better next week).

• 2 weeks later...

Elhadron shuddered under the impact of another blow against his buckler and he struck out again, breathing heavily with the effort as the hedge of spears pressed close, hemming him and his companions in closer around Irime and his horse. 

His arm burned with the effort and he was splattered with blood, although whose he could not determine. His breath caught in his throat as he slashed and stabbed against the spear to break the points from the staves. 

Then Irime was gone and he spun in panic, but it was the shape of great eagles he saw, rather than an orc, followed shortly by others taking the rest of his companions. Then great claws grabbed him and he felt the ground drop beneath him, and the land spread out before him like a map. 

His head spun in surprise, but he could not keep his eyes away from the ground. 

BlainBláin, son of Lofar

Culture: Dwarves of Durin's FolkCultural Blessing – Redoubtable / Naugrim: You halve the Load rating of any armour you're wearing (rounding fractions up), including helms (but not shields). Cannot use Great Bows, Great Spears, and Great Shields.

Endurance Str + 22, Hope Heart + 8, Parry Wits + 10

Axes or Swords 2, Any 1

Languages: Khuzdul, Common
 | Standard of Living: Prosperous | AttributesStrength 6
Hearts 4
Wits 4
| CallingTreasure-Hunter

Favoured Skills (choose two): Stealth, Scan

Additional Distinctive Feature: Burglary: This venerable talent includes pickpocketing, lock picking, and, in general, any shadowy way to get a hold of possessions of others or access protected areas.

Shadow Path: Dragon-Sickness: Adventurers who find themselves on the Road to seek lost riches run the risk of catching the age-old disease capable of turning a pile of enchanted gold into bitter ashes. As the Shadow tightens its grip on their hearts, the world shrinks around them and their closely guarded possessions.
Distinctive FeaturesFierce, Cunning.
 | Adventure Points: 0 | Experience Points: 0 | Skill Points: 0 | ExpendituresSwords 2 -> 3: 6 EXP
Stealth 0 -> 2: 3 EXP
Awareness 0 -> 1: 1 EXP

Valour: 1Attack rolls made with a Keen weapon score a piercing blow also on a result of 9 on the feat die. | Wisdom: 1When inflicting Special Damage in combat, add +1 to your strength rating on a heavy blow and a +1 to the feat die numerical result on a Pierce. | Endurance: 26/26(28) | Load: 16 | Fatigue: 0[+6] | Hope: 12 | Shadow: 0 [0] | Parry: 14(17) | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wounded: No Injury: N/A | BackgroundBláin is a simple dwarf. He enjoys smithing and good food - but the smithing techniques of his father, and his father have never satisfied him; his head remained firmly 'in the clouds' as Lofar put it. Bláin dreams of the past skills of the smiths of Khazad-Dum, of the things that could be crafted again if they are rediscovered. Of course, such noble arts deserve only the finest in material - that is why his focus is to find and return the past riches the dwarves have lost. Most dont think finding the arts of the old masters are possible - after all, the world slowly wanes, what return to the glories of old could there be? And yet, the return to the Mountain was the beginning of another golden era for the folk of Durin - so much had been reclaimed - why could there not be more?

Skills: Body 6(TN 14)Awe ▣▣☐☐☐☐
Athletics ▣☐☐☐☐☐
Awareness ▣☐☐☐☐☐
Hunting ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Song ▣☐☐☐☐☐
+Craft ▣▣☐☐☐☐
 | Heart 4(TN16)Enhearten ☐☐☐☐☐☐
+Travel ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Insight ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Healing☐☐☐☐☐☐
Courtesy ▣☐☐☐☐☐
Battle ▣☐☐☐☐☐
| Wits 4(TN16)Persuade ☐☐☐☐☐☐
+Stealth ▣▣☐☐☐☐
+Scan ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Explore ▣▣☐☐☐☐
Riddle ▣▣☐☐☐☐
Lore ▣☐☐☐☐☐
| WeaponsSwords ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Bow ▣☐☐☐☐☐
 | War GearWeapon | Damage | Injury | Notes | Load
Sword 4 16 Keen 2
Bow 3 14 2

Armour/Shield | Protection | Parry | Load
Coat of Mail 4d 12(6)
Helm 1d 4(2)
Shield +2 4
| EquipmentTreasure Rating: 90
War Gear: Coat of Mail, Helm, Shield
Nameless Pony: Vigor 2
 | Soft-Sole Boots(Stealth)As someone who has to do a lot of travelling, Bláin believes comfortable boots are a necessity - but even more importantly, perhaps is the natural advantage of such boots creaking a lot less when you are not trying to wake the entire population of the Misty Mountains' goblins. | Hooded Lantern(Scan)Dwarves' eyes are sharp in the dark - though perhaps not quite as sharp as the elves', though they would never admit it. But though the dark is fine for dark business, shedding a bit of light has ever been the way to see new perspectives... | Fine Rope and Hook(Athletics)There are few things as necessary in an adventurer's toolkit as a good, quality length of rope. Weaved by the excellent craftsmen of Dale, the hook forged by Lofar for his son, Bláin treasures this. 

Bláin could no longer feel his hand, raising and lowering it to make the strikes as if in a deep sleep - the pain had passed, and only weariness remained. He did not know how many times the orcs had struck him - he was dully aware that blood oozed down his armor, and that his shield arm shook worse than his brother when he'd gotten that bad fever. He realized, with the back of his mind, that his contribution to this fight was effectively nothing, at this point. He knew full well that his skill was lacking, but even so - he was a body in the shield wall. A strike that fell on him would not land on another. There was worth, in that. There was honor. If this is where it led him... then that was all there was to it. The world blackened around him, as if dark mist had begun to roll over, and the dwarf had bitterly concluded that this was it. He could barely hear the howls of the orcs, as is deep underwater - and so, could not distinguish that the orcs' howls were disappointed. He could not understand what was happening, when he was lifted into the air - but he no longer knew nor cared, only seeing the events as if in a fever dream, clutching his weapon and shield with his last strength.