Book 2: Chapter 1 - A Diamond in the Rough

Powderhorn

Unknown Town, Spring, Day 44

spacer.png

The halfling's voice trails off as the group begins to approach, having been talking to a younger female halfling next to him. "Welcome to the Llaisy Forest, home of the Havenwood Union. Truly, where are you from, and what news do you bring? Or do you not understand me at all?"

spacer.pngApproaching the stern-looking halfling, Iphigenia observed the man; he looked like a local leader, perhaps an elder. Her companions seemed reluctant to speak, but she could not blame them for being so wary: already they had ran into trouble with the elves, and though she herself had not accompanied them in that encounter, having stayed on the ship, she had heard a tale or two.

Still, someone had to do the talking-and the halfling seemed fair in his questions.

"Well met, sir." she started, trying to adopt as amicable a tone as possible, and avoid looking down on the stout fellow. "I am Iphigenia Ines, and these are the men and women of the Philadelphia, our vessel. We come from the North, but we are a disparate folk from many lands and many kingdoms, and you would receive a different answer from each of us, were you to ask. We only seek what hospitality you might offer, and to parlay, as it is our mission to establish trade with what friendly folk are willing."

OOC

There. Hope I didn't screw anything up. I am not sure if I should roll or engage the mechanics, but if so, this is just a reminder that she has the Well Met focus, which might be relevant to get a more positive reaction, maybe...

Llaisy Forest, Spring, Day 44

spacer.pngThe man gives an incredulous look to Iphigenia. "My name is Fennel, and while I'm happy to see people who claim to be friendly enough, if you're from the north, I'm an orc." He looks down at his hands, and up his arms.

"Nope. Not an orc. You're not from around here - this language has one speaker on this continent - me. So, let's try that again - where are you really from?"

'Old Man' Hinson

spacer.pngHinson listens to the exchange of Fennel and Iphigenia, and it's irritating him. Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the cot, or somebody peed in his grits, but seriously? A little voice in his head briefly suggested putting a bullet through Fennel's skull, an uncharacteristic thought, but that was his mood now. Normally he did not bring this up, but the little twit was getting on his last nerve.

"Ok. You want to know where we are from? I cannot tell you where they are from but I had a small farm on the mainland, South Eastlook, until the northerner's decided otherwise. I had a beautiful wife and three wonderful children. That was until the north decided they wanted my farm and killed every living thing. Now I'm here with these folk, exploring these lands, having nothing else better to do other than shoot things that either piss me off or try to attack us. Does that answer your question?"

Instead of waiting for an answer, Hinson makes his way off the ship not waiting for the others. His facial expression is one to not be messed with.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon stood stone still as his friend exhibited the sharper side of his personality. As Hinson walked past him he whispered under his beard,

"Now who has trust issues..."

Clearing his throat he raised his voice for Fennel,

"We've all had a few bad experiences here. We do live north of you right now. Consider it to be a recent development.

But, if you are the only folk who speak this language in this land, how did you come by the knowledge of it?"

spacer.png"I am Fennel Greenwhistle, you see - I myself hail from Kelmar. I spent many years studying our planet, and came convinced that there had to be more land to the north - a lot of it. So, oh, about a decade or so ago, I made my journey north to prove it. Well, prove it I did, and got shipwrecked in the process, but in time was fortunate enough to find my way here, amongst my own people, though long separated in the annals of history." He peers over the group.

"That is why I want to know where you're really from, because I already know the sort of people who speak this language. These people," he says, gesturing to the halflings around him, "are going to ask me if we should trust you."

spacer.pngIphigenia furrowed her brow, but she bit her tongue and bid her time, letting the others speak for themselves; twas, after all, only fair to do so. The halfling was proving quite obstinate, but her patience was soon rewarded with intriguing new information. More land-an undiscovered continent. A tale most fascinating indeed.

When at last Fennel had revealed this, she interceded again, and spoke to justify her own words and actions.

"You, sir, ought not be so swift to call us liars. My companion speaks the truth: we do dwell northwards of here. Yet if you must know, I hail from the Southland originally, in Kelmar as you correctly guess. Though it has been long since I set foot in that country; in truth, the ship is more home than any country at present."

She took a deep breath, trying to maintain her composure. She did not like being called a liar, especially when she had done little to earn such title. But she had to put her own pride aside.

"I cannot speak for the others. As I have said already, we are a disparate folk. And still, if you wish to weigh whether we are worthy of trust, you should judge us by our disposition, sir, and by our character, and not the place of that particular port from which we set sail from."

spacer.png"Err... no. Not that one. That one was long before my time - I'd be surprised it's still there except it's always seemingly still there. Their ghosts haunt the waters in the area, but it seems they have no interest or ability to come ashore. Free Marcher's, I wager - the exact sort of people we don't want around here. I suppose, then, you are from Ironridge, and that is that."

He nods to the halfling next to him. "Greta will accompany you, you will need a scout, and she has a knack for languages. Welcome to the Glowing Expanse - don't get caught by the Maliente."

Greta Starling

Greta StarlingThe young halfling girl, while clearly interested in the conversation, has said nothing until now. She surveyed the group as Fennel spoke, but she didn't share his stern countenance. Rather, her expression was cool, curious, and somewhat disarming. Her attention seemed often to linger with the dwarf.

When Fennel introduces her, she whispers something out loud in halflingThank you, Fennel. Thank you!, then bows deeply to the newcomers. Her single ponytail falls gently over her shoulder. An inviting smile creeps into her face.

"Welcome to the Glowing Expanse," she repeats. Her common is slow and slightly awkward, but perfectly understandable. "I am Greta Starling. I am most happy to see you."

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"Perhaps a night's rest on solid ground would do us good."

Karadoon fidgeted with his belt, ill at ease. This place was odd, no one had attempted to sell him a single worthless trinket yet. Perhaps it was the language barrier.

"Greta, I am Karadoon of the Iron Ridge, as Fennell noted. This place seems rather permanent. Is this a trade outpost for your caravans? Or perhaps a winter encampment? Why did you name your village the Glowing Expanse? "

spacer.pngFennel hastens to explain the confusion - "Ah, the Glowing Expanse is the term for the entire continent - no doubt for the evening light shows we get with some regularity. You are within the Llaisey Forest, which his home to the Havenwood Union of halflings. This town is just called Harbortown, being, well..." he gestures to the harbor, and then to the town.

"It's not that this is a stop on a trading caravan. This is an isolated refuge held by bow and blood - survival is through careful hunting, gathering, and fishing, but the Maliente would see us destroyed if they could. To our knowledge, thus far we have been able to destroy their scouting parties in whole so no word of our location could come back to them."

Greta Starling

Greta StarlingGreta watches Fennel carefully as he speaks. Occasionally, she murmurs something silently to herself; she seems to be repeating certain words as he says them. When he finishes answering Karadoon's questions, she adds, "Harbortown is our home. Our unknown safety from the black-heart Maliente."

"Dark elves," she adds solemnly.

"It pleases me to see y—to meet you, dwarf-Karadoon."

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"Well, Greta, if them black elves are trying to kill you like they did us I suppose you wouldn't want to run a bunch of caravans in and out of here. You can rest assured we will breathe no word of your secret.

Still I find it odd that that Fennel speaks of blood and bows. Your people are not known as warriors. Are the other races present here?"

Greta Starling

Greta StarlingGreta smiles and nods at Karadoon's words.

"We are a..." She whispers a word to herself in halfling.homogeneous "We are all alike here. All halfling.

"You are the first dwarf I have ever put my eyes upon," she adds unabashedly.

"Havenwood Union has warriors. Small bands of halfling forest-warriors, who stay the fight afar, in the forest, away from Harbortown and the other safe-towns." She furrows her brow in thought. "Refuges, I mean. Our warriors follow the ways of Bramble Quickfoot, who first won against the Maliente with tricks and surprises."