Book 2: Chapter 1 - A Diamond in the Rough

Powderhorn

'Old Man' Hinson

spacer.pngHinson huffs. Not one, but two 'refugee' locations as Greta states. And the forest warriors? To him it sounded as though a small kingdom was being set up. Then again, he came to this land looking for adventure and they established a beachhead. Maybe we are all alike, conquering under different names.

"So, how many 'refugee' camps are there? Two so far you have mentioned. I may be direct, but seems to me you are leaving some details out, which is understandable as you do not know us, but you keep whispering to yourself in some strange language."

He was interesting, though, in the forest warriors. "I've spent a lot of time hunting all forms of life." He makes a point to run his hand across 'Ole Bess's stock where he has markings of those officers he killed and some special entries as well. "Might be able to provide exchange tactics." Not flattering himself, he was good with the rifle, but was always willing to learn something new.

Llaisy Forest, Spring, Day 44

spacer.png"Well, think of it like a net, with different clusters of ropes together forming villages, and strings of independent homesteads in between. Harbortown is the largest, safest, and most permanent of the lot with about three hundred people in it. All told, in the Llaisey Forest and, by extension the Havenwood Union, I would say there are about a thousand of us. I know of no other such places on the continent. I have not seen humans or dwarves, nor heard of them here, since I arrived. It is possible that some survive in similarly remote places, but they would be hard to reach, easily defensible, and small, as the Maliente continue to maintain dominion over the Glowing Expanse."

Greta Starling

Greta StarlingThe halfling looks confused, and slightly hurt. "Forgive me," she says to Hinson. "I'm only still learning your language. You are the first original speakers I have met. At times I must...remember...to myself. Do you know? My whispers are rememberings to myself, in my own tongue."

A warm smile returns to Greta's face. "I'm happy to teach you our words on our journey, if you like. It may be a...a good knowledge to have in your travels."

She looks back to Karadoon. "I hope also to learn a new language for myself this journey."

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"We found such a place Fennell. Old it was, and not looted by them black elves. Bugs got in. Big ones, burning with an inner heat. I doubt very much that my people remain. I don't know if the black elves use those things as pets or if they lived here naturally. But they clearly wiped out a hold of hundreds in very little time.

Greta your people, with their tricks and surprises seem to have managed what no one else could. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. Things here always seem backwards. Maybe it's those lights in the sky. Greta, do you know why everything that ought to be dead in this land gets back up?"

spacer.pngIphigenia listened with interest at the conversations unfolding around her. She was content to do so quietly, at least for the time being: for there was still a great deal to learn, and the sooner she knew more about the locals and their troubles, the better.

The talk of dark elves and fighting caught her ear, and a thought begun to form in her mind. If these proud folk needed an advantage against their enemy... what about guns? Her peoples had them, though she had no inkling if their mission to trade included such weapons. Still, it was an intriguing thought... and also, perhaps it would prove a potent bargaining chip in parlays to come...

Greta Starling

Greta Starling"I cannot speak of it, Karadoon, for I have spent most of my days within the refuge. I am a street-merchant, you see. I have only heard talk of the waking dead. I may have seen a ship of them once; I can not know for certain.

"As for the reasons, everybody thinks differently on this subject. I believe nobody knows completely. Magic is most probably at work for it. Fennel has told me that you do not have the graces of magic so much in Kelmar. But it thrives here, in the Glowing Expanse. It can be as proper a tool as a hammer, or a ship, or a cart."

A shadow falls upon Greta's face. "The waking dead do bring danger with them, that is most certain. But not in the way the Maliente do. They don't seek to destroy us. They are just angry as they wander."

'Old Man' Hinson

spacer.png"Well. I can say for one I would rather deal with the Maliente than the undead. At least the Maliente are living creatures that bleed." Though it did not show, he stuttered slighly.

"We seem to have encountered our fair share, and yes, that boat you were talking about, it is real. Dead. But real. Bloody thing tried to overtake us. You know, we should have just blown the thing up when we had a chance. There was enough powder there to send it back to where ever it needed to go."

Edited by theclaytster (see edit history)

Karadoon
spacer.png

Karadoon nodded in agreement with each point Hinson made.

"Well spoken old friend. Although with hindsight, I'm not convinced blowing it up might have worked.

Unless my eyes deceived me, it was a ghostly shimmering version of the ship. Not the ship itself which chased us. Mayhap we would only have ensured they chased us down.

Come to think of it lad, we got the glowing lights in the sky here. We got glowing ghost ships. Every blasted race we meet seems to be using magic like i use my hammer.

Is it possible them glowing sky lights are the cause? Iphigenia, you've been sailing a while. Have you ever heard tales of them?

Edited by thesloth (see edit history)

Greta Starling

Greta StarlingGreta smiles gently at Hinson's words. "Perhaps it is a question of," she begins, but pauses. After repeating a word to herself a few times in halfling, she continues. "Of different sights, or ways of seeing. When you are fighting to travel, the roaming threats are most important to you. When you are fighting for your home, the ever-seeking invaders are what you fear the most."

"In time I may," she adds cordially, "Come to fear the waking dead as much as you do."

Cormac Oldwillow

Screenshot_20230808_191209_Chrome.jpg.8a0ee9ccfd8dfb3133434a0c64f145ca.jpgA late arrival to the exchange was another halfling clad in well worn clothes, with unkempt hair and stubble on his chin. Cormac was unsure what to make of these new arrivals, having only learned of them a few minutes ago. Thankfully they were intercepted by Fennel, who had met these kind of people before. The only tall-folk Cormac had much experience with were the Maliente, and them, more experience in conflict than anything else.

He listened closely to the words spoken to these outsiders. He wasn't sure it wise to speak on their numbers, but if Fennel wasn't interjecting, there wasn't need for him to do so. Much like Greta, he rarely spoke the language they spoke, having only learned it when he was younger listening to the stories of Fennel's travels. Better now than never he supposed.

Greta is right. Dead are very less danger than the living to us. He said, They are like bears in the cave; only dangerous to the ones who crawl inside. He pointedly looks at the ship these newcomers arrived in.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon turned, slightly startled at the newcomer's voice. He had the look of a hard worn traveler. His sturdy, sensible clothes marked him as a man who had to make hard choices. Perhaps the halflings in Kelmar were of a different clan.

"Indeed, the two we found after crawling into a cellar nearly took the skin right off us. Yet you fear them elves more? How long have you been fighting the living and the dead?"

Greta Starling

Greta StarlingThe halfling girl shrugs. "For as long as any person here can remember, we have fought the Maliente. Havenwood was not the first home for our people. We were driven here long, long ago. Our people hid, and we hoped the fight would end, but it never seems to end, so long as them elves," she says, carefully imitating Karadoon's accent with her newfound phrase, "continue to seek us out to destroy us."

"I have books, back at my hand-cart. Inside there are...pieces of the story. But it seems to me that no one person has all of it."

"As for them dead who are awake," Greta continues, pointing out to the sea, "They are a..."

She murmurs a word to herself in halfling, and settles on: "They are a great unknowing to us."

Edited by Mourning Star (see edit history)

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon turned his head from face to face, silently evaluating their would-be hosts.

"Books you say? Do they tell the stories of the other peoples who used to live here as well?

Fennel, perhaps we both could benefit from a short stay. We explored a river, came across a couple things that might be of interest to you. Not that you travel much, but it never hurts to know whats going on nearby.

In return I would like to read these books."

'Old Man' Hinson

spacer.pngBooks. Something Hinson was not interested in but knew that would spark some interest in the old Dwarf. Hinson considered himself a hands-on learner. Books were for those who went to learn. They do no good if you are starving or trying to survive.

Hinson pats Karadoon on the back, being supportive. "Might be something interesting in her cart."

Greta Starling

Greta Starling"I am happy to share my books with you, Karadoon. There are many stories, some even from them dark elves and them orcs. I can help you with translating the Orcish and Drow, if you like. But please understand that my own knowledge of those tongues is not strong."

Greta points back to the town behind her. "My books, however, are not here. I will be sure to retrieve them before we depart."

Something lights up in the halfling's eyes, bringing life to her features. "Perhaps," she says with a bated whisper, "You can teach to me something in trade. You speak the Dwarven language, no?"