Character Creation Q&A

PureChance

Interested in this game!

What's the ability score generation like? Is it Standard point buy? Point array?

And is Tasha's thingy to swap ability score placements allowed (so instead of +2 Str and +1 Con, it can be +2 Con and +1 Int)?

Good point, had forgotten about that! Standard 27 point buy (or array as choice, though I believe all arrays are creatable with 27 point buy) . I'm disinclined to go for Tasha's swaps, unless people find it particularly restrictive. I think all the races get some reasonably good other benefits. For the Innate Spellcasting though, happy to have INT/WIS/CHA as choice rather than Cha alone for ease.

Deadline selected slightly arbitrarily, may be extended based on applications. Hopefully you find some inspiration in Greece, certainly setting appropriate!

Though don't rely on that, if I get a bunch of great applications I won't be extending it to make my decisions even harder!

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

I adore Greek mythology, so I'm very glad I stumbled across this! As a shameless Wonder Woman fan, I'm digging through the Theros book for information on any Amazon-paralogues, and hope to submit a character of some sort this week. (Leaning Fighter, though Barbarian, Paladin and Monk are also in the mental running.)

Edit: Reading through the gods, I have some ideas. This is purely hypothetical, I'm not sold on the idea, but I thought it could be interesting to discuss. Let's say I lean towards a Barbarian (...or Fighter or Monk or Hexblade Warlock or...) of Mogis, God of Slaughter. I know we have another (excellent) application that is a Paladin of Ioras, Mogis' twin brother and rival. Given our characters are specifically working towards the glory of their gods, would it be assumed two such characters couldn't be selected, as it'd be difficult to have them both gaining piety without presumably tearing each other apart?

I'm leaning towards an Amazon as a sort of vengeance-seeker, someone seeking retribution for the harms done to women, so I could see her being a more Chaotic Neutral-ish take on Mogis, and therefore more amenable to working together where there is a common cause. But I know the game is less character driven and I don't want to force a ton of focus to resolve these character conflicts. Just thinking aloud.

Edited by Little_Rudo (see edit history)

Not sure there's a strict parallel, but the polis Setessa is largely populated by women (men are encouraged to wander the world to find their destiny, whereas women are encouraged to martial pursuits) , ancestry is traced matrilineally , and the city is integrated with forest. It's patron is Karametra, God of Harvest (which stretches from agriculture to more abstract harvest cycles such as life and death), with Nylea (God of the Hunt) also strongly represented, though the general population of course pay worship to the entire pantheon depending on situation, lest they offend one member in particular and draw their ire.

The citizens pay homage to both Iroas and Mogis in equal parts as two sides of war, so a Devotion to Mogis wouldn't be unreasonable.

As regards characters, I wouldn't say it would preclude both being selected - you're free to have inter character conflict but it's not going to be the focus of the adventures. Iroas and Mogis are twin brothers, and the Legendary Companion bond could be an interesting dynamic. I image the Devoted of Mogis would have slightly more difficulty avoiding conflict with the Devoted of Iroas, since Mogis specifically calls out a desire to kill worshippers of Iroas, whereas Iroas only seeks to halt Mogis himself. As you gain Piety, and thus attention, this is likely to get more insistent and may result in losing Piety (or even divine retribution) if you can't come up with a reason to avoid doing so that sates your god's wishes. One such excuse could be trying to lure the Devoted of Iroas to give in to the dark side of war, revel in his strength, and convert to Mogis.

Of note, most people are generally going to be ill disposed towards a Devoted of the God of Slaughter , though perhaps too fearful to act too publicly

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Thanks for the info! I've got a stew brewing, a Chaotic Neutral warrior who is driven by a bloodlust to avenge horrific harms against women. The cruel murder of her mother while she was still in the womb filled her with cries of vengeance and wrath with her very first breath. While she tempers her rage just enough to function in civilized society - the better for finding the right targets for her rage - once her rage is let loose she is a wild, terrible thing, and I fully expect her to struggle with how far does she go under Mogis sway. Does she fully give in to the bloodlust? Give up her ways and take up the mantle of some other, kinder deity? Wallow on lost paths for a time, unsure of where her fates will lead? We can find out together!

Leaning Human, and unsure yet if I'll go Barbarian (likely Zealot) or Hexblade Warlock. The former is easily the most obvious interpretation, the latter could be really fun to play with as her spells and invocations show an anger and lust for vengeance that goes well beyond mortal ken.

1 hour ago, PureChance said:

Not sure there's a strict parallel, but the polis Setessa is largely populated by women (men are encouraged to wander the world to find their destiny, whereas women are encouraged to martial pursuits) , ancestry is traced matrilineally , and the city is integrated with forest. It's patron is Karametra, God of Harvest (which stretches from agriculture to more abstract harvest cycles such as life and death), with Nylea (God of the Hunt) also strongly represented, though the general population of course pay worship to the entire pantheon depending on situation, lest they offend one member in particular and draw their ire.

Thanks for for posting this additional information on Setessa! I was planning on making my character from that area and it inspired me to look up more online about the area of Theros. It's really got a lot of good stuff to work with!

Thanks again for the nudge!

That'll be interesting, a follower of Mogis and Iroh who is a follower of Iroas.

Especially since Mogis either wants Iroh killed for serving Iroas, or wants him for himself because he is an Oracle as well (probably going to be a deity based whim 😛).

Well, at least Iroh will be mostly chill with this, as long as you aren't going to kill innocents or try to be deceitful.

A group where, when we speak, everyone needs to listen. Because who knows who is speaking as themselves and who is speaking as a God?

And now imagine the Gods deciding to have a conversation with one another through us. 😄

At least these aren't actual greek gods. Can you imagine a bunch of Oracles starting to chat away and then Zeus's Oracle decides to try flirting with someone and who knows if he's flirting with his Oracle, the other Gods Oracle or the other God themselves? And the correct answer is probably yes. 😄

Edited by Pheonixfire (see edit history)

ร—
ร—