Character Creation Q&A

PureChance

1 hour ago, RillaTaj said:

@PureChance What would you think of Mercer's homebrew College of Tragedy for a Bard? I usually hate to haul in non-official sources, but it seems pretty good for an Ancient Greek-themed setting. Perhaps as a follower of Erebos or Klothys?

Just had a look, definitely seems appropriate flavour. Go right ahead!

I’ve been mulling over some concepts in my head and I think I’m going to go for a hexblade warlock of Athreos. A nyxborn who was formed out of a moment of Athreos reflecting on the souls who come unprepared to pay the toll of passage.

I was just wondering if there was any insight regarding if any racial options would be more or less fitting as a nyxborn stemming from some part of Athreos’ thoughts, or if I should just go with something fun that works with the build? I feel like the nyxborn aspect will have more of a focus than the race itself for me.

All Nyxborn are idea given form, so I'd say go with whichever race gives the mechanics you feel appropriate, and flavour them appropriately - Variant Human is probably going to give you the largest variety via its feat which could be flavoured as some inherent power, but if for example you liked the idea of a Nyxborn related to the God of Passage being more mobile then perhaps Satyr's increased movement and jumping would be appropriate.

I would say that as a Nyxborn, you needn't physically resemble the race you're based off of.

I have a concept nailed down for my character, but work got away from me this weekend, I'm hoping to have a proper write-up done next week. I typically ask if I can just use a D&D Beyond link as a sheet, but as I can't figure out how to add the supernatural gifts and piety, I'll borrow someone's sheet formatting.

Looking forward to getting to dig in to my little ragey baby!

23 minutes ago, Little_Rudo said:

I have a concept nailed down for my character, but work got away from me this weekend, I'm hoping to have a proper write-up done next week. I typically ask if I can just use a D&D Beyond link as a sheet, but as I can't figure out how to add the supernatural gifts and piety, I'll borrow someone's sheet formatting.

Looking forward to getting to dig in to my little ragey baby!

You can steal my sheet formatting if you want.

Any if the three options - standard gear and sell for half, roll for gold, or take average gold. Any gear granted by your background is in addition to whichever option you pick .

Just make it clear which one you're doing, and what you're buying/selling

OK, setting question: should we incorporate or ignore the Planeswalker elements of the Theros setting? And if we're acknowledging the wider multiverse, what part of that storyline are we in? Has the New Phyrexia war already been fought? Has Xenagos risen and fallen? Or does the game predate all those things?

Xenagos may exist, or has existed? The Theros book has him dead (which also says he'd have to be for Klothys to have returned, as that mess was the trigger for her re-emergence), so I've been going on that. Is he still around, in your world?

Also, if a race is in the Theros book, but has an updated version, do you have a preference as to which version we use?

Edited by RillaTaj (see edit history)

Incidentally, in terms of topic tags , it is useful for me if you tag your topic as ready for review when you've finished it. The remainder of the tags I don't particularly mind, but Class and God would probably be the most pertinent

ร—
ร—